Start by marking “Hellhole Awakening (Hellhole, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hellhole Awakening (Hellhole, #2)

Hellhole Awakening (Hellhole Trilogy #2)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  558 ratings  ·  74 reviews
In this exhiliarting sequel to Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson's Hellhole, the stakes on planet Hallholme have been raised to new heights.

After declaring his independence from the corrupt Constellation, rebel General Adolphus knows the crackdown is coming. Now he needs to pull together the struggling Hellhole colony, the ever-expanding shadow-Xayan settlement, and his
Published March 26th 2013 by Tor Books (first published February 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Hellhole Awakening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellhole Awakening

Ms. Nikki
Don't you just hate it when a book has an out-of-this world premise, but fails miserably when it comes to explaining and using the world and futuristic abilities that they have to the fullest extent?

I am really astounded that the authors did not try (if they did, they, again, failed miserably) to expound on their previous book, pulling the reader in and giving them their well-deserved reward of having some story-lines wrapped up and handing out some conclusions to some cliffhangers.

The dialogue
Pat Pierce
All the five and four star reviews for this book sound like publisher's blurbs. I think the publisher or authors must be seeding the reviews.

I read the first one because I liked the Dune books by these two, but I was very disappointed by Hellhole and Hellhole: Awakening. The characters are one dimensional, with cheesy dialogue and no real sense to their actions. The authors tell us what everyone is thinking (over and over and over again) so there are not many surprises in the book. All the chara
Cathy
3.5 stars. This book was better than the first one, it flowed better and the characters felt more interesting. I probably would have given it four stars if it was more in my area of interest, it was just a bit too political and military for me, but that's just a matter of taste.

There were a few issues though. Some of the sections got very repetitive; Ishop repeated his issues over and over again, and we saw Bolton's history with and concern for Keana too many times, as a couple of examples. And
Chad
Pretty good story overall. Slower beginning, much more interesting in the second half. Some characters have great importance in the first book, and parts of this book, and then are fairly abandoned as their relevance to the plot wanes.

Lots of repetitive moments and reflections. If you haven't read the first book, you aren't missing anything because just about every plot point from the initial story is covered again...and again...and again in this book. I hope the third book doesn't do that.

M.A. Kropp
I did not read the first book in the series. I got this one in a contest, and decided to give it a try and if I needed to read the first, I could always shelve this until I did. As it turned out, I don't think it is necessary to read the first before this one. Sure, some of the nuance may have been lost, but most of what I needed to know was recapped as the story went along.

As this second book opens, Tiber Adolphus is gathering his Deep Zone allies and preparing for the coming assault from the C
Josh
HELLHOLE ended with a declaration of war with AWAKENING set up for a large scale confrontation between the Crown Jewel planets and the deep zone planets. Diadem Michella, Escobar Hallholme, and Ishop amongst others against General Adolphus and his alien Xayan race is epic within itself yet the added mystery of an anonymous space craft scanning Hellhole and the planets’ slow awakening added even more drama and chaos. There’s a lot to take in, and to the authors credit, they make it easily readabl ...more
Tim Eastman
This book was complete trash. I have never seen so many flaws in logic in a science fiction novel before, and I read a lot of science fiction.

The rebels blew out hubs 3 and 4 on the Hallholme line and after the troops from Sonjeera make it back to where hub 4 was they search in vain for a iperion string from hub 4 to hub 5, but are magically able to send a message packet from the now extinct hub 4, back to the extinct hub 3. The second in command on the sonjeera fleet just happens to have a ship
Lorrie
I know that Ray Bradbury was right when he said that we should always read books even the bad ones, because it's important to read, but this book killed me. The first one was alright. It wasn't great, but it was okay. So I saw this book at the library and thought I'd try reading it since I had read the first one and see if it was better. It was not. Hellhole Awakening has to be one of the worst books I have ever read and I read an incredibly dry and droning book on String Theory that nearly put ...more
Barbara Ghylin
I will pick this one up on March 26. I am currently reading the first one in order to catch up with what is going on Hellhole.
I finished this one last night. I was not ready for it to be over. The writers differently need to RIGHT FASTER!!
Timmy Valionis
Let me start with the bad.

The plot holes in this book kill it for me. Let me give you an example, (Very mild spoiler) there is an asteroid heading to a planet, this planet has multiple battleships capable of faster than light travel around it yet the idea of deflecting them is never mentioned, surely they could have at least tried to move it, I assume it'd be a pretty normal and easy task, but they never do try it.
Then there's the resources, each faction seems to have very convenient numbers th
Gary
I enjoyed the first book in this series, so I was looking forward to reading this, the second installment. It starts off slow. In fact it took to almost page 200 before things get really interesting, but that's because there are so many different layers and characters driving the plot. It took that long to get all the pieces in play, kind of like a chess game. From that point on, it was an edge of your seat thrill ride. To anyone familiar with sci-fi, think 2 parts Dune, 1 part Foundation and 1 ...more
James Caldwell
I think it's important that you come to the Hellhole trilogy with certain expectations. I'm not used to the style of writing Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert did on this trilogy, so I ended up feeling the first novel was kind of slow, with promise of a lot more to come in the sequels. And even though that is true for Hellhole: Awakening, I finally came to the understanding that this series is not an "action packed" story.

The Hellhole trilogy, in my opinion, can be best described as a politica
Stephen
With more action, more drama, more compelling schemes and juicy drama, Hellhole Awakening cranks things up a notch for an explosive journey. As the second book in the trilogy, I was prepared to expect another fun adventure, but I was pleasantly surprised with how the plot moved forward with grander schemes and richer characters. There were some moments in this book where I laughed out loud, raised my first in triumph, or stared at the page in disbelief. Hellhole Awakening proves that this series ...more
Nick Cato
Exiled General Tiber Adolphus is now unofficially in charge of protecting the 54 planets of the Deep Zone, a stretch of universe where rebels and undesirables are sent by the corrupt government of the 20 Crown Jewel worlds. Sent away by the brutal Diadem Michella in the first book, Adolphus has allied with a strange alien race who are currently coming "back to life" through volunteer human hosts on the planet Hallholme (a.k.a. Hellhole).

Michella's spies have caught wind of Adolphus' growing powe
Alex
"Hellhole Awakening" is the second in the Hellhole Trilogy and it furthers the story along. I would have rated this series higher if I had not read "The Saga of Seven Suns" first. The plot is so similar I suspect some reuse of ideas by Anderson.

The story: a large part of the Constellation Fleet is sent against General Adolphus but he has a plan. I can't tell you what happens because a large part of the book revolves around what happened. Suffice it to say that it was gross... and reasonable for
Mark
I always enjoy the collaborations of Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson and Hellhole Awakening is no exception. Really, I'm not entirely sure what to review here since this is #2 in a series and, by this point, you've made up your mind one way or another about the series.

Generally, these tend to be great stories that span star systems. The characters are mostly credible, but tend not to change over the course of the narrative -- the good guys are clearly good, the bad guys relish their evil (t
William Crosby
In general, the rebels are more complex characters whereas the Constellation nobels are one-dimensional ("hit hard hit fast" is their military model and reflects their basic approach to life). No character has the complexity of George Martin's Fire and Ice series.

Also, the plot developments can almost always be predicted: any time a character on either side is confident then that character's plans are disrupted. It got annoying fast.

In addition, a suggestion regarding irony: it needs to be dishe
A. King
"Hellhole Awakening" is the second book in Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert's "Hellhole" series, a space opera about a rebel general and his attempt to form a breakaway confederation of planets in opposition to an evil empire.

This novel shows Anderson's great plotting ability. He skillfully weaves a number of subplots, layers of narrative, plot twists, and reverses, to create an engaging story.

I would have to give this book a cleanness rating of only three stars out of five. There's some prof
Rodrigo
I'm ok with cliffhangers, but not finishing any major storylines (and there were several), only bringing minor episodes to a close, is just annoying.

Hellhole: Awakening borrows from the creativity of the first book Hellhole, and brings us a repetitive tale that, basically, takes us nowhere. Most of the "big" revelations were pretty obvious and any attentive reader would have figured them out a few chapters before.

If you are dying to know what happened next after the previous book, AND you can fi
M
Enganginly written, however suffering from the same problems as the first book. The more complicated political subplots are hampered by one sided characters and the "alien magic", that provided some deus ex moment in the first book still does not really integrate that well into the rest of the story. In essence the whole buildup of the constellation as a main enemy just goes to nowhere, since they just prove disorganised and way to easily beaten.
Chester
Having read the book 1 two years earlier, I found it hard to keep track of the many characters and plots and subplots because of my poor memory. Herbert doesn't do a lot of retelling to catch the reader up to past events. The writing style is similar to any of the book in the later Dune universe. Everything is grande. Planets are destroyed. Races and cultures obliterated, people killed by the hundred, thousands, millions. Is a great story, and leaves you waiting and wanting book 3.
Lewis
Jill
Sep 24, 2013 Jill rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I read this without reading Hellhole.

Colonial planets fight for independence.

I had no problem following the plot, even though I didn't read the first book. There are many repetitive passages; each shift to certain characters involves an introduction as if we had never before met the character. There are other minor repetitions and it gets worse as the book grows longer. With these exceptions, all the words have a purpose beyond adding length; there are few extraneous details or sub-plots. The en
Natalia
Enjoyed this book a lot, and had a hard time putting it down. I like being able to continue the story I had started so long ago and see what happened to the characters, and the events surrounding them. It was a great read.
Daniel Callister
Good stuff. I really like their style of writing and this attempt to create their own rich and complex non-dune universe (about which I was skeptical) has been pulled off very well. I am excited for the next installment.
Udi Moshe
I couldn't put it down. Read this book in one run, as it was with the first one, this is a masterpiece. The authors build an intriguing and fascinating world, with captivating characters and a surprising plot line. Highly recommended.
Alice Sabo
I wasn't going to read the 2nd book after disliking the first, but I saw it at the library. It is more of the same - thin characters, predictable plot and some chapters very clumsily written.
Michael Nalbone
The contractor that should have showed up at 7:00 AM arrived at 9:30 AM, and I had nothing else to do until he finished at noon, so ended up reading the whole book. Entertaining.
Amloid Mesa
Excellent book. A great read . Ends on cliff hanger other wise would have received 5 stars. Actually if the last book was available it would have received 5 stars
Kurt Van Deusen
I liked this second book in the set and started the concluding book today. It ended like the 1st one where you have to start the next one right away.
  • March in Country
  • New Earth
  • Eye of the Storm (Hedren War, #1)
  • The Ashes of Worlds (The Saga of Seven Suns, #7)
  • Shipstar
  • No Going Back (Jon & Lobo, #5)
  • Hope Reborn (Raj Whitehall, #1-2)
  • What Once Was Lost (Lady Blue Crew, #7)
  • The Machine Awakes (Spider Wars #2)
  • The Gilded Scarab
  • Conqueror (Raj Whitehall, #3-5)
  • Star Corps (The Legacy Trilogy, #1)
  • Empire of Man
Brian Herbert, the son of famed science fiction author Frank Herbert, is the author of multiple New York Times bestsellers. He has won several literary honors and has been nominated for the highest awards in science fiction. In 2003, he published Dreamer of Dune, a moving biography of his father that was a Hugo Award finalist. His other acclaimed novels include Sidney's Comet, Sudanna Sudanna, The ...more
More about Brian Herbert...

Hellhole Trilogy (3 books)
  • Hellhole (Hellhole, #1)
  • Hellhole Inferno (Hellhole, #3)
House Atreides (Prelude to Dune, #1) The Butlerian Jihad (Legends of Dune, #1) House Harkonnen (Prelude to Dune, #2) House Corrino (Prelude to Dune, #3) The Machine Crusade (Legends of Dune, #2)