Round Is a Tortilla: A Book of Shapes

Round Is a Tortilla: A Book of Shapes

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Round are tortillas and tacos, too Round is a bowl of abuela's stew. In this lively picture book, children discover a world of shapes all around them: Rectangles are ice-cream carts and stone metates, triangles are slices of watermelon and quesadillas. Many of the featured objects are Latino in origin, but all are universal in appeal. With rich, boisterous illustrations, a...more
Published March 19th 2013 by Chronicle Books (first published February 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Round Is a Tortilla, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Round Is a Tortilla

Kelly Timian
• This book features scenes familiar to children—park, kitchen, a baseball game. It is written in a rhyming mixture of English and Spanish and helps children realize that if you look closely enough, you will see that shapes that are all around us!

• This book has the characteristics of a picture book because each page has large colorful pictures with three to four lines of text. The language is simple enough so that it tells the story.

• This book is a great tool for teaching kids two content area...more
Cheryl

Book: Round is a Tortilla; A Book of Shapes by Roseanne Thong published by Chronicle Books in 2013. This is a multi-cultural picture book with the main purpose of teaching shapes. The book uses rhymes with Spanish words and bold illustrations to support the text. Young readers will learn about shapes, learn some Spanish words and also learn about the Hispanic culture.

Reflection: Text to Self
Honestly I picked this book out because of the word Tortilla in the title. I think I was truly starving as...more
Tasha
Explore shapes with two young members of a Mexican-American family. The book begins with circles as they are seen in nests, bells, and food. Readers will also get to find squares, rectangles, triangles, ovals, and stars. Spanish words are sprinkled throughout the book and engagingly explained within the context. There is also a glossary at the end of the book to help. This is an engaging look at shapes with a charming Mexican vibe.

Done in rhyming couplets, the book has a strong lilting rhythm an...more
Cindy Hudson
Round Is a Tortilla is a picture book that helps kids learn shapes as well as a few words in Spanish. Written by Roseanne Greenfield Thong, the story follows two Latino children as they dance, cook, play games, read and enjoy other activities in the world around them. They see shapes in normal, everyday things like the round moon, a square fountain, rectangular flags, triangle-shaped slices of watermelon, and oval pebbles.

John Parra’s illustrations include many other objects in the featured shap...more
Victoria Matthews
This is a shape book and there are pictures of shapes that are familiar to the Hispanic culture, i.e., round as a tortilla, square are ventanas, and triangles for chips and gaucomole. The story is about different shapes but it is also about the Hispanic culture and doing this with families. The pictures very vivid and colorful and the topic is a great way to have discussions with students.
Linda
Written in simple rhymed text, the book takes a young child on a shape journey. Through little towns and big ones, shapes are searched out: tortillas are round as a pot of Abuela’s Stew, rectangles are carts with bells that chime.” John Parra, a pura Belpre illustrator honor winner, draws in a folkart style with enough realism to make the story interesting.
Aprils
This is a book I would want to read one-on-one with a child aged 4-7. I don't think that it would work as well in a storytime, because the shapes that children are supposed to identify are pretty small. The illustrations were beautiful and fun! I enjoyed the rhymes.
Callie Rose Tyler
This bilingual book focuses on shapes and tries to be interactive but I preferredRound Is a Tortilla: A Book of Shapes.
Becky
Rhyming shapes picture book drawn from Latino culture. Illustrations painted on wood. Includes a glossary, but you don't really need to know the Spanish words to catch their meaning.
Katie Darrin
This is a beautifully illustrated book about shapes. There are several Spanish words and a glossary that provides translations as well as in depth explanations for some of the terms.
Emilia P
The art in this book is awesome! I wanted to look into every corner of every picture and find every shape and cultural reference I could identify and learn a little more about them. It is also kind of helpful for me since I'm going to Mexican-culture-heavy Texas really soon! So I want to get more in tune with the resources for bilingual and bicultural learning. The text is just a little bit bumpy, squeezing in Spanish words, sometimes glaringly but mostly smoothly -- and with a glossary at the e...more
Jim Erekson
Parra's folk-style illustrations were fun to look at. I am still thinking about the pages where he did a bird's eye view of a town square and park. but the pictures did not salvage the experience of the book.
There was no reason this book needed to rhyme. Many of the rhymes felt forced and distracted from the presentation of everyday culture through the lens of a shapes concept. Also, the fact that Thong started with 'round' instead of 'circle' made me expect to read about more generalized shape...more
Paula
A little girl discovers things that are round, square, and rectangular in her Hispanic American neighborhood.
Jacqui Sheppherd
A book of shapes with a Latina flare. Extensive glossary in the back.
Teaches shapes as well as a few words in Spanish.
Shelley
Dia de los Ninos
Preschool April 30 and May 1, 2014
Barbara
Although I love the cultural flavor this concept book has in its text sprinkled with Spanish terms and its colorful, movement-filled paint illustrations, some pages try to do too much and may confuse young readers since there are so many shapes to identify. Readers learn to identify various objects that are round, square, rectangles, triangles, and ovals. Most of the rhyming lines are fun to read aloud although some are a bit clunky. The last two pages are filled with several shapes for readers...more
Kristen
Multicultural book for primary grades
Karen
Titlewave.com has predicted 2014 award winners and this is one of them. I'm trying to read as many as possible before the winners are announced.
Stephanie Sapp
Perfect book for TX 2x2 list. Loved looking through the pictures for the shapes.
Kelsey
Age: 1 years - preschool
Shapes

Thong uses a rolling rhythm as she explores the shapes in our lives. Its uniqueness comes from the smattering of Spanish words throughout and the focus on a Latino lifestyle and the shapes existing within that culture. Thong occasionally asks the reader to find the shapes and objects described in the images that are full of noticeable shape examples. A simple subject such as shapes could easily be trashed but Thong pulls it off with class.
Alice
This books is a great little book about shapes, I like the illustrations but here is my problem with it and why I couldn't give it 4 stars..there are a lot of Spanish words it in...which is great, but I don't speak Spanish and I am sure I am pronouncing all the words wrong. In the back there is a glossary but no pronunciation key for us Gringos. If there were a pronunciation key this would be a 4 star for me, but without it...not thrilled by it!
Bdalton
No matter what language you speak some things are the same all around the world. Round things are round and square things are square. By mixing Latino culture and Spanish words with a familiar concept [shapes], children are taught to appreciate the differences while finding the similarity. Together these two ideas build global citizens and enrich our lives. The rhyming text is delightful but it the illustrations that I find delightful.
The Library Lady
This is the same format as Thong's Round is a Mooncake: A Book of Shapes, only instead of Chinese objects, here the theme is Latino items. The use of Spanish words is nice, the art is great, but the verses don't scan as well as they did in her other books. Good, but she's capable of even better.
Crystal
This is a bouncy rhyming book that offers examples of many different shapes. The examples are often part of Latin@ culture and are usually fun. It does include a glossary of the Spanish words used in the text in case a reader is not certain about the meaning though usually the illustrations assist with that. This will be a concept book that will be great to use in the primary grades. I can't wait to share it.
Samantha
A book of shapes that follows a Latina girl as she looks for various shapes in her environment.

Painted illustrations offer numerous shapes to discover, far more than the few mentioned in text. I LOVE the rich environment this story takes place in; it evokes the five senses.

A glossary is included that defines the Spanish words and gives a some extra information when necessary. Great read aloud!
Kristina Lareau
A beautifully painted book that seamlessly integrates shapes into Hispanic culture. Spanish words are defined in the back, and the text itself encourages readers to search for the shapes discussed. The rhymes are charming and not at all stilted and even though this is a book about shapes, it still maintains a narrative.
Rosa
What a great shape book that makes use of some Spanish vocabulary words. The book uses familiar universal items to illustrate different shapes found in everyday life. Bonus points for the glossary in the back that makes it a point to say that a tortilla is something different in Spain.
Christine
A lively book that helps readers to discover shapes throughout their everyday lives. I thoroughly enjoyed the Spanish words that were sprinkled on each of the pages and found that the glossary was helpful for defining these terms as well.
Tracie
Rhyming text and vivid illustrations reveal a world of shapes. Although many Spanish words and objects that are unique to Latino culture are included, this playful concept book has universal appeal.
  • Who Put the Cookies in the Cookie Jar?
  • Tito Puente, Mambo King/Tito Puente, Rey del Mambo
  • Night Light
  • Gracias/Thanks
  • Maria Had a Little Llama / María Tenía Una Llamita
  • Super Hair-o and the Barber of Doom
  • The Things I Can Do
  • Take Me Out to the Yakyu
  • Just in Case
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
  • My Abuelita
  • Nasreddine
  • Again!
  • How to Be a Cat
  • How To
  • Tiger in My Soup
  • Los Gatos Black on Halloween
  • Sophie's Squash
Round is a Mooncake: A Book of Shapes Red is a Dragon: A Book of Colors Fly Free Green Is a Chile Pepper: A Book of Colors Tummy Girl