Start by marking “Shadows & Lies” as Want to Read:
Shadows & Lies

Shadows & Lies

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Following the huge success of The Shape of Sand, shortlisted for the CWA Historical Dagger award, comes this dramatic story of love, war, and intrigue.

It is the year 1910 and the bloodstained body of an unknown woman is found on the grounds of Sir Henry Chetwynd's Shropshire estate. A reluctant heir to the estate, Sebastian Chetwynd is already battling with divided loyalti
Published August 7th 2007 by Minotaur Books (first published July 24th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Shadows & Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows & Lies

JackieB
I got about one-third of the way through this and gave up. I just wasn't interested in what happened. The book started with a woman who had lost her memory of the previous 10 years of her life because of a head injury. She was writing a journal of the memories she did have to see if that would bring back the missing memories. All very intruiging, but the author had explained all of that pretty much the way I've just written it down. There was no attempt to bring this information out through conv ...more
Mo
Summer is an extraordinarily busy time for me, particularly the month of July. It took me 2 weeks to read this book, through no fault of the novel. I enjoyed it, but did not feel a huge sense of urgency to get back to it. I suppose I could have MADE the time if I had really wanted to, but found myself doing higher priority things.

The story was good, but not great. I felt the book got bogged down at times with too many details of the Boer War. Plus, the ending felt a bit rushed to me.

However, I d
Carol Brown
This book could have easily have been about half its size. The author strayed badly from the mystery and wrote page after page of historical events which were interesting, but definitely detracted from the mystery story. Eccles does this frequently and I find it hard to read some of her stories because she bounces back and forth between the background of the characters and the mystery part of the story. I'm a big fan of including historical events in stories but not to the detriment of the main ...more
Ram Kaushik
An author to savor. The prose is leisurely and beautifully crafted and the character development is superb. The story moves between South Africa during the Boer war and England before converging. Ms. Eccles paints a vivid picture of a bygone era in colonial Empire. Impatient readers in a hurry for the story to "move" might want to skip this one because the author lovingly sets atmosphere. I really enjoyed this one and look forward to more!
Natalie
The charcters in this book were excellent and well written. I loved the time period and history this book provided, however, figuring out who the killer was was not hard and the ending was lackluster at best. I expected more after the extensive details the author provided! I wish there were half star points because I would have given this about 2.5 stars.
Bee
I enjoyed this but not nearly as much as THE SHAPE OF SAND. Marjorie Eccles is a fantastic writer and while I appreciate this quality over just an exhilirating page-turner any day, this book was a tad slow for me. I also felt the ending was not twisty enough and kind of hurried.
Pat
Dec 01, 2007 Pat rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
This isn't a standard Gil Mayo series mystery. It's very skillfully done though you do begin to guess some of the truth earlier than you're probably expected to. However, it's a well-told story and it keeps its grip all of the way through.
Gina
This book provided me with some background of the Boer War and the seige of Mafaking. The setting for the story is England and South Africa. Overall an engrossing mystery with interesting characters.
Melanie
A fun bedtime read of the quiet historical mystery type. I would have enjoyed it more, perhaps, if the editing had been better. The amount of errors was very distracting.
Susan
Ponderous. If the author had done research it could have been a great historical novel. The mystery was weak and overall everything felt superficial.
Cynthia
A good story with interesting characters, but more of a history that unravels than a true murder mystery.
Karen
Karen is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2015
Shira
Shira marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Khalid Mahrouqi
Khalid Mahrouqi marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Priscilla Matos
Priscilla Matos marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Paisley
Paisley marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Aka Judith Bordill, Jennifer Hyde

Marjorie Eccles has written several romantic and crime novels, which have been published both in the UK and in the US. Many of her book shave been translated and serialised around the world. She has one grown up son and now lives in Hertfordshire
More about Marjorie Eccles...
Broken Music The Shape Of Sand After Clare The Cuckoo's Child Last Nocturne