Start by marking “Cartboy and the Time Capsule” as Want to Read:
Cartboy and the Time Capsule

Cartboy and the Time Capsule

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  24 reviews
In the tradition of Diary of a Wimpy Kid comes this laugh-out-loud debut novel about sixth-grader Hal Rifkind—unfortunately nicknamed “Cartboy”—and his horribly historic, hilarious year.

Hal hates history class—it literally bores him to tears. But his father is a big history buff, and unless Hal gets a good grade this year, he’ll never get his own room. Sixth grade gets off...more
Published April 2nd 2013 by Starscape

To ask other readers questions about Cartboy and the Time Capsule, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Keshon Willis
Have you ever wonder how was it when you was not born yet? so many thing was different like fashion was different, cell phones was different. also i almost forgot my book name is cartboy and the time capsule, by L.A. Campbell,this is a fiction book.I think this is no exceptions the best book ever.I just love this book I think every one should read this book.

My book was about a boy and his life like what was happening during that time like the whole book was about a time capsule, it was a history...more
Alisa Hedden
Say hello to Hal Rifkind. He is a 6th grader that is a pretty typical boy, wanting to play video games with his best friend, dreams of the ultimate, coolest transportation, would love to have his own room and thinks history is boring, per Hal “history is the most boring thing on the planet!” Unfortunately, he is also facing the very real danger of failing history.
While trying to navigate the pitfalls of 6th grade, with hand-me-down clothes, betrayals and a first dance, Hal, very realistically,...more
Red Letter
For our first middle-grade review, we gave this book to families and elementary teachers with kids who are fans of the Wimpy Kid series to see what they thought. Here's a peek:

Shawna "Both of my kids (9 year old boy and 11 year old girl) loved it, and asked if there would be more in the series. My 9 y/o likes, but does not love, to read, so when he would make a point of going to his room and reading, I knew this book was a winner." Grade: A

Colleen B. "I thought the book to be a short, quick read...more
Kate Hastings
Grades 5-7. Hal Rifkind is barely surviving his first year of middle school. He still shares a room with his two baby sisters, carries his books to school in an old-lady grocery cart, is barely passing history and has a best friend that has betrayed his darkest secret just to get a "cheat" to level-up on a computer game. All of this is documented in the time-capsule journal he has to write for a school assignment--complete with photos, timelines and doodles. Fun book!
Kristi
Who wants another read-alike for Diary of a Wimpy Kid? I knew you did. Here's one for you! Hal has to write about modern life for a time capsule project in history class. Hal's sharp and hilarious musings on history, modern life and the future will have kids snorting with laughter. Hal's misadventures are realistic and ridiculous. Cartboy and the Time Capsule has less doodles and more text, but most Wimpy kids will enjoy it anyway.
pati
This is actually one of the better Diary-esque type books. The main character is still a whining boy who is more interested in video games than school (especially history), but the story is solid. If it makes a kid pick up a book, then maybe it is worthwhile to have so many books of this kind.
Caden
I liked the illustrations. Cartboy and the Time Capsule was too hard (well, i thought so) untill I read it. it was great. page to page entertainment and hillariousness. especialy for a 1st grader. It was a great book from start to middle to end. Cartboy was funny.
Terryann
CAMPBELL, L.A.. Cartboy and the Time Capsule. 204 p. Starscape. Apr 2013. ISBN: 978-0-7653-3317-9. $12.99. F.

Gr 5-7
Hal just wants what every sixth grade boy wants: more time for video games and no history tests. Unfortunately for Hal, eccentric parents, lack of funds and a grueling history teacher (Mr. Tupkin) are all out to get him. Mr. Tupkin takes the cake when he assigns the class to each write a yearlong journal which will be added to a time capsule. Hal’s journal is filled with photos and...more
Readersentertainment
Cartboy and the Time Capsule looks at the challenges of middle school through the eyes, and assignment of one Hal Rifkind, sixth grader. The book could be read by ages 8 and up with discussions including peer pressure, what to do when you get embarrassed, empathy, responsibility and mean kids.

Hal’s assignment is to write a journal to kids of the future which will be put into a time capsule and not opened for many years.
Hal’s journal entries are hilarious and reflect the point of view of your ty...more
Miffy
Cartboy, aka Hal Rifkind, is struggling through 6th grade. History is boring, the middle school dance is coming up and he doesn't want to go, his mum and dad are trying all sorts of weird things to save money, and he and his best mate, Arnie, can't figure out how to get the scythe for the hero, Susie, in Level 13 of RavenCave. There's mean older brothers and their jerk friends, there's a set of baby twin sisters, there's girls (eew!), and there's school. Hal's has it pretty rough. And the last s...more
Angela
Young readers will probably enjoy this story. It rings similar to Diary of a Wimpy Kid with a not so popular kid trying to make it through high school. Hal deals with friendship, popularity and family issues. Some readers will notice signs that Hal's family struggles financially which leads to difficulties like the shared bedroom and the cart.
Nan
Definitely trying to be like Diary of a Wimpy Kid, but fell flat for me. No characters are very likable and the story was pretty thin. Lots of drawings and photos mixed in with the text, including an attempt at humorous timeline at the end of each chapter. Not going to put in my library unless someone requests it.
Saad
Hal Rifkind, dubbed 'Cartboy' by his classmates wants his own room. He'll have to work for it however, because his dad isn't that pleased with his history grade - a C. His life seems to be going in a downhill flow. He tries sucking up to his parents, bit eventually, something happens that he would never have predicted.
Allison Carmen
I always felt that there were not enough funny well-written books for middle school children. My children loved the Wimpy Kid series, but have been craving for something else to read for some time. Cartboy and the Time Capsule is just the series they have been looking for (only one book has been published but i am hoping it will be a series!). My children absolutely loved the book and I found them laughing out loud several times. I was so curious what they were laughing about that I read the boo...more
Jen
Hal is a 6th grade student who can't believe that his history teacher assigned them an assignment for the whole year. Over the course of a year, Hal has to assemble a time capsule filled with journal entries. These journal entries are pieces of history that will be hidden and found by somebody in the future. Throughout this book he is retelling his experiences in Middle School so that people in the future can see what his life was like. There are cute illustrations and pictures throughout the bo...more
Carriek
Cartboy and the Time Capsule is funny realistic fiction. Fans of Nate or Wimpy Kid might want to give Cartboy a try. There's a bit of potty humor in this one! Written in first-person narrative, the story is enhanced with photographs and drawings. Cartboy is an endearing nerd, and I hope that the author will write more about him.
Melissa
The father in this book refers to watching his own children as "babysitting". Sigh. Full of illustrations that do nothing to add to the story- I feel like they were slapped on at the end because the author wanted the book to be more like Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
Harla
I enjoyed meeting the "Cartboy"! He was actually a very likeable character and funny as well. Fast read and would appeal to the readers of Diary of a wimpy kid.
Carrie
Hal was a little twerpy and not as likeable as Greg Heffley, but still a great Wimpy Kid read-alike, really funny moments and overall a memorable premise.
Lara
Ha! Yes! This funny kid accidentally writes a book while illustrating it with visual aids. I lol'd. At work. Which is where I read it.
Dina
While it had a few really funny moments, I didn't really enjoy it until the end when Hal actually grows up a bit.
Rebecca
This is really funny! I laughed out loud a few times. It's kinda like Wimpy Kid, but way less "over the top."
Rachel
didn't finish, not funny, the main character is pretty unlikeable.
Renata
Was going to say, "Not bad for a kids book," and then realized that that sort of thinking goes against everything I stand for. So I docked it another star.
Michelle
Michelle is currently reading it
Oct 20, 2014
Stephanie Raines
Stephanie Raines marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Jaxon
Jaxon added it
Oct 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
L. A. CAMPBELL grew up in Park Ridge, New Jersey, and attended the University of Colorado, graduating with a degree in journalism. She started her own ad agency, which won awards for work on such brands as Comedy Central and New York magazine. Cartboy and the Time Capsule is her first book. She lives in New York City with her husband and two children.

More about L.A. Campbell...
Cartboy Goes to Camp