Start by marking “The Witch's Grave: A Fever Devilin Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Witch's Grave: A Fever Devilin Mystery

The Witch's Grave: A Fever Devilin Mystery (Fever Devilin #2)

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  294 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Fever Devilin was raised amongst the hill-country people of the deep Georgia Appalachians and their seemingly simple folk ways are in his blood and his soul. His own family, however, was another matter and at sixteen he left home for college, returning only rarely and always under protest. In the years to come, Fever became a noted folklorist of the Appalachian region and ...more
Published February 9th 2004 by Minotaur Books (first published February 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Witch's Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witch's Grave

LJ
First sentence: No one expected violence at church, or the dead bodies that soon followed it.

M Christopher
Jul 26, 2016 M Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another page turner featuring Fever Devilin by Philip DePoy. Among other things, we learn who killed the town mortician (NOT a nice man), the derivation of Fever's family name, and what made the witch think she was dead. But WHEN is Fever going to tell Lucinda how he feels? Great fun.
Marcy Skala
Dec 22, 2012 Marcy Skala rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Bev
The Witch's Grave by Philip DePoy is definitely not my usual fare. I thought it might be...after all it features folklorist and academic Fever Devilin. And we all know that I love me an academic mystery. Problem is Devilin and his friend Andrews neither one really strike me as the academic type. I'm left wondering how either one of them got their job at a university. But that's a side issue. Let's get down to cases and give a brief run-down of the plot.

Devilin, a native of the Georgia Appalachia
Linda  Branham Greenwell
Oct 13, 2013 Linda Branham Greenwell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
The main character is Fever Devlin, a retired folklorist college professor - early retirement, I might add. His college friend, and fellow teacher is visiting him in his Blue Mountain home. Fever's boyhood best friend is Deputy Sheriff, Skidmore Needle, who is running for sheriff
In this novel, Fever again demonstrates ag and his intuitive approach to crime solving, while getting to know his buddy, Dr. Andrews, a British colleague
In this novel, the local mortician Harding Pinhurst is found dead.
Cora Lockhart
What I enjoyed most about The Witch's Grave is the Appalachian folklore woven through the story revolving around the murder of a mortician/funeral director. DePoy teaches at a university near my library. I came across his Fever Devlin series by chance and like to support local authors. This particular story is what I like to refer to as puritanical. In other words, straight forward and probably quite opposite to the magical realism I adore. When I read a story, I like sucking on the words, letti ...more
Karen
Mar 13, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves folk stories and superstitions or a good mystery
Recommended to Karen by: a friend at the hospital
Fever Devilin is on a working 'vacation' in his home town of Blue Mountain in the heart of Georgia's Appalachian Region. This time he has brought along city slicker and Shakespear expert Anderson who is also on vacation, tho' a resting one. Fever brought along his tape recorder, note books and camera to try to gather more of the Appalachian folk lore he grew up with. He is ultimately caught up in a murder, missing man and woman and the belief in witchcraft in the 20th century. Truevine in a very ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Mar 16, 2011 Mike (the Paladin) rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
The single star is a subjective rating. I didn't like the book. Then again I don't care for mysteries and I don't care for romance. This was my wife's book. She passed away almost two years ago and I've been looking over my shelves, forced to thin them out because I've moved to a place with much less room. I don't like to sell, trade or whatever books without reading (or as in this case attempting to read) them.

I don't know where Mr. DePoy was born (he's a New Yorker at this point)but I really d
Patrick
Mar 22, 2013 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I enjoy this series of books, but have a hard time finding any of them for my own collection. Libraries are the best places to find them for me, but I have been able to pick up a couple on Amazon.

Fever Devilin is a "retired" university professor in the folklore department. The retirement was the university's idea, and not Fever's. With the elimination of his department, Fever has had little else to do other than move back to his childhood home in rural Blue Mountains of Georgia. His academic dri
Sharon Michael
Apr 19, 2012 Sharon Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is addicting and I'm not quite sure just why. First book hooked me, this second one pretty much set the hook. A lot of things I like, mystery with a heavy touch of paranormal. A setting I particularly like, rural/backwoods Georgia mountains with characters I'm beginning to recognize after living 12 years in rural KY. Conflicted and highly educated main character returning to the small town where he grew up, someone that seems very authentic in reading.

The language is a smooth juxtapo
Melissa
Jul 14, 2016 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
As with Phillip DePoy's first Fever Devilin book, the story was good, the pacing was good, and the characters were interesting. But, I'm just not a fan of DePoy's writing style. In addition, this book has so many grammatical errors, I find it difficult to believe that it underwent any kind of copy edit prior to publication.
Beth Roberts
Oct 26, 2014 Beth Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-loan, 5-stars
This was one of those rare 5-star books for me. Though it is the second in the series, and the first I've read, it was in some ways near-magical. The writing, while at times stumbling over a turn of phrase, is lyrical enough to draw images of the Georgian Appaliachia in the mind while firmly establishing a strong locale and voice. This book has it all - ghosts, various spooky tales within the story, cemetaries, a haunted house, colorful characters, as well as murder and mayhem.

The characters, wh
Virginia
Apr 26, 2009 Virginia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes mysteries with a paranormal twist.
Recommended to Virginia by: Found it at half price books
Loved this book. It was one that I couldn't put down. Luckily we had a rainy Sunday and I indulged my need to finish it. Fever Devilin is an academic sleuth who records folk tales from his small home town of Blue Mountain. I believe this is his second book and the story evolves around finding the local mortician naked and dead in a ravine close to his house. Two other local character disappear at the same time. One has a reputation of being a witch. It also revolves around his own odd family his ...more
Mary
Dec 31, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always worth reading - read the series...
Kate
Sep 10, 2008 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cozy American mystery readers
Shelves: mystery, southern
This was a "meh" book for me. I was sure I would like it as I love folklore, especially spooky folklore, and I come from a long line fo proud hillbillies, so the Appalacian setting was right up my alley. But I found the amateur sleuth, folklorist Fever Devlin, to be bland and uninteresting. The mystery was OK, the end was not spooky at all but I didn't see it coming, so I guess that's a plus. I might give one of his others in this series a try...but only if I run out of other things to read (lik ...more
Paula
Mar 12, 2013 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a few pages to get into this book and used to the prose but once I did, I very much enjoyed it. It's a mystery with a bit of paranormal in it.

Fever Devilin's friend Dr. Andrews is visiting from Atlanta while on vacation. A naked body is found in a ditch near Devilin's property. Fever and Andrews are following the clues from the hill people to solve the crime.

There are a lot of sub plots throughout the book but it is an interesting story. I'll try and find the first in this series and
Melanti
Fever Devilin is a folklorist who spends his days collecting folk tales and songs for his research. If nothing else, Fever's occupation should make me love this series. But for some reason, I don't.

Maybe it's the slightly condescending attitude towards the folklore, or maybe it's the slightly too old-fashioned to be true people inhabiting the town, or maybe it's the way that everyone Fever talks to seems to know exactly who committed which crimes but no one ever bothers to tell the police.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fever Devilin, a folklorist, has returned to his home deep in Appalachia Georgia. Truevine Deveroe, a local girl considered to be a witch, goes missing; the mortician Harding Pinhurst, one of Fever's least favorite people, turns up murdered and Truvine's fiancé, Able Carter, is the suspect. Fever, his friend, houseguest and Shakespeare scholar, Dr. Winton Andrews, and childhood friend Deputy Sheriff Skidmore Needle, need to find Truevine and Able, and Harding' killer.
Linda
Sep 30, 2007 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I love this series that features Fever Devilin, a folklorist who's left his university position to return to his Appalachian hometown. The characters are lovingly rendered, and the prose is often poetic. Plus, DePoy throws in a reference now and again to the Sacred Harp. The plot kept me reading, though I read for characters and therefore will forgive all but the most egregious inconsistencies. It has to be REALLY bad for me to notice.
Sheila Beaumont
A very enjoyable read, the second Fever Devilin mystery I've read. Fever has returned to his roots in the Georgian Appalachians, having abandoned his academic life as a college professor and folklorist. The characters are vividly portrayed, the sense of place is strong, the mystery is complex, and the old regional supernatural legends are fascinating. The writing is excellent too. I'm looking forward to reading more of this series.
George
Jun 13, 2010 George rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
#2 in the Fever Devillin mystery series set in very rural northern Georgia. Fever and a fellow university professor friend find themselves involved with murder set against the various interrelationships and history of the small town of Blue Mountain where Fever was born and raised. There are numerous subplots involved with contribute to the mystery as well as history of the town and its residents complicating this slow moving story.
Raye
I love DePoy's Fever Develin mystery series, and The Witch's Grave is a great example. It has all the touchstones of the series: the haunting mystery, the inextricable links to the past, the delicious local foods, and the local characters who seem a real part of place and are never forced. As an Atlantan, I have a special joy in the way he realizes north Georgia without ever patronizing the South. Recommended.
lynne naranek
Mar 08, 2008 lynne naranek rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
This second installment of the folklorist who moves back into his small town community in the Appalachian mountains just didn't hook me the way the first book did.

Another dead body, more conspiracies in a town that doesn't say things as much as they actually say things. This time around, the "punchline" was rather far-fetched.

I *was* going to read books 3 & 4, but now, I'm not so sure....
Catherine
Mar 02, 2015 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my second Fever Devilin mystery and I loved it. Fever and hi s friend Andrew know how to get into the cracks and groves of a mystery and keep you reading. I will read the rest of the series.
Mary
May 15, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author
Phillip DePoy writes in a way that draws you in, keeps you turning the pages. I love the style and intellect he brings to the mysteries. This is the second book I've read recently highlighting the folk medicine of the Blue Ridge Mountains. I'm really enjoying these, this one delving deeper into the workings of the mind.
Christina
May 12, 2009 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Fever Devilin Mystery series has really become a dark horse favorite for me; I love the way that the Georgia Appalachians became not just the setting, but a silent character in these books. Our protagonist Fever is fully formed: you get a real sense of him, and through him, for the characters who surround him.
Ann
Jul 09, 2012 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
I love the Blue Mountain GA setting and descriptions of the people and Appalachian ways and history; but I think what I really like best is seeing the world though the eyes of Fever (Andrews and Skidmore) A classic who-dunnit, though not occurring in the parlor, but in the graveyard.
Kit Swindle
Aug 08, 2010 Kit Swindle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really well written book; the author captured my attention shortly into the book, which is impossible sometimes. His use of alliteration and small town cultural quirks made the book intelligent and genuine. I am interested in following the "Fever Devilin" series now!
Susan Lance
Started off strong with a good story line. It was a murder mystery, which I usually enjoy. But the book just didn't hold my interest. It was a short book and took me more than a week to finish. Lots of characters and extraneous info that wasn't necessary to the story.
Michelle
Mar 23, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A new book series for me to get into. Great! I like how he developed the characters in this one though I had figured out once the character came into the book. I like how the plot stayed on course and made you want to keep reading. Enjoy if you like a good mystery.
  • Sunrise
  • The Cross Examination of Jesus Christ
  • It Wasn't Always Easy, but I Sure Had Fun
  • Swan Place
  • Old Wounds (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #3)
  • Silent Snow
  • Dead Winter (Brady Coyne, #8)
  • The Wild Mother
  • You Only Die Twice
  • Family Skeletons (Torie O'Shea, #1)
  • A Beautiful Place to Die (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #1)
  • Years of Victory 1802-1812
Phillip DePoy has published short fiction, poetry, and criticism in Story, The Southern Poetry Review, Xanadu, Yankee, and other magazines. He is currently the creative director of the Maurice Townsend Center for the Performing Arts at the State University of West Georgia, and has had many productions of his plays at regional theaters throughout the south. He is the recipient of numerous grants fr ...more
More about Phillip DePoy...

Fever Devilin (7 books)
  • The Devil's Hearth (Fever Devilin, #1)
  • A Minister's Ghost (Fever Devilin, #3)
  • A Widow's Curse (Fever Devilin, #4)
  • The Drifter's Wheel (Fever Devilin, #5)
  • A Corpse's Nightmare (Fever Devilin, #6)
  • December's Thorn: A Fever Devilin Novel (Fever Devilin #7)