Start by marking “Seagulls Don't Eat Pickles: Fish Finelli Book 1” as Want to Read:
Seagulls Don't Eat Pickles: Fish Finelli Book 1

Seagulls Don't Eat Pickles: Fish Finelli Book 1

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  28 reviews
When bully Bryce Billings bets Fish Finelli that he can't find Captain Kidd's legendary long-lost treasure, Fish and his friends embark on a quest to find real-life pirate treasure. Between sneaking into the library to track down Captain Kidd's map, stowing away on a boat, and trespassing on an island, Fish and his friends have their work cut out for them. But will Fish ac ...more
Published April 16th 2013 by Chronicle Books (first published April 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Seagulls Don't Eat Pickles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seagulls Don't Eat Pickles

Ms. Yingling
Seagulls Don't Eat Pickles: Fish Finelli Book 1Farber, Edna. Seagulls Don't Eat Pickles (Fish Finelli #1)

16 April 2013, Chronicle Books

ARC from Baker and Taylor

Fish and his friends Roger and T.J. have a lot going on-- between saving up money for a boat, battling bugs and trying to avoid Fish's princess-y little sister, they are busy boys. When the trio runs into the wealthy and obnoxious Bryce and claim to be hunting for Captain Kidd's treasure, Bryce bets them $50 they can't find it. Small chan
Brenda
Norman, known as Fish by his friends and family, has been fixing up an old boat with his pals Roger and T.J. Roger is on the right and T.J. is the one with the pickle in his hand on the left. Once the boat is finished, the trio plan to put on a Seagull motor boat engine then race in the Captain Kidd Classic. Fish has been saving up his money, but he is still about twenty-seven dollars shy of the fifty-four he needs for the motor. To make matters worse, Fish enters into a bet with bully Bryce Bil ...more
Alysia
I received this book at SCIBA last October along with a million other ARC.
I have a strong opinion about children's book. (Yes! I am jumping on my soap box.) A children's book should give the young readers a few things:
1. Fun. That is always important to get them hooked.
2. An example of good behavior. (If not number 3)
3. An example of bad actions. If you do bad things then this will happen.
4. Good always does right. You don't have the good guys do bad things to prove their goodness. I know that d
Caitlin C
Fish Finelli: Seagulls Don't Eat Pickles by E. S. Farber is quite an interesting read; at first, it seems like a typical adventure/mystery chapter book for sister-bothering, trouble-getting-into boys and yet at the same time it feels like something completely new. The story revolves around a group of friends searching for the treasure of Captain Kidd and getting into all kinds of mischief along the way. But, they must find the treasure before a tall, dark, and mysterious "spy"/librarian and his ...more
Elissa
I'd heard this series described as an Ivy and Bean-type book with male characters. I have big, puffy hearts for Ivy + Bean so I was keen on reading this book as well.

Color me unimpressed.

After making an unwise bet with a local bully, Fish and his friends Roger and T.J. have two weeks to discover the location of Captain Kidd's treasure, rumored to be hidden somewhere in the area. There's lots in here that will appeal to boys--bugs, muck, goose poop humor, pirates, and more. Sprinkled throughout a
Evelyn Ink
Great book for kids who like facts, not fantasy and enjoy reading low anxiety adventure stories. With so many dark and creepy middle grade books out there, Fish Finnelli is a refreshing summer-fun mystery full of humor and light thrills.

Packed with fun facts, fourth grade humor, and pirate treasure (what more could you want?) this is great “read-to” for six and seven year olds, while kids ages eight and up will be reading it to themselves. Due to the simplicity of the plot however, I would say
Vera Godley
I won an advance reader copy and only wish it had been a finished copy. The illustrations in the ARC were not completed and, of course, AR Copies typically have textual changes. This book is too delightful for boys for this ARC to simply sit on a shelf or be trashed - it needs to be shared. Hence, my wishing it had been a finished copy.

Finelli and friends are involved in summer time boy stuff with gross boy-like-details. This group of friends are busily involved in funny action-packed activities
Akoss
I really had no idea that Seagulls actually do not eat pickles. For real! Ha!
Book one in this series is full of action and the chapters are short which is perfect for the target audience. The book is more on the chapter book side and I loved the illustrations, along with the cool facts on the sides.
Fish and his friends make an interesting group. Everyone is different but their uniqueness played an important role in how they solved the mystery of Captain Kidd's treasure. The treasure hunt was dan
Sylvia
In this illustrated middle grade story, Fish Finelli is a smart, adventure-loving boy who sets off to find Captain Kidd's legendary lost treasure buried in a small island in Long Island sound. He and his buddies get into scrapes and near-disasters as they find a treasure map, avoid a Mystery Man on a similar quest, and arrive at Lyons Island to search for the treasure. What I liked about this book was the many factoids and illustrated side bars that gave interesting information, such as the hist ...more
Shazzer
Fun, if highly implausible pirate treasure tale with a few boys, a Mystery Man(n), a library card and lots and lots of goose poo. Good for readers looking for something light for summer.
Teri North
Cute - for young boys.
Chris
This is a fun adventure mystery. While the strong plot concerns Fish and his friends hunting for lost pirate treasure, the book's greatest strength is its character development; not just Fish, but his friends and family and other minor characters as well. It has a gentle sense of humor that keeps things light and sporadic sidebars with factoids that don't seem either intrusive or patronizing. Realistic yet playful illustrations. And one of the best-named librarians ever: Mr. E. Mann (say it alou ...more
Melody
One of the ALA ARCs I picked up thinking it might be a fun book to have when kids come over. It didn't work for me at all. I found the inclusion of little didactic boxes about Tesla and microwaves and the like to be obtrusive. There's one kid who every time he's mentioned, is eating something. That's one of those things that, done in moderation, helps distinguish a character but done every time ruins a book for me.

I liked the boys, though. They were silly and real-sounding a lot of the time.
Pamela Powell
I got to read an advanced reader copy and it was very good. As soon as it's available to purchase, I will be getting a copy for my school library. The story is fun with a main character who is a regular kid who actually has a brain. He is interested in a lot and knows a lot but he's not the typical nerd or geek. There are sidebars with information scattered throughout. Very well done, I'm looking forward to more in this series.
Barbara
The local bully Bryce Billings sees Fish Finelli and his friends Roger and T. J. playing what he considers a childish game of pirates. He mocks the boys and then lures Fish into a bet that will be hard for him to be able to win. The book is filled with humor and mysteries and all the things that make summer and boyhood fun. Even the title contains a code and inside joke about the habits of seagulls.
Amy

Funny story with lots of action and interesting characters. Characters are written perhaps a bit more mature than believable, but writing is overall very strong. Action keeps the story at a good pace and it's got a bit of suspense and mystery. Overall, I think a fun read for kids, along the lines of Stink (although at a higher reading level).
Beth
I received this book for free from a Goodreads ARC giveaway.

Read this one with my 7 year old son, and we loved it! He gave it a 5 star rating. It was fun and entertaining, well-written, and made us laugh. The mom in me loved the little educational tidbits throughout the book.

Looking forward to more Fish Finelli adventures!
Virginia
Fun adventure, very quick read. Lots of interesting factoids in the margins. The main character is a bit unbelievable because he knows way more than many adults about the history and science that comes up in the story, but otherwise the characters are funny and relatable.
Gretchen
I received a copy from Goodreads first reads giveaway.

I work in an elementary school library and not only did I enjoy this book, but I think the students will too! I enjoyed how Fish made the book educational while still being fun. I can't wait to share it!
Debra
Received from Goodreads first reads giveaway

My son and I read this together each night before bed. The story was cute, the characters likeable, and we both enjoyed it. I would recommend this book. I think it is best suited for those in grades 3-6.
Barbara
My 7 year old loved this book. We read it together. It has cute laugh out loud moments. I had to use the book as a springboard to some meaningful non-examples of poor choice behaviors and that is why I only gave the book 3 stars.
Angie
** Please support your local independent bookstore when buying this book! Buying from Amazon.com hurts your local economy. If you don't know where to go, check here: http://www.indiebound.org/indie-store... **
Vicky
I recieved a copy of this book through Good reads First reads.

This is a cool, interesting childs book, well written and enjoyable.
Kim Heimbuch
Read book. Waiting for set dates by publisher I review for to post original post and then I will post here.
Sherry
**currently reading this book with my 7 year old...appropriately while we're at the beach!**
Sharon Lawler
Lots of action which revolves around the search for Captain Kidd's long lost treasure map.
Ashley Martin
Noah enjoyed it. It was a fun adventure.
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
  • Are You My Friend? A Raymond and Sheila Story
  • Odessa Again
  • Playing with Fire (School for S.P.I.E.S., #1)
  • Frog Song
  • Soldier Dog
  • Oliver and the Seawigs
  • The Pet Project: Cute and Cuddly Vicious Verses
  • Robbie Forester and the Outlaws of Sherwood Street (outlaws of Sherwood Street, #1)
  • Lizzy Bennet's Diary: Inspired by Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Lulu and the Dog from the Sea (Lulu #2)
  • When Sam Set Sail
  • The Pirate's Coin: A Sixty-Eight Rooms Adventure (Sixty-Eight Rooms #3)
  • Bad Unicorn
  • Violet Mackerel's Remarkable Recovery (Violet Mackerel, #2)
  • Island: A Story of the Galápagos
  • Storm of Sharks (Wereworld, #5)
  • The Vanishing Coin (The Magic Shop Book 1)
  • My Brother's Shadow
Erica Farber was a children’s book editor.
More about Erica Farber...
Circle of Three (Tales of the Nine Charms) Secret in the Stones (Tales of the Nine Charms) Cake Soup Pirate Soup No Howling in the House (Critters of the Night: Step into Reading, Step 3)