The Witch's Grave: A Fever Devilin Mystery

The Witch's Grave: A Fever Devilin Mystery (Fever Devilin #2)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  223 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Fever Devilin was raised amongst the hill-country people of the deep Georgia Appalachians and their seemingly simple folk ways are in his blood and his soul. His own family, however, was another matter and at sixteen he left home for college, returning only rarely and always under protest. In the years to come, Fever became a noted folklorist of the Appalachian region and...more
Published February 9th 2004 by Minotaur Books (first published February 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Witch's Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witch's Grave

LJ
First sentence: No one expected violence at church, or the dead bodies that soon followed it.

M Christopher
Another page turner featuring Fever Devilin by Philip DePoy. Among other things, we learn who killed the town mortician (NOT a nice man), the derivation of Fever's family name, and what made the witch think she was dead. But WHEN is Fever going to tell Lucinda how he feels? Great fun.
Marcy Skala
Dec 22, 2012 Marcy Skala rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: mystery
Linda  Branham Greenwell
The main character is Fever Devlin, a retired folklorist college professor - early retirement, I might add. His college friend, and fellow teacher is visiting him in his Blue Mountain home. Fever's boyhood best friend is Deputy Sheriff, Skidmore Needle, who is running for sheriff
In this novel, Fever again demonstrates ag and his intuitive approach to crime solving, while getting to know his buddy, Dr. Andrews, a British colleague
In this novel, the local mortician Harding Pinhurst is found dead....more
Cora Lockhart
What I enjoyed most about The Witch's Grave is the Appalachian folklore woven through the story revolving around the murder of a mortician/funeral director. DePoy teaches at a university near my library. I came across his Fever Devlin series by chance and like to support local authors. This particular story is what I like to refer to as puritanical. In other words, straight forward and probably quite opposite to the magical realism I adore. When I read a story, I like sucking on the words, letti...more
Karen
Mar 13, 2012 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves folk stories and superstitions or a good mystery
Recommended to Karen by: a friend at the hospital
Fever Devilin is on a working 'vacation' in his home town of Blue Mountain in the heart of Georgia's Appalachian Region. This time he has brought along city slicker and Shakespear expert Anderson who is also on vacation, tho' a resting one. Fever brought along his tape recorder, note books and camera to try to gather more of the Appalachian folk lore he grew up with. He is ultimately caught up in a murder, missing man and woman and the belief in witchcraft in the 20th century. Truevine in a very...more
Mike (the Paladin)
The single star is a subjective rating. I didn't like the book. Then again I don't care for mysteries and I don't care for romance. This was my wife's book. She passed away almost two years ago and I've been looking over my shelves, forced to thin them out because I've moved to a place with much less room. I don't like to sell, trade or whatever books without reading (or as in this case attempting to read) them.

I don't know where Mr. DePoy was born (he's a New Yorker at this point)but I really d...more
Patrick
I enjoy this series of books, but have a hard time finding any of them for my own collection. Libraries are the best places to find them for me, but I have been able to pick up a couple on Amazon.

Fever Devilin is a "retired" university professor in the folklore department. The retirement was the university's idea, and not Fever's. With the elimination of his department, Fever has had little else to do other than move back to his childhood home in rural Blue Mountains of Georgia. His academic dri...more
Sharon Michael
This series is addicting and I'm not quite sure just why. First book hooked me, this second one pretty much set the hook. A lot of things I like, mystery with a heavy touch of paranormal. A setting I particularly like, rural/backwoods Georgia mountains with characters I'm beginning to recognize after living 12 years in rural KY. Conflicted and highly educated main character returning to the small town where he grew up, someone that seems very authentic in reading.

The language is a smooth juxtapo...more
Beth Rea
This was one of those rare 5-star books for me. Though it is the second in the series, and the first I've read, it was in some ways near-magical. The writing, while at times stumbling over a turn of phrase, is lyrical enough to draw images of the Georgian Appaliachia in the mind while firmly establishing a strong locale and voice. This book has it all - ghosts, various spooky tales within the story, cemetaries, a haunted house, colorful characters, as well as murder and mayhem.

The characters, wh...more
Virginia
Apr 26, 2009 Virginia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes mysteries with a paranormal twist.
Recommended to Virginia by: Found it at half price books
Loved this book. It was one that I couldn't put down. Luckily we had a rainy Sunday and I indulged my need to finish it. Fever Devilin is an academic sleuth who records folk tales from his small home town of Blue Mountain. I believe this is his second book and the story evolves around finding the local mortician naked and dead in a ravine close to his house. Two other local character disappear at the same time. One has a reputation of being a witch. It also revolves around his own odd family his...more
Kate
Sep 10, 2008 Kate rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cozy American mystery readers
Shelves: mystery, southern
This was a "meh" book for me. I was sure I would like it as I love folklore, especially spooky folklore, and I come from a long line fo proud hillbillies, so the Appalacian setting was right up my alley. But I found the amateur sleuth, folklorist Fever Devlin, to be bland and uninteresting. The mystery was OK, the end was not spooky at all but I didn't see it coming, so I guess that's a plus. I might give one of his others in this series a try...but only if I run out of other things to read (lik...more
Paula
It took me a few pages to get into this book and used to the prose but once I did, I very much enjoyed it. It's a mystery with a bit of paranormal in it.

Fever Devilin's friend Dr. Andrews is visiting from Atlanta while on vacation. A naked body is found in a ditch near Devilin's property. Fever and Andrews are following the clues from the hill people to solve the crime.

There are a lot of sub plots throughout the book but it is an interesting story. I'll try and find the first in this series and...more
Melanti
Fever Devilin is a folklorist who spends his days collecting folk tales and songs for his research. If nothing else, Fever's occupation should make me love this series. But for some reason, I don't.

Maybe it's the slightly condescending attitude towards the folklore, or maybe it's the slightly too old-fashioned to be true people inhabiting the town, or maybe it's the way that everyone Fever talks to seems to know exactly who committed which crimes but no one ever bothers to tell the police.
Catherine Woodman
Fever Devilin, a folklorist, has returned to his home deep in Appalachia Georgia. Truevine Deveroe, a local girl considered to be a witch, goes missing; the mortician Harding Pinhurst, one of Fever's least favorite people, turns up murdered and Truvine's fiancé, Able Carter, is the suspect. Fever, his friend, houseguest and Shakespeare scholar, Dr. Winton Andrews, and childhood friend Deputy Sheriff Skidmore Needle, need to find Truevine and Able, and Harding' killer.
Linda
I love this series that features Fever Devilin, a folklorist who's left his university position to return to his Appalachian hometown. The characters are lovingly rendered, and the prose is often poetic. Plus, DePoy throws in a reference now and again to the Sacred Harp. The plot kept me reading, though I read for characters and therefore will forgive all but the most egregious inconsistencies. It has to be REALLY bad for me to notice.
Sheila Beaumont
A very enjoyable read, the second Fever Devilin mystery I've read. Fever has returned to his roots in the Georgian Appalachians, having abandoned his academic life as a college professor and folklorist. The characters are vividly portrayed, the sense of place is strong, the mystery is complex, and the old regional supernatural legends are fascinating. The writing is excellent too. I'm looking forward to reading more of this series.
George
#2 in the Fever Devillin mystery series set in very rural northern Georgia. Fever and a fellow university professor friend find themselves involved with murder set against the various interrelationships and history of the small town of Blue Mountain where Fever was born and raised. There are numerous subplots involved with contribute to the mystery as well as history of the town and its residents complicating this slow moving story.
Raye
I love DePoy's Fever Develin mystery series, and The Witch's Grave is a great example. It has all the touchstones of the series: the haunting mystery, the inextricable links to the past, the delicious local foods, and the local characters who seem a real part of place and are never forced. As an Atlantan, I have a special joy in the way he realizes north Georgia without ever patronizing the South. Recommended.
lynne naranek
This second installment of the folklorist who moves back into his small town community in the Appalachian mountains just didn't hook me the way the first book did.

Another dead body, more conspiracies in a town that doesn't say things as much as they actually say things. This time around, the "punchline" was rather far-fetched.

I *was* going to read books 3 & 4, but now, I'm not so sure....
Christina
The Fever Devilin Mystery series has really become a dark horse favorite for me; I love the way that the Georgia Appalachians became not just the setting, but a silent character in these books. Our protagonist Fever is fully formed: you get a real sense of him, and through him, for the characters who surround him.
Ann
I love the Blue Mountain GA setting and descriptions of the people and Appalachian ways and history; but I think what I really like best is seeing the world though the eyes of Fever (Andrews and Skidmore) A classic who-dunnit, though not occurring in the parlor, but in the graveyard.
Kit Swindle
A really well written book; the author captured my attention shortly into the book, which is impossible sometimes. His use of alliteration and small town cultural quirks made the book intelligent and genuine. I am interested in following the "Fever Devilin" series now!
Susan Lance
Started off strong with a good story line. It was a murder mystery, which I usually enjoy. But the book just didn't hold my interest. It was a short book and took me more than a week to finish. Lots of characters and extraneous info that wasn't necessary to the story.
Michelle
A new book series for me to get into. Great! I like how he developed the characters in this one though I had figured out once the character came into the book. I like how the plot stayed on course and made you want to keep reading. Enjoy if you like a good mystery.
Roberta
I am "reading the shelf" on this series of mysteries which take place in the Appalachian Mountains. The detective is a former professor of folklore and shares interesting information on the arts/crafts, stories,and music of that area. An easy read.
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
I grew up and still live in the North GA mountains featured in this book. I loved the Appalachian folklore in this book. It's always been fascinating to me. The story part did tend to drag in places but over all I enjoyed the book.
Carol
Apr 18, 2009 Carol rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
the first Fever Devlin mystery-I have read--I am on the lookout for the other one and hope he continues the series-Fever is an intereszting character and the people around him and Folklife references certainly kept me interested.
Ruth
2nd in Fever Devilin series. Fever, Andrew and Skid search for Skid's brother in law and his girlfriend - the local witch and the Deveroe's sister. Deals with crematorium mismanagement and hobo cemetery communities.
Hapzydeco
Second in the series - became more familiar with Devil in personal history and the ways of Georgia Appalachians. Forklore. People are too close to the surroundings and therefore link legends to their whereabouts.
  • Sunrise
  • Kathy Sue Loudermilk, I Love You
  • Silent Snow
  • Vineyard Fear (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #4)
  • Swan Place
  • The Cross Examination of Oliver Finney
  • The Last Grave (Witch Hunt, #2)
  • You Only Die Twice
  • Family Skeletons (Torie O'Shea, #1)
  • Do Unto Others
  • O' Artful Death
  • The Heat of the Moon (Rachel Goddard Mystery #1)
  • Jass (Storyville, #2)
  • The Cradle Robbers (A Mommy-Track Mystery, #6)
  • Marriage Is Murder (Jenny Cain, #4)
  • A Bloodhound To Die For
  • A Glancing Light (The Chris Norgren Mysteries, #2)
Phillip DePoy has published short fiction, poetry, and criticism in Story, The Southern Poetry Review, Xanadu, Yankee, and other magazines. He is currently the creative director of the Maurice Townsend Center for the Performing Arts at the State University of West Georgia, and has had many productions of his plays at regional theaters throughout the south. He is the recipient of numerous grants fr...more
More about Phillip DePoy...
A Minister's Ghost (Fever Devilin, #3) The Devil's Hearth (Fever Devilin, #1) The Drifter's Wheel (Fever Devilin, #5) A Widow's Curse (Fever Devilin, #4) A Corpse's Nightmare (Fever Devilin, #6)