Start by marking “God's Doodle: The Life and Times of the Penis” as Want to Read:
God's Doodle: The Life and Times of the Penis

God's Doodle: The Life and Times of the Penis

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Throughout history man has revered his penis as his 'most precious ornament'.

Yet, ambivalently, his penis has always been the source of man's deepest neuroses too. Do women find it, in the erect state, inherently ridiculous? Why can't a man be certain his penis will stand and deliver when he commands? If and when it steadfastly refuses, what can he do to remedy the situati
Published November 1st 2012 by Square Peg

To ask other readers questions about God's Doodle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God's Doodle

Brendan
I believe this book should be read by every man on the planet earth. It's a thoroughly fascinating and absolutely hysterical documentation of the history between man and his little best friend.

Tom Hickman's writing style is breezy but informative, the quality and breadth of his research is never compromised by the personality that shines through his prose. I found this writing style to be somewhat unique for a work of non-fiction, and also very refreshing. God's Doodle is thought-provoking; fro
Robyn
I picked this up as a bit of a joke, but I found a thoroughly researched book on a subject that I didn't know much about. The overall tone is light, although sometimes the info dump can be rather heavy. Not all facts were interesting to me, but I imagine that varies with the reader. I liked the amusing etymology, cultural facts and the behind-the-scenes biology. I didn't care for the descriptions of historical castrations, injuries and boring stats of sizes and shapes.
My favorite fact: the word
Mark Kenny
Saw this on the bookshelf and immediately wanted to read it. Initially decided against it but then thought, “no, sod it, why be embarrassed about what you read” and bought it.

I thought it would be laddish, and it does lean that way in places, but it’s actually a thoroughly researched and thoughtful book. The book never becomes academic and doesn’t take itself seriously anywhere, which allows the reader to read it neutrally and form their own opinion. In the chapter detailing how the penis has be
Frank Roberts
A delightful book--highly recommended to anyone who is interested in the subject matter, and that probably includes most people. The history, the science, the mythology, the terminology, etc. of the matter at hand (ahem) are all well covered (hehe). Very funny book as well.
Steve Wiggins
Funny, but informative. At times it can make you cringe. Part exploration, part owner's manual. More observations may be found here: Sects and Violence in the Ancient World.
Diana
Nice anecdte, as the saying goes, and this book is a collection of them about penises. Puns abound too - puns, way too many puns, even for fan of the device. This book is also great as a gift and conversation filler, but only in the right company. :)
Matthew Mccrady
Surprisingly in-depth and educational, also funny. I didn't think there'd be so much to say about the penis. I'd like to read a book about the womanly parts, now.
Paul Anderson
I received this as a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. I entered the drawing for this expecting a brief, humorous read that could make a good Christmas gag gift. That all still applies, but I was not expecting it to be as interesting and as exhaustively researched as it turned out to be. Specifically, the detail the author goes into about religious history, including Christianity, is absolutely fascinating. Oftentimes the material itself is humorous enough, but the dry, distinctly British wit and ...more
Sandy Lenahan
Interesting read, not anywhere as funny as Mary Roach but just as fact filled. Ancient history, present day, feminist and penis possessors (and eunuchs too),all get they're fair share of the spotlight in God's Doodle. I would have given it 4 stars if the material moved a little faster ("that's what she said!").
Mary
If you enjoyed Mary Roach's "Bonk" you may enjoy this book as well. Everything you ever wanted to know about the penis (although if you are a "penis-possessor", possibly many things you would rather not read about) from the aspects of culture, religion, biology, history, and more. Both informative and amusing.
Karl
Entertaining, cleverly written, lots of trivia, dispelled myths, linguistic and cultural anecdotes.
The author does not sensationalise or take the easy jokes, but he does have a lot of witty fun with the subject matter
Łukasz
Jako radosny posiadacz, miło było przeczytać o tym, jak penis rządzi światem w bardziej lub mniej świadomy sposób. Czyta się lekko i przyjemnie. Idealna lektura do pociągu czy samolotu!
Yoruichi
Interesting and funny despite the lack of structure. Yet, the last part was very disappointing.
Michael
Interesting and factual (sometimes downright gruesome) but written with a whole lot of humour. A good read.
Entertaining in an anthropological/sociological sort of way.
Rodney Gomez
A hilarious natural history of the 2nd brain.
Michael
really interesting and really funny book.
Elina Heikkinen
Elina Heikkinen marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Antonio Marcos
Antonio Marcos marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Stefan Dedalus
Stefan Dedalus is currently reading it
Feb 21, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Claudia
Claudia marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
christine
christine marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
  • Ravaged By the Raptor
  • Sex and Punishment: Four Thousand Years of Judging Desire
  • On Extinction: How We Became Estranged from Nature
  • Eating People is Wrong
  • The Horny Minotaur
  • Floating Gold: A Natural (and Unnatural) History of Ambergris
  • Jesus Potter Harry Christ: The Astonishing Relationship Between Two of the World's Most Popular Literary Characters: A Historical Investigation I
  • Riddled with Life: Friendly Worms, Ladybug Sex, and the Parasites That Make Us Who We Are
  • Cultivating Delight: A Natural History of My Garden
  • Sex Workers Unite: A History of the Movement from Stonewall to SlutWalk
  • An Intimate Life: Sex, Love, and My Journey as a Surrogate Partner
  • Social Elephant: New Rules for Making Friends in Our Changing Social Economy
  • Sex Bucket List
  • Don't Pee on My Leg and Tell Me It's Raining: America's Toughest Family Court Judge Speaks Out
  • Wilde Passions of Dorian Gray: A Novel
  • The Stamp Collector
  • Single Girls
  • Eating Dangerously: Why the Government Can't Keep Your Food Safe ... and How You Can
Churchill's Bodyguard: The Authorised Biography of Walter H. Thompson Death: A User's Guide Called Up Sent Down: The Bevin Boys' War The Call-Up: A History of National Service The Sexual Century: How Private Passion Became a Public Obsession