Start by marking “Summer of Pearls” as Want to Read:
Summer of Pearls

Summer of Pearls

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Ben Crowell remembers the Great Caddo Lake Pearl Rush of 1874. He was fourteen that year, and his home, the riverboat community of Port Caddo, was dying. By the end of the summer, the pearl boom was over, Port Caddo was doomed, and the mystery over who killed Judd Kelso began. It took Ben forty years to solve the mystery, and once he did, the proof came only for him to wit ...more
Published November 25th 2008 by Forge Books (first published September 2nd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Summer of Pearls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer of Pearls

Lisa Nelms

I found this book in the dollar store and bought it because the author is from Marble Falls. I took it to the beach because it was the perfect size to read over the weekend. I knew nothing about it. I was so surprised! It was such a good read. I could hardly put it down. It had the right among of history, a murder mystery and a love story. It was well told by a true Texan. It reminded me of a Larry McMurtry novel. I will be looking for other books by this author. He is such a good storyteller!
Caryn
Wonderful tale of the deep bayou south after the civil war, without pandering to the obvious topic of Reconstruction. The characters are colorful and believable, and I would like to read more about the story of Carol Ann and Billy Treat. Where did they go when they left Caddo Lake?
Linda
"Friendships that will resume in the afterlife." "It was that summer that I learned life would not always be simple, or fun, or easy. Neither would it always be complicated, or painful, or hard."

Good book.
Debra
Ben Crowell, now in his eighties, reflects back on his youth and to the 1874 Pearl Rush in the tiny Texas town where he lived.
Georgie K
Interesting book. I don't know why Pearl/Carol Anne is so intriguing. Then again, I'm not a boy.
Glenda Obanion
Glenda Obanion marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Glenda Obanion
Glenda Obanion marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Shay Shay
Shay Shay marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Cathy
Cathy added it
Oct 24, 2014
Kathleen Morris
Kathleen Morris marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Ashley Edlin
Ashley Edlin is currently reading it
May 11, 2014
Mark Haines
Mark Haines marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Silvia
Silvia added it
Jul 27, 2013
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2013
Bethany Heintz
Bethany Heintz marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2013
Ty Roper
Ty Roper marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Comanche Dawn: A Novel Moon Medicine Shortgrass Song Come Sundown Too Long at the Dance: The sequel to 'Shortgrass Song'