Start by marking “Shadows & Lies” as Want to Read:
Shadows & Lies

Shadows & Lies

3.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  82 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Following the huge success of The Shape of Sand, shortlisted for the CWA Historical Dagger award, comes this dramatic story of love, war, and intrigue.

It is the year 1910 and the bloodstained body of an unknown woman is found on the grounds of Sir Henry Chetwynd's Shropshire estate. A reluctant heir to the estate, Sebastian Chetwynd is already battling with divided loyalti
Published August 7th 2007 by Minotaur Books (first published July 24th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Shadows & Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows & Lies

Ram Kaushik
Aug 29, 2013 Ram Kaushik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An author to savor. The prose is leisurely and beautifully crafted and the character development is superb. The story moves between South Africa during the Boer war and England before converging. Ms. Eccles paints a vivid picture of a bygone era in colonial Empire. Impatient readers in a hurry for the story to "move" might want to skip this one because the author lovingly sets atmosphere. I really enjoyed this one and look forward to more!
JackieB
May 18, 2011 JackieB rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I got about one-third of the way through this and gave up. I just wasn't interested in what happened. The book started with a woman who had lost her memory of the previous 10 years of her life because of a head injury. She was writing a journal of the memories she did have to see if that would bring back the missing memories. All very intruiging, but the author had explained all of that pretty much the way I've just written it down. There was no attempt to bring this information out through conv ...more
Mo
Summer is an extraordinarily busy time for me, particularly the month of July. It took me 2 weeks to read this book, through no fault of the novel. I enjoyed it, but did not feel a huge sense of urgency to get back to it. I suppose I could have MADE the time if I had really wanted to, but found myself doing higher priority things.

The story was good, but not great. I felt the book got bogged down at times with too many details of the Boer War. Plus, the ending felt a bit rushed to me.

However, I d
Carol Brown
Feb 15, 2014 Carol Brown rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book could have easily have been about half its size. The author strayed badly from the mystery and wrote page after page of historical events which were interesting, but definitely detracted from the mystery story. Eccles does this frequently and I find it hard to read some of her stories because she bounces back and forth between the background of the characters and the mystery part of the story. I'm a big fan of including historical events in stories but not to the detriment of the main ...more
Dora Okeyo
Oh, how I wished this book's font was not so small, for there's a story that starts with a case of amnesia and then I was plunged into history which starts well and then goes wrong and I lost focus in the middle, by the time I came to the end, I considered drowning to have the same effect.

Drowning aside, I'd say, it's a story.
Roshni
Nov 19, 2015 Roshni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty well written and kept the reader's attention. The POV switches between South Africa and England as well as the past and present, which makes the book more interesting with lots of tidbits about the Boer war. The ending was pretty unexpected as well.
Linda
May 14, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that followed Eccles The Shape of Sand which I also enjoyed. They are both stand alone mysteries. Narrated in part by a woman trying to regain her past and her memory through writing a journal, and an active murder investigation prompted by an unknown foreign woman's body on the grounds of an old prominent family's estate. Historical fiction switching between the present 1910 England during those pesky women's rights protests and the past 1890's Boer War in South Africa -Momentu ...more
Ashleigh Be
Apr 12, 2016 Ashleigh Be rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book a shot, even after reading the reviews! Personally, I really enjoyed the writing style. Some parts were a little fast for my liking but the way the book was written really related me. On that note, I understand why it might not for everyone, especially if you aren't a big fan of proper old English expression and mannerism. I would recommend it, but not so much for the crime thriller but the way the author combines the two story lines and then brings them together.
Lin
Feb 16, 2015 Lin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Abandoned
Natalie
Oct 04, 2008 Natalie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The charcters in this book were excellent and well written. I loved the time period and history this book provided, however, figuring out who the killer was was not hard and the ending was lackluster at best. I expected more after the extensive details the author provided! I wish there were half star points because I would have given this about 2.5 stars.
Bee
I enjoyed this but not nearly as much as THE SHAPE OF SAND. Marjorie Eccles is a fantastic writer and while I appreciate this quality over just an exhilirating page-turner any day, this book was a tad slow for me. I also felt the ending was not twisty enough and kind of hurried.
Pat
Dec 01, 2007 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
This isn't a standard Gil Mayo series mystery. It's very skillfully done though you do begin to guess some of the truth earlier than you're probably expected to. However, it's a well-told story and it keeps its grip all of the way through.
Gina
Mar 06, 2008 Gina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provided me with some background of the Boer War and the seige of Mafaking. The setting for the story is England and South Africa. Overall an engrossing mystery with interesting characters.
Melanie
A fun bedtime read of the quiet historical mystery type. I would have enjoyed it more, perhaps, if the editing had been better. The amount of errors was very distracting.
Susan
Jul 17, 2013 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ponderous. If the author had done research it could have been a great historical novel. The mystery was weak and overall everything felt superficial.
Cynthia
Dec 12, 2008 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story with interesting characters, but more of a history that unravels than a true murder mystery.
Sherri Siegfriedt
Don't bother reading!
Mrary Romano
Mrary Romano marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
LJbookgirl
LJbookgirl marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Doreen
Doreen added it
Jul 11, 2016
Mbalenhle Kim
Mbalenhle Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2016
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Rae
Rae rated it liked it
May 02, 2016
Crissy
Crissy rated it it was ok
Apr 16, 2016
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Dwheeler11
Dwheeler11 rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Cierra
Cierra marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Sidney Murray
Sidney Murray marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Aka Judith Bordill, Jennifer Hyde

Marjorie Eccles has written several romantic and crime novels, which have been published both in the UK and in the US. Many of her book shave been translated and serialised around the world. She has one grown up son and now lives in Hertfordshire
More about Marjorie Eccles...