Start by marking “Smart Talk: The Public Speaker's Guide to Success in Every Situation” as Want to Read:
Smart Talk: The Public Speaker's Guide to Success in Every Situation

Smart Talk: The Public Speaker's Guide to Success in Every Situation

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Have you ever lost out on a promotion? Struggled with a difficult conversation? Been put on the spot and blanked? Imagine if...

...you were better at persuading others andnegotiating for what you want.
...you were more fluent at introducing yourself, making conversation, and following up.
...you were better at delivering feedback, receiving criticism, and using positive langu
Published January 22nd 2013 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Smart Talk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smart Talk

Erin
Smart Talk: The Public Speaker's Guide to Success in Every Situation is a fantastic book packed full of tips and ideas that can be useful for anyone. This book not only caters to how you can better communicate what you want to say to other people, but how you can negotiate and build up other people.

This book is great for helping you identify your weaknesses and strengths when communicating with other people. It shows you how you can improve and say things in a more acceptable manner by just simp
Lois W. Stern
Smart Talk by Lisa B. Marshall
When I first opened Smart Talk, I thought I was about to explore a self-help book for work force communication, but soon discovered this book is so much more. Lisa describes Smart Talk as “The Swiss Army Knife of Communication” and you know how handy that little gadget can be for so many situations! The same can be said for Smart Talk, for it guides us to be master communicators in all phases of our lives - from the intimacy of our homes to winning over our busines
Erin
Initially, I thought this book would help me with my public speaking. However, I was pleasantly surprised by how much information I learned about communicating in general. Well written with great insight into how one can become a more thorough communicator across all avenues of one's life.
Sam-sam
As a college senior about to enter the work world, Smart Talk is a godsend. But really, Lisa B. Marshall's book on how to communicate better in any situation can benefit anyone who is open to it. This is the kind of book that you can read all the way through and then refer back to different sections when desired. There are amusing chapter names like "Tongue Fu" and "Magically Delicious!"

Lisa uses many effective strategies to connect with the reader. I appreciate her willingness to share persona
L
As someone with some experience in speaking and communication skills, this book still proved immensely helpful. Each of the chapters is organized with a concise summary at the end. The topics discussed are relevant to work and personal life. Incredibly useful to anyone and everyone.
Sherri
I found Smart Talk to be helpful for any situation - whether you need to make a speech or just need to work on communication skills at work or with friends and family. I love Lisa Marshall's writing style and sense of humor. The bonus materials are fun and education too.
Bill Jackman
Very useful.
Raphi
This book is helpful in many ways. I feel a lot better after reading Lisa's perspective on the wide variety of topics she covers in the book and the helpful tips and quiz's from the website. I am not in the us invests world and this definitely makes a lot of business references and office situations, but very easy to follow and definitely a great guide to make basic conversation with anyone autonomic and with your own personal charisma.
Poy Espiritu
basic basic info. im halfway done but so far its just really basic knowledge. i dont need to be reminded how to write an email or thank you. i will be open mind tho and keep reading but so fae its basic.

almost done but got too bored with it.
good for managers it is very work business related aimed for managers.

im not a manager so it doesnt do me good 80% of it. still 3 stars. basic basic basic info most ppl already know. 3 stars is generous.
LemontreeLime
This was one of those books I just couldn't finish. and it was on audio too, and i _still_ couldn't bring myself to finish it. I think i had been hoping for a book more on giving speeches not maneuvering your public image. What can i say, i'm an 18th century kinda girl.
Tian Hai English
I have been listening to her podcast since the beginning of her podcast career. She always always always provides great tips I couldn't have found out anywhere else. I have been one of her huge fans and always will be.

This book is great because it's like the condensed version of all the great public speaking tips she's given in her podcast and more. Lisa acts very personal in the book, making it feels like I have hired my personal coach. She shares a lot of her experiences for us to learn. I can
Janalee
Some chapters were 2 stars, but the good chapters were 4 stars. Many great chapters on people skills.
Roland Martinez
A good overall communication round up.
Nikki Tobias
good information and practical tips
Adam
Web to web. Who knew?
Courtney
Courtney is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2015
Mohamed
Mohamed marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Joe
Joe is currently reading it
Mar 17, 2015
Walid
Walid marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Andrew Bondi
Andrew Bondi marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Andra
Andra marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Kesh
Kesh marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Michael McEachern
Michael McEachern marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Bhargavi Palchuru
Bhargavi Palchuru marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Wirda Twain
Wirda Twain marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Corinne Maynes
Corinne Maynes marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Abdelmajed
Abdelmajed is currently reading it
Jan 21, 2015
  • Gentleman: A Timeless Guide to Fashion
  • Conquest of Mind
  • Esquire The Handbook of Style: A Man's Guide to Looking Good
  • Remember Everything You Want and Manage the Rest: Improve your Memory and Learning, Organize Your Brain, and Effectively Manage Your Knowledge
  • The 8 Minute Organizer: Easy Solutions to Simplify Your Life in Your Spare Time
  • How To Say It
  • How to Get a Date Worth Keeping
  • Who Gets Promoted, Who Doesn't, and Why: 10 Things You'd Better Do If You Want to Get Ahead
  • The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive: The Four Disciplines at the Heart of Making Any Organization World Class
  • Carrots and Sticks Don't Work: Build a Culture of Employee Engagement with the Principles of RESPECT
  • Jimmy Stu Lives!
  • Quests of Shadowind: Sky Shifter (Young Adult Series - Book 1)
  • 101 Dog Tricks: Step by Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog
  • Serial Date (Leine Basso, #1)
  • Billy Blue Sky
  • The Devil Made Me Do It
  • Six Sigma for Dummies
  • New Queer Cinema: The Director's Cut
Passionate. Authentic. Practical. Interactive. Fun. Expert.

Most people know me as the host of The Public Speaker podcast which has earned over 15 million downloads since debuting in 2008. The show has remained an iTunes top 3 podcast in the careers category for over three years and was nominated as a top five podcast in 2009 and 2010. The podcast remains in the top 25 career category. I am also ho
More about Lisa B. Marshall...
Ace Your Interview (The Public Speaker's Guide) The Public Speaker's Guide to Ace Your Interview: 6 Steps to Get the Job You Want Quick and Dirty Tips for Life After College: Your Ultimate Guide to Career Success (Quick & Dirty Tips)