Start by marking “God's Doodle: The Life and Times of the Penis” as Want to Read:
God's Doodle: The Life and Times of the Penis

God's Doodle: The Life and Times of the Penis

Throughout history man has revered his penis as his 'most precious ornament'.

Yet, ambivalently, his penis has always been the source of man's deepest neuroses too. Do women find it, in the erect state, inherently ridiculous? Why can't a man be certain his penis will stand and deliver when he commands? If and when it steadfastly refuses, what can he do to remedy the situati
Published November 1st 2012 by Square Peg

To ask other readers questions about God's Doodle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God's Doodle

Brendan
Feb 28, 2013 Brendan rated it really liked it
I believe this book should be read by every man on the planet earth. It's a thoroughly fascinating and absolutely hysterical documentation of the history between man and his little best friend.

Tom Hickman's writing style is breezy but informative, the quality and breadth of his research is never compromised by the personality that shines through his prose. I found this writing style to be somewhat unique for a work of non-fiction, and also very refreshing. God's Doodle is thought-provoking; fro
Robyn
Sep 21, 2014 Robyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up as a bit of a joke, but I found a thoroughly researched book on a subject that I didn't know much about. The overall tone is light, although sometimes the info dump can be rather heavy. Not all facts were interesting to me, but I imagine that varies with the reader. I liked the amusing etymology, cultural facts and the behind-the-scenes biology. I didn't care for the descriptions of historical castrations, injuries and boring stats of sizes and shapes.
My favorite fact: the word
Philip Hollenback
Dec 09, 2016 Philip Hollenback rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book taught me a lot about the history of the penis. You'd think I was an expert, having one myself for 43 years, but it turns out there's a lot to learn.

For example, did you know that hot cross buns are actually descended from pagan penis cakes? Now you do.

Downside: my feelings about my penis are now even more conflicted after reading that book. Penises are awesome and amazing, but they seem to cause a lot of problems for everyone who has to deal with one.
Mark Kenny
Dec 04, 2012 Mark Kenny rated it really liked it
Saw this on the bookshelf and immediately wanted to read it. Initially decided against it but then thought, “no, sod it, why be embarrassed about what you read” and bought it.

I thought it would be laddish, and it does lean that way in places, but it’s actually a thoroughly researched and thoughtful book. The book never becomes academic and doesn’t take itself seriously anywhere, which allows the reader to read it neutrally and form their own opinion. In the chapter detailing how the penis has be
Paul Anderson
I received this as a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. I entered the drawing for this expecting a brief, humorous read that could make a good Christmas gag gift. That all still applies, but I was not expecting it to be as interesting and as exhaustively researched as it turned out to be. Specifically, the detail the author goes into about religious history, including Christianity, is absolutely fascinating. Oftentimes the material itself is humorous enough, but the dry, distinctly British wit and ...more
Sandy Lenahan
Dec 30, 2013 Sandy Lenahan rated it liked it
Interesting read, not anywhere as funny as Mary Roach but just as fact filled. Ancient history, present day, feminist and penis possessors (and eunuchs too),all get they're fair share of the spotlight in God's Doodle. I would have given it 4 stars if the material moved a little faster ("that's what she said!").
Mary
Jan 06, 2013 Mary rated it liked it
If you enjoyed Mary Roach's "Bonk" you may enjoy this book as well. Everything you ever wanted to know about the penis (although if you are a "penis-possessor", possibly many things you would rather not read about) from the aspects of culture, religion, biology, history, and more. Both informative and amusing.
Karl
Dec 01, 2012 Karl rated it liked it
Entertaining, cleverly written, lots of trivia, dispelled myths, linguistic and cultural anecdotes.
The author does not sensationalise or take the easy jokes, but he does have a lot of witty fun with the subject matter
Frank Roberts
Apr 17, 2014 Frank Roberts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, science
A delightful book--highly recommended to anyone who is interested in the subject matter, and that probably includes most people. The history, the science, the mythology, the terminology, etc. of the matter at hand (ahem) are all well covered (hehe). Very funny book as well.
Steve Wiggins
Nov 09, 2014 Steve Wiggins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, but informative. At times it can make you cringe. Part exploration, part owner's manual. More observations may be found here: Sects and Violence in the Ancient World.
Diana
Mar 22, 2014 Diana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: guilties
Nice anecdte, as the saying goes, and this book is a collection of them about penises. Puns abound too - puns, way too many puns, even for fan of the device. This book is also great as a gift and conversation filler, but only in the right company. :)
Alejandro
Meh.

Waaaaay too hetero focused to be interesting to me. I wish someone would undertake a gay version of this.
Michael
Jan 01, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it
Interesting and factual (sometimes downright gruesome) but written with a whole lot of humour. A good read.
Michael
Jul 02, 2013 Michael rated it it was amazing
really interesting and really funny book.
Łukasz
Jako radosny posiadacz, miło było przeczytać o tym, jak penis rządzi światem w bardziej lub mniej świadomy sposób. Czyta się lekko i przyjemnie. Idealna lektura do pociągu czy samolotu!
Rodney Gomez
Dec 09, 2013 Rodney Gomez rated it it was amazing
A hilarious natural history of the 2nd brain.
Isaiah
Feb 01, 2014 Isaiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To see a review of this book go to http://mibookreviews.wordpress.com/
Jan 13, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Entertaining in an anthropological/sociological sort of way.
Łukasz
Aug 03, 2014 Łukasz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
zabawna, lekka, polecam, tylko dla dorosłych
Rohit Nair
Sep 17, 2016 Rohit Nair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A seminal work, indeed. Must-read for all penis-possessors, at the very least.

If nothing else, contains notes from tens of other books that I now have to pick up.
Matthew Mccrady
Mar 06, 2014 Matthew Mccrady rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly in-depth and educational, also funny. I didn't think there'd be so much to say about the penis. I'd like to read a book about the womanly parts, now.
Katarzyna Domagala
Katarzyna Domagala rated it it was ok
Oct 07, 2016
Klaudia
Klaudia rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2014
Monika
Monika rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Luca Poohalsky
Luca Poohalsky rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Julia
Julia rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2014
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2014
Filip
Filip rated it it was ok
Nov 02, 2014
Kerry rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • On Extinction: How We Became Estranged from Nature
  • Riddled with Life: Friendly Worms, Ladybug Sex, and the Parasites That Make Us Who We Are
  • Cultivating Delight: A Natural History of My Garden
  • Wilde Passions of Dorian Gray
  • Floating Gold: A Natural (and Unnatural) History of Ambergris
  • Sex and Punishment: Four Thousand Years of Judging Desire
  • Picture Cook: See. Make. Eat.
  • All of Me That You Can't See
  • Little Things That Make a Big Difference
  • Revelations
  • Shooting with Soul: 44 Photography Exercises Exploring Life, Beauty and Self-Expression
  • The Impossibility of Sex: Stories of the Intimate Relationship between Therapist and Patient
  • Sex Bucket List
  • Little Stinker
  • Strictly G.I.: The WWII Letters of Cpl.Wanda M. Renn
  • 21 Teen Devotionals... for Girls!
  • Tell Me a Story: Finding God (and Ourselves) Through Narrative