Start by marking “Powdered Peril (Donut Shop Mystery, #8)” as Want to Read:
Powdered Peril (Donut Shop Mystery, #8)

Powdered Peril (Donut Shop Mystery #8)

It’s hard to keep a secret in April Springs—especially when it involves a no-good cheater like Peter Morgan. Donut shop owner Suzanne Hart has tried to be civil with the guy, since he’s dating her best friend Grace. But when Grace shows up at her doorstep—sobbing—Suzanne’s the first to admit she’s glad the relationship is over. She’s also the first to spot the footprints l ...more
Published August 28th 2012 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Powdered Peril, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Powdered Peril

Lauren Dottin-Radel
I really had no idea who the killer was until the very end. I was sad for Grace but she seems to have taken the death in good spirits.

What I liked in this book was the fact that Suzanne's boyfriend, Jake didn't interfere with the murder at all. I don't like the fact that now that George is mayor, he is taking a back seat and not helping with the "cases." Things may change in the near future but I really so miss him.

I'm also happy that Emma is back but sad at the same time that she didn't give c
Dayjavoo
May 14, 2015 Dayjavoo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I never really write reviews but this time I just need to. It's the first time I've ever given a book a 1 star, and I stress and stress that I'm the kind of person who will easily fall in love with any book I read
BUT NOT THIS TIME
I had high hopes on the book when I first spotted it, since the synopsis sounded pretty interesting and the fact that "Recipes are included" is just a bonus.
But oh the disappointment.

(Ridiculous point no.1) The main character is NOT likeable. AT ALL.

OK, I get it Suzan
Wendy
Sep 01, 2012 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powdered Peril stands up just fine as a stand alone mystery, but one of the many things I love about cozy mysteries is the sense of being part of a family that you get from reading each book in a series. When we first met donut shop owner Suzanne Hart she was recovering from a broken marriage and just learning to stand on her own. In the books since then we have come to know and enjoy the growth in Suzanne's personal and business life. Suzanne's mother has grown as well, moving on to a new chapt ...more
Cheryl
Mar 10, 2016 Cheryl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read another book in this series and had an enjoyable time with it. The characters were quirky and entertaining. The type of people you would find in a cozy mystery. The recipes are a bonus as well as add to the story.

This book did not grab my attention like the other book. Instead of really getting to visit with other characters in town, it was mainly focused on Suzanne and Grace. Which the bond these two have as friends is great. Yet they really could not hold the whole story by themselves.
Luffy
Aug 09, 2014 Luffy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I may change my tune tomorrow, but at the moment I feel that I could read a hundred Donut Shop Mysteries back to back. It ended all too abruptly, an anomaly in this morphing, slick, well narrated book. Both the beginning and the end were book ends to the meat of the story, as they departed starkly from the usual style of Jessica Beck.

I cannot take too much credit for predicting this book's victim in advance. It seems that whenever a new character is threatening to dislodge the established pant
Debbie
Jul 08, 2013 Debbie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-cozies
I normally love this series but this book annoyed me. I got a little tired of reading in every chapter what a wonderful, strong friend Grace is. Alright, I got it...move on. This story was almost more Grace worship than a story. I'll stick with the series because I have enjoyed the rest and hope that the next is better.
Nora-adrienne
Oct 02, 2012 Nora-adrienne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozies
Jessica Beck's Donut Shop series has reached a new plateau. Between the number of suspects, the amount of work Suzanne and Grace have to put in to solve this mystery, and the totally surprise ending, you will not put this book down for even a second, until you've reached the last page.

A total winner!
Molli
Nov 19, 2012 Molli rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
This is the last book I read of this series. I liked them much better earlier on. It drives me insane how there are no clues to who the killer is- I will give credit the killer is always an introduced character. I like a fluff book now and then, and these aren't even good enough for that anymore.
Marty
Apr 13, 2016 Marty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I hate these nitzy-cutesy names for books, the story is OK. It is one of a series of stories about the owner of Donut Hearts coffee shop in April Springs, No. Carolina. Suzanne Hart gets up early to start the donuts and has afternoons to have adventures. This time her girlfriend Grace broke up with her boyfriend and later that same evening Suzanne finds the said boyfriend dead. As the two women look for the real killer they find he was involved with several other women and in some nefar ...more
Fanficfan44
Jul 09, 2015 Fanficfan44 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Powdered Peril is book 8 in the A Donut Shop mystery series. I really do enjoy this series and plan to continue reading it. The recurring characters from the earlier books are all here again and in fact Grace is central to the mystery in this one, as a suspect in a murder. There are plentiful red herrings in the story and it made for a great finish. Suzanne, the protagonist, can be a little brusque but it worked for me, with the stress of her best friend being accused of murder, running her busi ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This was a great read. Familiar sleuth friends, Suzanne Hart and Grace Gauge are racing against time and evidence to prove the innocence of Grace in the murder of her boyfriend, Peter Morgan.

As the duo investigates on their own,having refused the help of the Mayor George, Suzanne's boyfriend, Jake, a state policeman, and others, they find to their shame and disgust, that Peter was not worthy of Grace nor any other woman's heart.

A serial womanizer is just the frosting on the donut as we learn. Pe
Anastasia
Nov 22, 2014 Anastasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Powdered Peril by Jessica Beck is the 8th book in A Donut Shop mystery series. Suzanne's friend Grace's boyfriend is found murdered and she asks Suzanne to help her find the killer. A great light mystery read although Suzanne stumbles across the killer rather than solving the crime. She comes across as having a rather over-inflated view of her sleuthing skills. Recipes are included and look delicious. It's hard to keep away from the donuts.
Laurie
Mar 09, 2016 Laurie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
Have read several earlier books in this series and liked them-in this one Suzanne is arrogant, confrontational and just plain nasty to people who are supposed to be friends. She needs to wear pink for anti-bullying.
mracus walker
Apr 18, 2015 mracus walker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

I really did enjoy this book.I am a great fan of jessica beck the series about doughnuts shop mysteries it is spell bounding .I had a hard time putting it down.
Sharon Thrasher
Jun 02, 2016 Sharon Thrasher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Friendship

I like this series because of the friendship, the mystery and the family. Solving murders is fun to work with. And most of this series has good ones.
Kate
Feb 26, 2013 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is always fun, but now that we are this far along it would be nice to see some movement in Suzanne's life, in some way or another, so she isn't just a flat character whose life is stagnant. I think the author is getting tired of coming up with donut recipes (see the recipe for what she literally named "Probably Not the Worst Donut in the World You'll Ever Eat". .. Doesn't exactly inspire one to get cooking, does it?). There are so many limitless flavors, not just for donuts, but for ...more
Joseph
May 05, 2015 Joseph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Besides the donut recipies and the main characters donut shop, this has nothing to do with donuts.

Donut shove anymore half baked puns in my face ;)
Jeanne Stephens
Oct 20, 2012 Jeanne Stephens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This edition of the Donut Shop Mysteries won’t disappoint. Suzanne’s and her friend Grace investigate the murder of Grace’s boyfriend.
Don’t worry; tears will be optional because Peter turns out to be a real player. Who wasn’t he sleeping with?
Suzanne and Grace get into a few jams investigation all the possible suspects. As usual in this series they are light years ahead of the local police department even though they investigate in their spare time.
You will love this series and the recipes look
LeeAnn
Jun 06, 2014 LeeAnn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
When I need something fun and light, this series is perfect. And one of these days, I might just try out one of the donut recipes.
Emilia
Mar 25, 2014 Emilia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cosy-mystery
great cozy! :) quite fast paced, and the killer turned out to be a person I did not give much thought :) well done!!!
(plus I have now 2 new recipes to try... ;) )
Elise Dubois
Jul 18, 2014 Elise Dubois rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read. Interesting for just two of the usual party to work through the mystery.
Jordan Taylor
Feb 23, 2015 Jordan Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good book.
Julie Austin Edwards
If you look at my review for "Illegally Iced" by the same author, that's how I feel about this book as well.
Sep 04, 2012 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
what I particularly liked, was remembering the characters almost from the start. This means [to me] that the characters are vital to the storyline as well as likable. I had just returned a book to the library cuz I couldn't get "into the story", could not "call up" the characters from my memory bank and nothing "grabbed me"---sooo, I returned the book, unfinished. The books I read are ones where I've read all in the series and when a "new" book is released I read.
Emily Olson
good enough for me to check out the rest of her books
Susan
Grace has just broken up with her cheating boyfriend Peter Morgan when the police find him murdered. This makes her a person of interest, but fortunately her best friend is donut maker Suzanne Hart, who has solved several murders in the past, and who certainly won't leave Grace to the tender mercies of the police. A lot of people had it in for Peter, and the women interview them and do a lot of snooping before the murderer comes to them.
Kimberly
Jan 02, 2015 Kimberly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I'm torn. I really like this series, but Suzanne is starting to sound like a bully. No wonder Chief Martin gets so mad at her during an investigation. I thought it took a lot of nerve for her to be offended at Nan being mad at Suzanne for questioning her like she did. Suzanne's approach at investigating left a bad taste for me to the point where I didn't enjoy the book as much as I wanted to.
Syretta
Mar 10, 2013 Syretta rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ok tried another one and this was the worst. I checked it out from library and it was a paperback, which is usually an easy read for me...it took me weeks to finish this...and I didn't even read the whole thing. I skipped to the end..

Suzanne is boring and getting more irritating by the books..her mother is even more irritating than she is.

Dull book, done with this series..
Karen
Jul 24, 2013 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick easy light mystery. They always make me hungry. Lol it must be the donut recipes. I have only made one recipe from this series and it was good it is just too fattening lol. The story was good. I liked watching grace be a main character and Suzanne helping a friend out. The mystery was not solved as easily for me. Lots of red herrings in this one. I liked,it
Ramona
May 19, 2013 Ramona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these donut shop cozy mysteries. This one involved Suzanne's best friend Grace. Graces boyfriend was murdered and it was up to Suzanne to clear her best friends's name. She was also dealing with a new assistant in the shop as her long time employee Emily went off to college. Makes me want to open up a donut shop or at least make a stop at Dunkin Donuts. Lol.
  • Red Velvet Revenge (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #4)
  • Rest In Pizza (Pizza Lovers, #4)
  • The Chocolate Castle Clue (A Chocoholic Mystery, #11)
  • Scoop to Kill (A Mystery a La Mode, #2)
  • Sour Apples (Orchard, #6)
  • Cake on a Hot Tin Roof (A Piece of Cake Mystery #2)
  • Goody Goody Gunshots (A Candy Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Crops and Robbers (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #3)
  • Death in Four Courses (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #2)
  • Clobbered by Camembert (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #3)
  • A Cookie Before Dying (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #2)
Jessica Beck is a pseudonym used by
Tim Myers.
Jessica Beck is the penname of an author who has been nominated for the Agatha Award and named an Independent Mystery Booksellers Association national bestseller nearly a dozen times.

Jessica Beck loves donuts, and has the figure to prove it. It's amazing what people can convince themselves is all in the name of research! For each recipe featured in the
More about Jessica Beck...

Donut Shop Mystery (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Glazed Murder (Donut Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Fatally Frosted (Donut Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Sinister Sprinkles (Donut Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Evil Eclairs (Donut Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Tragic Toppings (Donut Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Killer Crullers (Donut Shop Mystery, #6)
  • Drop Dead Chocolate (Donut Shop Mystery, #7)
  • Illegally Iced (Donut Shop Mystery, #9)
  • Deadly Donuts (Donut Shop Mystery, #10)
  • Assault and Batter (Donut Shop Mystery, #11)