Start by marking “Love and Happiness” as Want to Read:
Love and Happiness

Love and Happiness

2.49 of 5 stars 2.49  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The author of The Romantics and A Taxonomy of Barnacles tackles the ultimate romantic minefield- marriage- in LOVE AND HAPPINESS.

Galt Niederhoffer's previous novels have been layered stories of connections, both made and missed, and explorations of the spark that leads to enduring love. LOVE AND HAPPINESS is a mature and involving novel with a love quadrangle at its core
Published July 9th 2013 by St. Martin's Press (first published April 23rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Love and Happiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love and Happiness

Kate
Do you enjoy fiction? Don't worry, this novel can change that.

It's my own fault, really. I got to this bit on page 12...
"Wow," he said. It was the first time Jean had heard the word uttered in earnest.

...and I kept reading. I got what I deserved.
Stephanie
This is the first goodreads "first-reads" I have won. I probably signed up for it based on the title, not knowing the author at all. I struggled to get into the book and did not like the writing style. I also did not like the content. I wished the main character had more of a sense of self and wasn't just trying to remedy her life by finding a new man. Her relationship with her husband and children were poorly developed. The characters and the story line were dull. The book contained several typ ...more
Alexandra
Galt Niederhoffer is no doubt a good writer. Prose is nice, sentences string together fluidly into interesting paragraphs. But when you put all of the paragraphs together into the overall story, it just doesn't seem to make much sense. Or when you think it does, it doesn't last for long and you end up super confused.
The main character Jean really annoyed me. She was so unsure of literally everything. Herself, the world and people around her. She questioned EVERY LITTLE THING and not in a curiou
Karstee
I don't know if I've ever hated a main character more.
Mary Cooper
Mundane. Uninspired. Could not finish despite several efforts.
Kelly
Ann
I received this book from GoodReads First Reads

After years of marriage and two kids, Jean feels disconnected from the life she has built. Her relationship with her husband, Sam, is an empty shell; she goes through the motions of every day life yearning for something more. During a business trip she meets Ben, an attractive and mysterious man whose mere existence consumes her thoughts.

Though Love and Happiness is described as a novel with a "love quadrangle" it's more of a triangle. Doug, Jea
Rhonda
Let me start by saying that I enjoy light romances where I can escape the real world for a while. Due to my desire to escape and enjoy light and happy stories, this was a difficult read for me. The story never really grabbed me andI did not connect with the main character,Jean, at all.Although, I understood that she was confused and dissatisfied withher life, I did notlike to reading about her dating anothermananddrafting emails to an exboyfriend.A side from the infidelity and betrayal, I did li ...more
Lyle Appleyard
I recieved an advanced reading copy of this novel from the Goodreads Giveaway.

A woman is in a marriage that she does feel part of anymore. She meets a man that intrigues her. She tracks him down. They start what seems a harmless friendship. The well laid plans of mice and men.

This is not the first book that has the main character of a woman have an affair outside of the marriage. So what could the author do differently? The twist is that theman has a girlfriend already and only wants to be frien
Becky Sandham Mathwin
I didn't like this book but it was compelling enough that I finished it so I'm putting it in the "okay" category (I don't finish books that I really don't like). I didn't find the characters or the plot particularly interesting and the novel just didn't gel for me. The characters were underdeveloped and the chapters didn't flow well. However, I was curious enough to finish it so I guess that's something.
Loredana Ingenito
Wrote a long review & the app stopped working.... I'm not rewriting it....all in all it was an OK read. Cliche' story, written in prose (which should be left to poetry) which gets frustrating fast if you're trying to get into a story & not have to "interpret" every paragraph.
Joy
This novel is like a finely painted miniature -- Niederhoffer holds a magnifying glass over the question "what is intimacy?" and then paints it in all its nuances. The main character, Jean, is having a typical mid-life crisis, and there is nothing surprising about the plot. But Jean's work as a film producer leads her to examine and question how bonds form between people -- as when a group of strangers comes together on a film set and has to learn to rely utterly upon one another, only to disban ...more
Paula
Jun 13, 2013 Paula added it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through the Goodreads Firstreads giveaway program. Thanks for the opportunity to read and review this book.

Of course I was drawn to the title of the book I enjoy reading love stories. This book is about a married couple Jean and Sam who produce and direct independent movies. There is some technical descriptions about the making of movies. The couple has two children and they live in Brooklyn.

Jean is no longer physically or emotionally happy in her marriage. The book is desc
Jessica
Blurgh. Seemed like a screenplay, not a novel. And the main character is so annoying - I wanted to smack her. Not worth it.
Linnet
Jean is married, with a couple of men on the side. She's discovering that (maybe) one man is enough.
Beth
This is what I get for only reading the first sentence (and not the back cover) of a book when deciding whether or not I will read it. The first few chapter were hilarious but the story lost its momentum and had a main character that I just did not understand or give a damn about. You have to make the reader care for the character.
-r-
I often love books about unlikeable characters. But not this one.
Emma
This book really stuck with me. The writing is funny and verbose. Jean is a complex, thoroughly modern heroine for our times. The literary equivalent of Liz Lemon. At times the choices Jean makes are ridiculous but the writer has such a deep understanding for her and the men, women and children in her orbit that you totally believe every bit of it. This book moves briskly from chapter to chapter and is very entertaining but has a surprising emotional depth to it. I was shocked by how moved I was ...more
Allison Sweeney
Let me say this...I like Jean. I think she is such an interesting character. But now that I have said that... I didn't enjoy this book. I felt like it just ended for me at an awkward place. I've read other reviews and I don't know, perhaps I wasn't reaching deep into this story for hidden meanings but to me it was slightly convoluted and in the end not that satisfying.
Lindsay
There, not there, not there, there...that's how Niederhoffer explains love and happiness. Saddest of her books so it was only okay. Not as many moments where the lives she portrays make you laugh to yourself. But still good. I hate the name Jean. So that also didn't help. Sad about the railings in Brooklyn. It would be nice to redo them with someone.
Heather
Having read and seen the movie of the book "The Romantics" I could also picture this as a movie as well. I found it a little hard to follow - some things just happened and it was a confusing jump from it not having happened to "Happened". I enjoyed it - it was realistic - you could understand the confusion, the unhappiness. It was very real.
Wendy Jensen
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I had a very hard time with this novel. I kept dozing off reading it on the beach. I didn't like the main character, Jean, who to me was a me, me, everything me person. Her loving husband who she cheats on is portrayed as a blubbering sap. The children like non entities.
Elizabeth
I did not finish this book. I simply felt nothing for any of the characters and the story did not hold my interest. I made it through about 50% of the book before deciding it wasn't for me.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing this book to me.
Brittany Tedder-Bixlar
Really good, and very emotional. The reader was able to see inside Jean's conflicting emotions and through the love quadrangle. I would recommend it.
Shannon Lynne
This bok was a bit of a struggle at first but i did finish it and feel the story line was relatively clear.
Sandi Burch
A five star review for "Love and Happiness" by Galt Niederhoffer! ~ Readers, you will love it!
Rebecca
Two and a half stars. Very slight, almost underdeveloped plot and characters.
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Megha
Megha marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
  • Making Friends Among the Taliban: A Peacemaker's Journey in Afghanistan
  • In and Out of Step
  • The Ghosting of Gods
  • Fit Quickies: 5-Minute, Targeted Body-Shaping Workouts
  • Blood Rose (Realm of Nine, #1)
  • Southern Charm