City of Saints: A Mystery

City of Saints: A Mystery

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  246 ratings  ·  59 reviews
To the outside observer, Salt Lake City might seem to be the squeaky-clean “City of Saints”—its nickname since Mormon pioneers first arrived. Its wide roads, huge Mormon temple topped by a horn-blowing angel, and orderly neighborhoods give it the appearance of the ideal American city, but looks can be deceiving.

When a beautiful socialite turns up dead, Art Oveson, a twenty...more
Published October 30th 2012 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about City of Saints, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City of Saints

Stephanie Jewett
If you're not Mormon and are hoping to read a "Mormon mystery" or get some info about the church, this is not the place to find it. The main character is LDS, as are several of the characters, but that just provides some background for the story.

If you are Mormon and are looking for a "Mormon mystery", this is also not the place to find it. This is not a feel-good story with characters that share your standards- even several of the ostensibly Mormon characters are corrupt or even evil. This is...more
Kim
Minor spoilers. Being a non-mormon born and bred Utahn, as well as 2nd generation law enforcement, I was really interested in this book. I'm sorry it didn't hold up to it's promise. It didn't help going into the story knowing this is still an unsolved cold case. I found the lead character, Deputy Oveson a weak spined coward. He's so scared of losing his job, he can't even find the guts to stand up to the Sheriff even after being awarded the reward money that will help see him thru. Even if you s...more
Alger
An undemanding read that has the bones of a good mystery novel, has the edge of being a kind of true crime novel, but Hunt completely lacks the chops of a good fiction writer when it comes to characterizations and dialogue. His primary characters are vague and defined mostly by quirks that they exhibit relentlessly, while the peripheral characters are empty suits that are easy to confuse and never really come to life.

The biggest smile of the novel came at the end where Hunt cited a pictorial loc...more
judy
Sorry but this book was just horrible. I forced myself to read to page 100 just to give it a chance. The green, sweet little Mormon sheriff seriously annoyed me. The author's attempt to add background for SLC and weave in some Mormon practices was spectacularly boring and ham-handed as well. The book was set in the 30s. That worked. At one point, for me, the dialog and the characters turned into a black and white movie from that era complete with jerky movements and squeaky voices. The author is...more
Noel
I really really wanted to like this, but the inaccuracies were just too overwhelming. You just can't go to Lagoon in February.
Anna
Mehhh. Creative crime storyline, but written as flat as a pancake. Skip.
Neil
This is the story of the murder of an adulterous socialite in 1930 Salt Lake City, based on a true case. Art Oveson of the Sheriff's Department investigates, but he's also caught up in departmental politics, Mormon vs. Nonmormon sectarianism, and family rivalries, all making his investigation more challenging.

Since I was born in Utah, lived in Salt Lake City for almost 10 years, have family history there, and am interested in history in general, I was quite looking forward to this novel. On the...more
Stewart
First off, I want to say that City of Saints was NOT was I expected it to be. I went into this book expecting a dark book filled with mystery and Mormon intrigue. Now don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the book, it just didn't fit my prior expectations.

City of Saints is a fictionalized version of a true unsolved murder that occurred in Salt Lake City in the 1930s. Andrew Hunt took a lot of liberty in telling the story so very little is true to fact other than time periods and a few rename...more
Linda Munro
Again, I found this book listed amongst the goodreads contests and while I didn't win this was one such book and thankfully it was carried by the library.

This is a detective story, set in 1930 Salt Lake City, Utah. While it is not a fast paced mystery, it is indeed a good, historical mystery, filled with the prejudice of the day; from religious to ethnic, offering a good look into this country’s past.

Based on the true murder of sociality Dorothy Dexter Moormeister who was found brutally murder...more
Susan
When beautiful socialite Helen Kent Pfalzgraf turns up dead, Salt Lake County Deputy Art Oveson—a twenty-something husband, dad, and devout Mormon just getting his start—finds himself thrust into the role of detective. With his partner, a foul-mouthed, vice-ridden former strikebreaker, he begins to pursue Pfalzgraf’s murderer—or murderers. Their search takes them into the dark underbelly of Salt Lake City, a place rife with blackmail, corruption and murder.

Throw in a cowardly sheriff seeking re...more
Don Elder
What a confusing approach to a pro-mormon point of view. The shock value of constant F-bombs, crude sexual references and all around hard-R rated contents was... shocking considering the under-lying education value by the author on "how mormons are really sweet and good people overall". Mr. Hunt must have received many reprimands from church authorities on his use of vulgar dialogue and plot themes. I applaud Mr. Hunt for breaking-thru the strict LDS manor system to actually tell a real-life, re...more
Elaine
At least one part of the book was anachronistic when a lady used foul language. I can't imagine a female during that time period even being familiar with such language, never mind using it.

There were parts in the 2nd half of the book that I liked. Other than that, it was so-so.
Julie
A good true crime / historical fiction novel but, it could have been better without the foul language peppered throughout especially the "F" word. I listened to this on audio and the readers voice was okay but he knows nothing of Utah and how to pronounce certain places.
Doug Calvert
Interested read. Keeps you guessing until it all get wrapped up tight, complete with confessions. But the ending left me feeling a bit disappointed somehow. Still, very fascinating historical context. Well thought-out and overall well executed.
Cat
Salt Lake City, February 1930. A beautiful socialite has been killed in a remote outlying area of SLC—someone ran over her repeatedly with an automobile. The investigating officer, Sheriff's Deputy Art Oveson, a father, husband, devout Mormon, and youngest son in a family of peace officers, insists on a complete investigation, along with his older partner, Roscoe. The sheriff, on the other hand, wants a quick solution so he can use it for his upcoming reelection campaign. When Art continues his...more
Sandy T
Although murder mysteries aren't typically my thing, I was curious to read this fictional account of an actual unsolved murder in Salt Lake City in the 1930's. I enjoyed at the beginning how Hunt set up the time and place, and enjoyed references to places I know, and surnames from prominent Utah families. But I felt the time and place got lost as the story went on and felt more modern, despite minor references to old cars and such. I found much of the story line extremely predicable at some time...more
Tara
The mystery aspect was intriguing. However, the main character came across as saccharine, hokey, and bland for the first half of the book. I guess the author was trying to bring out the point that he didn't drink, engage in other vices etc. That's fine, but it doesn't have to mean that the character is corny and uninteresting. About halfway through the book, the character was better developed and became easier to relate to. His skills as a detective became apparent, he stopped letting people pus...more
Dave
The book is set in northern Utah in 1930. The narrator is a Salt Lake County deputy sheriff, who has siblings in police departments from Ogden down the Wasatch Front to Provo. The mystery is sufficiently complex to keep most readers engaged. I enjoyed the historical aspect since my grandfather spent part of his childhood in Provo and was a young man during the time in which the story is set. I remember my grandfather telling me stories about his youth in Provo when I was young.

Politics, religio...more
Holly McIntyre
Not quite as good as I hoped it would be. The premise: rich woman brutally murdered and run over multiple times, who done it? The setting: Salt Lake City, 1930. Based on a true, unsolved murder. I had hopes that this would be both exciting and (I admit) a somewhat voyeuristic look at life in a Mormon community. It wasn't either. The Mormon aspect was hardly developed except as a contrast to the hard-drinking, hard-swearing non-Mormons. And the plot moved at a snail's pace, although to a somewhat...more
Becky
I would have given this book 4 stars but the crude and profane language is so distracting. I loved the story and especially the setting (since I live in Salt Lake City). It was suspenseful and a great story.

I listened to the audio book and the reader pronounced the following wrong:

Timponogos (he said tempo No gos - it is pronounced TimpANogUs)
handkerchief (he said hanDkerchief - I'm pretty sure the D is silent)
Manti (he said Monti - it is MAnti)
Joel Nunez
A very surprising tale of Mormon town in the time of broads and gunslingers. Never thought that the city of saints was actually sin city. It doesn't get more noir than this: a dead blond, miscues, an obsessed cop. The only downer to this book is its plodding style. The book does pick up towards the last 100 pages or so. Based on a true story, this is Salt Lake City's Black Dahlia.

I wouldn't be surprised if this book has been optioned for a movie.
Geoff
Fun isn't really the right word to describe a murder mystery, but reading this book - which is set in 1930s Salt Lake City - was fun. The author's knowledge of the local culture and use of '30s slang kept me entertained. Also, the story is based an actual unsolved murder case in Salt Lake.

WARNING: Even though the main character is Mormon, there is some pretty harsh language in this book, including several uses of the c-word.
Deborah
A police detective in 1930's Salt Lake City won't give up an investigation in to the death of a local socialite. The procedural isn't bad, though the outcomes are very predictable.

The time and place are interesting... as is the friction between the Mormon detective and his profane partner. The characters are a little flat - as is the description of religion and morals of the various players.
Dawn
A real-life unsolved murder case from 1930's Salt Lake City turned into a historical fiction book with a resolution.

This is a good story. I'm sure it could be turned into a wonderful movie where the 1930's period would really come to life though the set and the clothes, it was kind of lacking in the book itself. A bit on the simple side for my tastes but an agreeable read anyway.
Marvelle Morgan
I picked this up because it was on the current "readers choice" table at the library. It was an okay mystery. The main character was bland, spineless, and rather unlikable. The book makes you think people are basically corrupt/evil and that elected officials are more concerned with being re-elected than in doing the job they were elected to do in the first place.
Denise
Stories from this period (1920s/early 1930s) are usually not something that I am interested in but this one caught my attention. Overall a very good read - a compelling main character, and a great development of the relationship with his partner. His editor failed to catch a few too many "raised eyebrows in surprise" but I would definitely read more by this author.
Becky Roper
This is a fictionalized account of an unsolved murder that happened in Salt Lake in the 1930's. The historical setting and information were interesting, but I couldn't get past the stilted language and characters. It was like watching an old Mickey Rooney movie from the 50's. I keep hoping to find Mormon writers I enjoy reading but they are few and far between.
John Nichols
This book was recommended to me via a mass email from the local library. The story line certainly held my attention and I thought Andrew Hunt did a great job painting his main character. The book has the magic mix of fiction set in enough history to make it seem real. Worth a read. Be warned one of the supporting characters has a potty mouth, though.
Brian Lee
Bland is the best way to describe this from the writing style to the story. The book is set in 1930s Salt Lake. I live in 2013 Salt Lake. Hunt didn't transport me back in time whatsoever! Shame that. Cuz had he done just that I woulda given this 5 stars--and the writing/story would not have seemed so ho hum.
Suzanne
I liked the book. The depiction of Salt Lake City in the 30s was interesting and the intrigue and corruption was well handled. I think the author really researched the times and I liked the way he explained Mormon references to the general public. It is a quick read and a book you don't want to put down.
  • The 500 (Mike Ford, #1)
  • Hard Country (Kerney Family, #1)
  • Uncle John's Fully Loaded 25th Anniversary Bathroom Reader
  • The Icon Thief
  • Last Wool and Testament (A Haunted Yarn Shop Mystery, #1)
  • The Lemon Grove
  • The Devil's Dozen: How Cutting-Edge Forensics Took Down 12 Notorious Serial Killers
  • Infamous Scribblers: The Founding Fathers and the Rowdy Beginnings of American Journalism
  • The Rivers Run Dry
  • Desert Noir (A Lena Jones Mystery #1)
  • Paris to Die For
  • The Replacement Child (Gil Montoya Mystery #1)
  • Snow Mountain Passage
  • A Christmas Hope
  • A Light in the Wilderness (Out of Jerusalem, #2)
  • The Watchmaker's Daughter: A Memoir