Start by marking “Beautiful, Dirty, Rich: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Beautiful, Dirty, Rich: A Novel

Beautiful, Dirty, Rich: A Novel

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  55 reviews
A gripping new novel from bestselling author J.D. Mason about a wealthy Texas family and the one woman who holds-- and will reveal--all their dirty secrets Desdimona Green has been the name on everyone's lips in Blink, Texas. Twenty-five years ago, at the age of eighteen, she shot and killed one of the wealthiest men and pillars of the community, oil baron Julian Gatewood. ...more
Published February 19th 2013 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Beautiful, Dirty, Rich, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beautiful, Dirty, Rich

Author Lesley Hal
Beautiful, Dirty, Rich by J.D. Mason held a lot of promise. A powerful and rich black family with secrets, betrayal, heartache, intrigue and all the trappings that draws me to this type of story. I liked the premise of the book well enough, but had problems with the execution.

Desi Green was convicted of murdering the wealthy Julian Gatewood. There was never a question about why she killed him, nor were there ever really any real justice delivered that fateful day nor thereafter. People get railr
Karen Ashmore
While I was reading this book, my husband noticed the sultry cover and commented, “That’s not the typical book you read.”

"Yes, it's outside my normal reading realm but it's intriguing - a murder mystery romance," I replied. “Anyway the author is a friend of mine and I figured I need to catch up on her writing because she is coming out with a new one soon.”

This is a fascinating story (how does she think up all these twists?) and it takes place in Dallas, where I lived for 15 years. The first crim
MZURAQT
For twenty five years Desdimona Green has lived her life behind bars for the murder of Julian Gatewood.The Gatewood family feels untouchable until their well hidden secerts have been revealed.Now with Desi being free and 20 million dollars richer heads are starting to turn as the city of Texas wonder what really happen the night of Julian death. Determind to get her side of the story out once and for all Desi decides to write a book and the secrets inside might just shock us all!!

This was a diff
OOSA
What’s Done In the Dark

Some people have a skeleton in their closet. And then you have those that have a cemetery in theirs like the Gatewoods.

Over twenty years ago the small town of Blink, Texas, was rocked by the murder of Julian Gatewood, a powerful and wealthy businessman. After serving over two decades for the murder, Desi Green has returned to Blink and she’s ready to let some of those skeletons loose.

The mystery, the intrigue, the unknown immediately engulfs readers. “Beautiful, Dirty, Ri
India Jones-tanner
If I didn't know that there was a sequel to this book, I would've rated it much lower, because there are too many loose ends. But here it goes.....

Desi Green was accused of murdering Julian Gatewood at the tender age of 18. Fast forward 25 years and now Desi Green is a free woman, who is 20 million dollars richer, thanks to the money she inherited from the man she killed.

Hating the press, Desi vows to never talk to any of them, but Sue Parker, a journalist feels that Desi's true story of that f
Carla Harris
This book had me from the first chapter! So many crazy twists and turns and highs and lows. I felt like I really knew the characters. Don't we all know some Gatewoods? Ugh!!! I'm so glad that I can start the sequel right away.
Sabrina
Not really sure how to feel about this one. It definitely left the door open for a sequel. Lots of unanswered questions.
Tina
After much convincing I finally gave it a shot. Loved it. I felt like I knew every character. Very good story.
Linda
This book was very similar to Patterson's style I thought.

Great story line, great characters.
Hattie
When she is 18 years old, Desi Green is arrested and placed in prison. She is there for the murder of her mother's boyfriend, Julian Gatewood. It happens in her mother's house. Ida Green, Desi's mother, falls apart.
She screams her daughter's innocence. The sheriff and the lawmen don't listen to her. After a dirty trial, Desi is locked up for twenty-five years. The majority of the story takes place after Desi has served her time. She is free. She is rich because her mother leaves her twenty milli
Monique
Well after finishing my Goodreads challenge I decided to read something light and fun and easy and this book fit the bill..It was a quick read chock full of "secrets" and the promise of big reveals but I just felt that the promise of a big payoff was kinda weak and the "powerful" secrets were lukewarm at best..So this book follows a recently released forty something year old convict Desi Green as she rejoins society after serving a 25 year sentence for murdering her father-one of the richest and ...more
Tazzyt2bossye
18 year old Desdimona Green was sentenced to 25 years in prison for the murder of her mother's married lover. Time served, she's a grown woman and lo and behold she's inherited millions of dollars that Julian Gatewood left to her mother. The arrogant Jordan Gatewood is hell bent on hating her because she has brought so much pain to his family.

Desi's best friend Yolanda, 'Lonnie' motivates as well as instigates Desi to tell the truth and shame the devil. But when all the sordid truths are uncover
Tiffany❤️Loves❤️a❤️good❤️Book❤️Boyfriend!!!
I Beautiful Dirty Rich via audio book. And I have to say it was different from my normal books but over all i enjoyed the book. More mystery than anything else. I fell like I am missing somethings though. I hated the ending. I wanted to know more about Jordan and his wife.. him mother. I guse i will have to pick up the next book....to find out what happens to Lonnie. anyways it was a good read.
Natasha
I couldn't help but fall in love with Desi and Lonnie and their friendship. I felt for Desi and how more than half her life was taken from her. She took a lot quietly for years and I was proud when she decided to tell her side of things finally. If I had a friend like Lonnie, I'd be happy that I was on her good side. That woman went hard for Desi and the way they became friends was odd that it developed into such a strong friendship seemingly from nothing. Lonnie definitely played with fire, she ...more
Andrea Ingram
Great writing and characters but way too short which is why I don't like series. How many questions can one book leave unanswered and keep the reader satisfied. I know this is the new series formula but I still don't like it. This is also why I'm giving it only 4 stars instead of 5.
Trinity  Love
Desi goes back to the town she grew up in after being jailed for 25years... She receives millions after her mother's death courtesy the family of the man she's accused of killing..... No one in the town is happy DESI is back especially Jordan the son of the man she killed, who happens to be from the most powerful family in BLINK,TEXAS! Secrets will be unleashed and the truth will set DESI'S soul free:)

I'm glad I listened to the audiobook because the reader was great.. If, I would've read the boo
Mary
Desi was imprisoned for 25 years for the murder of one of the wealthiest men in the town. The family finds out that he is the father of Desi and many other secrets are revealed about residents of their town. When a true crime writer comes to to get the true story on what happend, Desi is ready to let it all go. Will the family allow the story to be told?

Like all the other books I have read by Mason, this book kept my attention from begnning to end. The one thing I did not like was how weak Desi
Debbie J
Not sure who the intended audience for this book is: female prison inmates? Whatever, I've trudged through many a bad book but couldn't get far into this one before I had to give up the effort.
La Dale Johnson
This is a classic book of karma and the big pay back. While I really enjoyed this book, I often times got confused on the characters as I felt like we were introduced to each one so fast! Also, this book is full of cliches that made me roll my eyes often. However, outside of that, it was a great read! Well, up until the ending. It's as if the author realized she had a deadline and needed to hurry and wrap things up. Unfortunately, she left us with a lot of unanswered questions and I didn't like ...more
Tracy
J.D. Mason is a wonderful writer. This story was a real page turner, and the plot was so unique. Desi is a layered character, and the story of the Gatewoods family drama is so juicy. Lonnie, though, is the character I was most intrigued by. She is part bad b*tch and part superhero; part single black female, part exotic vixen. She's a trip, and I loved reading about her. I was thrilled that when I got to the end of the story, I already had my copy of the sequel so that I could dive right in. J.D. ...more
Tamika Jones
Too many loose ends. I feel like something is missing.
Lavi
Holy Crap!!!!!! I dont even know how long this book has sat on my shelf or why it took me so long to read it. This was awesome!!!! Desi came out on top in the end. Jordan not so much. I loved how [Spoiler Alert] he was 'out of the country' when her book came out. No one could have stopped her. I felt bad that Lonnie couldnt have been there but she kind of had it coming. Yeah what she did was in good faith but still that bitch was a little tapped - I think she might have had some kind of psudo cr ...more
Shelia
Very weak ending.
Kelly Gracie
I loved all of the suspense that was built up and the characters were engaging. The story just fell flat for me though. Its 3:30am and I'm disappointed that I've been up all night reading a book where the ending felt incomplete. There were many areas where I felt the Author could have expanded more and just didn't. Overall, the book was okay, however I don't see myself recommending this to anyone to read.
Alfred Thompson
this book started out slow but it turned out to be a good read
Penny
This book is the kind of book that you almost miss getting off at your train stop type of book. It's one of those 'what else is gonna happen' type of books. I can't tell you what it's about. It will ruin it for you. You'll just have to trust me. Don't judge it by it's cover. It's way deeper than it looks and (hopefully) there's a sequel. You're going to need it.
Tracee
Desi Green is out of prison and becomes beautiful, dirty, and rich. With the help of her friend, she exposes those who wronged her and put her in jail for the murder of Julian Gatewood.

I enjoyed this book. It was a refreshing break from the books I had been reading lately. I am now looking forward to reading the follow-up!
Lisa Lewis
This book was very well written. I love how it flowed. It was sort of like a tv series and now I can't wait for next season, the sequel. I want to know what happened to Lonnie and how Desi & Jordan's relationship plays out. I hope to get to know more about Jordan's sister & "father". I'm excited about book 2.
Karma Jones

Great storyline and enough twists and turns to keep the pages turning.

Disappointed with the ending but satisfied since there is a release date for part 2. I am still not clear as to what the motivation was for Lonnie to befriend and help Desi in the first place? Seems strange to me....

Literary Drama!: Discussion topic #3 1 5 Aug 18, 2012 11:29AM
  • The Secret She Kept
  • Deceit and Devotion
  • If I Can't Have You
  • Deception
  • A Wish and a Prayer (Blessings)
  • The Man in 3B
  • Lady Elect
  • Scandals
  • Blackberry Days of Summer: A Novel
  • What's His Is Mine
I started with a goal in mind, and I prayed. “Lord, just let me be able to write books for 10 years. If I can write for 10 years, I can finish 10 books. And then I’ll retire.” I feel like I’m just getting warmed up, so I definitely think I need another 10 years.

J.D. Mason has been writing professionally for more than a decade, beginning with her first novel “And On The Eighth Day She Rested” which
More about J.D. Mason...
One Day I Saw a Black King And on the Eighth Day She Rested Don't Want No Sugar You Gotta Sin to Get Saved This Fire Down in My Soul