Start by marking “Necroscope: The Lost Years” as Want to Read:
Necroscope: The Lost Years

Necroscope: The Lost Years (Necroscope #9)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  1,762 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Vampires never rest, and neither does Harry Keogh, the world's greatest vampire hunter, the Necroscope, the man who can talk to the dead. Right now, he's desperately searching for his wife and son, who disappeared in the midst of Harry's war against the undead monsters that plague mankind. Others will to carry on that fight until the Necroscope has been reunited with his b ...more
Published July 15th 1996 by Tor Books (first published October 5th 1995)

Donovan
Feb 05, 2012 Donovan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The Necroscope Lost Years series fills in some of the gaps over 2 books. Simply titled Necroscope: The Losy Years (I & II). Not much of a read and a bit boring for my liking. I bought them purely for the collection. You wont miss anything important if you don't read them.

Plot ***Spoilers***
Book I
Between Wamphyri! and The Source, earlier novels in Brian Lumley's internationally best-selling series of the millenia-long struggle of humanity against the most horrific plague of vampires ever spaw
Andy Strutt
Dec 28, 2013 Andy Strutt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Necroscope Series by Brian Lumley
Review by Andy Strutt author of “The Afflicted”

I first discovered this series by receiving “Necroscope III : The Source” as a Christmas present. I had never heard of Brian Lumley but I was instantly infatuated with his work as soon as I had read the first few pages. Obviously, the first thing I did was go out and find the rest of the Necroscope series.
Harry Keogh is a very strange character with morbid supernatural powers that allow him to speak to the dead. That
Julian
Oct 23, 2014 Julian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hidden within this long tome is a brilliant novel. Greatly enjoyed this one, but a 1/3 of the manuscript should have been trimmed. I've never read a novel where the characters spent so much time sitting around thinking! Lots of thinking in this novel, and less actual doing.

That aside, I loved the book. I've read this book just after reading book 3 (The Source). I'm blown away by the history and new vampire characters Lumley has introduced into the story. He almost has an unlimited number of book
S.J.A. Turney
May 01, 2012 S.J.A. Turney rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Having been a fan of the original 5 book Necroscope series, I was truly disappointed with this. It felt like a cash-in. Basically padding that could easily have been parts of the original series that were left on the cutting room floor.

I'd recommend against buying this, and direct you to the Vampire World series instead if you've reached the end of the original 5 Necroscope books and are looking for somewhere to go next.
Becky
Jul 12, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent read that fills in the time period between books two and three of the original Necroscope series and ties up a few loose ends. I gave it a high rating because I always find Brian Lumley enjoyable, however this doesn't quite have the oomph of previous volumes and definitely feels like it's going over old ground. Worth a look if you read and loved the Necroscope and Vampire World series but I'd say this one is probably for fans only.
Charity
Jun 06, 2013 Charity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a lot of information in this book that was needed before reading the Source. The Lost Years Volume I explained why Harry was looking for Brenda and the baby. The Lost Years Volume I also had another story going within itself. I keep having to take a break from the Necroscope series because while the books are very enjoyable there is an awful lot going on at once.
Stephen
I picked this one up as kind of a goodbye to the horror/ColdWar novels I read in my misspent youth. And of course it was by Brian Lumley, so that meant it was good enough to make me want to rekindle my connection to this series. But then I had to ask myself if I really wanted to read the whole 20 or so books in this series, and I had to decline and read something else.
Lynn Orser
Sep 04, 2013 Lynn Orser rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I love Brian Lumley's books but this one nearly drove me mad. too much rehashing of past books and very slow to get to the real story. then I find out after struggling to read the Lost Years the it is volume 1 and the story continues in volume 2. God grief!
Gilliam
Feb 10, 2013 Gilliam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I don't know what would be worse: living in thrall to one of Lumley's Wamphryi Lords or being trapped in a white padded cell with nothing but reams of the author's excruciating expository filler as one's only escape from looming madness.

The Lost Years, Volume 1 is a bore.
Coy
May 01, 2007 Coy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Necroscope series readers
I found this book at a Barnes and Noble, a place I despise, when I was trying to kill some time between job interviews in DC. The book filled the void of not reading about Harry Keogh for YEARS! The book itself is quite interesting and leaves you hanging hardcore. No choice but to buy Volume II.
Mark
Jul 03, 2015 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed, probably one of the better Necroscope novels.
Stacy Croushorn
Jun 17, 2016 Stacy Croushorn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Really like the addition of the werewolf.
Dollie
Feb 01, 2015 Dollie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This book and the next cover the years of when Harry was looking for Brenda and Baby Harry. I liked reading about Harry's character again.
Marcus
May 26, 2015 Marcus rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting addition to the series but I agree with previous reviews that it lacks some cohesion and does tend to drag a bit compared to previous books. Still enjoyable for fans of the series.
Daniel
Nov 09, 2014 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by, Lumley. So far every book in the series has gotten better! Worth checking out if you haven't yet.
Steve Mccarthy
Steve Mccarthy rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2012
Paul Fletcher
Paul Fletcher rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2012
Dan
Dan rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2012
Jack
Jack rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2013
Darlene
Darlene rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2013
David Jackson
David Jackson rated it really liked it
May 10, 2011
Candice
Candice rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2012
Renee
Renee rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2008
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2013
James
James rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2011
Kaye620
Kaye620 rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2011
Laura rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2008
Antone Popp
Antone Popp rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2012
  • Dominion (Dracula Series, #5)
  • Vampire Apocalypse: A World Torn Asunder
  • In the Blood (Sonja Blue, #2)
  • Incarnations: Three Plays by Clive Barker
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampires
  • Lori
  • Reanimators
  • The People's Will (The Danilov Quintet, #4)
  • Kiss of the Vampire (Creed, #1)
  • Secret Vengeance (Young Repairman Jack, #3)
  • Of Masques and Martyrs (Shadow Saga #3)
  • The Book of Common Dread (Vincent DeVilbiss, #1)
  • Night Plague (Night Warriors, #3)
  • The Last Vampire
  • Vampyrrhic
  • Slave of My Thirst (aka  Supping With Panthers)
  • Midnight Sun
  • Disciples of Cthulhu
20602
Brian Lumley was born near Newcastle. In 22 years as a Military Policeman he served in many of the Cold War hotspots, including Berlin, as well as Cyprus in partition days. He reached the rank of Sergeant-Major before retiring to Devon to write full-time, and his work was first published in 1970. The vampire series, 'Necroscope', has been translated into ten languages and sold over a million copie ...more
More about Brian Lumley...

Necroscope (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Necroscope (Necroscope, #1)
  • Vamphyri! (Necroscope, #2)
  • The Source (Necroscope, #3)
  • Necroscope IV: Deadspeak (Necroscope, #4)
  • Necroscope V: Deadspawn (Necroscope, #5)
  • Vampire World I: Blood Brothers (Necroscope, #6)
  • The Last Aerie (Nekroscope, #7)
  • Vampire World III: Bloodwars (Necroscope, #8)
  • Necroscope: Resurgence, The Lost Years Volume II (Necroscope, #10)
  • Necroscope: Invaders (Necroscope, #11)