Nuclear War and Environmental Catastrophe

Nuclear War and Environmental Catastrophe

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  8 reviews
“There are two problems for our species’ survival—nuclear war and environmental catastrophe, ” says Noam Chomsky in this new book on the two existential threats of our timeand their points of intersection since World War II.

While a nuclear strike would require action, environmental catastrophe is partially defined by willful inaction inresponse to human-induced climate cha...more
Published April 30th 2013 by Seven Stories Press (first published February 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Nuclear War and Environmental Catastrophe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nuclear War and Environmental Catastrophe

Mat
This is less a fully-fledged book and more a collection of conversations fleshed out with appendices and extensive footnotes. The starting point was a statement Noam Chomsky made around 2010: “There are two problems for our species’ survival—nuclear war and environmental catastrophe.” The interviewer for the book, Laray Polk - a multimedia artist who has written about radioactive waste in Texas - asks Chomsky some good questions. Here are some quotes I liked:

From the preface by Laray Polk:

As Chr...more
Andy
Read this book.
Randall Wallace
latest book of Noam's - it's an easy read - a few hours and you are done. it has lots of great stuff every american should know - stuff like:

NO LEGAL EXERCISE OF SOVEREIGNTY BY ANY COUNTRY CAN BE TOLERATED WHICH INTERFERES WITH U.S. PLANS

successful governments or movements send the wrong message - that there may be an alternative to u.s. hegemony.

if we can't control latin america, how can we control the rest of the world?

NATO's real role is keeping europe from adopting a different path from the...more
Heather
I felt sour about this book. Not much was said about thoughts on the feasibility of nuclear power or about actions taken against environmental catastrophe. Potentially Chomsky doesn't see those as the biggest part of the picture, but if so he should have spoken on that. At times too the conversation was hard to follow.
Jon Letman
Excellent. Short read but incredibly full of important policy practices that are rarely discussed or examined. This book should be on every senior high school student's "must read" list.
Rachella Baker
I WON THIS BOOK THROUGH GOODREADS FIRST READ GIVE-A-WAYS PROGRAM.IT IS REALLY AN INTERESTING BOOK,I HAD A HARD TIME GETTING THROUGH THIS ONE,I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND ALL THE DOINGS IN THIS ONE.I WILL HAVE TO READ AGAIN AND TRY HARDER TO UNDERSTAND.THANK YOU
Davidkjelkerud
Brilliant. Chomsky explains these issues in his usual clear-eyed and fact-based way. Probably half of the book consists of references and appendixes backing up his arguments. It's impossible to put down.
Martina
I always take a pleasure in reading Chomsky who impresses with a great inside and an educated knowledge. One of the " should read".
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Jack Stacey
Jack Stacey marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Chelsey Lucas
Chelsey Lucas is currently reading it
Jul 10, 2014
Emily Phillips
Emily Phillips marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Aspen
Aspen marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Jputz
Jputz marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Bachir
Bachir marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Youssef El-Gohary
Youssef El-Gohary marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Prarthini
Prarthini marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Avram Noam Chomsky is an American linguist, philosopher, political activist, author, and lecturer. He is an Institute Professor and professor emeritus of linguistics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Chomsky is credited with the creation of the theory of generative grammar, considered to be one of the most significant contributions to the field of linguistics made in the 20th century. H...more
More about Noam Chomsky...
Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance Understanding Power: The Indispensable Chomsky Failed States: The Abuse of Power and the Assault on Democracy Profit Over People: Neoliberalism and Global Order