Start by marking “The Love Dog” as Want to Read:
The Love Dog

The Love Dog

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  74 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Fired from her job as a paralegal, Samantha Novak is in trouble. When Telltale, a Hollywood tabloid, asks her to write an expose on the reality television dating show, The Love Dog, Samantha is thrilled. She's always dreamed of being a writer, and the fat paycheck won't hurt. After being recently left at the altar, she's not too keen on love either.
Hired as the canine sta
Published January 29th 2013 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Love Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Love Dog

Until Tuesday by Luis Carlos MontalvánA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronMarley and Me by John GroganThe Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Top Dog Reads
193rd out of 326 books — 510 voters
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsThe Golden Compass by Philip PullmanWhite Fang by Jack LondonThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Wolves/dogs and other animals on front covers
348th out of 900 books — 312 voters

More lists with this book...

Penny Watson
Mar 25, 2013 Penny Watson rated it really liked it
Shelves: cool-dogs
The premise for this novel is really cute. A tabloid reporter goes undercover on a reality TV show that features a "love dog" who brings together fractured couples. The suspense portion of this story was high...the entire time you're worried that Samantha's cover will be blown. Watson did a good job wrapping up this difficult conflict at the end.

I'm not gonna lie. My favorite character, by far, was the dog Apollo. He was super sweet, loving, and adorable, and I was stressed out thinking he would
Kate
Jul 11, 2015 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, romance
When Samantha is fired from her paralegal job, she's terrified. How is she going to make ends meet? She's knee-deep in debt as it is, and she doesn't have a backup plan. But one comes to her in the form of a job as an undercover tabloid reporter on the hit TV show The Love Dog. Expose the secrets of the show, the tabloid editor says, and her money woes will be history. She secures a job as a dog trainer for Apollo, the love dog himself, and learns some of the dirty secrets of the show's nuts and ...more
Massanutten Regional Library
Holly, Village patron, June 2015, 5 stars:

This book was excellent! I love how the book featured viewpoints from both Samantha (the main character) and Apollo (the Love Dog). Not only was the dog's thoughts super cute and positive, but the book was realistic and I couldn't put it down. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone or any dog lover!

A quick background of the book: Samantha becomes an investigative journalist after losing her job as a paralegal. She gets a job exposing the secret
Joy
Jan 25, 2016 Joy rated it it was amazing
Samantha hates love, the deadly illusion. Apollo the golden retriever breathes love, trying to bring it to everyone around him. Samantha enters her new job as Apollo's caretaker so that she can spy around and debunk Apollo's TV show "The Love Dog" for a scandal sheet. "The Love Dog" is a fake like most reality shows, but only because Apollo isn't allowed to step outside his script. Then Samantha falls in love with Apollo and the show's host, Mason Hall. While the show blossoms, Samantha is trapp ...more
Melissa
Mar 08, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it
I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this book, but I do like a contemporary romance, it's HEA. I especially enjoy books with animals in them. So, I was looking forward to reading this. What I did not expect was Apollo's POV. Yep, you get a POV of the dog! Let me tell you, I was thinking it would be corny... and it was a bit... but in the best way. Those sections often put a smile on my face.

In this story we mostly follow Samantha, our human guide throughout this story. She is heartbroken and
Star (The Bibliophilic Book Blog)
Apr 10, 2013 Star (The Bibliophilic Book Blog) rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Samantha Novak is a paralegal and an "anti-love" blogger who dreams of being a published fiction author. When she’s fired from her paralegal job because she stood up for her firm’s client, she doesn’t know what she’s going to do for work. She gets a call from a tabloid editor who has read her blog and wants her to dig up dirt on a reality TV show called The Love Dog. She finds an “in” as a dog handler for the star of the show, Apollo, and is well on her way to exposing the ugly truth behind ‘rea ...more
Jackie Bouchard
Jun 04, 2013 Jackie Bouchard rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: chick-lit & dog lovers
Recommended to Jackie by: Peggy Frezon
Shelves: dogs
I'm not much for romance (I hate Valentine's Day, dating shows, corny pop songs, etc.), but I do like a good romantic comedy. Throw in a dog and I'm sold.

This story switches back and forth between the dog (Apollo) and the heroine's point of view. Sure, you can see where the story is going, headed for that Happy Ever After ending, but the parts with Apollo pushed this firmly into 5 stars land for me. I was amazed how quickly I fell in love with Apollo. Watson manages to get you on his side, routi
Waverly Curtis
Jun 28, 2013 Waverly Curtis rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a perfect book. As an author, I had to admire the way Elsa Watson created such tension from the very start. Her human protagonist gets her dream job (writing an expose about a reality TV show she believes is staged--and it is!) but she gradually falls in love with her co-workers, especially the dog, Apollo, and her handsome boss. Her point of view alternates with that of the Love Dog, Apollo, who truly is a love dog (he does a loving-kindness meditation every night before goin ...more
Freda Labianca
Jan 15, 2016 Freda Labianca rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I liked this book better than the first only because the story had more of the dogs' viewpoint than the previous book. That is what I loved most, Appollos' viewpoint. Appollo is the beautiful Golden Retriever on the cover, and he is the sweetest dog ever. Well, after my Bella and Ewok, of course.
I really liked the other two viewpoints, Sam, the female love interest and Mason, the male love interest. They were both interesting characters for their own reasons, and I liked the sweet romance that b
Jessie
Mar 22, 2013 Jessie rated it it was ok
Shelves: night-owl-review
I absolutely adored her novel, Dog Days, which had a "Freaky Friday" theme as the dog and owner switch bodies. So I had high hopes for this novel but it fell sort of my expectations. The hero and heroine don't meet each other until page 83 and their romance isn't developed much on the pages. Readers get inside the head of the dog, which is the highlight of the story but the dog doesn't switch bodies with anyone so his role is disconnected from what is happening to everyone around him. Elsa's wri ...more
Jill
Aug 07, 2013 Jill rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
A woman falls in love with a show she is trying to discredit.

The edition I had needs some minor editorial work, but otherwise the story is smoothly written. The plot was engaging enough to have me thinking about it when I wasn't reading and the characters are developed through events (showing) rather than narrative (telling). The plot sticks to relevant points; side stories do not intrude. While some events are inevitable, given the plot, the details are unique to this particular story.

This book
Laurie D'ghent
Apr 26, 2015 Laurie D'ghent rated it really liked it
Nice, charming fluff. Believable characters, no sex, some language
Elizabeth
Sep 15, 2013 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
**Goodreads First Reads**

I love dogs and so I love dog books. In "The Love Dog" the story is told from the perspective of Sam and Apollo (the dog). That just didn't work for me with this book. I've enjoyed other books in the same fashion, just not this one. I often found myself skimming through the Apollo chapters having no real interest in it. I enjoyed the overall story, a sometimes predictable but with a few bumps along the road romance, and I got what I expected to get from it.
Kaila
Dec 14, 2015 Kaila rated it liked it
It was super cute and I really thought the reading from the dogs perspective was just too adorable. I think the main character was interesting. She seemed to lack depth in some places. Also, the romance seemed a little rushed too.It felt like it was being squeezed in last second. I would have really liked to have seen the main love interest have a chapter and express why he cared for the main character so much.
B.E.
Mar 02, 2013 B.E. rated it really liked it
This isn't my usual read - which is exactly why I snatched it up at the grocery store. It sounded cute and light, and I needed a little cute and light. At first it was a little hard to get into the idea of a dog's POV for some of the scenes, but once I fell into the rhythm, this was a really enjoyable book. Not a deep read by any stretch of the imagination, but like I said, it was just what I needed.
Sharon
Aug 31, 2013 Sharon rated it really liked it
I am usually not a HUGE fan of romances, but do read some. I really enjoyed this one, and if I had to describe it in a few words, I would say "sweet" and "cute". Although I DID enjoy the "human" parts of the book, I think my favorite parts were the ones from Apollo's point of view. I love books with dogs in them, and if you do too, you'll probably love Apollo and The Love Dog!
Shelly Broussard
What makes this somewhat typical, sweet romance special is that half of it is seen from the point of view of the sensitive, sweet Golden Retriever, Apollo. His narration is funny, heart-warming, and unique setting The Love Dog apart from most sweet romances.
Marcy Graybill
Mar 18, 2013 Marcy Graybill rated it it was ok
Her previous book was kind of in the Paranormal genre, I suppose this one is similar. I really didn't care for the fact so much of it was from the dogs perspective. What is it about authors thinking they need to write as a dog? Most really misses the mark.
Kate Breslin
Aug 09, 2012 Kate Breslin rated it it was amazing
Endearing, hilarious, poignant--what more could a reader ask for? Watson's keen ability to "think like a dog" had me laughing out loud and nodding my head all the way through the book. Put it on your must-read list for this summer!
Nick
Aug 18, 2013 Nick rated it liked it
This is probably not something I would have normally picked. However Dog Days was one of my favorites so I had to give it a shot. I liked it more than I thought I would. It was a cute story but I definitely preferred Dog Days!
Jeannie Lopez
Mar 13, 2013 Jeannie Lopez rated it it was amazing
This is a very heart pulling book .
The dogs view , made me think of my own dog and how he feels about things..
Very good story on LOVE
PWRL
Oct 25, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
O
Hunter
Hunter marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Hardworking Librarian
Hardworking Librarian marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Donielle Wingo
Donielle Wingo marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Toni N
Toni N is currently reading it
Jan 09, 2016
Janet
Janet rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Mimi
Mimi marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015
  • Déjà Date (Better Date than Never #9)
  • Absolutely True Lies
  • 84 Ribbons (A Dancer's Journey #1)
  • Letter from Paris
  • Untamed: Riding West & Lawless (Untamed #1 & 2)
  • The Night Remembers
  • The New Kid (World of the Lupi, #0.1)
  • Robin #1
  • Sweet Nothings
  • Enchanting Lily
  • Slimy Underbelly
  • Beloved Dog
  • The Other Side of Summer (Gilmore Girls, #4)
  • Emily's Reasons Why Not
Pacific Northwest native Elsa Watson has always loved animals. After raising chickens and inoculating goats in the Peace Corps in West Africa, she and her husband moved to an island near Seattle where they've filled their lives with two cats and more chickens.

Elsa is the author of THE LOVE DOG, the story of a dog named Apollo who works in reality TV and the woman who tries to bring down his show.
More about Elsa Watson...