Start by marking “Dracula: A BabyLit® Counting Primer” as Want to Read:
Dracula: A BabyLit® Counting Primer

Dracula: A BabyLit® Counting Primer (BabyLit)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  1,581 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Meet 2 friends, Mina and Lucy, and the 5 heroes who try to save them from the dreaded Count Dracula in Dracula: A BabyLit Counting Primer. Make sure you’re wearing a necklace of 10 garlic flowers as you count wolves, ships, tombstones, and boxes full of soil in this witty retelling of Little Master Stoker’s classic gothic tale.
Board Book, 22 pages
Published August 1st 2012 by Gibbs Smith

To ask other readers questions about Dracula, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dracula

Erika
When I saw there’d be a baby board book for Dracula I was very surprised and very intrigued! This doesn’t seem at all like the kind of story you’d want illustrated for a baby and toddler. What if it was too violent? But it is based off a classic and us book lovers might want to share a little enthusiasm with our little ones!

I haven’t read the original Dracula yet, so I can’t comment on how well the adaptation works. However, the book is very mysterious and makes we want to learn more about the s
Jocelin
Can I just say that I liked this book better than the original (Just Kidding, Not Really). The main elements of the original book are in here and it is really fun to read. These books are so wonderful at capturing the elements of classic works of literature. I love this series.
Jessica
A counting book based on DRACULA? Yep, and it's a real winner around here! My toddler LOVES the book, I think because of the purple/black/white color scheme, which is totally different from his other books. And I love reading it to him, because it's counting the things and characters from DRACULA! 1 castle. 2 friends: Mina and Lucy.

Awesome.
Drew Graham
Dracula is out for blood! And he's also out to help little classics fans learn to count.

It didn't occur to me until this very second that this isn't the first time a vampire count has taught toddlers their 1-2-3s... Anyway, I won't deny that I've been waiting to read/review this one until Halloween time, and I found it to be another fun entry in the series (and, I think, the last one I had left!). It had little touches from the story and lots of characters, and, as expected, plenty of dark, spoo
jacky
Far better than the other counting primers in the series. I found the choices for the items and the artwork more interesting. The biblophile in me wants to love these books, but I just can't. I dislike that they are really for adults, and do not focus on what babies and toddlers would like to read. There is something to be said for making a book that will make parents excited to read to their children, but that is a non-issue with literature lovers. This particular one is a counting book, and th ...more
Lindsay
This board book is just too cute to handle. It is my favorite of the Babylit books by Jennifer Adams. The first page starts with "1 Haunted House," then continues with adorable illustrations until you get to "10 Boxes." The boxes look like coffins, which gives you the option of explaining this to your toddler, or not. I simply squealed with delight over this book.
Alicia Scully
I read this book around the same time as _Alice in Wonderland: A BabyLit Colors Primer_ and I loved it. The book is fun and still educational without being too overwhelming for your learners. I could see there being criticisms on how the book might be too scary for young readers, but it's really quite cartoony with some darker colors. I could also see how fans of Stoker's book would be unhappy because it's not exactly the original story, but I don't think that needs to be worried about either. M ...more
Jen
Definitely cheeky, this is a fun counting book to use with little little ones. I don't know if I'll read it aloud to kids/baby when they're able to understand the vocabulary (coffins are called boxes) but it's fun now at the infant stage. My sample audience of one stared at each page when I read it to her.
Qnpoohbear
I'm not very familiar with the original story so this abridged version doesn't make a lot of sense. The illustrations are cute. My 4 year old niece liked it but she had a lot of questions no one can answer. I guess she'll just have to read the original some day.
Jessie Quinn (cupofbooks)
Feb 01, 2013 Jessie Quinn (cupofbooks) added it
Recommends it for: parents who love classic literature, parents who enjoy dark humor, toddlers
Shelves: picture-books
When I saw this at the store, I couldn't resist buying it for my niece, who is two and learning to count. The only number she can say so far is "two," so she repeats "two" while pointing at things to mimic counting. After she finishes, she laughs "HA HA HA" like The Count on Sesame Street. Admittedly, I might be partially to blame for that.

But I digress. Her parents are well-read, so I figured they'd get a kick out of this board book. There's some cute pictures for the kids and some morbid humor
Heather
These babylit books are so beautifully drawn. If you are a fan of the book, and want a kids book about it, check these out, they are beautiful.
Kristina Silverbears
This is not a story. It is a waste of money. The book has almost no text.
Kwoomac
Clever. Adams did a bunch of these books where she used classic books as her starting point. This is a counting primer. The artwork is spooky but not overly so.
Kat
The baby loved this one!
Elizabeth
I have seen various Goodreads giveaways for Jennifer Adams' Babylit books and was excited to finally win one. Dracula arrived with perfect timing, the day before Halloween. Even though my son is a little to old for counting board books, he still liked it, I mean it is Dracula after all. I will be passing this on to a friend of mine after his son is born and I won't hesitate to buy other BabyLit books in the future as gifts or for any future children of my own.
Ann
Another bizarre entry into the BabyLit collection designed to introduce the Pre-K audience to English Lit classics. A counting book, the number five introduces us to Heroes, including Arthur Holmwood and Dr. Van Helsing, while the number ten stands for Garlic Flowers. Most interesting is 9 Boxes--which are actually coffins. I can think of a Goth friend who is a college professor who would love this board book, but the baby-friendly appeal is not obvious to me.
Jean
I never thought I'd be reading Dracula to my 4-month-old, but there you have it! BabyLit Dracula, by Little Master Stoker, is a counting primer. We encounter 1 castle perched atop a tall mountain and surrounded by 3 hoooowling wolves, 8 adorable rats ready to journey to London, 9 "boxes" (read: coffins), and 10 garlic flowers, among other delights. Pop a vampire pacifier in your baby's mouth and check it out!
Stacy
Who new Dracula could be so cute?

In this counting primer we see simple illustrations that reflect the original dark and mysterious classic, from white wolves to Dracula’s castle. Never fear, Mina and Lucy are included as well as Dr. Van Helsing and the rest. Toddlers will have fun counting the “heroes,” “friends,” and “rats.”

The details are spot on, and makes this a great addition to any library.
Alice
This series is silly! (Funny silly or ridiculous silly... you be the judge) They take classic and put it at a baby level. So Dracula becomes a counting book 1) Castle etc so it is really nothing to do with the actual story...but I guess if you want to expose your 3 month old to Dracula ... Here you go...just don't expect this to be confused with real literature!
David
This is a creepy tale of gothic horror. The art style really shines and the counting element does not detract from the thematic elements. While not necessarily providing the most accurate retelling of the plot, younger readers may be delightfully scared by the terrible ever increasing numbers of spooky things.
Jocelyn
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads. All three of my kids (ages 7, 4, and 19 months) loved this book. It was different and fun, the way the author made it into a Dracula counting book, we loved it! The pictures were fantastic as well.
Hannah
This is awesome! I got this for my son for Halloween, and he loves it! This one tells the story of Dracula a bit more than some of the other BabyLit books tell their stories, and what a great way to introduce my baby to the greats!
Elvira
I love this counting book! It had great illustrations that a high on contrast in black, white, and red for young eyes and plenty of references to the story. My little one of six months loves to be read this book.
MissyLynne
Having won Dracula: A BabyLit Counting Primer through the Goodreads First Reads giveaway, I found the book cute. It gives learning to count a fun new twist while riding the current vampire craze fad.
Dee
I don't usually do board books but this one I couldn't resist. Great colors and artwork. I know that a baby would not get it but a parent would enjoy this BabyLit book.
Felicity Disco
I love this whole series, though I'll admit that this one actually made me want to read the original, since I didn't understand what some of the things were referring to!
K.C. Shaw
An utterly adorable book! The artwork is charming and simple, and what a clever idea. A great gift for the gothbaby in your life. :)
Peacegal
This is a very funny concept, hilariously executed, which I imagine will delight just as many adult literature fans as tots.
Natalie
So far this one in the series has done the best with matching the counting pictures to the story in the classic novel.
Jim
Great counting book based on Bram Stoker's Dracula.
  • Cozy Classics: Pride and Prejudice
  • Zombie in Love
  • You Are My Cupcake
  • The Insomniacs
  • I Need My Monster
  • Dinosaurs Love Underpants
  • How Do Dinosaurs Love Their Cats?
  • Gideon and Otto
  • Alphablock
  • My Very First Book Of Shapes
  • Opposites
  • You Are My Sunshine
  • Duck & Goose Find A Pumpkin
  • Stop Snoring, Bernard!
  • Mirror Me!: A Mirror Book (Baby Einstein)
  • Wilfred
  • The Hueys in the New Sweater
  • Dragons Love Tacos
Pride & Prejudice : A BabyLit Counting Primer Alice in Wonderland: A BabyLit® Colors Primer Jane Eyre: A BabyLit Counting Primer Romeo & Juliet: A BabyLit Counting Primer Sense and Sensibility: A BabyLit Opposites Primer