Smart Talk: The Public Speaker's Guide to Success in Every Situation

Smart Talk: The Public Speaker's Guide to Success in Every Situation

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Have you ever lost out on a promotion? Struggled with a difficult conversation? Been put on the spot and blanked? Imagine if...

...you were better at persuading others andnegotiating for what you want.
...you were more fluent at introducing yourself, making conversation, and following up.
...you were better at delivering feedback, receiving criticism, and using positive langu...more
Published January 22nd 2013 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Smart Talk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smart Talk

Erin
Smart Talk: The Public Speaker's Guide to Success in Every Situation is a fantastic book packed full of tips and ideas that can be useful for anyone. This book not only caters to how you can better communicate what you want to say to other people, but how you can negotiate and build up other people.

This book is great for helping you identify your weaknesses and strengths when communicating with other people. It shows you how you can improve and say things in a more acceptable manner by just simp...more
Erin
Initially, I thought this book would help me with my public speaking. However, I was pleasantly surprised by how much information I learned about communicating in general. Well written with great insight into how one can become a more thorough communicator across all avenues of one's life.
Bill Jackman
Very useful.
Raphi
This book is helpful in many ways. I feel a lot better after reading Lisa's perspective on the wide variety of topics she covers in the book and the helpful tips and quiz's from the website. I am not in the us invests world and this definitely makes a lot of business references and office situations, but very easy to follow and definitely a great guide to make basic conversation with anyone autonomic and with your own personal charisma.
Poy Espiritu
basic basic info. im halfway done but so far its just really basic knowledge. i dont need to be reminded how to write an email or thank you. i will be open mind tho and keep reading but so fae its basic.

almost done but got too bored with it.
good for managers it is very work business related aimed for managers.

im not a manager so it doesnt do me good 80% of it. still 3 stars. basic basic basic info most ppl already know. 3 stars is generous.
Sam-sam
As a college senior about to enter the work world, Smart Talk is a godsend. But really, Lisa B. Marshall's book on how to communicate better in any situation can benefit anyone who is open to it. This is the kind of book that you can read all the way through and then refer back to different sections when desired. There are amusing chapter names like "Tongue Fu" and "Magically Delicious!"

Lisa uses many effective strategies to connect with the reader. I appreciate her willingness to share persona...more
Gloriavirtutisumbra
This was one of those books I just couldn't finish. and it was on audio too, and i _still_ couldn't bring myself to finish it. I think i had been hoping for a book more on giving speeches not maneuvering your public image. What can i say, i'm an 18th century kinda girl.
Tian Hai
I have been listening to her podcast since the beginning of her podcast career. She always always always provides great tips I couldn't have found out anywhere else. I have been one of her huge fans and always will be.

This book is great because it's like the condensed version of all the great public speaking tips she's given in her podcast and more. Lisa acts very personal in the book, making it feels like I have hired my personal coach. She shares a lot of her experiences for us to learn. I can...more
L
As someone with some experience in speaking and communication skills, this book still proved immensely helpful. Each of the chapters is organized with a concise summary at the end. The topics discussed are relevant to work and personal life. Incredibly useful to anyone and everyone.
Sherri
I found Smart Talk to be helpful for any situation - whether you need to make a speech or just need to work on communication skills at work or with friends and family. I love Lisa Marshall's writing style and sense of humor. The bonus materials are fun and education too.
Janalee
Some chapters were 2 stars, but the good chapters were 4 stars. Many great chapters on people skills.
Roland Martinez
A good overall communication round up.
Nikki Tobias
good information and practical tips
Adam
Web to web. Who knew?
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Daniel Lienata
Daniel Lienata is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2014
Safaa Alhertani
Safaa Alhertani marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Elvia
Elvia is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2014
Raghu Vamshi
Raghu Vamshi marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Ambassador116
Ambassador116 marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Mckenna Stout
Mckenna Stout is currently reading it
Aug 03, 2014
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
MUHAMMAD AKBAR
MUHAMMAD AKBAR marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Passionate. Authentic. Practical. Interactive. Fun. Expert.

Most people know me as the host of The Public Speaker podcast which has earned over 9 million downloads since debuting in 2008. The show has remained an iTunes top 3 podcast in the careers category for over three years and was nominated as a top five podcast in 2009 and 2010.

However, working together with organizations and individuals is w...more
More about Lisa B. Marshall...
Ace Your Interview (The Public Speaker's Guide) The Public Speaker's Guide to Ace Your Interview: 6 Steps to Get the Job You Want Quick and Dirty Tips for Life After College: Your Ultimate Guide to Career Success (Quick & Dirty Tips)