Start by marking “Hostile Shores (Alan Lewrie, #19)” as Want to Read:
Hostile Shores (Alan Lewrie, #19)

Hostile Shores (Alan Lewrie #19)

"Lambdin is closing on Patrick O'Brian as the most prolific historical novelist to celebrate a Royal Navy mariner." —Washington Times

In 1805, with news ofAdmiral Nelson's death fresh on his mind, Captain Lewrie's HMS Reliant joins up in the voyage that will culminate in the Battle of Cape Town,in whichthe British wrested control of South Africa from the Dutch. In the wake
Published February 26th 2013 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published February 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Hostile Shores, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hostile Shores

Judy
Author Dewey Lambdin grabs a couple of events in English naval history and wraps his scamp of a ship captain's life around them. Its a fun way to learn-you-some-history, especially with the roguish Captain Alan Lewrie and crew of the Reliant.

The no-plot, follow-history writing has its downfalls, such as pages and pages of dialogue in-between events. The dialogue is funny enough that the first 100 or so pages kept my attention, but my attention began to wane when I realized that the structure of
Mr. Matt
Dec 10, 2013 Mr. Matt rated it liked it
I feel a little guilty rating this book only three stars - technically three and a half, rounded down to three.

I've read every book in Alan Lewrie series. I've followed the man's life from his humble beginnings as a teenage ne'er-do-well who is basically press ganged into the Royal Navy during the American Revolution. I've grown to genuinely like the man, which is a huge compliment to the author. I was eager to read the next chapter in Lewrie's life. So why only three stars?

The book feels transi
Bob
Nov 18, 2013 Bob rated it really liked it
I agree Lambdin is coasting and won't allow Captain Lewrie true success. It was a good book and a good read. I look forward to next years effort, hoping we don't spend the whole next book "on the hard" in England.
Jim Hunter
Mar 16, 2013 Jim Hunter rated it it was ok
Ok though the story was weak
lots of filler not as sharp as earlier books
D.w.
Jun 19, 2015 D.w. rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
The Lewrie series continues and yet here, once more, in a year when we could have had one more close encounter at Trafalgar for a naval hero, we miss that battle. We hear about it, as one might have during the times, but we are nor there. Instead we are aiding to transport cavalry to the invasion of the Cape of Good Hope.

Something that Julian Stockwin showed us with Kydd around the time that this book was published. I am not sure who came first.

Lambdin does show us the first encounter against
Don
Jul 29, 2014 Don rated it liked it
The author Lambdin is coasting here. While all the familiar characters that we love are still there, the writing is not inspired. It's just another day at the office for Alan Lewrie in Hostile Shores. The author writes as if he is tired of the story.

However, I note there are a lot of 5-star reviews here, many of which were made months before the book was even released. Is someone gaming the ratings system?

Peter Joseph has a 5-star rating for this book that he made months before the book's releas
Jim
Jan 18, 2016 Jim rated it it was amazing
This is yet another in the wonderful series of naval adventures in the Napoleonic period. It features Post Captain Alan Lewrie. In this book, the year is 1805, and Lewrie, captain of the frigate, HMS Reliant is ordered, after a cleaning of the ship's hull and some re-coppering, to join a British fleet en route Cape Town. The fleet is convoying and supporting a large contingent of British army intent on recapturing Cape Town and the surrounding area from the Dutch, who are, at this point, ...more
John Walker
Mar 04, 2013 John Walker rated it it was amazing
Once again Dewey Lambdin proves to me why he is my favorite author. Alan Lewrie is a great character with all his faults, and trust me they are many.
I began with Lambdin;s first books back in 1989, The King's Coat and never looked back.

Any fan of the late George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman series will feel at home here. You don't have to read this series in order, but I'd say it would good to see the progress of Lewrie as a young man sent to the Royal Navy as a spoiled brat to become a Captain.
Harry Moncelle
May 21, 2013 Harry Moncelle rated it really liked it
Dewey Lambdin provides an entertaining stroy with plenty of adventure, military and naval rivalry, and politics of England's privledged classes and rommance of English "Ladies". I read other reviews of this book and found the authors of those reviews a bit harsh. Lambdin is a "story teller" he provides us with adventures of friends we have met over the past18 books and animales we have come to love and care for as much as Sir Alen Lewrie. I anxouisly await the next instalment of Capt. sir Alen ...more
Rick Hollis
Jul 29, 2013 Rick Hollis rated it really liked it
This is # 19 in this series. Decent Naval Historical Fiction.

Lambkin writes good books, but there are times when the pace just lags. He does not do a great job with the action on land in the UK. ANd I could care less about Lewrie's cats.

But the naval action is good. Not up to standards of C. S. Forester's Hornblower novels, which really set the standards for naval fiction. Nor for that matter not up to Bernard Cornwell's non naval novels.

This is the second one of these that I have read and I wi
David Rubin
Jul 14, 2013 David Rubin rated it really liked it
Another good naval yarn by Dewey Lambdin involving our Captain hero Alan Lewrie, this time with more adventures in the Caribbean. As usual, he runs into trouble with higher ranking officers, and part of the fun of this series is to see how he extricates himself from trouble, or immerses himself in even more trouble.

Dandy reading; buy the whole series!
Debra Davis
Great as always. Lots of fun on the high seas with Captain Lewrie and company! Highly accurate descriptions of a ship to ship battle off the Argentine coats. Worth you time to settle down with any Captain Lewrie adventure, for sure.
Eric
Apr 22, 2013 Eric rated it really liked it
Reading Dewey Lambdin's books is like putting on your favorite jeans and T-shirt. I thoroughly enjoy his books.
Michael Rhode
Nov 22, 2014 Michael Rhode rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Slow, and pretty minor, but I'm probably reading too many of these in a row to catch up for the spring book release.
Roberta Groves
Jun 06, 2013 Roberta Groves rated it really liked it
Shelves: lori
Have read all the Dewey Lamdins. Think I might have been a sailor during Napoleonic Wars in a past life.
Scott Osborne
Scott Osborne rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2014
Stefan
Stefan rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2014
J Phipps
J Phipps rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Jim Veatch
Jim Veatch rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2016
Snowyowl
Snowyowl rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2015
David
David rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2013
happy
happy rated it liked it
May 04, 2013
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Debbie
Debbie rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Patricrk patrick
Patricrk patrick rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2013
Pete Vanwyhe
Pete Vanwyhe rated it really liked it
May 07, 2015
John E Herron
John E Herron rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2013
JAMES R. PLATIS
JAMES R. PLATIS rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Paul Strittmatter
Paul Strittmatter rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Aspen Junge
Aspen Junge rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2013
  • Conquest (Kydd Sea Adventures, #12)
  • By the Mast Divided (John Pearce, #1)
  • For My Country's Freedom (Richard Bolitho, #23)
  • Sails on the Horizon: A Novel of the Napoleonic Wars
  • The Winds of Folly (Nathan Peake, #4)
  • Ramage & the Renegades (The Lord Ramage Novels, #12)
Dewey Lambdin (1945- ) is an American nautical historical novelist. He is best known for his Alan Lewrie naval adventure series, set during the Napoleonic Wars. Besides the Alan Lewrie series, he is also the author of What Lies Buried: a novel of Old Cape Fear.

A self-proclaimed "Navy Brat," Lambdin spent a good deal of his early days on both coasts of the U.S.A., and overseas duty stations, with h
More about Dewey Lambdin...

Alan Lewrie (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The King's Coat (Alan Lewrie, #1)
  • The French Admiral (Alan Lewrie, #2)
  • The King's Commission (Alan Lewrie, #3)
  • The King's Privateer (Alan Lewrie, #4)
  • The Gun Ketch (Alan Lewrie, #5)
  • H.M.S. Cockerel (Alan Lewrie, #6)
  • A King's Commander (Alan Lewrie, #7)
  • Jester's Fortune (Alan Lewrie, #8)
  • King's Captain (Alan Lewrie, #9)
  • Sea of Grey (Alan Lewrie, #10)