Start by marking “Man Up!: Tales of My Delusional Self-Confidence” as Want to Read:
Man Up!: Tales of My Delusional Self-Confidence

Man Up!: Tales of My Delusional Self-Confidence

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  3,382 Ratings  ·  324 Reviews
As a young kid growing up in a farm town, Ross Mathews might as well have wished for a pet unicorn or a calorie-free cookie tree to grow in his front yard. Either of those far-fetched fantasies would have been more likely to come true than his real dream: working in television in Hollywood, California. Seriously, that stuff just doesn't happen to people like Ross. But gues ...more
ebook
Published May 7th 2013 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Man Up!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man Up!

Janine
I JUST LOST THE REVIEW I WAS WRITING. THIS MAKES ME SO MAD.

An abbreviated version of what I just wrote: I didn't actually finish this book. I skipped the last disc, but I'm counting it as read AND giving it 3 stars, because I did enjoy what I got through. The biggest setback for me was what a big fan of alliteration Mathews is, and that got grating. Plus, the last disc started with a chapter about Madonna, and I kind of just didn't care.

That being said, I really did enjoy this audiobook overal
Heather
May 07, 2013 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, 2013
Ross Matthews is right about one thing – any self-confidence he feels about his writing skills is without a doubt delusional. He’d have to be out of his mind to think that readers will actually be entertained by the garbage he passes off as a book.

These comedic memoir-esque type books seem to be growing in popularity these days, but I still consider some of Chelsea Handler’s and David Sedaris’ works to be the golden standard for this genre. That said, many people have come close to replicating a
Dian Romonosky
Jan 08, 2014 Dian Romonosky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only took me a few days to read, mostly because I finished about half of it on a 5 hour plane ride. To sum it up, Ross and I would totally be best friends. The way he writes is very much like my thought process and there were multiple times that I would find myself laughing out loud. It was also very interesting to see how he got his start on Leno, showing that hard work can actually pay off....or just being at the right place at the right time, all while letting your personality show through.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

From being bullied as a kid to breaking into stardom as “Ross the Intern” and everything in between – Ross Mathews shares how he has “manned up” to various situations life has thrown him.

I’m not a Leno fan (but I can’t WAIT for Fallon to take over the timeslot, baby!) and have a love/hate relationship with Chelsea Handler (specifically, I hate her face and her voice, but I love reading her books), so my knowledge of Ross Mathews is fro
Yodamom
Ross the Intern, on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno that is how I first became aware of this funny amazing human being. He was this laughing, shining man who almost floated across the stage with enthusiasm. I fell for him and watched for him everynight. He is a talented, a remarkable voice and an excellent interviewer. he is able to get 'stars' to say and do the most 'human' things.
As I read the book I was struck by how difficult his road has been. He was bullied as a child, and tried to fit in,
Erin
Had I the good sense to stop after one disc, this may have been a 3-4 star review. For the record I think Ross is adorbs. His writing, not so much.

The narrative was just way too bogged down with superlatives, exaggerations, cheesy alliteration, and long-winded lists of synonyms. When every single detail is THE most/best/craziest thing you've ever seen in the whole wide world/your entire existence, NOTHING seems important.

Leslie
Jun 25, 2013 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure about these kinds of books anymore. I usually get so excited to read books written by people who I find just so funny! For example: Ellen DeGeneres, Tina Fey, Chelsea Handler, Mindy Kaling.. So far it hasn't been working for me. I have been disappointed more than anything.

I love Ross Mathews. He's hilarious and I just love how he owns himself and doesn't care what other people think. I was excited for this book because I figured he was going to knock it out of the park! Well... I
Heidi The Hippie Reader
I've been reading a lot of heavy stuff lately and I needed a bit of fluff. I'd venture to say that there are very few books as fluffy as this one. :) It's one silly bit after another and it's just what I needed.

Ross skates across deeper issues a couple of times (he mentions that he lost his father at a young age) but he doesn't go into it, instead he talks about overdosing on THC when his father was dying in the hospital. So, though there are no great introspective moments in Man Up!, it is perf
Erin
Dec 31, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ross Mathews is not the type of celebrity that one can be sure everyone knows about. I wasn't a regular "Tonight Show" watcher, but came across him in bits and pieces on internet clips. He's as charming here as he appears on television - stand up comedians usually don't translate into funny in books, but there's something about Ross's child-like persona that I totally buy and enjoy.....this wasn't great literature, of course, but a good distraction for waiting rooms and the like.

So, if you are
Bailey
This was a completely hilarious read with a sprinkle of very heart wrenching moments. I really liked how Ross wrote as if he were having a conversation with the reader. I thoroughly enjoyed this book from cover to cover. Not to mention I have an autographed copy, which made it even cooler.
Fran Court
Mar 11, 2017 Fran Court rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this 4 as I love Ross and love his story but it was quite short and light, I'd have liked it to be a little bit meatier but still enjoyable.
Alexandra
Sep 18, 2013 Alexandra rated it it was amazing
Ross Mathews is best known for his role on Jay Leno, Chelsea Handler, his new talk show 'Hello Ross', and his high-pitched, unique voice. I first saw Ross Mathews on Chelsea Handler's show and instantly fell in love with him. He's sassy, witty, funny and embraces his homosexuality. He's my ideal best friend. And somehow this book made me like him even more.

Ross Mathews just found a way to find humor in everything and he can now look back on embarrassing or bad moments and laugh. He also found a
Adam Webling
Man Up! Tales of My Delusional Self-Confidence is a must read for all Ross Mathews fans. Full of stories from across his life, Man Up! will fill you with lots of things you never knew about him. It expanded on stories I’d heard on his podcast and definitely revealed things I wasn’t expecting. And, of course, it was all told with his trademark humour that had me giggling to myself as I turned each page.
Amandalyn
May 20, 2013 Amandalyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobios
I loved this autobiography. I took it on vacation and finished it up when I got home. I have loved Ross ever since he was Ross the Intern on the Jay Leno show. He hails from a town less than an hour away from where I grew up in WA state. The book was just like him-funny, energetic, and over the top. I LOL'd in many places and it was just an easy fun read!
Nicole
Jun 19, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bios
I've read a ton of these types of books and usually end liking the author a lot less afterward (Ahem...Tina Fey)...

But this book was actually pretty funny...laugh out loud funny at some parts (pot butter). Worth the read...it's a quickie, not too deep and I actually like him a little more now.

Helps if you know who Ross is though...the voice is killer...even just in print
Bridget
May 08, 2013 Bridget rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-on-kindle
Not as many laugh out loud moments as I'd expected. Ross Matthews always cracks me up on Chelsea Lately and still does but this book didn't blow me away. Maybe I should have gotten the audio book. Reading his book in my mind in my voice just didn't do it justice.
Jamie Lehessalo
Sep 16, 2014 Jamie Lehessalo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a great read, kept me laughing every time I picked it up. Ross Matthews's writing style made me feel like I was literally having a conversation with the TV personality I have come to love. Great light read with an underlying message we all need - just go for it!
AJ
May 12, 2013 AJ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keeper
I love Ross Mathews! This book about some of his adventures in life is great fun, but also inspirational, with lots of life lessons about accepting yourself as you are.
Christina Bayko
Mar 24, 2017 Christina Bayko rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nope
I love Ross, but this "memoir" was pretty hard to read. As a fan who listens to his podcast "Straight Talk with Ross," I was expecting "Man Up!" to capture Ross' humour, wit and intelligence, and it did none of that.

The book was too over the top in a lot of ways; too many cliches, too many hyperboles and too much content that just was not interesting (i.e. the Gwyneth Paltrow chapter). Chapter after chapter seemed to dumb down Ross, and was a poor reflection on who he is and what he has accompl
AJ LeBlanc
Quick and dirty celebrity memoir review:

If you like Ross Mathews, read this book.
If you really like Ross Mathews, listen to this book.
If you do not like Ross Mathews, why are you even looking at this book?

And now, my thoughts:

I adore Ross Mathews, although I just this second realized I’ve been spelling his last name wrong. I’m a fan of Chelsea Lately and always love when he’s on the round table. This is where I first “met” him, if you will. I knew he was on the Tonight Show, but I didn’t kn
Victoria
May 02, 2013 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For this and other reviews please visit Zemfirka Blogs...

This is far from my usual read but I decided to give it a chance anyway and I have no regrets. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised to find it both entertaining and funny. I have often found myself thinking that I might really enjoy one of those many comedians’ biographies while passing the aforementioned book section in my local bookstore, but have never really given in to the idea until now.

I had a promotional credit to spare on my Audib
Abigail Wildes
Mar 02, 2017 Abigail Wildes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious!
Greg W
Aug 27, 2016 Greg W rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book because I really like Ross Mathews, but I found a lot of it a chore to get through. It feels like Ross probably had about 10 editors and ghost-writers help him with it. Almost every sentence tries to be a punch line. There is so much pun-filled alliteration, nostalgic pop culture references, and stereotype based humour, it makes the book feel like one big joke, instead of a book full of funny jokes. There is so much cutesy word-play that it becomes a bit cringe- ...more
Saleena Davidson
Had to take a moment and enjoy a trashy bio....although this one is more fun & camp than trash. I learned some interesting facts about Ross Mathews and enjoyed the book.
Christina
I'm a huge fan of Ross Mathews, which started when he was just "Ross the Intern" on The Tonight Show. His unapologetic bubbly personality was so endearing and hilarious. I've also loved watching him on the Chelsea Lately round table. He is very funny and adorable, but really shines when he sits in for Chelsea Handler and conducts guest interviews. Have you seen his interview with Mark-Paul Gosselaar? Equal parts awesome and awkward and Mark-Paul just went with it. Ross just makes everyone feel s ...more
Emily Turner-hagman
This was a bit of an impulse buy but I am glad that I listened to some of Ross Mathews' story. I first heard of this book while I was listening to Shane Dawson's podcast. Mathews was a guest on the show and I fell in love with his personality and his humor. I had heard about Mathews before. I knew that he was involved with Jay Leno and Chelsea Handler but I honestly didn't pay too much attention to him. I feel horrible for saying that now after listening to his book and learning more about this ...more
Mediaman
Ross Mathews doesn't have enough life experience to write a book so this is basically a quick way to rip money off of you if you enjoy this guy on TV. The book proves that he has almost nothing to talk about. The first half is kind of funny, but then he spends an entire chapter talking about his dog. And hunting. And ice skating. And eating butter laced with pot. None of it in any way interesting. So you pay a lot of money to read less than 100 worthwhile small doubled-spaced pages (out of a tot ...more
Pam
Dec 07, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I first discovered Ross Matthews while watching The Chelsea Handler Show. He was always funny and sweet. So, when I decided to listen to Man Up! I expected it to be more of the same, funny and sweet. It was. But it was also so much more than that. He tells an excellent story, completely funny and entertaining.

He talks about growing up in a small town, his dreams and wishes for being in Hollywood and being a talk show host. It sounds silly and impossible and yet he made it happen. After listenin
Michael
May 24, 2013 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ross Mathews started on the tonight show as an intern and he takes you on a journey through his life, through all of his ups and downs. This book brings a very good message to everyone that read it; to man up and always be yourself and don't let people put you down for it. It is also laugh out loud funny. With each new chapter came a new story that was even more funny than the last. I loved learning about Ross' life and all of his struggles that he had to go through. I have been following Ross e ...more
Gina
May 26, 2013 Gina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Ross Mathews!! This book is super funny and wonderful! Great book.I discovered Ross Mathews when he started doing entertainment interviews for Jay Leno, and have been following him ever since. Happy to see him on Chelsea Handler's late night talk show, and when I heard he had a book coming out, I wasted no time in getting my hands on a copy! Ross not only tells it like it is, but does so with a style all his own, and leaves you laughing at the many situations that he gets himself into. Th ...more
  • It Takes Balls: Dating Single Moms and Other Confessions from an Unprepared Single Dad
  • My Inappropriate Life: Some Material Not Suitable for Small Children, Nuns, or Mature Adults
  • Love Him or Leave Him, But Don't Get Stuck With the Tab: Hilarious Advice for Real Women
  • I Can Barely Take Care of Myself: Tales From a Happy Life Without Kids
  • Little Nuggets of Wisdom
  • Tip It!: The World According to Maggie
  • Life As I Blow It: Tales Of Love, Life & Sex . . . Not Necessarily In That Order
  • Dirty Daddy: The Chronicles of a Family Man Turned Filthy Comedian
  • Go Big or Go Home: Taking Risks in Life, Love, and Tattooing
  • Grin and Bear It: How to Be Happy No Matter What Reality Throws Your Way
  • This Lovely Life
  • Bad Habits: Confessions of a Recovering Catholic
  • He Is Risen (The Adventures of Jesus Christ)
  • Diane: A Signature Life: My Adventures in Fashion, Business, and Life

“There’s no such thing as luck. Luck is when opportunity meets preparation.” 4 likes
“My chicken parmesan tasted a little saltier than I would've liked, undoubtedly because it was seasoned with my tears.” 3 likes