Start by marking “Awesome Dawson” as Want to Read:
Awesome Dawson

Awesome Dawson

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  46 reviews
EVERYTHING CAN BE USED AGAIN! That's Dawson's motto. He collects junk that people throw away and turns it into something STUPENDOUS. But when Dawson uses his skills to create a machine to do his chores for him, he discovers he might have invented something a little too... AWESOME. Can he stop the rampaging robot before it destroys the entire town?
Chris Gall inspires kids t
Published March 19th 2013 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Awesome Dawson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awesome Dawson

Nick
This book was cute, but didn't make a lick of sense. Dawson is a super-inventor, but the story was so deranged that I couldn't tell if it was all happening inside his head. If it was real, there are people in that town who may never sleep again, after being attacked by a giant vacuum cleaner with cat food for brains. No, really.
While trying to create a machine to do household chores for him, Dawson accidentally unleashes a device which sucks up everything, growing as it does. Eventually he defea
Libby
I think Chris Gall has pretty well sewn up being our six-year-old's current "favorite author." He specifically requested I get this from the library, because he'd seen it on the book jackets of other Chris Gall books, then spent most of the time we had it poring over it, and basically memorized it. His two younger sisters also thought it was great and deserved multiple rereads. I can't say it's my favorite, but I do think Mr. Gall knows his audience!

Dawson is an inventor, but he has to learn to
The Styling Librarian
Awesome Dawson by Chris Gall – Great picture book, graphic novel feel, felt like I was reading a new adaptation of the movie version of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, my son agreed. Kiddo also said his favorite part was that the main character Dawson repeatedly said “Everything can be used again!” Pretty creative.
I thought this book would fit well with this booklist from What Do We Do All Day? Website that is called: 11 Books to Inspire Inventors and Engineers:
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oh my! I got this book way, way back last spring, when my library assistant was out with back trouble. I ended up hurriedly cataloging it and sending it out in the world without getting a chance to read it. And it was checked out so much that I never was able to really get time to read it myself.

Well, it finally got checked back in and I sat down yesterday to read it.

Oh my! What a great book! I see why it’s been checked out so much. Our title character is a scavenging inventor, always rooting a
Barbara
Dawson is a born inventor, and he's been creating new products from simple tools and the stuff other folks throw away for most of his life. This eco-friendly boy is convinced that he can find a way recycle most everything that others are getting rid of. He particularly likes to restore toys and give them new leases on life. But his creation of a robot, powered by cat food, to complete his chores works too well, and the Vacu-Maniac sucks up everything in sight. It will take some quick thinking an ...more
Tima
Dawson is an awesome inventor and collector of junk. He began at an early age to collect things that no one else wanted and turn them into useful toys. His secret hide out is full of the trash he has collected from around the neighborhood. When his mom calls him to begin his chores, he creates a robot that will do the chores for him so he can spend more time inventing. But something goes dreadfully wrong and he must save the town with help from his trusty side-kick, Mooey. It is written and ill ...more
katie
Awesome Dawson is a picturebook for the Primary audience. Dawson is an inventor who recycles old items to create new and useful machines. In order to make his chore list easier, he designs a robot that does his housework a little too well, and then he saves the day with a new invention to rescue his town from the robot. The opening scenario is a great eco-friendly concept; the reduce/reuse/recycle model plus an ingenious kid makes for a nice backdrop to the age-old, very relatable conflict of ch ...more
Christina
Dawson's motto: Everything can be used again. He deploys this method to try and come up with a way to use discarded "stuff" to come up with a way to make a machine to do his chores. Of course, there are unseen consequences and Dawson must save the neighborhood. A cute story. The graphic-comic like format didn't do anything for me, but the bold colors of the cover might grab the attention of some boys.
Marcia
Dawson is a boy who loves to tinker, reuse and make stuff. A perfect book to tie in with the maker movement. He creates a robot from all his "junk" to help with homework---but look out! Young kid will enjoy the colorful graphic novel feel and fun story of reuse and recycle.
Lici
My 5 year old tends to be afraid of any book with 'bad guys' so I thought this book would turn him off. He ended up loving it. He likes stories about inventors and I think the humor helped. The comic strip format made it more approachable for him as a beginning reader.
Theresa
Awesome Dawson finds a way to reuse everything. In creating a chore-doing machine with a vacuum, he inadvertently makes a monster. Of course, he saves the day using his best friend, Mooey.

Might be cute for April/recycling, etc.
Leslie
Awesome Dawson believes that everything can be used again. But is it really a good idea to make a robot to do his chores? This would be a great read aloud for Earth Day.
Alicia
This book is about a quirky scientific main character's creative adventures and is perfectly suited for that quirky-humored, scientificly-minded reader.
Maggi Rohde
Building awesome things out of junk! The level of detail in the illustrations is the best part. Creativity and recycling: a lovely combination.
Paula
Dawson, a super hero boy, is pretty awesome. If you know children who like to create or invent things, they'll like this book. The comic-like illustrations are busy with lots of labels and will entertain young readers.
Samantha
I like the recycling message. Did I think it made a ton of sense? No. Do I think kids will like it? Yes.
Kelsey
Age: K-2nd grade
Toys: Inventions

Dawson has a mind for creation and everything has a re-purpose; until he creates an out-of-control cleaning robot with cat food for brains. The story is quite chaotic and fast paced, so, when reading, make sure that you are exploring the pictures and taking your time. Gall added label identifiers to all the ready-to-be re-purposed objects so it's fun to explore the jumbled images, much like a search-and-find. Obviously very appealing to kids who like building and
Vj
Cool book. Great for Earth Day--recycle, repurpose.
Nicole
Haha, "My computer brain is experiencing fear, Dawson."
Maya
Chris Gall is Miles' new favorite author/illustrator. Not only did this guy create Dinotrux, another fave around here, he created Dawson and his lair of junk waiting to be turned into robots and machines. Miles' eyes were wide through the entire first reading of this book. He is mildly into the story line of a robot that has to be stopped before it unwittingly destroys the town. It's the detailed illustrations, Dawson in goggles and his various robot creations that are the big hit. After borrowi ...more
The Book Box
Jun 25, 2015 The Book Box added it
Shelves: library
Mama read this to me and my big brother.
Robert
I'm of two minds about this book. On one hand it's an inventive story with a positive message about reusing and recycling. On the other hand, a child collects, stores, and plays with large amounts of refuse, and creates something that endangers a large number of people. He is then regarded as a hero when he stops his creation, even though it has done a great deal of property damage that he fails to make right. Also, he has no real friends.
Shelli
As always Chris Gall delivers amazing illustrations that make any kid want to select it of the shelf. The pictures are colorful and dynamic; in a cool comic book fashion. Awesome Dawson will be a big hit with any kid that fancies himself to be a bit of an inventor or scientist. I didn't love the story nearly as much as the pictures, it felt a bit rushed in places. Kids will love it all the same though.
paula
"The Vacu-Maniac has a brain made of cat food, Dawson."
"That could be a problem."

It's funny, it's beautiful, it's exciting, it features the best deadpan talking cow sidekick I've seen in a picture book so far this year!

Can Chris Gall be in charge of all picture books for a while please? He is the best.
Brenda Kahn
What kid wouldn't like to invent something to do chores for him? Dawson throws away nothing and collects and repurposes nearly everything everyone else throws away. Read it the first time for the zany story then, turn back and read the pictures. Visual humor, energy and color burst from each page.
Christine
Dawson can invent anything out of "junk". He quickly finds out though that a robot with cat food for brain's may not have been his best idea. Clever thinking on Dawson's part works to save the day. This book might encourage even the youngest reader to create something new out of "junk" left behind!
Pamela
A fun story about how an active childhood imagination can make anything into something else, only in this story the boy inventor literally does just that. Lots of details on each page, some even feeling like a seek-and-find puzzle. Kids will enjoy both the story and pictures.
This was not as good as Dinotrux and Substitute Creature, but it had its highlights.
Mary
This is the story of a boy who loves to invent things out of old things. It is written in the spirit of a graphic novel, which is appealing to many kids. It would be good for older kids to read and enjoy, but it’s not highly exciting.
Lara
Not a huge fan of this one. It's an interesting concept, but I found the text choppy and the illustrations a little too clean, and yet too cluttered at the same time. I can see certain kids really loving this, though.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Daisy Gets Lost
  • Lost Cat
  • 123 versus ABC
  • How to Train a Train
  • One Is a Feast for Mouse: A Thanksgiving Tale (Mouse (Holiday House))
  • Crankenstein
  • Nora's Chicks
  • Deep in the Sahara
  • Crankee Doodle
  • How to Bicycle to the Moon to Plant Sunflowers: A Simple but Brilliant Plan in 24 Easy Steps
Dinotrux Dog vs. Cat Substitute Creacher Revenge of the Dinotrux Dear Fish