Start by marking “I'll Seize the Day Tomorrow” as Want to Read:
I'll Seize the Day Tomorrow

I'll Seize the Day Tomorrow

I'll Seize the Day Tomorrow is the story of Jonathan Goldstein's journey to find some great truth on his road to forty.

In a series of wonderfully funny stories, the host of CBC's WireTap recounts the highs and lows of his last year in his thirties. Throughout the year, Goldstein asks weighty questions that would stump a person less seasoned. For example: What is it about a
Published October 9th 2012 by Penguin Canada

To ask other readers questions about I'll Seize the Day Tomorrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'll Seize the Day Tomorrow

Donna Parker
Sep 04, 2012 Donna Parker rated it it was amazing
Since I esteem the interesting view on life offered by Jonathan Goldstein I was prepared to esteem this book, and I did, esteem it, like it, love it, ingest it, delight in it, suchlike, but it actually did something else, gasp, it made me think, no, not because it was profound or deep, but quite the opposite. The very thought running-oningness, the very shallow nothingness of it made me ruminate. Perhaps because I could see myself in this, not the actual situations, but the vague meanderings of ...more
Sterlingcindysu
Apr 20, 2013 Sterlingcindysu rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
These are the thoughts of a man turning 40, but really, they sounded like those of a man turning 60. Maybe there's not much difference if you don't have any kids to complain about college bills in your 40s. Some people are just born "old" and I think JG is one of them. Considering how often he's drinking coffee in the book he never seems to have much energy.

None of this is to say that it's not funny--it is. I've never heard of the author before, so all his jokes, experiences, etc are new to me.
Frederic  Germay
Jun 15, 2013 Frederic Germay rated it really liked it
"I'll Seize the Day Tomorrow" is a top-notch read, almost Vonnegutian in a way. Goldstein's book seems like a literary adaptation of Curb Your Enthusiasm, except all of Goldstein's friends are Larry Davids and he's the bumbling buffoon upon which the hilarious rudeness gets heaped. I recently did an interview with author and he described himself as a schlimazel surrounded by schlemiels. Katoves aside, this schlocky schmendrick views Goldstein as more of a maven mentsch.

And if you haven't listen
Davida
Oct 21, 2013 Davida rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jewish, funny
My favorite kind of book: smart, funny, sad, introspective, deep yet shallow at times as well. I learned what "Weltschmerz" means from this book. Look it up!

Here are some of my other favorite quotes:

from the very first page:

"Though we pretend otherwise, we're all our ages at once. I decide to start putting my shoes on the wrong feet whenever I need to remind myself of that. To this end, I will also take up skipping, though only late at night when no one is around. This, too, will make me feel y
Sara
Sep 09, 2015 Sara rated it really liked it
I love this guy. He's a nut, very bright, and very funny. I actually laughed out loud when reading this very loosely connected collection of musings, and I'm not usually a laugh-out-louder. I had to keep stifling myself because my husband was sleeping next to me in bed. I especially love the way he talks about his friends and parents. I could read an entire book about his father alone.

Here is just a small sample of one of his observations:

"I'm not the only one at work worried about germs. All d
Sonya
Jul 05, 2014 Sonya rated it really liked it
I recognized a lot of the stories from Wiretap episodes, and enjoyed them just as much in reading as hearing Jonathan Goldstein narrate them on the radio. A fun (and hella fast!) read. I just started it this morning! #triplespacing #fatmargins
James
Dec 15, 2015 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slight and quick but also really funny.
guiltlessreader
Sep 14, 2012 guiltlessreader rated it really liked it
Originally posted on my blog Guiltless Reading

So I got this one thinking that I could relate (hint: I'm nearing a round figure myself). But then there are so many dissimilarities that I started out with just a bit of trepidation -- was I ready to listen to a single male yap about his utter hopelessness and aimless life? Would I at least get a good laugh, or would I be forcing myself to find humour in things I couldn't relate to ... like the McRib? (I have never eaten a McRib in my life!)

As I sta
Brandon
Mar 17, 2017 Brandon rated it really liked it
Jonathan Goldstein is Canada's pre-eminent absurdist. This book had me in stitches multiple times. Fans of WireTap will likely be familiar with most of the anecdotes in this book, so you've been warned. This was a great, fast read that would be a perfect book for the beach.
Craig Barner
Sep 01, 2013 Craig Barner rated it liked it
Shelves: humor-and-comedy
I found myself laughing as I read "I'll Seize the Day Tomorrow." Some humor I have read made me smirk or snicker. Jonathan Goldstein caused me to laugh and even guffaw. Those reactions are not easy to achieve through the medium of a book.

Goldstein is approaching his 40th birthday without a wife, kids or house, so he decides to write "I'll Seize the Day Tomorrow." The idea is good, so maybe his youth isn't so dried up after all. I'm in the same boat as he is but older and without a book under my
Edward
May 28, 2013 Edward rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cultural-nonfic, bio
I've listened to the Wiretap show for several years now and really like the characters, so I went into this book expecting to really enjoy it.

Jonathan comes across as more angsty than I perceived in the show; I'm not sure if this is a more accurate reflection of who he really is, but he had some interesting concerns. When you reach a milestone, are you where you thought you'd be in life? What if you're not? How do you evaluate your life if you're not?

I really got a laugh out of Gregor's forewo
Jess
Sep 30, 2016 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jess by: Huffington Post - Best Books of 2013
With the release of Jonathan Goldstein's new (and frankly, amazing) podcast Heavyweight, I've been spending some time lately reminiscing about how much I enjoyed his previous podcast Wiretap. Goldstein's humour is intelligent, wry and poignant, and his recurring cast of friends and family always entertaining - to the point where it feels like reconnecting with old friends when they appear in Heavyweight.

And, when they appear in Goldstein's I'll Seize the Day Tomorrow, which captures the 39th ye
Kate
Jul 10, 2014 Kate rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: the over-analytical bearded
Recommended to Kate by: Ira Glass?
Shelves: biography-memoir
"Even a beard is not enough to cover up the truth of who you are."

"Back at my office, the sadness I feel for having looked forward to the Melba toast overwhelms the happiness I feel while eating the Melba toast. Overall, I am left feeling pretty even."

"A grape is a raisin that forgot to die."

"Sometimes knowing how to read can be a burden."

"I'm not exactly in the moment, but somewhere adjacent to it."

"Death is the impossibility of possibility."

"What is it about beards and sadness that they go so
Lana.
Oct 23, 2012 Lana. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Wiretap lovers who love it for Jonathan
Dear Jonathan,

I want to write like you. But I also don't want to be sad. Is it possible to do / be both?

Those who listen to CBC's Wiretap, will gladly embrace Jonathan Goldstein's latest book which chronicles the year of his 39th to 40th birthday in journal-like pensées. Included also are a number of short stories that have been heard on the show, inserted among the weeks.

I for one am glad Jonathan didn't take Gregor's advice to "pack it with sex" and "nudity", instead writing on the weight o
Jennifer Bahorski
Aug 09, 2013 Jennifer Bahorski rated it it was ok
This book was recommended to me as a funny, light book ..especially appropriate for people like me, who JUST turned 40 this year. So, it's a memoir of a guy's life ...written out in a journal style...accounting the days of his 39th year...counting down until he hits 40. What a whiner. It's like 50 Shades of a Dude I Would NEVER be interested in. He's feeling like he hasn't accomplished much in his life and laments about this every entry. Some of the entries are just narratives of something munda ...more
Rebecca
Apr 25, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
I never read anything by Jonathan Goldstein before. I didn't know who he was when I read this book. As I picked up I was just hoping it would be as good as David Sedaris, because he is one of my favorites.

Then I noted that on the cover of "I'll Seize the Day Tomorrow" David Sedaris is promoting the book! Then I was excited.

The book is written in chapters and each one is based on one week as Goldstein counts down his 39th year, approaching his 40th birthday with a lot of dry humor and a preoccu
Sean Kelly
Nov 06, 2012 Sean Kelly rated it it was ok
Alright, I'll admit to reading a book based solely on a review I heard on the radio. In my own defence, the reviewer made Goldstein's "I'll Seize The Day Tomorrow" sound waaaaaaay funnier than it is. There are some parts that warrant a chuckle, but it is not nearly as funny as some reviewers will have you believe. In fact, the characters are downright annoying at times, leading this reader to hope they were only based LOOSELY on close associates of the author. The premise had so much going for i ...more
Tea Leaf
Aug 28, 2013 Tea Leaf rated it liked it
As a woman in my late twenties, I was disturbed and overwhelmed by how connected I felt to Goldstein's voice, Particularly in his sentiments regarding post-move unpacking: "...it's a state of grace where all things are permissible. For instance, this evening I ate takeout pizza off a cardboard box while drinking wine out of a soup pot (like a cowboy!) and I watched the tv on the floor beside me, inches from my face (like being at a drive-in!)". Immediately after reading this I wanted to drink wi ...more
Tara
Mar 29, 2013 Tara rated it it was ok
Favorite line:
"That's why people have kids," he says, growing sombre. "Before I had mine, my inner monologue was 'What to have for lunch? Ow, my stomach hurts. I shouldn't have had that for lunch. What to have for dinner?' And so on. But now, since having a son, a primordial protectiveness has kicked in. Just today I was crossing the street with him and thought, 'I will kill any driver who tries to jump this light.'"

"But you've always been full of race," I say.

"Indiscriminate rage," he says. "B
Boyke Rahardian
We all love happy losers, and Jonathan Goldstein is one. Reflecting on potential, "I've always wanted to feel like my life was rife with potential, but now, as the garbage truck outside grows louder, it only feels rife with potential garbage." His writing is funny, not outrageously because he's not a comedian but a humorist, "A humorist is a comedian who doesn't necessarily make you laugh." But just enough to induce a smile while realizing we too are like him sometimes: worry too much about our ...more
Matthew
Jul 20, 2014 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Jonathan Goldstein creates my favorite podcast of all time: Wiretap. For that reason, I was a little nervous to read this book because part of what makes the podcast brilliant is the tone/sound quality. Would the entertainment translate well to a book?

I was relieved to enjoy this book as much as I did. It's a quick read; every chapter contains little snippets of commentary from the week as Jonathan creeps closer to turning 40 years old.

4.5 stars. Before reading the book, though, you should defin
Shawna
Nov 02, 2012 Shawna rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Really enjoyed this book by Jonathan Goldstein. As I'm sure most people who've read/are going to read this book know Jonathan because of his radio program Wiretap which airs on CBC Radio. If you're looking for the always entertaining and oftentimes depressing stories with familiar characters Buzz, Dina, Gregor, Tucker and of course Howard, you will not be disappointed. Chronicling the 50 weeks leading up to his 40th birthday, Jonathan reflects on the life behind him and what may lie ahead with h ...more
Roxanna Muller
Oct 13, 2013 Roxanna Muller rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
What? I didn't like this book. Why did I rate it five stars? I don't think I would have done that? Does Goodreads come behind and skew the numbers on these things? WTH? Was this just some fluke where I was feeling charitable that day? Well, I've caught it, and will fix it now. Anyways, his voice was inconsistent and inauthentic, he contradicted himself and manipulated events to fit with punchlines. Overall, it felt like he is either being dishonest with the audience or dishonest with himself. No ...more
Haley Mathiot
Jan 08, 2014 Haley Mathiot rated it did not like it
Is it bad that it took me a year to get to reading this book? Does that say something about me, or the book? Who knows.

Upon starting this bok I admit I had high expectations. I’m fairly spoiled when it comes to reading good books. And if a book isn’t something I like, I figure life is too short to waste my time reading it. The thing about this book is it was mildly entertaining, but if I want to read a book of funny personal essays, I’m going to read David Sedaris or the like. Sorry Mr. Goldstei
Jakelene (friendsarebread)
This was a really nice book. Like, it's just enjoyable. There isn't much plot and it doesn't get overly deep or depressing, but Goldstein's musings about life are interesting and often enlightening. If you need plot or direction in your books, this maybe isn't the best book for you.

I liked that this was an easy-going read that just didn't put much pressure on me. Honestly, this was just nice and really refreshing after some of my recent reads.
Patricia Gallant
Sep 04, 2012 Patricia Gallant rated it it was ok
I haven't read too many books that really made me laugh. I believe a lot of humour is in the delivery, the written word doesn't quite cut it. I didn't find this book hilarously funny. There was one joke that gave me a good chuckle, and there were a couple of paragraphs at the end that were profound. Other than that, this book is hardly memorable.
Bookwormjh
Sep 05, 2013 Bookwormjh rated it really liked it
Hilarious writing by Jonathan Goldstein of CBC Radio's Wiretap. In the year leading up to his 40th birthday, Jonathan invites us into his angst and humour-filled world. Like the radio show, the book is filled with conversations and interactions between Jonathan and his quirky friends and family. If you enjoy quirky, dark humour, you'll love this book. Tender and hilarious!
Joelle Anthony
Jun 18, 2013 Joelle Anthony rated it really liked it
On some levels, I really enjoyed this book a lot. I do think some of the humour is more guy humour - but not in that obnoxious way a lot of guys write, just more applicable/understandable. It has an odd obsession with food, as if his life really revolves around what he eats, which is often quite disgusting. Overall, it was very funny in a quiet way, and I'm glad I read it.
Young
Jun 15, 2013 Young rated it really liked it
I love listening to Jonathan Goldstein on CBC radio's Wiretap and you can hear his voice in this book. some parts made me laugh out loud. I particularly loved the riff on how much each person in the family loves the new baby as well as the one on baldness. too funny. If you enjoy David Sedaris then Jonathan Goldstein is a perfect read.
Tazeen
Apr 28, 2013 Tazeen rated it really liked it
No seriously, this is the book I needed to read because the writer was going through the same existential crisis that is my regular everyday mood.
It was snarky, introspective and intelligent - people may find it a little morose at time but hey, this is how the real life is. Get on with the program.
  • Don't Kiss Me: Stories
  • The Beautiful Anthology
  • New Queer Cinema: The Director's Cut
  • Quests of Shadowind: Sky Shifter (Young Adult Series - Book 1)
  • Finder Library Volume 2
  • Every Contact Leaves a Trace
  • Jimmy Stu Lives!
  • Norman Bray, In the Performance of His Life
  • Hungry: What Eighty Ravenous Guys Taught Me about Life, Love, and the Power of Good Food
  • The Devil Made Me Do It
  • Apocalypse for Beginners
  • A Counterfeit Betrothal/The Notorious Rake (Waite, #2-3)
  • Antonia Lively Breaks The Silence
  • Gangsterland (Ink Portal Adventure #1)
  • The Doomsday Survival Handbook: A Bucket List for Every Conceivable Apocalypse
  • Skinny Dipping in Daylight
  • Me Funny
  • Kanji-Kan (Puzzle Book 1)
Radio Work

Many of Goldstein's pieces have been featured on the PRI radio show This American Life where he is a contributing editor. From 2000 to 2002 he was also a producer of the show.

Currently, Goldstein hosts a show on CBC Radio One called WireTap, a program featuring stories told over the phone. He was also the host of the CBC summer radio program Road Dot Trip in 2000 and has contributed to s
More about Jonathan Goldstein...

“How do you get over a first love?” he asks.
“You never do,” Howard says. “It just stays with you and becomes a part of who you are.”
1 likes