The Pajama Girls of Lambert Square

The Pajama Girls of Lambert Square

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  829 ratings  ·  155 reviews

Published February 14th 2008 by Putnam Adult (first published January 1st 2008)

Alisha
The story takes place in a fictional town of Lamb's Corner in Southern Carolina. Typical of a southern town, population of around 6000, all the residence of the town are born and raised. All in their late 50s and up with the exception of a hand full of 35-40 aged people.

The town is struggling to survive till an automotive company from Sweden comes to build a factory with which to build it's cars to sell in the States. Thus providing the town with more jobs and a higher population, bringing in mo...more
Kellie
This book's biggest problem is that none of the main characters are particularly likable or sympathetic. Dodge comes across as manipulative and insincere. Julia comes across as cold and secretive. In an attempt to build suspense, much of Julia's back-story is not revealed until the final quarter of the book – too late to wring any pity from the reader. The love story is unoriginal and the (admittedly steamy) sex scenes are probably the only interesting passages in the book. Even the happy ending...more
*Christie*
I should almost abstain from giving this book a star rating considering the post surgical drug induced state in which I read the first 15 pages and thought that Dodge character was a dog being persosnified. Nevertheless, I always have an opinion.

I thought the town of Lamb's Corner was charming. It, in and of itself my favorite character. It was the most relatable certainly.

Problems: the construction of the book was poorly executed, the characters were too abundant to develop strong feelings for...more
Susan E
I am a fan of Rosina, who has written some of my all-time favorite historical novels, The Wilderness Series, under her pen name, Sara Donati. And I loved Homestead, her first book under her real name. And I read her weblog, and want to support her, so I bought this book, hardcover and new, which I seldom do (except for her Wilderness books, which bought new/hardcover, knowing I will read them over and over.)

I appreciate that someone who had committed to writing a historically-accurate series mig...more
Mary
Julia runs a fine linen shop in a small South Carolina town of Lamb's Corner. It suits her well as she recovers from the death of her young husband.
John Dodge moves from town to town rehabbing failing businesses. He never stays in one town for longer than two years and is happy with that lifestyle. Then he takes over a collectible pen shop in Lamb's Corner, South Carolina, meets Julia and his life changes forever.
This was a fun, small-town, sexy romance just perfect for snuggling up with on a co...more
Andrea
sounds like a comforting read:

[close:] From the author of Tied to the Tracks comes a charming new novel set in Lambert's Corner, South Carolina-a beautiful town where no one's secrets remain secret for very long.

For John Dodge, moving to new places and reviving ailing businesses is a way of life. So when he sees an ad for Scriveners, a stationery shop in a small town in South Carolina, he decides to take the plunge.

As soon as he arrives in Lambert's Corner, Dodge falls happily into the whirl o...more
Maxine Dulaney
main characters: Julia Darrow, John Dodge

I would not say this is a great book. It was entertaining. Julia's character is a little unbelievable at times. The story reminds me of the books about the minister in a small town - can't remember the name right off. There are a lot of characters and a subplot about one of the characters who works in the linen shop and her relationship with a Swedish man who is working for an auto manufacturer that is opening a plant in the town.
Dodge travels around the...more
NancyInWI
I plodded through this book, wondering why so many people gave it 5 stars. First, I was put off by the sudden and gratuitous sex in the firwst 70 pages of the book. The female protagonist had barely met the male protagonist and they were already having steamy animal sex on stairways!
The middle of the book was boring, with too many characters to keep straight without any development at all.
The end was nice...the last 20 pages of the book were the best part, but I wouldn't recommend going through...more
Kathryn
What a great book. This little town is full of great shops, quirky shop owners, and fun townsfolk. At the Cocoon shop where they sell linens and pajamas, everyone that works there wears pajamas. How fun is that? This southern lit book is delightful, with a couple of characters it mainly focuses on who end up with a bit more complication in their lives than I first realized. Even the ending was a nice surprise...
Susan
The plight of the main character was the only thing that kept me reading. (I'm trying not to reveal too much.) There were holes in John Dodge's back story as well as other aspects of the Kallesjo subplot. I also found the numerous community members hard to keep straight. Bean was an enjoyable character, as was some of the inter-play between Dodge and his sister. But the resolution seemed a bit unrealistic.
Krista
When I started this one I wasn't sure. Then I liked it. Then I wasn't sure again. By the middle I decided I was enjoying this story very much. Light and enjoyable for those times when that's just what you need. (Like after Atlas Shrugged.)
Suzanne
What a fun, quick read - didn't want to put it down! Is it predictable? Why, yes; it all ends happily ever after. But how you get there is always unpredictable, and it is exactly that that makes this book so enjoyable.
Jeana
I simply cannot believe that this Lambert Square could possibly ever be a real place (and I come from a small town). None of the characters seemed real, and nothing that happened seemed like they would ever happen.
Peggy
I really liked this book. I liked the way more information about the characters was revealed as you progressed through the book instead of hitting you with all the information at the beginning of the book.
Erin
Like other reviewers I found the characters unlikable. The whole story made no sense to me. A woman who wears pajamas all the time? Um, ok. And goes around barefoot outside walking her dog? Dodge and Julia hop into bed pdq and nothing really happens from there. Boring, utterly predictable scenes in the store and local cafe. The phone calls between Dodge and his sister seemed to have no point other than to fill in background, a pretty tired device, IMO.

I quit reading about 1/2 way through. I tot...more
LizH
This book was fantastic! Loved the characters and the setting, and just wanted to be in the town with all these people. I didn't want this to end!
Marleen
This was not the book I expected it to be. Honestly, from the book-blurb, I thought it would be more authentic and picturesque, and also more funny – and I had hoped the characters more quirky and genuine. I wish I could give a three stars, but it's a deserving 2,5.
It’s not that I disliked the book, on the contrary, there were a few elements present that made this book interesting. I especially liked the main character of John Adams Dodge, and how he related to his family, friends and neighbors....more
Susan
The Pajama Girls of Lambert Square is the hilarious story of a cast of quirky characters set in small town South Carolina. It's contemporary, regional chicklit at its very best, complete with half-baked rumors, Southern-style deference, and an abundance of charming but eccentric characters.

John Dodge is a traveling man, reviving ailing around the country to flip for a profit. When he finds himself in Lamb's Corner, South Carolina, to take over a stationery store, he is greeted by sweet, souther...more
Leya
I was drawn right from the beginning. I just couldn't help it. I enjoyed every single little bit. The setting, even a fictional one, was superb. The characters were funny, engaging, friendly and full of southern charm. Who wouldn't want to visit Lambert Square?

The character that I enjoyed the most (of course) was Julia. On the outside she seems to be in control, strong, self assured and a keen business women, but throughout the book you see that she's slowly falling apart and that she's quite c...more
Amanda
Done 1 week early for May's book club!! Ok, I finished this at 3:30am this morning. What can I say - I get into a good book and I just can't put it down. Needless to say, I slept in and worked from home today :)

This is a great book. It delves into the south and has a good southern feel, even for a fictional location. It really gets into the emotions of life in a small town and everything (good and bad) that comes with it. There's a little bit of everything that you want in a good love story, too...more
Erin
Apr 22, 2008 Erin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who read non-genre-specific novels, people who like books set in the south
Shelves: nongenre-fiction
I really enjoyed this book, although I think I would have enjoyed it even more had I not read it in lunch-hour chunks with some gaps here & there. I'm not quite sure how to categorize it. It's not a "romance" novel as most people would think of one, even though the only real criteria for a romance novel is that the hero & heroine end up together by the end, and in that sense this book fits the category. It's not really a mystery, although it does take the whole book to unravel what's cau...more
Dawn
Almost from the first word, I knew I would love reading this book. She has a real gift with the process of telling the story so that you are learning the lay of the plot and all about the characters, but instead of a boring narrative, the information unfolds in a musical cadence that is rarely found. I am thoroughly invested in each of the characters and am infatuated with the way she has of defining things. Not in the overused cliches we all know by heart, but in a totally fresh, yet dead-on-ac...more
Hoover Public Library Adult Fiction

I really enjoyed this cute, funny book which mainly takes place on a quaint street in South Carolina where everyone has secrets. Out of towner Dodge moves onto the street when he buys the specialty pen store. His elusive employee Burt is keeping secrets and hiding pens from Dodge and Julia the pajama-wearing owner of the luxury linens and sleepwear boutique is keeping herself at arms length from Dodge and keeping secrets of her own. Dodge isn't saying much about his past and why he keeps buying...more
Michelle
A light and pleasing read. A palate cleanser, if you will. One of those books set in the South with a cast of quirky, endearing characters.
Colleen
John Dodge is a handsome business man who is constantly roving from city to city looking for failed businesses to rebuild. When he arrives in a small town in South Carolina, he immediately stands out with his "Yankee" accent, but manages to win over the entire town. The only person he truly desires to win over is Julia Darrow, the saddened widower who spends her days in designer pajamas. A complex woman with serious agoraphobia, she is not the easiest woman to woo. The role of the small southern...more
Robin Nicholas
John Dodge buys small businesses that are failing and uses his magic touch to get them up, running, and successful....then he moves on. He never spends more than 2 years in a spot. Why is that? Julia who came to this small southern town five years ago, runs a Linens Shop and keeps to herself, which is very hard to do in a town where everyone knows everyone and all of their business. Set in the South, filled with local flavor and customs, this is a fun read. This book actually touches on some int...more
LibraryCin

Dodge moves to a small southern town to take over a pen business, a business that has never made money. While there, he meets a large number of people, including Julia, who fosters dogs and only ever wears pajamas. There's something a little odd about Julia, though (besides the pajamas!), and Dodge himself has something he's not telling.

It was good. You see how everyone comes into a relationship with all kinds of baggage. There was a large cast of characters, some more interesting than...more
Kyla
I read all of the Into the Wilderness books and absolutely loved every single one, so I decided to venture into the other books written by the same author (Sara Donati - pen name). Although this book takes place in a completely different time and setting than the Wilderness books, it had the same pull that kept me reading long past bedtime, and the same day I picked up the book, I finished it. That rarely happens to me. Although I am not so sure I understand/believe the whole pajamas all day eve...more
Karen
This book should be made into a movie...it was fabulous!
Krysia
This is a "chick lit" book with substance! I saw an ad for this on one of the new books newsletters I get daily and was attracted to the title; I initially thought that "Lambert Square" would be somewhere in England--London perhaps? This is a quick read with interesting, sometimes quirky characters, in the South. It was a great book to have on the plane on my latest business trip. The author writes under two pen names; as Sara Donati she writes historical novels; but I have never read them.
  • Tied to the Tracks
  • Janeology
  • Million Little Mistakes
  • Recipe for Life
  • One of Those Malibu Nights
  • The Summer Kitchen  (Blue Sky Hill #2)
  • Trouble the Water
  • The Cure for Modern Life
  • Dear Zoe
  • Searching for Paradise in Parker, PA
  • Catching Genius
Rosina Lippi also writes historical fiction under the name Sara Donati.
More about Rosina Lippi...
Homestead Tied to the Tracks The Endless Forest (Wilderness, #6)

“I like difficult old women, she said. I'm in training to be one myself.” 0 likes