Start by marking “Powdered Peril (Donut Shop Mystery, #8)” as Want to Read:
Powdered Peril (Donut Shop Mystery, #8)

Powdered Peril (Donut Shop Mystery #8)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  642 ratings  ·  54 reviews
It’s hard to keep a secret in April Springs—especially when it involves a no-good cheater like Peter Morgan. Donut shop owner Suzanne Hart has tried to be civil with the guy, since he’s dating her best friend Grace. But when Grace shows up at her doorstep—sobbing—Suzanne’s the first to admit she’s glad the relationship is over. She’s also the first to spot the footprints l ...more
Published August 28th 2012 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Powdered Peril, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Powdered Peril

Wendy
Powdered Peril stands up just fine as a stand alone mystery, but one of the many things I love about cozy mysteries is the sense of being part of a family that you get from reading each book in a series. When we first met donut shop owner Suzanne Hart she was recovering from a broken marriage and just learning to stand on her own. In the books since then we have come to know and enjoy the growth in Suzanne's personal and business life. Suzanne's mother has grown as well, moving on to a new chapt ...more
Dayjavoo
I never really write reviews but this time I just need to. It's the first time I've ever given a book a 1 star, and I stress and stress that I'm the kind of person who will easily fall in love with any book I read
BUT NOT THIS TIME
I had high hopes on the book when I first spotted it, since the synopsis sounded pretty interesting and the fact that "Recipes are included" is just a bonus.
But oh the disappointment.

(Ridiculous point no.1) The main character is NOT likeable. AT ALL.

OK, I get it Suzan
Luffy Monkey D.
I may change my tune tomorrow, but at the moment I feel that I could read a hundred Donut Shop Mysteries back to back. It ended all too abruptly, an anomaly in this morphing, slick, well narrated book. Both the beginning and the end were book ends to the meat of the story, as they departed starkly from the usual style of Jessica Beck.

I cannot take too much credit for predicting this book's victim in advance. It seems that whenever a new character is threatening to dislodge the established pant
Debbie
I normally love this series but this book annoyed me. I got a little tired of reading in every chapter what a wonderful, strong friend Grace is. Alright, I got it...move on. This story was almost more Grace worship than a story. I'll stick with the series because I have enjoyed the rest and hope that the next is better.
Nora-adrienne
Jessica Beck's Donut Shop series has reached a new plateau. Between the number of suspects, the amount of work Suzanne and Grace have to put in to solve this mystery, and the totally surprise ending, you will not put this book down for even a second, until you've reached the last page.

A total winner!
Molli
This is the last book I read of this series. I liked them much better earlier on. It drives me insane how there are no clues to who the killer is- I will give credit the killer is always an introduced character. I like a fluff book now and then, and these aren't even good enough for that anymore.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This was a great read. Familiar sleuth friends, Suzanne Hart and Grace Gauge are racing against time and evidence to prove the innocence of Grace in the murder of her boyfriend, Peter Morgan.

As the duo investigates on their own,having refused the help of the Mayor George, Suzanne's boyfriend, Jake, a state policeman, and others, they find to their shame and disgust, that Peter was not worthy of Grace nor any other woman's heart.

A serial womanizer is just the frosting on the donut as we learn. Pe
Anastasia
Powdered Peril by Jessica Beck is the 8th book in A Donut Shop mystery series. Suzanne's friend Grace's boyfriend is found murdered and she asks Suzanne to help her find the killer. A great light mystery read although Suzanne stumbles across the killer rather than solving the crime. She comes across as having a rather over-inflated view of her sleuthing skills. Recipes are included and look delicious. It's hard to keep away from the donuts.
mracus walker
Great book

I really did enjoy this book.I am a great fan of jessica beck the series about doughnuts shop mysteries it is spell bounding .I had a hard time putting it down.
Kate
This series is always fun, but now that we are this far along it would be nice to see some movement in Suzanne's life, in some way or another, so she isn't just a flat character whose life is stagnant. I think the author is getting tired of coming up with donut recipes (see the recipe for what she literally named "Probably Not the Worst Donut in the World You'll Ever Eat". .. Doesn't exactly inspire one to get cooking, does it?). There are so many limitless flavors, not just for donuts, but for ...more
Joseph
Besides the donut recipies and the main characters donut shop, this has nothing to do with donuts.

Donut shove anymore half baked puns in my face ;)
Jeanne Stephens

This edition of the Donut Shop Mysteries won’t disappoint. Suzanne’s and her friend Grace investigate the murder of Grace’s boyfriend.
Don’t worry; tears will be optional because Peter turns out to be a real player. Who wasn’t he sleeping with?
Suzanne and Grace get into a few jams investigation all the possible suspects. As usual in this series they are light years ahead of the local police department even though they investigate in their spare time.
You will love this series and the recipes look
LeeAnn
When I need something fun and light, this series is perfect. And one of these days, I might just try out one of the donut recipes.
Emilia
great cozy! :) quite fast paced, and the killer turned out to be a person I did not give much thought :) well done!!!
(plus I have now 2 new recipes to try... ;) )
Elise Dubois
An easy read. Interesting for just two of the usual party to work through the mystery.
what I particularly liked, was remembering the characters almost from the start. This means [to me] that the characters are vital to the storyline as well as likable. I had just returned a book to the library cuz I couldn't get "into the story", could not "call up" the characters from my memory bank and nothing "grabbed me"---sooo, I returned the book, unfinished. The books I read are ones where I've read all in the series and when a "new" book is released I read.
Emily Olson
good enough for me to check out the rest of her books
Susan
Grace has just broken up with her cheating boyfriend Peter Morgan when the police find him murdered. This makes her a person of interest, but fortunately her best friend is donut maker Suzanne Hart, who has solved several murders in the past, and who certainly won't leave Grace to the tender mercies of the police. A lot of people had it in for Peter, and the women interview them and do a lot of snooping before the murderer comes to them.
Kimberly
I'm torn. I really like this series, but Suzanne is starting to sound like a bully. No wonder Chief Martin gets so mad at her during an investigation. I thought it took a lot of nerve for her to be offended at Nan being mad at Suzanne for questioning her like she did. Suzanne's approach at investigating left a bad taste for me to the point where I didn't enjoy the book as much as I wanted to.
Syretta
Ok tried another one and this was the worst. I checked it out from library and it was a paperback, which is usually an easy read for me...it took me weeks to finish this...and I didn't even read the whole thing. I skipped to the end..

Suzanne is boring and getting more irritating by the books..her mother is even more irritating than she is.

Dull book, done with this series..
Karen
Quick easy light mystery. They always make me hungry. Lol it must be the donut recipes. I have only made one recipe from this series and it was good it is just too fattening lol. The story was good. I liked watching grace be a main character and Suzanne helping a friend out. The mystery was not solved as easily for me. Lots of red herrings in this one. I liked,it
Ramona
I love these donut shop cozy mysteries. This one involved Suzanne's best friend Grace. Graces boyfriend was murdered and it was up to Suzanne to clear her best friends's name. She was also dealing with a new assistant in the shop as her long time employee Emily went off to college. Makes me want to open up a donut shop or at least make a stop at Dunkin Donuts. Lol.
Trisha
I've really enjoyed this series and this is no exception. This one hits very close to home as Suzanne's best friend Grace is now a person of interested in her ex-boyfriend's murder. As they investigate, they turn up all sorts of stuff about Peter that Grace didn't know. It's a little strange with George as mayor but it wasn't bad. Enjoyable read.
Amanda
Suzanne and Grace are simply incredible!

This was a fantastic addition to this sweet series.

Suzanne and Jake are a perfect couple, I really hope that they find a way to spend more time together and move to the next stage of their relationship.

I loved the ending chapters, and I can't wait to read the next novel in this series.
Amanda
Suzanne and Grace are simply incredible!

This was a fantastic addition to this sweet series.

Celeste
I love this series because I almost feel as though I'm part of the family of characters. I've gotten to know Suzanne and her donut shop and I feel right at home
In this book, I'm saddened by the loss of Emma ( Suzanne's donut partner) but I understand her need to try college.
This is a really fun " cozy mystery" genre series
Gretchen
After eight of these books, the plots become very similar: someone is murdered, and Suzanne and Grace make a list of suspects and then drive all over the county asking them questions about their relationship with the dead person. I like the characters, but this one seemed a little dull or something. Better luck next time.
Sandra
I enjoyed the book however I am disappointed with how the murderer was revealed. There were some unanswered questions as well. I have read the rest of the series and have enjoyed them all.
Connie Easlick
Poor Grace!! This time Grace has to deal with being accused of murder! And it's her own boyfriend!
Suzanne has to deal with having a new assistant in this book and I like what happens as it progresses with that particular line. I also really like the ending. It is cool to have such a wonderful mom and friends.
  • Rest In Pizza (Pizza Lovers, #4)
  • Red Velvet Revenge (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #4)
  • The Chocolate Moose Motive (A Chocoholic Mystery, #12)
  • Arsenic and Old Cake (A Piece of Cake Mystery, #3)
  • Sucker Punch (A Candy Shop Mystery, #5)
  • If Fried Chicken Could Fly (Gram’s Country Cooking School Mystery #1)
  • One Dead Cookie (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Hickory Smoked Homicide (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #3)
  • To Brie or Not To Brie (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Sour Apples (Orchard, #6)
  • Peach Pies and Alibis (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery #2)
Jessica Beck is a pseudonym used by
Tim Myers.
Jessica Beck is the penname of an author who has been nominated for the Agatha Award and named an Independent Mystery Booksellers Association national bestseller nearly a dozen times.

Jessica Beck loves donuts, and has the figure to prove it. It's amazing what people can convince themselves is all in the name of research! For each recipe featured in the
More about Jessica Beck...

Donut Shop Mystery (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Glazed Murder (Donut Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Fatally Frosted (Donut Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Sinister Sprinkles (Donut Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Evil Eclairs (Donut Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Tragic Toppings (Donut Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Killer Crullers (Donut Shop Mystery, #6)
  • Drop Dead Chocolate (Donut Shop Mystery, #7)
  • Illegally Iced (Donut Shop Mystery, #9)
  • Deadly Donuts (Donut Shop Mystery, #10)
  • Assault and Batter (Donut Shop Mystery, #11)
Glazed Murder (Donut Shop Mystery, #1) Fatally Frosted (Donut Shop Mystery, #2) Sinister Sprinkles (Donut Shop Mystery, #3) Tragic Toppings (Donut Shop Mystery, #5) Evil Eclairs (Donut Shop Mystery, #4)