Start by marking “Awesome Dawson” as Want to Read:
Awesome Dawson

Awesome Dawson

EVERYTHING CAN BE USED AGAIN! That's Dawson's motto. He collects junk that people throw away and turns it into something STUPENDOUS. But when Dawson uses his skills to create a machine to do his chores for him, he discovers he might have invented something a little too... AWESOME. Can he stop the rampaging robot before it destroys the entire town?
Chris Gall inspires kids t
Published March 19th 2013 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Awesome Dawson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awesome Dawson

Nick
Apr 04, 2013 Nick rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This book was cute, but didn't make a lick of sense. Dawson is a super-inventor, but the story was so deranged that I couldn't tell if it was all happening inside his head. If it was real, there are people in that town who may never sleep again, after being attacked by a giant vacuum cleaner with cat food for brains. No, really.
While trying to create a machine to do household chores for him, Dawson accidentally unleashes a device which sucks up everything, growing as it does. Eventually he defea
katie
Awesome Dawson is a picturebook for the Primary audience. Dawson is an inventor who recycles old items to create new and useful machines. In order to make his chore list easier, he designs a robot that does his housework a little too well, and then he saves the day with a new invention to rescue his town from the robot. The opening scenario is a great eco-friendly concept; the reduce/reuse/recycle model plus an ingenious kid makes for a nice backdrop to the age-old, very relatable conflict of ch ...more
Shumin Wu
Picture Book- Awesome Dawson
APA Citation: Gall, C. (2013). Awesome Dawson. New York: Little, Brown and Company.

Summary:
The main character in this book is a boy called Dawson. Dawson is a super-inventor with the motto “Everything can be used again!” He likes to turn trash into treasure and often collects junk that people throw away and turns it into new thing for adding to an invention. At first, Dawson uses his skills to create a machine to do housework for him, later his ambition grows larger
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Sep 14, 2013 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it
Shelves: creativity, children
Oh my! I got this book way, way back last spring, when my library assistant was out with back trouble. I ended up hurriedly cataloging it and sending it out in the world without getting a chance to read it. And it was checked out so much that I never was able to really get time to read it myself.

Well, it finally got checked back in and I sat down yesterday to read it.

Oh my! What a great book! I see why it’s been checked out so much. Our title character is a scavenging inventor, always rooting a
Barbara
Dawson is a born inventor, and he's been creating new products from simple tools and the stuff other folks throw away for most of his life. This eco-friendly boy is convinced that he can find a way recycle most everything that others are getting rid of. He particularly likes to restore toys and give them new leases on life. But his creation of a robot, powered by cat food, to complete his chores works too well, and the Vacu-Maniac sucks up everything in sight. It will take some quick thinking an ...more
Tima
Apr 23, 2013 Tima rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Dawson is an awesome inventor and collector of junk. He began at an early age to collect things that no one else wanted and turn them into useful toys. His secret hide out is full of the trash he has collected from around the neighborhood. When his mom calls him to begin his chores, he creates a robot that will do the chores for him so he can spend more time inventing. But something goes dreadfully wrong and he must save the town with help from his trusty side-kick, Mooey. It is written and ill ...more
Jennifer Heise
Dawson is an inventor in the grand tradition of Jimmy Neutron, Dexter's Laboratory, and Phineas and Ferb-- but instead of using new parts, as they do, he recycles old parts to build his inventions ("Everything old can be used again," as he said.) His sidekick is a robotic cowhead he built, and he gets into trouble, like most boy inventors, by inventing something that seems cool but gets out of control. I thought it was cool, but not as cool as, say, Howtoons (which is real projects) or some of t ...more
Libby
Dec 09, 2014 Libby rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, picture-book, funny
I think Chris Gall has pretty well sewn up being our six-year-old's current "favorite author." He specifically requested I get this from the library, because he'd seen it on the book jackets of other Chris Gall books, then spent most of the time we had it poring over it, and basically memorized it. His two younger sisters also thought it was great and deserved multiple rereads. I can't say it's my favorite, but I do think Mr. Gall knows his audience!

Dawson is an inventor, but he has to learn to
Chelsea Radojcic
Apr 02, 2016 Chelsea Radojcic rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
I may be bias in my love for Chris Gall- but I have to write this review. This story is SO creative and well... awesome! Meet Dawson who is a super smart and super cool kid who loves to build things out of old junk. Dawson is the poster child for recycling! What a creative and fun way to teach your kids about recycling. I would recommend this book especially for little boys. Chris Gall puts the fun into cleaning up and re-purposing things. Dawson's motto is, "everything can be used again!" Not t ...more
Kelsey
May 21, 2013 Kelsey rated it liked it
Age: K-2nd grade
Toys: Inventions

Dawson has a mind for creation and everything has a re-purpose; until he creates an out-of-control cleaning robot with cat food for brains. The story is quite chaotic and fast paced, so, when reading, make sure that you are exploring the pictures and taking your time. Gall added label identifiers to all the ready-to-be re-purposed objects so it's fun to explore the jumbled images, much like a search-and-find. Obviously very appealing to kids who like building and
Maya
Sep 25, 2013 Maya rated it really liked it
Chris Gall is Miles' new favorite author/illustrator. Not only did this guy create Dinotrux, another fave around here, he created Dawson and his lair of junk waiting to be turned into robots and machines. Miles' eyes were wide through the entire first reading of this book. He is mildly into the story line of a robot that has to be stopped before it unwittingly destroys the town. It's the detailed illustrations, Dawson in goggles and his various robot creations that are the big hit. After borrowi ...more
The Styling Librarian
Awesome Dawson by Chris Gall – Great picture book, graphic novel feel, felt like I was reading a new adaptation of the movie version of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, my son agreed. Kiddo also said his favorite part was that the main character Dawson repeatedly said “Everything can be used again!” Pretty creative.
I thought this book would fit well with this booklist from What Do We Do All Day? Website that is called: 11 Books to Inspire Inventors and Engineers:
Pam
Nov 30, 2016 Pam rated it liked it
The illustrations in this book are bright and deliciously chaotic with lots of labels and things to explore. The story began with the wonderful concept of using your own creativity to build and reuse other items but it evolved into sheer chaos. As a person looking for good resources for STEM programs, I was disappointed that Chris Gall basically took a valuable concept so far that it reads like science fiction.
Christina
Dawson's motto: Everything can be used again. He deploys this method to try and come up with a way to use discarded "stuff" to come up with a way to make a machine to do his chores. Of course, there are unseen consequences and Dawson must save the neighborhood. A cute story. The graphic-comic like format didn't do anything for me, but the bold colors of the cover might grab the attention of some boys.
R
Jun 23, 2013 R rated it liked it
I'm of two minds about this book. On one hand it's an inventive story with a positive message about reusing and recycling. On the other hand, a child collects, stores, and plays with large amounts of refuse, and creates something that endangers a large number of people. He is then regarded as a hero when he stops his creation, even though it has done a great deal of property damage that he fails to make right. Also, he has no real friends.
Shelli
Aug 22, 2013 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
As always Chris Gall delivers amazing illustrations that make any kid want to select it of the shelf. The pictures are colorful and dynamic; in a cool comic book fashion. Awesome Dawson will be a big hit with any kid that fancies himself to be a bit of an inventor or scientist. I didn't love the story nearly as much as the pictures, it felt a bit rushed in places. Kids will love it all the same though.
paula
Jul 31, 2013 paula rated it it was amazing
"The Vacu-Maniac has a brain made of cat food, Dawson."
"That could be a problem."

It's funny, it's beautiful, it's exciting, it features the best deadpan talking cow sidekick I've seen in a picture book so far this year!

Can Chris Gall be in charge of all picture books for a while please? He is the best.
Mary
This is the story of a boy who loves to invent things out of old things. It is written in the spirit of a graphic novel, which is appealing to many kids. It would be good for older kids to read and enjoy, but it’s not highly exciting.
Christine
Nov 04, 2013 Christine rated it liked it
Dawson can invent anything out of "junk". He quickly finds out though that a robot with cat food for brain's may not have been his best idea. Clever thinking on Dawson's part works to save the day. This book might encourage even the youngest reader to create something new out of "junk" left behind!
Lici
Mar 10, 2014 Lici rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
My 5 year old tends to be afraid of any book with 'bad guys' so I thought this book would turn him off. He ended up loving it. He likes stories about inventors and I think the humor helped. The comic strip format made it more approachable for him as a beginning reader.
Rosa Cline
Dec 06, 2016 Rosa Cline added it
Shelves: kids, 2016
This is a comic book-storybook type of book. The little boy in the story is a Scientist and belives everything can be reused in one way or another. But one day he builds something that comes back on him and makes him to rethink his motto.
Paula
Jan 28, 2014 Paula rated it liked it
Dawson, a super hero boy, is pretty awesome. If you know children who like to create or invent things, they'll like this book. The comic-like illustrations are busy with lots of labels and will entertain young readers.
Marcia
Jul 21, 2015 Marcia rated it liked it
Dawson is a boy who loves to tinker, reuse and make stuff. A perfect book to tie in with the maker movement. He creates a robot from all his "junk" to help with homework---but look out! Young kid will enjoy the colorful graphic novel feel and fun story of reuse and recycle.
Lara
Not a huge fan of this one. It's an interesting concept, but I found the text choppy and the illustrations a little too clean, and yet too cluttered at the same time. I can see certain kids really loving this, though.
Brenda Kahn
Feb 03, 2013 Brenda Kahn rated it really liked it
What kid wouldn't like to invent something to do chores for him? Dawson throws away nothing and collects and repurposes nearly everything everyone else throws away. Read it the first time for the zany story then, turn back and read the pictures. Visual humor, energy and color burst from each page.
Pamela
A fun story about how an active childhood imagination can make anything into something else, only in this story the boy inventor literally does just that. Lots of details on each page, some even feeling like a seek-and-find puzzle. Kids will enjoy both the story and pictures.
Theresa
Jun 25, 2015 Theresa rated it liked it
Awesome Dawson finds a way to reuse everything. In creating a chore-doing machine with a vacuum, he inadvertently makes a monster. Of course, he saves the day using his best friend, Mooey.

Might be cute for April/recycling, etc.
Rachel
Oct 22, 2013 Rachel rated it it was ok
An interesting idea, but it is to chaotic and to many different things are labeled so it makes it hard to follow the text and get to the real point of the work (is it recycling or imagination?)
Nicole
Apr 12, 2014 Nicole rated it really liked it
Haha, "My computer brain is experiencing fear, Dawson."
Kkakaliouras
Sep 07, 2013 Kkakaliouras rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It would be fun to read this and then have the kiddies make their own toys.
  • Tea Party Rules
  • My Cold Plum Lemon Pie Bluesy Mood
  • Mitchell Goes Bowling
  • Crankee Doodle
  • Lucky Ducklings
  • How to Bicycle to the Moon to Plant Sunflowers: A Simple but Brilliant Plan in 24 Easy Steps
  • Nora's Chicks