Start by marking “I'll Seize the Day Tomorrow” as Want to Read:
I'll Seize the Day Tomorrow

I'll Seize the Day Tomorrow

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  369 ratings  ·  75 reviews
I'll Seize the Day Tomorrow is the story of Jonathan Goldstein's journey to find some great truth on his road to forty.

In a series of wonderfully funny stories, the host of CBC's WireTap recounts the highs and lows of his last year in his thirties. Throughout the year, Goldstein asks weighty questions that would stump a person less seasoned. For example: What is it about a
Published October 9th 2012 by Penguin Canada

To ask other readers questions about I'll Seize the Day Tomorrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'll Seize the Day Tomorrow

Sterlingcindysu
These are the thoughts of a man turning 40, but really, they sounded like those of a man turning 60. Maybe there's not much difference if you don't have any kids to complain about college bills in your 40s. Some people are just born "old" and I think JG is one of them. Considering how often he's drinking coffee in the book he never seems to have much energy.

None of this is to say that it's not funny--it is. I've never heard of the author before, so all his jokes, experiences, etc are new to me.
Donna Parker
Since I esteem the interesting view on life offered by Jonathan Goldstein I was prepared to esteem this book, and I did, esteem it, like it, love it, ingest it, delight in it, suchlike, but it actually did something else, gasp, it made me think, no, not because it was profound or deep, but quite the opposite. The very thought running-oningness, the very shallow nothingness of it made me ruminate. Perhaps because I could see myself in this, not the actual situations, but the vague meanderings of ...more
CeCe
I entered to win a galley of I’ll Seize the Day Tomorrow because I liked the snarky title and the cover was bread and cheese (two things that really do it for me apparently). I did not know ahead of time what this book was about or who Jonathan Goldstein was but alas, I won and curiously began reading.

This book follows Jonathan over the course of the year before he turns 40. Jonathan is a middle aged man, author, comedian, and radio producer. Being a twenty-something woman and accountant myself
Davida
My favorite kind of book: smart, funny, sad, introspective, deep yet shallow at times as well. I learned what "Weltschmerz" means from this book. Look it up!

Here are some of my other favorite quotes:

from the very first page:

"Though we pretend otherwise, we're all our ages at once. I decide to start putting my shoes on the wrong feet whenever I need to remind myself of that. To this end, I will also take up skipping, though only late at night when no one is around. This, too, will make me feel y
Frederic  Germay
"I'll Seize the Day Tomorrow" is a top-notch read, almost Vonnegutian in a way. Goldstein's book seems like a literary adaptation of Curb Your Enthusiasm, except all of Goldstein's friends are Larry Davids and he's the bumbling buffoon upon which the hilarious rudeness gets heaped. I recently did an interview with author and he described himself as a schlimazel surrounded by schlemiels. Katoves aside, this schlocky schmendrick views Goldstein as more of a maven mentsch.

And if you haven't listen
Sonya
I recognized a lot of the stories from Wiretap episodes, and enjoyed them just as much in reading as hearing Jonathan Goldstein narrate them on the radio. A fun (and hella fast!) read. I just started it this morning! #triplespacing #fatmargins
Matthew
Jonathan Goldstein creates my favorite podcast of all time: Wiretap. For that reason, I was a little nervous to read this book because part of what makes the podcast brilliant is the tone/sound quality. Would the entertainment translate well to a book?

I was relieved to enjoy this book as much as I did. It's a quick read; every chapter contains little snippets of commentary from the week as Jonathan creeps closer to turning 40 years old.

4.5 stars. Before reading the book, though, you should defin
Edward
I've listened to the Wiretap show for several years now and really like the characters, so I went into this book expecting to really enjoy it.

Jonathan comes across as more angsty than I perceived in the show; I'm not sure if this is a more accurate reflection of who he really is, but he had some interesting concerns. When you reach a milestone, are you where you thought you'd be in life? What if you're not? How do you evaluate your life if you're not?

I really got a laugh out of Gregor's forewo
Craig Barner
I found myself laughing as I read "I'll Seize the Day Tomorrow." Some humor I have read made me smirk or snicker. Jonathan Goldstein caused me to laugh and even guffaw. Those reactions are not easy to achieve through the medium of a book.

Goldstein is approaching his 40th birthday without a wife, kids or house, so he decides to write "I'll Seize the Day Tomorrow." The idea is good, so maybe his youth isn't so dried up after all. I'm in the same boat as he is but older and without a book under my
guiltlessreader
Originally posted on my blog Guiltless Reading

So I got this one thinking that I could relate (hint: I'm nearing a round figure myself). But then there are so many dissimilarities that I started out with just a bit of trepidation -- was I ready to listen to a single male yap about his utter hopelessness and aimless life? Would I at least get a good laugh, or would I be forcing myself to find humour in things I couldn't relate to ... like the McRib? (I have never eaten a McRib in my life!)

As I sta
Kate
Aug 12, 2014 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the over-analytical bearded
Recommended to Kate by: Ira Glass?
"Even a beard is not enough to cover up the truth of who you are."

"Back at my office, the sadness I feel for having looked forward to the Melba toast overwhelms the happiness I feel while eating the Melba toast. Overall, I am left feeling pretty even."

"A grape is a raisin that forgot to die."

"Sometimes knowing how to read can be a burden."

"I'm not exactly in the moment, but somewhere adjacent to it."

"Death is the impossibility of possibility."

"What is it about beards and sadness that they go so
Jeffrey
I read this book because I'm 39, and I was thinking that it would be interesting to see how a humorist would portray himself in his last year before turning 40. I enjoyed several of the chapters, laughing at many of the antidotes Jonathan Goldstein shared. It is a good book, but not great, and worthy of 3.5 stars.
Betty
Exactly the kind of humour light-hearted reading I needed after reading the sobering serious Orenda. If you like David Sedaris' books - you'll love this one. And if you appreciate Jonathan Goldstein's quirky sense of humour on CBC's Wiretap, you will laugh (or at least giggle) at some of his unusual musings in this little book of strange insights.
Rebecca
I never read anything by Jonathan Goldstein before. I didn't know who he was when I read this book. As I picked up I was just hoping it would be as good as David Sedaris, because he is one of my favorites.

Then I noted that on the cover of "I'll Seize the Day Tomorrow" David Sedaris is promoting the book! Then I was excited.

The book is written in chapters and each one is based on one week as Goldstein counts down his 39th year, approaching his 40th birthday with a lot of dry humor and a preoccu
Ann Douglas
A must-read for fans of Jonathan Goldstein's CBC Radio show Wiretap. You'll encounter many of the same quirky characters who populate the radio show (no surprise here, given that the book repurposes a lot of that material). Creative and fun.
Lana.
Jun 14, 2013 Lana. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Wiretap lovers who love it for Jonathan
Dear Jonathan,

I want to write like you. But I also don't want to be sad. Is it possible to do / be both?

Those who listen to CBC's Wiretap, will gladly embrace Jonathan Goldstein's latest book which chronicles the year of his 39th to 40th birthday in journal-like pensées. Included also are a number of short stories that have been heard on the show, inserted among the weeks.

I for one am glad Jonathan didn't take Gregor's advice to "pack it with sex" and "nudity", instead writing on the weight o
Jennifer Bahorski
This book was recommended to me as a funny, light book ..especially appropriate for people like me, who JUST turned 40 this year. So, it's a memoir of a guy's life ...written out in a journal style...accounting the days of his 39th year...counting down until he hits 40. What a whiner. It's like 50 Shades of a Dude I Would NEVER be interested in. He's feeling like he hasn't accomplished much in his life and laments about this every entry. Some of the entries are just narratives of something munda ...more
Nessa Starfish
i enjoyed reading it aloud to my roommate who has never heard wire tap, but i think she enjoyed it more than i did because goldstein's "humourist" work is best served auditorily in my opinion. maybe next time i'll get the audio book instead.
Tea Leaf
As a woman in my late twenties, I was disturbed and overwhelmed by how connected I felt to Goldstein's voice, Particularly in his sentiments regarding post-move unpacking: "...it's a state of grace where all things are permissible. For instance, this evening I ate takeout pizza off a cardboard box while drinking wine out of a soup pot (like a cowboy!) and I watched the tv on the floor beside me, inches from my face (like being at a drive-in!)". Immediately after reading this I wanted to drink wi ...more
Sean Kelly
Alright, I'll admit to reading a book based solely on a review I heard on the radio. In my own defence, the reviewer made Goldstein's "I'll Seize The Day Tomorrow" sound waaaaaaay funnier than it is. There are some parts that warrant a chuckle, but it is not nearly as funny as some reviewers will have you believe. In fact, the characters are downright annoying at times, leading this reader to hope they were only based LOOSELY on close associates of the author. The premise had so much going for i ...more
Tara
Favorite line:
"That's why people have kids," he says, growing sombre. "Before I had mine, my inner monologue was 'What to have for lunch? Ow, my stomach hurts. I shouldn't have had that for lunch. What to have for dinner?' And so on. But now, since having a son, a primordial protectiveness has kicked in. Just today I was crossing the street with him and thought, 'I will kill any driver who tries to jump this light.'"

"But you've always been full of race," I say.

"Indiscriminate rage," he says. "B
Raymond Nakamura
I like listening to Wiretap and this is like part of that with the interactions between strange friends. Set up like a diary, with a kind of theme for each week. Funny and odd and thoughtful. I'm never sure what to believe.
Boyke Rahardian
We all love happy losers, and Jonathan Goldstein is one. Reflecting on potential, "I've always wanted to feel like my life was rife with potential, but now, as the garbage truck outside grows louder, it only feels rife with potential garbage." His writing is funny, not outrageously because he's not a comedian but a humorist, "A humorist is a comedian who doesn't necessarily make you laugh." But just enough to induce a smile while realizing we too are like him sometimes: worry too much about our ...more
A.
Quick read. If you are familiar with the author's radio program you will have a good idea if the tone. Some added interest for me as I am in the months leading up to my fortieth.
Sara
Very funny writer. I really enjoyed this book.
Shawna
Feb 26, 2013 Shawna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Really enjoyed this book by Jonathan Goldstein. As I'm sure most people who've read/are going to read this book know Jonathan because of his radio program Wiretap which airs on CBC Radio. If you're looking for the always entertaining and oftentimes depressing stories with familiar characters Buzz, Dina, Gregor, Tucker and of course Howard, you will not be disappointed. Chronicling the 50 weeks leading up to his 40th birthday, Jonathan reflects on the life behind him and what may lie ahead with h ...more
Joelle Anthony
On some levels, I really enjoyed this book a lot. I do think some of the humour is more guy humour - but not in that obnoxious way a lot of guys write, just more applicable/understandable. It has an odd obsession with food, as if his life really revolves around what he eats, which is often quite disgusting. Overall, it was very funny in a quiet way, and I'm glad I read it.
Bookwormjh
Hilarious writing by Jonathan Goldstein of CBC Radio's Wiretap. In the year leading up to his 40th birthday, Jonathan invites us into his angst and humour-filled world. Like the radio show, the book is filled with conversations and interactions between Jonathan and his quirky friends and family. If you enjoy quirky, dark humour, you'll love this book. Tender and hilarious!
Young
I love listening to Jonathan Goldstein on CBC radio's Wiretap and you can hear his voice in this book. some parts made me laugh out loud. I particularly loved the riff on how much each person in the family loves the new baby as well as the one on baldness. too funny. If you enjoy David Sedaris then Jonathan Goldstein is a perfect read.
Patricia Gallant
I haven't read too many books that really made me laugh. I believe a lot of humour is in the delivery, the written word doesn't quite cut it. I didn't find this book hilarously funny. There was one joke that gave me a good chuckle, and there were a couple of paragraphs at the end that were profound. Other than that, this book is hardly memorable.
  • Don't Kiss Me: Stories
  • A Counterfeit Betrothal/The Notorious Rake (Waite, #2-3)
  • Apocalypse for Beginners
  • The Beautiful Anthology
  • Quests of Shadowind: Sky Shifter (Young Adult Series - Book 1)
  • No Animals We Could Name: Stories
  • Hungry: What Eighty Ravenous Guys Taught Me about Life, Love, and the Power of Good Food
  • That Book about Harvard: Surviving the World's Most Famous University, One Embarrassment at a Time
  • Every Contact Leaves a Trace
  • Antonia Lively Breaks The Silence
  • Smart Chefs Stay Slim: Lessons in Eating and Living From America's Best Chefs
  • New Queer Cinema: The Director's Cut
  • Jimmy Stu Lives!
  • Gangsterland (Ink Portal Adventure #1)
  • Serial Date (Leine Basso, #1)
  • The First Rule of Swimming: A Novel
  • Pale Horses (Jade de Jong, #4)
  • Pirates of the Danube: The Erotic Adventures of Pepper MacOralby
Radio Work

Many of Goldstein's pieces have been featured on the PRI radio show This American Life where he is a contributing editor. From 2000 to 2002 he was also a producer of the show.

Currently, Goldstein hosts a show on CBC Radio One called WireTap, a program featuring stories told over the phone. He was also the host of the CBC summer radio program Road Dot Trip in 2000 and has contributed to s
More about Jonathan Goldstein...
Ladies and Gentlemen, The Bible! Lenny Bruce is Dead Schmelvis: In Search of Elvis Presley's Jewish Roots Ladies And Gentlemen The Bible! Peoples of an Almighty God: Competing Religions in the Ancient World

“How do you get over a first love?” he asks.
“You never do,” Howard says. “It just stays with you and becomes a part of who you are.”
1 likes