Start by marking “Bone Hunter” as Want to Read:
Bone Hunter

Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery #5)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  292 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Time and again, Emily-- Em-- Hansen uses her geological training and her unflinching scientist's eye to sniff out a killer. Now in her newest case, Em heads to Utah for a paleontology conference and ends up embroiled in murder when her host, a notorious dinosaur expert, ends up dead, stabbed with a dinosaur bone. The high-stakes world of dinosaur study and research, couple ...more
Published September 15th 2000 by Minotaur Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Bone Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bone Hunter

Ashland Mystery Oregon
Bone Hunter is Sarah Andrews' fifth Em Hansen mystery, and my first. Em Hansen is a wonderful character: as a scientist, she's bright and rational; as a person, she's empathetic and emotional. Raised on a Wyoming ranch and now working as a Colorado oil geologist, the protag has lots of experience and opportunities to get caught up in mystery and mayhem.

This book grew out of the 1997 meeting of the Geological Society of America, held that year in Salt Lake City and (after a dead body), Bone Hunte
Kristi
I really like and feel more connected to Em with each book in this series. She is snarky and witty and I frequently am amused by her observations. There were several descriptions in this book that made me chuckle, but were equally effective at drawing an image. I am certainly looking forward to reading the next book in this series.
Kirsten
Much better than the last Em Hansen book I read! A nice, intriguing mystery with the expected geological tour of a new setting. Sure, Sarah Andrews gets preachy, but she has great things to say. Her characters may be a little smarter than you'd want to give them credit for, but those intelligent conversations are pretty damned beautiful. Are there blah points? Of course. Em's hormones point her in some pretty stupid directions (but when it comes to that, I'm also a guilty party, so...), and ther ...more
Lisa
I love Em Hanson. I see myself in her. Wish I were.
Pammy
A mystery featuring dinosaur fossil thieves, creationism, Mormons, and murder.... What's there not to like?!
And, strangely, I found a marvelously insightful paragraph, instructing a technique for relaxation and stress release.... based on contemplation of our insignificance within the universe!
R.
I love books written by authors that have "lived the life" they highlight in their fiction. Sarah Andrews is a geologist and her knowledge of her science and related sciences give more body to this mystery. My favorite is still Nevada Barr, but I will look for more of Andrews.
Crissie
Great travel book, especially when the flight across the Rockies turned out rather bumpy - took my mind off the size of the small plane flying me from Montrose to Denver as the book took me through Utah (culture, religion, land). Thanks, Wendell!
Nancy H
This is a really good mystery involving Salt Lake City, geologists and paleontologists, Mormons, and of course, murder. There are also some good musings on religion and life philosophy in it as well. It is an engrossing read.
Jack
Interesting murder mystery. Try finding another book with characters ranging from devout Mormons of Utah to vertebrate paleontologists!!
J
So far, so good. Needs editing, but fun. Actually, it got better as it went on and became an interesting treatise on creationism.
Sunni
Notice that I'm getting all the mysteries out of my system while I'm on hiatus from bookgroup? This one was incredibly mediocre.
Karenrice Rice
It's my kind of mystery, offbeat, sneaks up on you and keeps you turning pages when you really want to go to sleep!
Jess
The book started off really good with some funny parts. However the romance was overplayed.
Julie
HAve read all the Em Hansen series - I find them very informative and interesting.
Kari Wainwright
Way too much boring detail that didn't seem relevant. Character conflict contrived.
Hilary
Not a bad read, I could pick up and put down, but interesting enough to keep going.
Carrie
It was interesting having a geologist investigating a murder in a Mormon community.
Kimberlyn
features forensic geologist Em Hansen; a very interesting series
Sally
bought this at a library sale, have not quite finished it yet
Ayelet
Good story - the plot also moved faster than most of her books.
Laurel
Fun archaeological mystery with a Mormon twist.
Louise
Had some language I didn't appreciate.
Eunira
5th in the series
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Jvtr13
Jvtr13 marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Lynda Opocensky
Lynda Opocensky marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
  • The Night Visitor (Charlie Moon, #5)
  • Old Scores (The Chris Norgren Mysteries, #3)
  • The Chinese Alchemist (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #11)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (A Shannon Delaney Paranormal Mystery #1)
  • Click Here For Murder (Turing Hopper, #2)
Sarah Andrews is a geologist who writes mystery novels about a geologist.

She currently lives in northern California and invests her free time on community pursuits and flying, skiing, and sailing with her husband and son.

More about Sarah Andrews...
Tensleep (Em Hansen Mystery, #1) Fault Line (Em Hansen Mystery, #7) A Fall in Denver (Em Hansen Mystery, #2) In Cold Pursuit: A Mystery From The  Last Continent (Valena Walker, #1) Only Flesh and Bones (Em Hansen Mystery, #4)

“I forced myself to let my belly relax into a deeper breath. I closed my eyes and felt the solidity of the pavement beneath my feet and the rock beneath that, felt the density of the earth hugging me to it, felt it spinning on its axis, felt it hurtling through space in its trip around the sun, felt th solar system whirling through space as part of our galaxy, felt the flight of galaxies escaping from the site of that primal explosion we call the big bang. Always in times of stress, if I contemplated the vastness of the universe, I did in some measure relax, comforted by the knowledge that I was but a small speck in creation after all, a mote in the enormity of God's eye, a fleeting arrangement of atoms that would in due time cycle back into the earth from which I had come and be reshuffled into something else, blended back into the grace of the natural world. In my very insignificance did I find my immortality. pp 113-114” 3 likes