Start by marking “Pepper: A History of the World's Most Influential Spice” as Want to Read:
Pepper: A History of the World's Most Influential Spice

Pepper: A History of the World's Most Influential Spice

3.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  78 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Filled with anecdotes and fascinating information, "a spicy read indeed." (Mark Pendergrast, author of Uncommon Grounds: The History of Coffee and How it Transformed the World)

The perfect companion to Mark Kurlansky's Salt: A World History, Pepper illuminates the rich history of pepper for a popular audience. Vivid and entertaining, it describes the part pepper played in b
Published April 2nd 2013 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Pepper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pepper

Ginger
Mar 20, 2016 Ginger rated it liked it
One of the many food related books my uncle gave me....
War is bad.
History books glamorize colonization - there is nothing glamorous about it.
I learned more about the history of pepper than I ever expected. And I enjoyed learning it.
Donald
Dec 28, 2013 Donald rated it really liked it
Among my Christmas gifts, were a couple of books I received from my brother and sister-in-law here in Winnipeg. Both of these were books of food history. I’ve just finished the first of these, called Pepper: A History of the World’s Most Influential Spice. In it, author Marjorie Schaffer details the history of pepper and in particular it’s influence in the development of European colonial history, and modern global trade, The book also opens and closes by looking at pepper’s medicinal qualities. ...more
Michael Blackmore
Aug 27, 2013 Michael Blackmore rated it liked it
Shelves: herbalism, history
I was torn between 2 and 3 stars personally. Not a bad book, in fact in some ways a fairly interesting book if you weren't familiar with the subject already.

Despite the title most of the book is not so much about the history of Pepper but more about Europe colonialism and the spice trade. All interesting stuff but material I was pretty familiar with having done a lot of undergraduate/graduate work in East Asian and Latin American history.

Most of the sections weren't so much specific to pepper
Phil
Oct 29, 2015 Phil rated it liked it
Whew. Learned a lot. This was very heavy on the history of the trade of pepper. Not so much the pepper plant itself. And I could have done without the bits of torture. Gah! A bit dry at times but worthy of the time spent reading it.
Mitchell
An okay book. But it dragged in parts and it could have been a lot better. It was quite detailed around the trade of pepper. And it did have one interesting chapter on current medicinal exploration. But I would have liked to have seen a more detailed analysis of the plant itself. And a discussion of the varieties of pepper sold today and the differences. And more pictures of pepper. And more discussion of the manufacturing process.
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
Jun 11, 2013 Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Pepper: A History of the World’s Most Influential Spice by Marjorie Shaffer is a non-fiction book tracing history through the trade of black pepper. Ms. Shaffer is a business reporter and science writer.

This is an interesting book about this culinary delight. The book journeys through the ages and the competition between the Dutch, English and Portuguese merchants. A nod towards the end of the book to 19th Century American pepper traders ties up the history nicely.

The most interesting part of th
Jan
Jun 26, 2016 Jan rated it liked it
Very informative. I gave this book a bit lower rating than Salt by Mark Kurlansky, because I felt the author didn't stay as focused on the topic as I might have liked. There was an awful lot of military history in there, and while that was certainly a huge part of the history of pepper, I didn't want to read about quite this many battles. On the other hand, I might have a more negative view of the book simply because pepper's history of colonialism is simply horrifying.
Converse

I got through page 185. The most common types of pepper come from the species Piper nigrum, a vine which is native to southern India and was spread to southeast Asia by Moslem merchants by about 1400. Sumatra was an important source during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. The Romans were partial to Indian long pepper, Piper longrum and betel nut, whose leaves are chewed, is also a member of the pepper genus (Piper betle.)

Obtaining pepper was one of the most important reasons for Europ

Conchetta
May 04, 2015 Conchetta rated it liked it
The narrative of the pepper trade seemed to drag without making the connections to modern day that I was looking for. The last third of the book was mare interesting to me. The description of the possible medicinal properties of pepper at the end of the book was interesting but seemed to bed added on as an after thought.
Clio
Mar 03, 2014 Clio added it
Shelves: 2014
Packed with info on black pepper, mostly a historical perspective about the pepper trade and the Dutch and English East India trading companies. Interesting enough if you're after a history of trade in the Spice Islands with a focus on pepper.
Tommy Buttaccio
Jun 26, 2015 Tommy Buttaccio rated it liked it
Currently reading this... The author can make some broad over generalizations on some of the info in this book and kind of insists upon itself. But, it has some interesting facts on spices. on page 70/250
Teri Beckelheimer
This book is really more about the history of the early pepper trade/trading route around Sumatra, as well as the Spice Islands, involving the East India Trading Company and the Dutch India Trading Company. I was hoping there would be more history on pepper, its usage throughout time, and uses today, but it really was more on how the trading of pepper influenced history. There was one great chapter on the current medicinal uses of pepper.

It was very interesting but not what I expected.
David Szatkowski
Apr 18, 2015 David Szatkowski rated it really liked it
This is a fascinating book about the the spice pepper. The way this single spice influenced geo-political history is incredible.
Rose
May 24, 2014 Rose rated it really liked it
Surprising story of our now common spice. Who knew its history was so filled with adventure? Nice illustrations.
Alexandra Sundarsingh
Jul 18, 2016 Alexandra Sundarsingh rated it really liked it
Highly readable, this history of pepper explores the perverse effects of its popularity as curative and commodity from early modern history to the present day. Shaffer is blunt about the ways that European mercantilism meant the death of cultures and societies that grew pepper, and about the translation of the violence over pepper into the modern day relations between nations that grow and nations that buy (albeit analysis on this modern set-up is less plentiful than the history of those places) ...more
Celia
Apr 07, 2016 Celia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting subject, but pretty repetitious.
Rosemary
Jan 13, 2014 Rosemary rated it liked it
Three and a half stars. Really interesting premise and as the author notes, the academic research on pepper has not previously been popularised (at least I haven't seen any other easily accessible book about it). I was very interested in all the colour plates in the middle describing the different relatives of pepper.

However, I have returned it to the library without finishing it as I felt it was getting repetitive.
Rod Meyer
Mar 03, 2014 Rod Meyer rated it liked it
I was actually reading this book to help my son with a book report. The book starts strong and is very interesting but then begins to read too much like a history book and gets a little dry and boring. It finishes up strong with some of the current and future possible uses of pepper.
Jenny
Apr 17, 2013 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Pepper is probably my favorite spice, but I knew little of the history and the violence behind it. This was a fascinating book with larger-than-life characters and an exciting story. Marjorie Shaffer's history reads much like a sprawling novel. Try it; you'll like it
Alyce
Apr 20, 2015 Alyce rated it it was ok
The facts are there, they're just not organized very well. It's as if it were written by a teenager with undiagnosed ADHD.
Cheryl Williams
Jun 04, 2014 Cheryl Williams rated it it was amazing
I have newfound respect for pepper and what a crazy history it endured to make it onto my plate!
Daniel
Apr 14, 2016 Daniel rated it liked it
Shelves: history
Unfortunately this history begins only when the europeans are part of it.
Bob
Mar 10, 2014 Bob rated it liked it
Everything you always wanted to know about pepper and then some.
Chris
Dec 09, 2013 Chris rated it did not like it
Heavy on information (much of it repetitive), light on story
Susan Kennedy
Jun 12, 2013 Susan Kennedy rated it really liked it
Excellent book. I learned a lot history.
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Emil
Emil rated it it was ok
Jul 25, 2016
Marie Flanigan
Marie Flanigan is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2016
Shuyin
Shuyin marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
  • The Khyber Pass: A History of Empire and Invasion
  • The Great Mutiny: India 1857
  • Plain Tales from the Raj
  • Mumbai Fables
  • Garlic, an Edible Biography: How the World's Most Pungent Food Changed the Course of History, Medicine, and Cuisine--with 75 Recipes
  • The Year of Eating Dangerously: A Global Adventure in Search of Culinary Extremes
  • Creamy and Crunchy: An Informal History of Peanut Butter, the All-American Food
  • Tea: A History of the Drink That Changed the World