Start by marking “Son of a Gambling Man: My Journey from a Casino Family to the Governor's Mansion” as Want to Read:

it was amazing 5.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1 Rating  ·  1 Review
A memoir of growing up in mob-run Sin City from a casino heir-turned-governor who’s seen two sides of every coin

When Bob Miller arrived in Las Vegas as a boy, it was a small, dusty city, a far cry from the glamorous, exciting place it is today. Driving the familycar was his father Ross Miller, a tough guy—though a good family man—who had operated on both sides of the law o
Published March 12th 2013 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published March 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Son of a Gambling Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Son of a Gambling Man

Erika Armstrong
Apr 17, 2013 Erika Armstrong rated it liked it
I think this book might have great appeal to people who are interested in Las Vegas history. My problem was that I grew up here and nothing new was introduced. Rather than a shocking look into las Vegas's past, it was a story of the former governor's life and rise to office. I can tell that Mr. miller is a great man, and I'm glad he served our state throughout his life.
Ken
Dec 09, 2016 Ken rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
great story and good items of nevada history
Roger
Apr 29, 2013 Roger rated it it was ok
Bob Miller writes like a politician. He has nothing to say of substances; the things he does say are totally self serving; and there are signs of hypocrisy throughout the book.

As a Nevada resident, I know how things have changed over the years and how Las Vegas dominates the state. These things are kind of sloughed over by Miller. The most interesting part of the book is what Las Vegas was like when he arrived in the late 1950s. It was truly a small town and Miller was in the right place at the
Sonya
Aug 19, 2015 Sonya rated it it was ok
Some interesting backstory to one of the State's longtime politicians. A few good anecdotes and the insider political dealings in NV government. The second half was less appealing in that the focus was on the light side of the mechanics of his campaigns and left some gaps and questions about what some of the actual outcomes were. He certainly did not hide his feelings about particular figures in his accounts. I don't recall some of the issues quite the same -as I grew up here in LV during his ...more
Bea
Dec 14, 2013 Bea rated it it was ok
If you want a little history of Las Vegas and the Chicago unions and thugs that helped start them, the beginning of this book is good for that. It takes you back to the 50s when Las Vegas was still pretty small and casinos were run by former mob members. It is very poorly written, though, and the last half wasn't much interest to me, but maybe would be to someone who is really interested in Nevada and stories told by a former governor.
Taryn Stansbury
May 30, 2015 Taryn Stansbury rated it it was amazing
As a Nevadan (and a Miller Middle School alumna) it is fascinating to read about the history of Nevada. Miller has a great story of growing up in Las Vegas and watching it grow into the big city it is now. A very interesting memoir from a great governor.
The Irish Lass Kat
Feb 16, 2016 The Irish Lass Kat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kat-s-library
This was a very interesting and great book. I really liked Bob Miller when he was our Governor and I learned so much more about his service to my home state.
Leigh
Leigh rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2013
Christopher Moyer
Christopher Moyer rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2013
juliann Fischer
juliann Fischer rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2016
Hope
Hope rated it did not like it
Sep 02, 2013
Kellie
Kellie rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2013
Dave
Dave rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2013
Gio LastName
Gio LastName rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
Robyn
Robyn rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2013
Terri
Terri rated it really liked it
May 20, 2015
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Helen
Apr 12, 2013 Helen rated it it was amazing
This is a very entertaining memoir. Anyone interested in NV history will enjoy it.
HELENE M BARD
HELENE M BARD rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2015
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2013
Don McNay
Don McNay rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2015
db
Jan 01, 2014 db rated it it was ok
An obviously one-sided, but interesting take on Nevada politics and a family's history.
Brant
Brant rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2013
Nancy Yob
Nancy Yob marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2013
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2013
Lousetta
Lousetta marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2013
Linda Marr
Linda Marr marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2013
Lynda Mcguirk
Lynda Mcguirk marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2013
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2013
Jane
Jane added it
Jun 19, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2013
Corie
Corie is currently reading it
Jul 30, 2013
John Novak
John Novak marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2013
Ash Wilson
Ash Wilson marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
William
William marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Carol
Carol added it
Feb 09, 2016
Lorene
Lorene added it
Apr 26, 2016
Dolli
Dolli marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Jim McA
Jim McA marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
BOB MILLER is Nevada’s longest serving governor, holding office from 1989 to 1999. His son, Ross, who is named after his grandfather, is presently in his second term as Nevada’s secretary of state.
More about Bob Miller...