Start by marking “Papadaddy's Book for New Fathers: Advice to Dads of All Ages” as Want to Read:
Papadaddy's Book for New Fathers: Advice to Dads of All Ages

Papadaddy's Book for New Fathers: Advice to Dads of All Ages

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Clyde Edgerton has four kids ranging in age from 5 to 30 years old. After three decades of fatherhood, there are certain things he has learned during his tenure. His way of raising his children involves, of course, lots of humor (don't curse near a mimicking child), but also the sound advice of a lifelong educator (you can't start reading to a baby too early).

With PAPADAD
ebook
Published May 7th 2013 by Little, Brown and Company (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Papadaddy's Book for New Fathers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Papadaddy's Book for New Fathers

Trish
There is a moment in every parent’s life when they wish they had someone to talk to about their child’s behavior—and their own response to it. They may not take the advice, but it’s nice to know what other, experienced folk do that seems to work well. Clyde Edgerton has a comfortable way of raising those pesky issues of childrearing and making us laugh about how we solve (or do not solve) them. He makes a great deal of sense, and makes us more comfortable with our sometimes creative solutions. M ...more
Shelli
I won this book for my husband to read but found myself reading it first lol it was very interesting, very true and had some very funny moments!! Enjoyable!! I definitely recommend if you are a father of any age to buy this book!! I am so glad I won it!! Thank you*
Matt Simpson
Aside from offering some useful (though I have to admit, untested by me) parenting advice, this book is funny. How funny, you ask?

In the middle of the book, there is a section that highlights some of the funny things the author’s children have said or done. One of these anecdotes is so funny, I started laughing out loud on the train home. Which is really not that uncommon, right? I’ve seen it before.

Well, not this time. The upper floors of the train are “Quiet Zones”, meaning no loud conversati
Sandi Burch
5 out of 5 ***** review for "Papadaddy's Book for New Fathers" by Clyde Edgerton

With PAPADADDY'S BOOK FOR NEW FATHERS, a great storytell
"Jeff" Hall
I'm female, retired, and have grown children. So why did I sign up for the "Papadaddy's Book for New Fathers" giveaway? Easy answer - the author is Clyde Edgerton. Edgerton's fiction is filled with humor, wit, and wisdom. He paints true pictures of Southern life and especially of small town characters. If you've not read any of his books, get started!

This new book consists of, as the subtitle suggests, "Advice to Dads of All Ages." Edgerton has four kids, ages 5 to 30, and he has this fatherhood
Stella
It was a "fast, cute read. Although expensive for what's in it - if I had to purchase it. Brings a few smiles to your face especially around "potty issues". Every mom & dad have had their child "poop in the tub" while attempting to bath them so.... the reminder does make you chuckle.{now} I will pass this book along to new parents as there are lots of things in the book that will either help prepare them or should I say "warn them" about.

I think this book would do really well if marketed in
Kathy L.
I think this book lacked direction. It alternated giving good advice with humerous antidotes and it tried to cover predelivery into teenage angst. I think it would have been better if it had just stuck to the humerous stories from predelivery into preteens. Some of the stories were very funny and some of the advice was spot on especially assembling the crib in the babies room. I won this in a goodreads giveaway. My children are grown but my son is soon to be a father so I intend to pass it onto ...more
Jack Bullion
Pleasantly surprised by how straightforward and useful the advice here was.
Jenna
---Received this book through Goodreads First Reads---
GREAT Perspective on parenting! Husband and I read this out loud to one another frequently laughing and nodding "That totally happens" to several excerpts. Loved every minute of it and recommended it to our expectant parent friends! It's a beautiful condensed version of the important aspects to remember when raising children, not a how-to book. Excellent!
Lyss Kay
I won this book through goodreads. I entered to win to get this book for my fiance. We are expecting our second child. He loved it. He rarely reads but got through this book fast! He read most of it out loud to me to share. It is a good book for parents of all ages. It can really teach you a lot even if you already have a child. It also has a decent amount of humor making it easier to read.
Chris
This book is filled with practical advice and information, but it is presented with so much humor that it's all very easy to read and remember. Edgerton is a brave man for raising a second set of kids later in life, but he's obviously loving it and is a great dad. If you weren't lucky enough to win a copy, like I was, buy or borrow one if you know anyone about to become a father.
Doug
Let me start by saying that Clyde Edgerton is one hell of a great writer, one of the funniest Southern writers out there today (read Raney). I bought this book because I'm a fan of his, not thinking that the book would actually be a how-to (albeit a funny one) book for fathers (why would I pay attention to the book's title?). Not a fan of how-to books, so I muddled through.
Tanya Coblentz
Apr 02, 2013 Tanya Coblentz rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All fathers
Haven't finished reading it yet as my son took it to read also, and he does NOT enjoy reading, but really likes this book. He is a teenage dad and likes that the advice in this book comes filled with humor. Thanks Clyde Edgerton for showing that you can be a good dad no matter what age you are!
Jin
This book is great. I'm not a mother but the advice was sound and reasonable. He writes with ease so you follow his prose without strenuous effort yet you take in what he wants to say. There were bits of humor throughout so no topic felt overly preachy like other advice books.
Dominic
I received this book as a first reads from goodreads, and as a mom to a young son I read it with my son's father. We both enjoyed the humor and took away some great lessons to use later on as our little one starts to get older.
Brianna
Adorably appropriate ^_^ I thought this was a wonderfully written book. The cute little drawings add character. This was received through the Goodreads First Reads giveaway, but it would make an excellent New Father gift!
Georgina
Funny and wise! Chris got it as a gift and I ended up reading it. Love the ideas for how to avoid 'factor bad.' I like the ideas in here about how to model behavior for children.
Joanne
PIcked this up thinking it might make a good birthday present for my dad, but it's mostly for new fathers and isn't that amusing.
Mark
Papadaddy's is spot on! Humorous look on fatherhood from day one.
Kerri Painter
Kerri Painter marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Manda
Manda marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Psy-Q: Test Yourself with More Than 80 Quizzes, Puzzles and Experiments for Everyday Life
  • Blanche Passes Go
  • The Cushion in the Road: Meditation and Wandering as the Whole World Awakens to Being in Harm's Way
  • City of Promises
  • What to Expect When You're Expected: A Fetus's Guide to the First Three Trimesters
  • The Complete Plays
  • Pale Horses (Jade de Jong, #4)
  • Baby Meets World: Suck, Smile, Touch, Toddle: A Journey Through Infancy
  • My Venice and Other Essays
  • The Great Northern Express: A Writer's Journey Home
  • My Life as a Foreign Country: A Memoir
  • The Prince, the Showgirl, and Me: Six Months on the Set With Marilyn and Olivier
  • Finding Oz: How L. Frank Baum Discovered the Great American Story
  • Nature Noir: A Park Ranger's Patrol in the Sierra
  • Sex, Death, and Fly-Fishing
  • One Foot in My Grave
  • The Blood Sugar Solution Cookbook: More than 175 Ultra-Tasty Recipes for Total Health and Weight Loss
  • Do Chocolate Lovers Have Sweeter Babies?: The Surprising Science of Pregnancy
Clyde Edgerton is widely considered one of the premier novelists working in the Southern tradition today, often compared with such masters as Eudora Welty and Flannery O'Connor.

Although most of his books deal with adult concerns--marriage, aging, birth and death--Edgerton's work is most profoundly about family. In books such as Raney, Walking Across Egypt, The Floatplane Notebooks, and Killer Dill
More about Clyde Edgerton...
Walking Across Egypt Raney The Bible Salesman The Floatplane Notebooks Lunch at the Piccadilly