Start by marking “Nuclear War and Environmental Catastrophe” as Want to Read:
Nuclear War and Environmental Catastrophe

Nuclear War and Environmental Catastrophe

“There are two problems for our species’ survival—nuclear war and environmental catastrophe, ” says Noam Chomsky in this new book on the two existential threats of our time and their points of intersection since World War II.

While a nuclear strike would require action, environmental catastrophe is partially defined by willful inaction in response to human-induced climate c
Published April 30th 2013 by Seven Stories Press (first published February 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Nuclear War and Environmental Catastrophe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nuclear War and Environmental Catastrophe

Michael Brocenos
Sep 08, 2014 Michael Brocenos rated it really liked it
Chomsky being Chomsky. Very short but good enough for its length. Tons of citations and appendix material, which is a little annoying to have to flip back and forth but I'm thankful nonetheless.
Andy
May 02, 2013 Andy rated it it was amazing
Read this book.
Mat
Apr 18, 2014 Mat rated it liked it
This is less a fully-fledged book and more a collection of conversations fleshed out with appendices and extensive footnotes. The starting point was a statement Noam Chomsky made around 2010: “There are two problems for our species’ survival—nuclear war and environmental catastrophe.” The interviewer for the book, Laray Polk - a multimedia artist who has written about radioactive waste in Texas - asks Chomsky some good questions. Here are some quotes I liked:

From the preface by Laray Polk:

As Chr
Daniel
Feb 24, 2015 Daniel rated it really liked it
Perhaps. But the greatest threat, I think, is the evasion and suppression of what is known, or could easily be known if there were any authentic concern for terrible crimes. Of course there is much anguish when someone else is guilty, but the crucial case, always, is when we ourselves are the perpetrators—clearly the most crucial case for us, on elementary moral grounds. Sometimes there is awareness, though ineffectual. Thomas Jefferson famously said that “I tremble for my country when I reflect ...more
Heather Neistein
Feb 10, 2017 Heather Neistein rated it really liked it
Interesting short read.
Randall Wallace
Jun 24, 2013 Randall Wallace rated it it was amazing
latest book of Noam's - it's an easy read - a few hours and you are done. it has lots of great stuff every american should know - stuff like:

NO LEGAL EXERCISE OF SOVEREIGNTY BY ANY COUNTRY CAN BE TOLERATED WHICH INTERFERES WITH U.S. PLANS

successful governments or movements send the wrong message - that there may be an alternative to u.s. hegemony.

if we can't control latin america, how can we control the rest of the world?

NATO's real role is keeping europe from adopting a different path from the
Heather
Jun 07, 2014 Heather rated it it was ok
I felt sour about this book. Not much was said about thoughts on the feasibility of nuclear power or about actions taken against environmental catastrophe. Potentially Chomsky doesn't see those as the biggest part of the picture, but if so he should have spoken on that. At times too the conversation was hard to follow.
Davidkjelkerud
Brilliant. Chomsky explains these issues in his usual clear-eyed and fact-based way. Probably half of the book consists of references and appendixes backing up his arguments. It's impossible to put down.
Rachella Baker
Apr 30, 2013 Rachella Baker rated it it was amazing
I WON THIS BOOK THROUGH GOODREADS FIRST READ GIVE-A-WAYS PROGRAM.IT IS REALLY AN INTERESTING BOOK,I HAD A HARD TIME GETTING THROUGH THIS ONE,I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND ALL THE DOINGS IN THIS ONE.I WILL HAVE TO READ AGAIN AND TRY HARDER TO UNDERSTAND.THANK YOU
Martina
Jul 04, 2013 Martina rated it it was amazing
I always take a pleasure in reading Chomsky who impresses with a great inside and an educated knowledge. One of the " should read".
Roge Roger
Aug 06, 2016 Roge Roger rated it liked it
Noam launches off on a well meaning but ultimately flawed work to try and ward off a likely inevitable future.
Jon Letman
Apr 16, 2014 Jon Letman rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Short read but incredibly full of important policy practices that are rarely discussed or examined. This book should be on every senior high school student's "must read" list.
Kelly Jo
Dec 07, 2015 Kelly Jo rated it really liked it
The book was a short and easy read. I wish that it would have gone into a little more detail instead of briefly touching on multiple topics. The book left me wanting more information.
Victor
Victor rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
Pete
Pete rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Scott Smith
Scott Smith rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2013
Fatima Al Shamasi
Fatima Al Shamasi rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2014
Serval Spots
Serval Spots rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Grant
Grant rated it really liked it
May 03, 2014
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2013
Grant
Grant rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2014
Vicky Fenwick-Sehl
Vicky Fenwick-Sehl rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2015
Haylee
Haylee rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2015
Jena
Jena rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2017
Jeffrey Jarrett
Jeffrey Jarrett rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2013
Liam
Liam rated it liked it
May 27, 2015
John
John rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2016
Onur Vassaf
Onur Vassaf rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Ishan
Ishan rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Sign: The Shroud of Turin and the Secret of the Resurrection
  • The Sweetness of a Simple Life: Tips for Healthier, Happier and Kinder Living Gleaned from the Wisdom and Science of Nature
  • Under the Black Umbrella: Voices from Colonial Korea, 1910-1945
  • Plague's Progress: A Social History Of Man And Disease
  • Deadly Companions: How Microbes Shaped Our History
  • Secret Agents: The Menace of Emerging Infections
  • The Odyssey of KP2: An Orphan Seal, a Marine Biologist, and the Fight to Save a Species
  • Inside the Outbreaks: The Elite Medical Detectives of the Epidemic Intelligence Service
  • To Die in Mexico: Dispatches from Inside the Drug War
  • Global Crisis: War, Climate Change and Catastrophe in the Seventeenth Century
  • Hoodwinked: An Economic Hit Man Reveals Why the World Financial Markets Imploded & What We Need to Do to Save Them
  • The Evolving Self: A Psychology for the Third Millennium
  • Kill Anything That Moves: The Real American War in Vietnam
  • Walking With The Comrades
  • A Guide for the Perplexed
  • The World As It Is: Dispatches on the Myth of Human Progress
  • The Democracy Project: A History, a Crisis, a Movement
  • Round River
Avram Noam Chomsky is an American linguist, philosopher, political activist, author, and lecturer. He is an Institute Professor and professor emeritus of linguistics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Chomsky is credited with the creation of the theory of generative grammar, considered to be one of the most significant contributions to the field of linguistics made in the 20th century. H
More about Noam Chomsky...

“The powerful are self-immunized from even inquiry, let alone punishment for their crimes.” 0 likes
“[W]e have a democracy that uses free elections to put in place known obstructionists, and a media that disproportionately gives a forum to economically driven ideology over sound science.” 0 likes