Start by marking “Farseed” as Want to Read:
Farseed

Farseed (Seed #2)

3.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  124 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Centuries ago, the people of Earth sent Ship into space. Deep within its core, it carried the seed of humankind....

More than twenty years have passed since Ship left its children on an uninhabited, earthlike planet. Zoheret and her companions have started settlements and had children of their own. But soon after their arrival, Zoheret's old nemesis, Ho, struck out on his o
Published January 8th 2013 by Tor Teen (first published March 6th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Farseed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farseed

Andrea
Feb 24, 2013 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Wow, this review is kind of tough to write. The Seed Trilogy has so much going on, and I feel that without some background about book one, Earthseed, some who read this may be lost. To do that would require a lot of details, so check it out on GoodReads; I've provided the link to my review of Earthseed at the bottom of the post. Basically, I described Earthseed as Across the Universe meets The Hunger Games. Pretty cool, right? But don't think this book is a ripoff of those books, Earthseed origi ...more
J.L. Dobias
Nov 25, 2014 J.L. Dobias rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: SFF fans and Young Adult and anyone who read Earthseed
Shelves: book-shelf-09
I read Earthseed a while ago and almost started Farseed but it seemed almost a bit leaning toward the Lord of the Flies and I'm more into science fiction than the the whole psychology of survival of potentially degenerate societies. I finally picked it up to read and almost read it through at one sitting. This is definitely a book that you have to read carefully.

As a part of the trilogy it has its position and usually number two can tend to take a dip. This novel is not all that bad and I would
Melissa
Feb 08, 2013 Melissa rated it liked it
This is the second in the Seed Trilogy. The first is Earthseed. We pick up this installment several years later and are following the second generation since they were "seeded" on the new planet, Home. We still have the characters from the second book. The main character, Zoheret, from the last book still plays a major part, but plays a secondary character to her daughter, Leila. And although I thought the secondary characters from the last book was too much undefined, that was not the case in t ...more
Arminzerella
Natalie
Very boring.

The idea is a good one. Earth is dead. Some of the humans created Ship to carry human "seeds" to another inhabitable planet. Ship did that. Now it has been decades since Ship left the colonizers on Home. Ho took a group of people off and now his daughter, Nuy, is wondering if her father's way is really the best way. When she encounters three people who come from the main settlement she tries to lead one back to her father with disastrous consequences. Now she is on the run with the
Gendou
Sep 11, 2013 Gendou rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about people from Earth on an alien planet. They were delivered there by the artificial intelligence that pilots an asteroid converted to an interstellar space ship.

Some stuff happens to some characters, or whatever. There's tribal rivalry and people kill each other. I can't tell you how mind-numbingly insignificant it all feels, compared to the grandeur of the first book.

In the end, it turns out that the young generation of humans born on this alien planet have absorbed some native
Stewart
Aug 31, 2012 Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Farseed is one of those books that took me a while to start enjoying. I won the book through a Goodreads giveaway initially had the thought that it would be terrible because it was another a teen book. And I'll be honest, it is very obviously a book directed a teens. The reading comprehension level is definitely not any higher than that - in fact, my 6 year old could read it and understand what is going on for the most part. However, it is also a very good book and makes up for the lack of depth ...more
Chapter by Chapter
Where in Earthseed, the first installment to the Seed series by Pamela Sargent, captured my attention pretty much from the get go, Farseed, book two took a while for me to get into.

Farseed by Pamela Sargent takes place twenty years from where Earthseed had left off. Ship is still out in space trying to locate more habitable planets for humans, and the original characters from book one are and somewhat wiser.

Although characters that we’ve come to know and love from the first installment are prese
Chapter by Chapter
Feb 17, 2013 Chapter by Chapter rated it liked it

terpkristin
Audiobook from Blackstone Audio, Inc.
Narrated by Amy Rubinate
Length: just under 9 hours

Farseed is the second book in the Seed Trilogy, the follow- up to Earthseed. I enjoyed Earthseed (my review) and looked forward to the continuation of the story.

Sadly, Farseed was not nearly as good as its predecessor. Where Earthseed was a book about a spaceship raising kids, preparing them to "seed" other worlds, Farseed was a book about frontier life. The story takes place approximately 30 years after the e
Steven Brandt (Audiobook-Heaven)
In the second book of Pamela Sargent’s Seed Trilogy, Ship has finally found a suitable world on which to deposit the seed of humanity it has been carrying. This group of youngsters was literally born on Ship from genetic material that it carried, and was raised by Ship for the express purpose of colonizing a planet.

During their voyage, it was Zoheret who displayed the best leadership skills, and it is she that becomes leader of the new colony on the planet they have named Home. And it was Ho who
Jan 15, 2013 Sarah rated it it was ok
Farseed is slow, and much of the book seems to dissect lifestyles, beliefs and evolutionary differences between two peoples. Once a true “problem” is present to the plot, things do get a bit interesting. That being said, Sargent doesn’t end the book in a satisfying way. In fact, I was fairly confused by why various people did the things they did, and believed what they believed and some of the evolutionary differences were hard to believe given a paltry thirty year gap for them to arise. I didn’ ...more
Mary
Jan 15, 2014 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wavering on my star rating here - this is a very well-crafted story, and I liked it and admired the writing, but I did not find it gripping.

I think part of my problem may be that I didn't read Earthseed, the prequel. As a result, I didn't fully understand who the characters were. The dialogue with Ship is a rather intriguing way to bring new readers up to speed, but it's also a bit distancing.

That said, I found both Nuy and Leila believable, admirable young women, and I thought both plot and wo
Diana Green
I'm sorry to say, I just couldn't get into this one and finally gave up. It might have gotten better, later on (especially based on how great the first book was - a five star in my opinion), but my life is too busy to stick with a book that's dragging. Sorry. I will look for this author's other work, as I really loved Earthseed.
KWinks
I had a hard time with this one. Perhaps I should not have picked it up just after reading Earthseed?
This one seemed so bogged down in politics, and I finished the book still unsure of what Ho's motivations were. I just did not get him or why anyone would follow him. I cheered for Nuy, but many of her successes seemed based on luck. I also found myself disliking most of the residents of the main settlement and, in my mind, saw the settlement people vs the river people as class warfare that was s
Sara Diane
This is a sequal to Earthseed, one of my favorite books as a teen. Lo and behold, there is a sequal that I didn't know about (which isn't my fault, it took her 20 years to write it! It just came out last year.). While there isn't as much draw in the second one, because it continued the story in part of the characters I fell in love with in the first one, I enjoyed it. The book takes place 20 some years after Ship leaves the young people on their new planet--they now have children and their child ...more
Hyzenthlay
Apr 14, 2014 Hyzenthlay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite as good as the first, but still better than a lot of YA that's out there right now.
Dashiel
Won from a Goodreads giveaway

This book could have been a lot better. The change of the point of view of the two main female protagonists wasn't very fluid; some parts of the book were just rather boring, and the book shouldn't have had as much unnecessary politics in it. There was a few too many characters in the book to all keep track of, and I found myself drawn to some characters over the others, because some were more life-like and felt more real for me.

However, I did enjoy reading the book,
Mitchell
book 2 in the seed trilogy. An interesting dark ya set about 20 years after some people are dropped off on a colony planet. Mostly it is about the conflict between a splinter group that is slowly dying out and the settled group which is needing to be unsettled some. There could be a lot more here and it could have been less obviously written for YA - but the characters are good. I especially like having the characters really see the other group as alien. More like a 3.5 out of 5.
Norah
Jul 24, 2010 Norah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set on the planet that the kids from the first book in this series, Earthseed, colonized, this picks up a generation later. It's just as interesting philosophically, but there's major problems with the plot and pacing and structure which made this a frustrating read, even though I was interested in several characters and really wanted to know what would happen. The problem is mainly in trying to tell several storylines, from several points of view, together, and not doing it well.
Dianne
Jan 13, 2014 Dianne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had trouble finishing it, near the end it was very predictable and I just skimmed that last 40 pages or so. I will read the last book in the trilogy now that I'm 2/3 in.
Wendy
May 04, 2014 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a 3.5 star book in my opinion :)
Foggygirl
Oct 09, 2012 Foggygirl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's the mark of an excellent story that immediately after reading the first book that I went out and bought the second book in order to keep reading. An excellent sequel and I am off to read the third book now.
Emily
Though I loved Earthseed, I felt like this one was an inadequate sequel. We know that the two groups are going to meet, but the book spent entirely too much time leading up to the confrontation.
Kevin
Feb 14, 2013 Kevin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The long-awaited 2007 sequel to the 1983 novel Earthseed. Meh. It devolved into an odd drama that lacked a real protagonist.
Pilars Scott
Unsatisfying end :(
Liarx46
Liarx46 marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Abby Thompson
Abby Thompson marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
  • The Stone That Never Came Down
  • The Haunting of Apartment 101 (The Paranormalists, #1)
  • Debris Dreams
  • Barbary
  • Red Lightning (Thunder and Lightning, #2)
  • The Planet Thieves (The Planet Thieves, #1)
  • Nothing Human
  • The Ammonite Violin & Others
  • The Assassination Game (Star Trek: Starfleet Academy, #4)
  • DJ Rising
  • Chasing Before (The Memory Chronicles, #2)
  • Ex-KOP (Juno Mozambe Mystery #2)
  • Last Night at the Ritz
  • The Color of Rain
  • Mendoza in Hollywood (The Company, #3)
  • Edda (Epic #3)
  • Fossil Hunter (Quintaglio Ascension, #2)
  • The Water Thief
Pamela Sargent has won the Nebula Award, the Locus Award, and has been a finalist for the Hugo Award, the Theodore Sturgeon Memorial Award, and the Sidewise Award for alternate history. In 2012, she was honored with the Pilgrim Award by the Science Fiction Research Association for lifetime achievement in science fiction scholarship. She is the author of the novels Cloned Lives, The Sudden Star, Wa ...more
More about Pamela Sargent...

Seed (3 books)