Start by marking “The Dead Caller from Chicago (Dek Elstrom #4)” as Want to Read:
The Dead Caller from Chicago (Dek Elstrom #4)

The Dead Caller from Chicago (Dek Elstrom #4)

"Everything I want in a mystery." —Nancy Pearl, National Public Radio on A Safe Place for Dying, A Pearl Pick

"Jack Fredrickson is one hell of a writer. He has an ear for dead-on dialogue, and an unerring eye for compelling pace. In Dek Elstrom, he's created an investigator with a seductive one-two punch—a delectably smart mouth and a delightfully nimble brain. Believe me,
Published April 23rd 2013 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Dead Caller from Chicago, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dead Caller from Chicago

Paul Pessolano
Feb 06, 2013 Paul Pessolano rated it liked it
“The Dead Caller from Chicago” by Jack Fredrickson, published by Minotaur Books.

Category – Mystery/Thriller

Dek Elstrom is an investigator living in Rivertown, a small and depressed city just outside of Chicago. Dek is fascinated by a construction site in town that is tearing down several tenants and looks as if a mansion may be built in their place. This is quite unusual for a place that is below the economic turndown and has little hope of recovery.

Dek lives in a castle turret, no castle just t
Jeanne
Jun 01, 2013 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Another great Dek Elstrom novel by Jack Fredrickson!! Towards the end, there got to be a lot going on with the plot in this story, but this mystery still kept me on the edge of my seat right up to the end of the story!! 8 out of 10 on this one for me.
LJ
First Sentence: It was March, well past midnight, and it was cold.

Free-lance investigator Dek Elstrom is still trying to fight his local city hall to regain zoning rights to the tower—no castle, just a tower—in which he lives, but strange things start occurring. A large hole is dug for a new McMansion in a block of bungalows, a phone call from someone thought to be dead, and Dek’s best friend and loved ones suddenly disappearing. Dek is on the trail of answers and trying to stay alive.
I have tw
JT (Jasmine Tailfeather) Murray
Mar 14, 2013 JT (Jasmine Tailfeather) Murray rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-read, mystery
Thank you Goodreads and Jack Fredrickson. I enjoyed "THE DEAD CALLER FROM CHICAGO." The story rambles on in a lighthearted fashion, with somewhat of an odd gait at times, but gives an overall zany feel to the story. I noticed some errors:
PG 19, LINE 13 "....wasn't Leo (that?) I (was?) anxious to see."
PG 55, LINE 17 perhaps restructure the sentence "...the compound had a sort of perverted (?): Christmas air." ((doesn't make sense.))
PG 182, LINE 1 insert space between I and had.
PG 205, LINE 1 c
Val
Mar 30, 2015 Val rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
A complicated confluence of creative crimes causes our Chicago crime-stopper, Dek, cognitive difficulties.

Ok. Enough of that. Confluence was the word of the book so I felt inspired there. This is a fine continuation (oops, did it again) for the Dek Elstrom mystery series. His best friend, Leo Brumsky, receives a call from a man he thought died long ago. This leads not only to his disappearance, but also to his mom, his girlfriend and her mother leaving town for "vacation". There is also the unex
Corinne
Jul 05, 2013 Corinne rated it it was amazing
As a librarian, I'm ashamed to admit I didn't keep up on Jack Fredrickson's new release...I didn't even know he had a forthcoming book. I was excited to get my hands on it, and I totally devoured it! This title seemed a little bit darker than his previous Dek Elstrom novels, which is fine with me. The writing is witty, the characters are smart and the relationships genuine. I learned a little more about Dek's childhood and his relationship with Leo, and came out the other side appreciating his ...more
Dave Moyer
Dec 27, 2013 Dave Moyer rated it liked it
This is a solid crime novel with minor flaws. It mostly holds the reader's interest, and for those who are big fans of the genre, you get multiple murders, a kidnapping, ex-wives, ex-lovers, an art heist, a possible not-dead dead person, and Russian gangsters. Hey, what else could you want? Not much by way of Chicago backdrop if that matters.
Jayw
Aug 03, 2013 Jayw added it
Life is looking up for down at his heels Chicago detective Dek Elstrom when his best friend gets a call from a thief who has been dead for years. The friend disappears, the mafia are sniffing around and damsels need rescue.
Laura M
Aug 06, 2016 Laura M rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed it. I picked it up off the "new reads" shelf at PPLD and couldn't put it down once I started. I was about to read it again, but decided I need to read the previous books in the series first. I'll add my favorite quotes then.
Betty Dickie
May 15, 2013 Betty Dickie rated it it was amazing
I don't know why this author is not on the top list somewhere. His books are so good, his characters are so rich. There is just the right mix of humor, suspense and drama. And the mystery's are good too.
Harry Lane
Feb 03, 2013 Harry Lane rated it liked it
Whodunit fans should enjoy this book I received as a goodreads giveaway. With offbeat characters, wry humor and a plot as tangled as a plate of spaghetti Fredrickson had put together an appetizing stew of a story.
Elaine
Jun 12, 2013 Elaine rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-read
I won this book in a giveaway. There were several typos but I don't know if that was because it was an advanced readers edition or not. The story was ok but not much of a mystery. More of a everyone is trying to figure out what is going on.
Beth
May 21, 2015 Beth rated it it was amazing
I loved this book - number 4 in the Dek Elstrom Series. Jack Fredrickson does keep you guessing an smiling. Dek's snarky way of looking at the world helps weave a good tale. Way to go Jack. Keep them coming.
Al Stoess
Jun 01, 2013 Al Stoess rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fredrickson fans.
I've read other Fredrickson books. This one was interesting but confusing. A good chase scene was included. Book could have been shortened.
Catherine Woodman
Aug 26, 2013 Catherine Woodman rated it it was ok
The motivation for this murder mystery (what gets the ball rolling) is either too far fetched, or I did not get it.
Deede
Deede rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2014
Peggy
Peggy rated it it was ok
Jul 19, 2016
Owen Beers
Owen Beers rated it really liked it
May 09, 2013
Ellen
Ellen rated it liked it
May 06, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2015
Richard White
Richard White rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2014
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2013
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2013
Nana
Nana rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2014
Helen
Mar 01, 2015 Helen rated it really liked it
Different and stimulating. Great read with plenty of twists and turns
Ruth
Ruth rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2013
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2013
Greg
Greg rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2013
Linda Dodero
Linda Dodero rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2013
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
  • A Dangerous Road (Smokey Dalton, #1)
  • The Cavalier of the Apocalypse (Aristide Ravel, #1)
  • Camouflage (Nameless Detective, #35)
  • Without a Word (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #8)
  • The Eye of Horus
  • Stone Quarry (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #6)
  • Calibre (Inspector Brant, #6)
  • Cowboy Tough
  • Storm
  • North of Montana (Ana Grey, #1)
  • Once Again a Bride
  • A Gladiator Dies Only Once (Roma Sub Rosa, #11)
  • The Queen of Broken Hearts
  • Blessed by a Demon’s Mark (Kat Redding, #3)
  • The Lineup: The World's Greatest Crime Writers Tell the Inside Story of Their Greatest Detectives
  • Ghosts (87th Precinct #34)
  • Henry! You're Hungry Again?
  • Wildcat (Cat Star Chronicles, #9)
Jack Fredrickson’s first Dek Elstrom mystery, A Safe Place for Dying, was nominated for the Shamus Award for Best First Novel. His short fiction has appeared in the acclaimed Chicago Blues and in Michael Connelly’s Burden of the Badge anthologies. He lives with his wife, Susan, west of Chicago, where he is crafting the next Dek Elstrom novel.

Series:
* Dek Ekstrom Mystery
More about Jack Fredrickson...

Dek Elstrom (5 books)
  • A Safe Place for Dying (Dek Elstrom #1)
  • Honestly Dearest, You're Dead (Dek Elstrom #2)
  • Hunting Sweetie Rose (Dek Elstrom #3)
  • The Confessors' Club (Dek Elstrom #5)