Start by marking “Seagulls Don't Eat Pickles (Fish Finelli, #1)” as Want to Read:
Seagulls Don't Eat Pickles (Fish Finelli, #1)

Seagulls Don't Eat Pickles (Fish Finelli #1)

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  93 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
When bully Bryce Billings bets Fish Finelli that he can't find Captain Kidd's legendary long-lost treasure, Fish and his friends embark on a quest to find real-life pirate treasure. Between sneaking into the library to track down Captain Kidd's map, stowing away on a boat, and trespassing on an island, Fish and his friends have their work cut out for them. But will Fish ac ...more
Published April 16th 2013 by Chronicle Books (first published April 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Seagulls Don't Eat Pickles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seagulls Don't Eat Pickles

Ms. Yingling
Feb 13, 2013 Ms. Yingling rated it liked it
Seagulls Don't Eat Pickles: Fish Finelli Book 1Farber, Edna. Seagulls Don't Eat Pickles (Fish Finelli #1)

16 April 2013, Chronicle Books

ARC from Baker and Taylor

Fish and his friends Roger and T.J. have a lot going on-- between saving up money for a boat, battling bugs and trying to avoid Fish's princess-y little sister, they are busy boys. When the trio runs into the wealthy and obnoxious Bryce and claim to be hunting for Captain Kidd's treasure, Bryce bets them $50 they can't find it. Small chan
Brenda
Jul 23, 2013 Brenda rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Norman, known as Fish by his friends and family, has been fixing up an old boat with his pals Roger and T.J. Roger is on the right and T.J. is the one with the pickle in his hand on the left. Once the boat is finished, the trio plan to put on a Seagull motor boat engine then race in the Captain Kidd Classic. Fish has been saving up his money, but he is still about twenty-seven dollars shy of the fifty-four he needs for the motor. To make matters worse, Fish enters into a bet with bully Bryce Bil ...more
Alysia
Mar 15, 2015 Alysia rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, children-s-book
I received this book at SCIBA last October along with a million other ARC.
I have a strong opinion about children's book. (Yes! I am jumping on my soap box.) A children's book should give the young readers a few things:
1. Fun. That is always important to get them hooked.
2. An example of good behavior. (If not number 3)
3. An example of bad actions. If you do bad things then this will happen.
4. Good always does right. You don't have the good guys do bad things to prove their goodness. I know that d
Marge Keller
Jul 16, 2015 Marge Keller rated it liked it
Nothing wrong with the book. Good for younger readers. Few but good drawings. Nice little side bar facts. Piper reed with boy main characters.
Lindsey Gilbert
Hearing this was "a great boy's counterpart" to Ivy + Bean, I had very high hopes for this book. I am sad to say I was sorely disappointed.

Fish Finelli tells the tale of Fish and his friends Roger and T.J. trying to find a hidden treasure and beat the story's bully character, Bryce, at his bet. I enjoyed the different definitions sprinkled throughout the book. Other than that there was not anything original here.

The reason I gave this book such a low rating however, is the treatment of the cha
Caitlin C
Nov 05, 2014 Caitlin C rated it liked it
Fish Finelli: Seagulls Don't Eat Pickles by E. S. Farber is quite an interesting read; at first, it seems like a typical adventure/mystery chapter book for sister-bothering, trouble-getting-into boys and yet at the same time it feels like something completely new. The story revolves around a group of friends searching for the treasure of Captain Kidd and getting into all kinds of mischief along the way. But, they must find the treasure before a tall, dark, and mysterious "spy"/librarian and his ...more
Annette Vellenga
Jan 01, 2016 Annette Vellenga rated it really liked it

We just finished book one of the Fish Finelli Series, a boy with his friends living their lives in small town Whooping Hollow. My son likes these boys so much that he started reading the next book in the series on his own. :)

The characters are well developed, TJ is a bit of a funny lad... "Why does he like to eat ALL the time mom?" This is the one part of the story my lad didn't like .. food is so very important to TJ. The story is interesting. It flows well. The rivalry between Bryce and Fish i
Elissa Schaeffer
May 07, 2014 Elissa Schaeffer rated it did not like it
I'd heard this series described as an Ivy and Bean-type book with male characters. I have big, puffy hearts for Ivy + Bean so I was keen on reading this book as well.

Color me unimpressed.

After making an unwise bet with a local bully, Fish and his friends Roger and T.J. have two weeks to discover the location of Captain Kidd's treasure, rumored to be hidden somewhere in the area. There's lots in here that will appeal to boys--bugs, muck, goose poop humor, pirates, and more. Sprinkled throughout a
Steffi
Jun 12, 2016 Steffi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing Story!
Vera Godley
Nov 11, 2013 Vera Godley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won an advance reader copy and only wish it had been a finished copy. The illustrations in the ARC were not completed and, of course, AR Copies typically have textual changes. This book is too delightful for boys for this ARC to simply sit on a shelf or be trashed - it needs to be shared. Hence, my wishing it had been a finished copy.

Finelli and friends are involved in summer time boy stuff with gross boy-like-details. This group of friends are busily involved in funny action-packed activities
Fiction State Of Mind
Jul 14, 2016 Fiction State Of Mind rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
This is a perfect series to motivate young boys to read. Fish and his two best friends take a dare to search for a long lost pirate treasure. Each of the boys has a special skill that allows them to follow the clues others have missed. This book is very similiar to fun films like the Goonies. Loved it!!!
Akoss
Apr 19, 2016 Akoss rated it liked it
Shelves: all-mg, mg-summer
I really had no idea that Seagulls actually do not eat pickles. For real! Ha!
Book one in this series is full of action and the chapters are short which is perfect for the target audience. The book is more on the chapter book side and I loved the illustrations, along with the cool facts on the sides.
Fish and his friends make an interesting group. Everyone is different but their uniqueness played an important role in how they solved the mystery of Captain Kidd's treasure. The treasure hunt was dan
Sylvia
Apr 08, 2013 Sylvia rated it liked it
In this illustrated middle grade story, Fish Finelli is a smart, adventure-loving boy who sets off to find Captain Kidd's legendary lost treasure buried in a small island in Long Island sound. He and his buddies get into scrapes and near-disasters as they find a treasure map, avoid a Mystery Man on a similar quest, and arrive at Lyons Island to search for the treasure. What I liked about this book was the many factoids and illustrated side bars that gave interesting information, such as the hist ...more
Erin
2nd battle book done. It was a little better than I thought when I started but there were too many happy coincidences on this story for it to seem entirely plausible. Boys might like it. It's not too long either.
Kim
Sep 18, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it
Fun for treasure hunting wanna-be's! What could be better than searching for Captain Kidd's lost treasure. Remember - the secret password is "SDEP, or - Seagulls Don't Eat Pickles!"
Lindsey Sanders
Jun 14, 2016 Lindsey Sanders rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Adventure Read

This is a great addition to the 2016/2017 SSYRA list. It is a fun adventure, pirate, mystery. It will especially appeal to boys!
Shazzer
Jan 24, 2014 Shazzer rated it liked it
Fun, if highly implausible pirate treasure tale with a few boys, a Mystery Man(n), a library card and lots and lots of goose poo. Good for readers looking for something light for summer.
Teri North
Nov 22, 2014 Teri North rated it liked it
Cute - for young boys.
Chris
Sep 05, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it
This is a fun adventure mystery. While the strong plot concerns Fish and his friends hunting for lost pirate treasure, the book's greatest strength is its character development; not just Fish, but his friends and family and other minor characters as well. It has a gentle sense of humor that keeps things light and sporadic sidebars with factoids that don't seem either intrusive or patronizing. Realistic yet playful illustrations. And one of the best-named librarians ever: Mr. E. Mann (say it alou ...more
Rachael
Apr 29, 2015 Rachael rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015booktalks
3rd-4th
Melody
Mar 24, 2013 Melody rated it did not like it
Shelves: alamw13
One of the ALA ARCs I picked up thinking it might be a fun book to have when kids come over. It didn't work for me at all. I found the inclusion of little didactic boxes about Tesla and microwaves and the like to be obtrusive. There's one kid who every time he's mentioned, is eating something. That's one of those things that, done in moderation, helps distinguish a character but done every time ruins a book for me.

I liked the boys, though. They were silly and real-sounding a lot of the time.
Pamela Powell
Feb 26, 2013 Pamela Powell rated it really liked it
I got to read an advanced reader copy and it was very good. As soon as it's available to purchase, I will be getting a copy for my school library. The story is fun with a main character who is a regular kid who actually has a brain. He is interested in a lot and knows a lot but he's not the typical nerd or geek. There are sidebars with information scattered throughout. Very well done, I'm looking forward to more in this series.
Barbara
The local bully Bryce Billings sees Fish Finelli and his friends Roger and T. J. playing what he considers a childish game of pirates. He mocks the boys and then lures Fish into a bet that will be hard for him to be able to win. The book is filled with humor and mysteries and all the things that make summer and boyhood fun. Even the title contains a code and inside joke about the habits of seagulls.
Kelly
Jun 26, 2016 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Loved this SSYRA book.
Amy
Aug 01, 2013 Amy rated it liked it

Funny story with lots of action and interesting characters. Characters are written perhaps a bit more mature than believable, but writing is overall very strong. Action keeps the story at a good pace and it's got a bit of suspense and mystery. Overall, I think a fun read for kids, along the lines of Stink (although at a higher reading level).
Beth
Jun 08, 2013 Beth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free from a Goodreads ARC giveaway.

Read this one with my 7 year old son, and we loved it! He gave it a 5 star rating. It was fun and entertaining, well-written, and made us laugh. The mom in me loved the little educational tidbits throughout the book.

Looking forward to more Fish Finelli adventures!
Virginia
Jul 09, 2013 Virginia rated it liked it
Fun adventure, very quick read. Lots of interesting factoids in the margins. The main character is a bit unbelievable because he knows way more than many adults about the history and science that comes up in the story, but otherwise the characters are funny and relatable.
Gretchen
Apr 10, 2013 Gretchen rated it really liked it
I received a copy from Goodreads first reads giveaway.

I work in an elementary school library and not only did I enjoy this book, but I think the students will too! I enjoyed how Fish made the book educational while still being fun. I can't wait to share it!
Debra
Mar 21, 2013 Debra rated it liked it
Received from Goodreads first reads giveaway

My son and I read this together each night before bed. The story was cute, the characters likeable, and we both enjoyed it. I would recommend this book. I think it is best suited for those in grades 3-6.
Barbara
Jan 24, 2015 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: for-kids
My 7 year old loved this book. We read it together. It has cute laugh out loud moments. I had to use the book as a springboard to some meaningful non-examples of poor choice behaviors and that is why I only gave the book 3 stars.
  • Are You My Friend? A Raymond and Sheila Story
  • Odessa Again
  • Frog Song
  • The Vanishing Coin (The Magic Shop Book 1)
  • When Sam Set Sail
  • Playing with Fire (School for S.P.I.E.S., #1)
  • Galaxy Zack: Hello, Nebulon
  • The Pet Project: Cute and Cuddly Vicious Verses
  • The Mystery of Darwin's Frog
  • Piper Green and the Fairy Tree
  • Empire State of Slime (The Zombie Chasers #4)
  • The Winter of the Robots
  • Violet Mackerel's Natural Habitat (Violet Mackerel, #3)
  • The Ferret's a Foot
  • Cephalox the Cyber Squid (Deep Dive, #1)
  • Oliver and the Seawigs
  • I Represent Sean Rosen
  • Soldier Dog
Erica Farber was a children’s book editor.
More about Erica Farber...

Fish Finelli (3 books)
  • Operation Fireball (Fish Finelli, #2)
  • Ghosts Don't Wear Glasses (Fish Finelli, #3)