Start by marking “Necroscope V: Deadspawn” as Want to Read:
Necroscope V: Deadspawn

Necroscope V: Deadspawn (Necroscope #5)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  3,496 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Brian Lumley's Necroscope novels are one of the horror genre's most towering achievements. The adventures of the Necroscopes, Harry Keogh and his successor, Jake Cutter, and the psychically gifted agents of E-Branch, Britain's super-secret spy organization, as they battle malevolent, shape-shifting Wamphyri have spanned two worlds, thirteen novels, and an infinity of time. ...more
Published December 1st 2003 by Tor Books (first published August 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Necroscope V, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Necroscope V

Andy Strutt
Dec 30, 2013 Andy Strutt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Necroscope Series by Brian Lumley
Review by Andy Strutt author of “The Afflicted”

I first discovered this series by receiving “Necroscope III : The Source” as a Christmas present. I had never heard of Brian Lumley but I was instantly infatuated with his work as soon as I had read the first few pages. Obviously, the first thing I did was go out and find the rest of the Necroscope series.
Harry Keogh is a very strange character with morbid supernatural powers that allow him to speak to the dead. That
Dollie
Sep 10, 2014 Dollie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I am whipping through this Necroscope books. I just can't stop reading them. I can't write a review here, because to do so would involve spoilers, so I'll just say I love Harry and love these books. It amazes me that I would love books that involve great mathematicians. LOL
Khanada
Feb 08, 2012 Khanada rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Necroscope series is one of my favorite series of all time. This particular book ranks as a favorite of that series! It's brilliantly dark, deep, moving, and thoroughly enjoyable.
Bill
May 28, 2008 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All horror/sci-fi fans
Shelves: horror, favorites
JP
Dec 29, 2015 JP rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I'm done with the Necroscope series, at least for the time being. And hey, technically this is the end of the first Necroscope series.

On the negative side:

This feels like 2 or 3 novels shoved together. There's the parts on Earth where Harry tracks down a serial killer. Then there are the Wamphyri in exile in the Icelands and what they find there. Then finally, there's Harry in the Vampire world and the final showdown. It all more or less comes together at the end, but switching back an
Jerry Kimbro
I really do love Brian Lumley- not the least reason is that he was a small part of the Lovecraft circle and appeared in the now classic (and out of print)Ballantine book edition of Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos.

So I have been reading his horror fiction for decades. I love his Necroscope series. But they are hard to find and I have had to read them out of order! So i was excited to find a hard cover editon of Deadspawn for only $4 at a local goodwill bookstore.

This story continues the strange s
Jak
Apr 15, 2015 Jak rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slobodan
Oct 07, 2012 Slobodan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Harry Keogh has been waging war on vampires most of his adult life. A guardian on Earth from an evil which originated from a far, distant world, where the blood is the life.

In Deadspawn, Brian Lumley has damned his character with the curse of that which he has so long battled against. Harry Keogh is infected. Hunting down a madman necromancer, and shunned now by the teeming dead that once loved him, former colleagues that fear what he might become when he ascends to a full fledged vampire, Harry
Jason Gusman
Aug 11, 2011 Jason Gusman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the last book, Harry had a vampire seed planted in him when he visited Faethor Ferenczy's grave. E-Branch suspects that something awful is happening to Harry, but calls him in anyway to help find serial killer Johnny Found, whose methods tend to be more indicative of a wamphyyri than a person. Harry uses Janos' (from the end of the last book) methods of raising the dead to bring back one of Johnny's victims named Penny. After dealing with Johnny, E-Branch steers Harry and Penny out of town. T ...more
Thompson
Dec 07, 2015 Thompson rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Strange book. Book was more like a compilation of three novellas. The protagonist, Harry, has godlike powers of being able to travel instantly anywhere. He can also travel in such a way that he can see shadows of the future. Oh, just to reinforce the Christ images (later he is crucified at the new Golgatha by S(h)aitin's scion) Harry can resurrect the dead.
Despite Harry's powers he has a problem. He was infected by vampirism. Harry struggles with the ascending vampire while trying to find and s
Michael Daniel
Very good series! Imagine any knowledge that you needed at the ready for your asking. Enter Harry. Very well designed story, with a main character that is easily identified with, Harry Koegh. The imagination that came up with these characters must have experienced some truly awful things. Lumley, being an ex SAS officer, surely did.

The vampires in this series are not nice. They are not warm and fuzzy. They're not cute (well, the women can be) and they know one primal rule: Anything to remain al
Lisa Cleveland
Aug 15, 2015 Lisa Cleveland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, the time has finally come to bid a fond farewell to one of my favorite characters of all time, Harry Keogh. Human, innocent?, necroscope, tighter of wrongs, and finally Wamphyri! Sad to say goodbye, but those death "life" darts of his will get around. I enjoyed everything about this book, and I thought it had one of the best endings ever. I am however happy to be moving on to Lumleys next three books "The Blood Brothers trilogy". Harry's sons Nathan and Lester were always my favorites, and N ...more
KK
Jan 11, 2015 KK rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-misc
Harry Keogh, vampires, Necro-evil, Darcey Clarke, E-branch, the Perchorsk Projekt, Starside and Sunside... Deadspawn has all the horrific aspects of the Necroscope series and more.
It's just an awesome addition to the series. I loved the Crime style element with a Necrotwist, Harry's battle to REMAIN Harry, all the shifts and turns, and the 'ending' was out of this world.
I've wanted to read these books in order for 20 years but they have been extremely hard to find, so I was very pleased to disco
Jim Spencer
Dec 19, 2015 Jim Spencer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another brilliant book in the saga. This is especially good as it is the last one with Harry as the main character. He does make odd appearances after this one (in some way or another) but here we get to see his true fall into... essentially craziness. you get all the expected tropes by this point and there is a certain kinetic energy to this one and the ending is quite a revelation (I won't spoil it). This ends the Necroscope sage and after this we go into the Spin off's, which I'll go into lat ...more
S.J.A. Turney
May 01, 2012 S.J.A. Turney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fitting crescendo for the series, this book ends what I consider to be the classic series of Necroscope books. It is filled with wonder, pathos, wickedness and twists that play on everything we've learned from the previous four.

The book should make you sad and thrilled in equal measures as it draws to a close.

Cannot give too detailed a reviews without spoiling things, but simply, if you enjoyed the original Necroscope book, read at least to this book and your time has been very well spent.
Daniel
Dec 24, 2013 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again, Lumley has a beautifully written novel, that is unlike any vampire novel. This is a great book; combining elements, of Judeo-Christian aspects, with science-fiction, horror, and Lovecraftian weirdness. Even the vampire on vampire, sex is so bizarre, that it doesn't titilate the reader at all. Which makes sense, since Aliens, shouldn't be anthropomorphised. The books have just been getting better with each nove.
Taft Babbitt
Apr 26, 2008 Taft Babbitt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So my buddy in college came to me with the first book in this series demanding that I read it. I told him I wasn't into Vampires. He insisted, demanded! So I read it and it with it's following books was one of the great adventures I have been on while reading. I loved these books. You learn so much about Vampires and their history (according to the author of course :) and the hero feels like a good friend.
Stacy Croushorn
Apr 03, 2016 Stacy Croushorn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good book. The part about the Ice lands seemed to drone on for a while, but it was necessary to set up the ending. Not sure if I liked the ending. And it never explained why Harry was so special. Yeah, it said his maternal line had special telepathic powers, but Harry's powers went way beyond that. However, this part of the series ended on a good note.
Jenn
Jul 13, 2013 Jenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Necroscope series is not your typical vampire novel series. I loved the political side to these books and the ideas were so original that they kept my reading one page after another. If you enjoy supernatural stories with a little bet 'more' than the average typical storyline you'll love these.
Kissu
Aug 31, 2016 Kissu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kenny Oswald
Jun 13, 2008 Kenny Oswald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 5th book in the series, this book is great! Easily comparable to the 1st and 3rd. These first five books complete the original story arc, and what a finale it is! If you liked the others, you are in for a shock and awe thrill! Beware - this is by far the most graphic yet...
Charity
The serial killings are explained in detail and the book is very gruesome. So far, the Necroscope series has been ended leaving very few questions to be answered, however, Deadspawn leaves many questions to be answered and there is a lot of confussion towards the end of the book.
Erinn
While I hated this whole series I almost liked this one. I think this an author that guys would like more than girls though. That might be one of the reasons that I didn't care for the author's writing.
Robert
Jun 29, 2010 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampire
This one was the completion of the Necroscope series. I remember I had to search to collect all of them before I was going to sit down and open the first one. A great series of books for vampire book fans.
Coy
May 01, 2007 Coy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi/Vampire Buffs
This book is the closest to the Source out of the rest of series and involves the Vampire World again which is awesome. The book sort of dragged on in portions but had a fantastic ending to what I thought was the end of the series. BUT NO! This guy decided to keep writing books about Keogh.
Matthew Allred
Aug 04, 2015 Matthew Allred rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Necroscope books are among the most enjoyable horror novels I've ever read. Along with #3, this book is the best in the original five-book series.
Adrian
Aug 27, 2014 Adrian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2014, vampires
Great book with a crazy ending. My copy did have a few typos like '9hould' instead of 'should', but they weren't really distracting.
Tom
Sep 13, 2007 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great ending to this "portion" of the series...or whatever it is.

The author brings finality to the Keogh saga but leaves it a little open for further books - which it appears there are.

Brad
Nov 10, 2010 Brad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Couldn't finish this one - not nearly as engaging as the first four. I think that having Harry Keough take a back seat was a mistake.
Scooter
Aug 11, 2011 Scooter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five books into a series and the tempo doesn't let up, Mr Lumley, you are a great writer... That is all...
  • In the Blood (Sonja Blue, #2)
  • Night Warriors (Night Warriors, #1)
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampires
  • At the Mountains of Madness (Omnibus 1)
  • Furnace
  • Vampire Apocalypse: A World Torn Asunder
  • The Last Vampire
  • Vampyrrhic
  • Thirteen Years Later (The Danilov Quintet,  #2)
  • Books of Blood, Volumes 4-6
  • Assassin
  • Dominion (Dracula Series, #5)
  • A Terrible Beauty
  • Like Death
  • Of Masques and Martyrs (Shadow Saga #3)
20602
Brian Lumley was born near Newcastle. In 22 years as a Military Policeman he served in many of the Cold War hotspots, including Berlin, as well as Cyprus in partition days. He reached the rank of Sergeant-Major before retiring to Devon to write full-time, and his work was first published in 1970. The vampire series, 'Necroscope', has been translated into ten languages and sold over a million copie ...more
More about Brian Lumley...

Necroscope (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Necroscope (Necroscope, #1)
  • Vamphyri! (Necroscope, #2)
  • The Source (Necroscope, #3)
  • Necroscope IV: Deadspeak (Necroscope, #4)
  • Vampire World I: Blood Brothers (Necroscope, #6)
  • The Last Aerie
  • Vampire World III: Bloodwars (Necroscope, #8)
  • Necroscope: The Lost Years Volume I (Necroscope, #9)
  • Necroscope: Resurgence, The Lost Years Volume II (Necroscope, #10)
  • Necroscope: Invaders (Necroscope, #11)