Start by marking “Dead Space: Catalyst” as Want to Read:
Dead Space: Catalyst

Dead Space: Catalyst (Dead Space)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  232 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Two hundred and fifty years in the future, extinction threatens mankind. Tampering with dangerous technology from the Black Marker—an ancient alien artifact discovered on Earth eighty years earlier— Earthgov hopes to save humanity. But the Marker’s influence reanimates corpses into grotesque rampaging nightmares.Steeped in desperation, deceit, and hubris, the history of th ...more
Published October 2nd 2012 by Tor Books (first published July 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Space

Tracy
After reading Dead Space: Martyr a book I really enjoyed I went looking for more Dead Space books. Searching the internet I discovered it was a video game so it surprised me more to discover how well the book was written.
Well at the book store I discovered Dead Space Catalyst and was excited to start reading as I enjoyed the first one so much. I was not disappointed. Dead Space Catalyst is extremely well written with Characters and a Plot that was believable. The Plot through the whole book jus
Nate
The protagonist is likable, if a little... disturbingly unaffected at times by the awful things happening around him, or the awful things he had to do. I suspect this was a result of a tight deadline, though; some passages showed him being really broken up by events, so the author likely just didn't have the time to focus on the character's emotional trauma at every turn.

The story is engaging, albeit rather slow-paced. The Necromorphs don't even show up until the last third of the book or so. St
Brittany Adelle
The first novel in this series was better. The characters and plot were more developed and felt more like a Dead Space based book. But I can't get over how much I love this author's style! keep it up BK Evenson!
Achtung Englander
This is the second book by B.K. Evenson set in the Dead Space universe and is again a prequel to the first game. Unlike the first book which establishes the universe, the history of the Marker and the religion of Unitology set around its unwilling martyr Michael Altman, this is a story that is stand alone and does not add anything new to the canon.

It is about two brothers who find their lives intertwined with signals from the Markers. The novel certainly has high points especially in the last t
Alex Messenger
As with the Dead Space book before it, an adequate read that does keep you engaged till the end, but nothing spectacular. Works to enforce the lore of the Dead Space universe but is a bit similar to the first book and not much new.
Nick Raines
Finished with this one, it dragged here and there but all in all it was a decent book. If you like the Dead Space games then it is worth a read to get another experiment on the marker gone wrong, insanity and suicide rates increase exponentially in the secret prison colony after the marker gains power. We get two perspectives in this story, one is Istvan who is chosen by the marker to be a prophet of sorts and Jensi his brother who has to scour the universe after his brother is sent to the secre ...more
Nate
Not bad. A perfectly reasonable addition to the Dead Space mythos. I did think that the book took longer than necessary to get to the action, although the writing was strong enough to keep me interested as the pieces were put into place. The action was pretty good, though. My biggest complaint, I think, would be that several plot threads were left dangling at the end of the book. The main character's plot resolved, but several side plots remained. I would have preferred that everything introduce ...more
Erik Tharp
If you love DeadSpace series then you wont be disapointed. Brian Evenson did a very well job at writing this novel and kept the suspense going, a bit of a slow start but thats just good character build up, kinda disapointed tho since this book left things unaswered just like the first. And like the first MARTYR the end is left up to your imagination to conclude what actually happens next. My hope is that this is just still the begining of many more of these tales from the DeadSpace series...... ...more
Michael Alexander Henke
I was quite torn on this book. On its own it's an entertaining horror novel, as a Dead Space book it leaves a bit to be desired. It does take quite a while to get going. For the first 200 pages it was hard to realize the book was even science fiction, let alone a Dead Space novel. That's not to say that it's boring or unenjoyable, it just didn't fit with what I was expecting. Also this book doesn't seem to add very much to the Dead Space universe, unlike the first book. It was mildly disappointi ...more
Aaron Weber
Catalyst for me didn't have as much purpose as Martyr but instead turned out to be just another story within the Dead Space universe that was fairly written.

If you're looking for more Dead Space you will certainly find it here, but don't expect the next Isaac or Altman.
Jonathan
Not bad, but not great. For the most part, it does emulate a similar atmosphere for the first two games. But there is something about the general writing style that falls short of its predecessor and source material.
Aubrie
It was a slow, but interesting book. Very much a psychological thriller, just as the games are. The climax makes the wait worth the while, and the ending leaves you wondering what happens next.
Vicki-shawn
Interesting but not amazing, actually kind of redundant, and the ending was disappointing. Honestly I would say the only reason i'm giving it 3 stars is because it is dead space.
Brandt
Really slow in some parts, especially in the first third. Many unanswered plot points.

Taken alone this book adds very little to the Dead Space universe.
That ending really cut off abruptly. Good, but everything came to such a sudden stop in the hopes of setting up an ambiguous ending. Boy was it ambiguous.
Andy Wood
Nowhere near as good as Dead Space Martyr. This book was very slow moving and didn't really add anything new to the existing canon.
Will
Was OK. Felt briefer than Martyr and also had a lack of depth in the characters. Good pace of narrative though.
Jim Tollefson
Slow burn, built through-out. Felt it closed up a bit too quickly, but the circumstances allowed it!
Andrew
Interesting read and an excellent book but doesn't really add anything to the story line unlike the last one.
Victor Vigo
If your a Dead Space fan I think you may enjoy this. If your not a fan you definently skip this.
Gianfranco Mancini
Niente male, ma dall'autore di "Dead Space: Martyr" mi aspettavo molto di più.
Kyle Walter
loved it. not as good as the first, but still pretty awesome
Drew The
Interesting, but still mostly forgettable.
Christianp
Вася Мацканюк
Dec 07, 2013 Вася Мацканюк is currently reading it
Cool book.
Terry J. Benton
Terry J. Benton marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Dean Gjedde
Dean Gjedde marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
  • Dead Space Salvage
  • Dead Space: Liberation
  • Dead Space
  • Alan Wake
  • Gears of War: Jacinto's Remnant (Gears of War, #2)
  • Uncharted: The Fourth Labyrinth
  • Resident Evil: Apocalypse
  • Halo: Blood Line
  • Code: Veronica  (Resident Evil, #6)
  • Darksiders: The Abomination Vault
  • Heaven's Devils (StarCraft II, #1)
  • Devils' Due (StarCraft II, #2)
  • Speed of Darkness (StarCraft, #3)
  • The Infernal City (The Elder Scrolls, #1)
  • Halo: Uprising
  • Infernal Sky (Doom #3)
  • Mass Effect: Ascension (Mass Effect, #2)
Immobility Last Days Fugue State The Open Curtain The Wavering Knife