Start by marking “Hand-Crafted Candy Bars: From-Scratch, All-Natural, Gloriously Grown-Up Confections” as Want to Read:

The beloved candy bars of childhood have grown up, but there is no need to go to the French Laundry to get your fix. Candy bar devotees Susie Norris and Susan Heeger show how to reinvent candy bars as they should be—thick and layered with nougat, crisp with toffee, and coated with fine chocolate. Familiar candy-store bars and other nostalgic favorites are re-created using ...more
Published March 19th 2013 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Hand-Crafted Candy Bars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hand-Crafted Candy Bars

Jun 04, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This was a Goodreads First Reads win.

If you are looking for a book to teach you how to make your own candy bars, this is the book for you. The authors' love of this craft shows in every detail of the book. They begin the book with discussion as to how they up with the idea of this book and end with a list of shopping resources. Instructions and education about various ingredients are discussed, as well as how to dress up the candy bar and packaging them. Their love of this craft shows in every d
Natasha
Oct 23, 2013 Natasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This book is beautiful! The art of candymaking may be intimidating, but this book makes you want to give it a shot. Not only is it filled with ideas you'd probably never think of on your own; its mouthwatering photography and charming layout make you want to read it cover-to-cover, even though it's a cookbook.

One of the aspects I appreciate the most is a frank discussion of the health aspects of eating candy. The authors propose that eating handmade candy in moderation, without unnecessary addit
Emily
May 23, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
**I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway.**

Chock full of practical advice for the aspiring confectioner and full of gorgeous photographs for those of us who just love to drool over chocolate, Hand-Crafted Candy Bars strikes me as being an obvious gift choice for chocolate lovers everywhere. This is one of those cookbooks that really make me want to get into the kitchen, even though I am skeptical that candy bar making is as easy as the writers make it sound (especially for those of us with
Nancy
Aug 02, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it
Yum, but I don't like the layout. Each recipe references several other pages and references, which is a headache when you're trying to use a cookbook. I understand that a lot of the recipes use the base recipe (ganache, for example) and it would be a pain to rewrite that for every recipe, but the flipping back and forth and timing becomes difficult when working from several different pages.
Shoshana
May 09, 2013 Shoshana rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Based on reading all the recipes and trying one, these are kind of a pain in the ass and a bit too sweet for me... but SO FUN and still so delicious! Here's my blog post about attempting the Snickers-a-likes: http://aclimaxofhope.blogspot.com/201...

I might not make these every week, but I'm excited to try more!
Nov 15, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: food
This book reminded me of when I was young and my grandparents would dedicate a room in their house to store all the homemade candies they made for Christmas. Yummy stuff! I might have to give the green-tea truffles a shot...
Ginny
Jun 10, 2013 Ginny rated it really liked it
Shelves: firstreads
I received this book as a First Reads review copy. I have never made candy, though I love to cook and especially bake. This book intrigues and inspires me to now try candy too. It is clear, easy to follow, and wonderful reading, too!
Marie
Nov 10, 2013 Marie rated it it was amazing

More usefully, the authors break down the description of each part of the candy bar and every ingredient and how to put them together. they are very frank and helpful. Also I'm craving some deluxe candy right now :-)
Deranged Pegasus
Apr 22, 2013 Deranged Pegasus marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
I am so thankful for Goodreads First Reads for allowing me to get this book. I have not yet had a chance to read it but once I do I will be sure to update this review.
Sabrina
May 10, 2013 Sabrina rated it it was amazing
I won this book with goodreads giveaways.

Amazing book and recipes just wish there was pictures for some recipes .
DeAnna
DeAnna rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
Jessica Tang
Jessica Tang rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Avis Black
Avis Black rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2014
Margaret  Orlando
Margaret Orlando rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Kristina Copeland
Kristina Copeland rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2015
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was ok
Oct 02, 2015
Diane Hall
Diane Hall rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2013
Vita
Vita rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2015
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2015
Coco_Chanel
Coco_Chanel rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2014
Gail
Gail rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2015
Trisha
Trisha rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
June Reisinger
June Reisinger rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Susan Treat
Susan Treat rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2014
Karil Whetstone
Karil Whetstone rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2013
Joseph Hickey
Joseph Hickey rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2013
Kayce McCarty
Kayce McCarty rated it did not like it
Dec 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Huntsville-Madiso...: Staff Pick - Hand Crafted Candy Bars 1 18 Feb 16, 2014 02:12PM
  • Bake It Like You Mean It: Gorgeous Cakes from Inside Out
  • Modern Art Desserts: Recipes for Cakes, Cookies, Confections, and Frozen Treats Based on Iconic Works of Art
  • Top Pot Hand-Forged Doughnuts: Secrets and Recipes for the Home Baker
  • Classic Snacks Made from Scratch: 70 Homemade Versions of Your Favorite Brand-Name Treats
  • World Class Cakes: 250 Classic Recipes from Boston Cream Pie to Madeleines and Muffins
  • Honest Pretzels: And 64 Other Amazing Recipes for Kids
  • Flour, Too: Indispensable Recipes for the Cafe's Most Loved Sweets & Savories
  • The Kitchen Garden Cookbook: Fresh and simple meals from your own hands
  • Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunchy Melt-in-Your-Mouth Cookies by Alice Medrich
  • The Best Homemade Kids' Lunches on the Planet: Make Lunches Your Kids Will Love with More Than 200 Deliciously Nutritious Meal Ideas
  • Momofuku Milk Bar
  • The Breath of a Wok
  • Thanksgiving
  • How to Bake: Complete Guide to Perfect Cakes, Cookies, Pies, Tarts, Breads, Pizzas, Muffins,
  • Celebrate Every Day: Recipes for Making the Most of Special Moments with Your Family
  • Amazing Cakes
  • Sky High: Irresistible Triple-Layer Cakes
  • Bon Appetit Desserts: The Cookbook for All Things Sweet and Wonderful
Susie Norris writes about food and culture. Her two books are CHOCOLATE BLISS (Random House, 2008) and HAND-CRAFTED CANDY BARS (Chronicle, 2013). She taught baking at Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts and ran an award-winning chocolate business in Los Angeles for 10 years.

Prior to her work in the food business, Susie was an executive at Disney/ABC, CBS, NBC and other networks where she super
More about Susie Norris...