With Christ in the School of Prayer (Pure Gold Classics)

With Christ in the School of Prayer (Pure Gold Classics)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  528 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Expounds Christ's teachings on the secret of believing in prayer, the certainty of answered prayer, the power of prevailing prayer and the chief end of prayer. Download "If there is one thing I
Paperback
Published July 1st 1999 by Bridge-Logos (first published December 1st 1981)

Natalie Wickham
Normally I don’t read books on prayer because I think it’s probably a better use of my time to just pray instead. But I’m so glad I read this book! Andrew Murray, a recognized authority on the topic of prayer, shares some incredible insights that left me with a new understanding of what a life of prayer should look like. One of the most poignant insights I gleaned from the book is the importance of expecting God to answer our prayers. Mr. Murray shares, “It is one of the terrible marks of the di...more
Dan Chance
Author's photo:

He wastes no time getting started and starts at the most promising point, Jesus teaching his disciples when they asked him to teach them to pray. They had obviously seen that he had power with God that no other man had. I don't know if they had already or would soon see him quiet the sea of Galilea, raise the son of the widow of Nain,and his friend Lazarus from the dead and heal the man who had been born blind but they knew his habit was to pray and they wanted to know how.

I have...more
Haymanot
"And Jesus answered and said unto him, What wilt thou that I should do unto thee?" (Mark 10:51; Luke 18:41).

Our prayers must be a distinct expression of definite need, not a vague appeal to His mercy or an indefinite cry for blessing. ... Our expressions of need, sin, love, faith, and consecration must be accompained by an explicit statement of what we are asking for and what we expect to receive.

I have probably prayed tens of thousands of vague prayers.

But the word of the Master teaches us mo...more
Lynda North
This book is a life-changing book to read. I've heard it said that this is the most-important book to read on prayer, and now that I've read it, I agree.

This is a great introduction to Andrew Murray, if you've never read him before.

"Lord teach us to pray in a month!"

You'll be so hungry and filled after reading this, that you'll want to move on to Humility and Absolute surrender by Andrew Murray, before you go on to read other works on prayer.
Iris
With Christ in the School of Prayer offers thirty-one powerful lessons on prayer. After providing some basic instructions on prayer, Andrew Murray spends much of his time on God's promises to answer our prayers. Rather than write-off unanswered prayers as outside of God's will, Murray challenges us to pray more, seeking both a relationship with God and an understanding of His will....more
David
Tough book to judge. There is much that is very edifying in this book that will help the Christian on how to pray; however, I disagree with Murray on his interpretation of how prayer changes the will of God.

I would suggest D.A. Carson's A Call to Spiritual Reformation instead. I know many Christian love this book, but I strongly prefer Carson's book instead.
Mark
This is a phenomenal book on prayer by Presbyterian pastor and writer Andrew Murray. It is obvious that Murray does not just teach on prayer--he lives it! I was so stirred and encouraged as I read through this book. For any Christian wanting to grow in the place of prayer, this is a great place to start!
Brad
Audiobook. (Librivox audiobook available as a free and legal download at Librivox.org)
Ethan
There's a reason this book has endured. If there were such a thing as a "definitive work" on the subject of prayer, this might well be it.

Murray separates into 31 lessons/chapters (one a day for a month) all the teachings of the Lord Jesus in the gospels on the subject of prayer, beginning with and building off the disciple's request, "Lord! teach us to pray."

From there, and with every chapter, Murray takes the reader deeper and deeper into the mysteries of prayer while ever maintaining a strong...more
Kelsey
This book had a big impact on my life when I read it over the course of a month. It is divided into thirty-one "lessons" that each select one statement Jesus made about prayer and consider how one can put His words into practice in one's own prayer life. Each lesson is about 6-8 pages long, with a short prayer at the end. Though the lessons are bite-sized, they are dense. I often thought: "I need to stop and think about that sentence." It's definitely thought-provoking, requiring me to slow down...more
Kelly
This is the sort of book that should be read and reread slowly, savored, and put into practice. It's written in devotional format, containing 31 chapters, beginning each chapter with scripture, and ending each one with prayer. The chapters are short, but packed. I wouldn't recommend reading it in just one month, though. I had to rush through it for logistical reasons, which is a shame.

The book is about allowing Christ to teach you how to pray. Most of the scripture references come directly from...more
Reid
What started out as a 'chapter per day' one-month read has turned into a month duty and fight to get through the book.

This 19th century South African pastor seems to really drag it out. Maybe each chapter was a sermon and the congregation had a hour to hear it and digest it.

Not easily readable 'in my book'.
In fact the best part of the book was the last part (5 short chapters) about the prayer experience of George Mueller of Bristol!

Some of the book gets into the power of faith or working up fait...more
Rod Jetton
This book will increase your faith in prayer. It is broken into 31 daily lessons and they explain why are prayers are sometimes not answered and how to pray more effective. Great read and I highly recommend giving a month to this book.
Jim George
The author continually repeats Lord teach us to pray; and chapter by chapter he gives us more and more insight on how to pray. We must have faith and hope in the Lord; we are to worship Him in spirit, truth, obedience, and in secret. We can ask in bold confidence and expect an answer. We are to remember our prayers are a dialogue with God, and not a monologue. We must make intercessory prayers for others. Our prayers are to be persevering, when the time is right we will reap abundantly, don't gi...more
Linda
This is my third read of this book. Each time I gain something different, being in a different place, heart and mind. The version I used is old English, a difficult read. Plus it is a translation, I believe, as Murray was dutch. That being said, it is a worthwhile struggle; much is gained in the school of prayer. Murray knows prayer from much experience, that is clear. I almost felt at times, it is a wonder God hears and listens to any of my prayers. Murray puts the bar up that far. But the bar...more
Linensash
Wonderful guide to an enriched walk with the Lord through our prayer lives.
Jon
Jan 06, 2008 Jon rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Anyone wanting to go deeper in their prayer life
I found this so helpful I've read it twice. Murray takes various teachings of Jesus on prayer and connects them to prayer life in our modern world in a practical and profound way. It has the strengths and weaknesses of a classic book--well-tested by time, full of deep wisdom, but written in an older style which some people might find a little difficult to get into; however, Murray is very readable for someone of that era. I love the format of 31 short chapters--I read one per day and experienced...more
Dave Johnson
i really loved this book. toward the end, i think it started to slow, but, for the most part, i think this was a very good book on prayer. murray goes thru 31 points of prayer. there were so many great points, i underlined probably 40% of the book! it seemed like murray purposely tried to find 31 points, and toward the end, just put anything that he could think of. i think if he wrote 20-25 points on prayer it would be much better. i'm still giving it 5 stars for the sheer quotability of it. it...more
Juanita Carter
I am taking this one chapter at a time, often stopping and praying as I read, I guess using it more as a devotional than just an informative book on prayer. It is great. I have really grown, even though not all the information was new for me. It has been great to not rush through it and to slowly let the truth in it to take a firm hold in my heart as I pray, contemplate, and turn to the Bible ro confirm the nuggets of truth I have discovered in this book. Stimulating! The Lord is faithful to gro...more
Jon
Fantastic book and excellent insights into prayer!
Found it included in the "Andrew Murray One-Year Devotional" book...which includes all 12 of his works meant for monthly readings.
Andrew Murray - Devotional Compilation

Also includes The Spirit of Christ, Abide in Christ and many others.
Murray's knowledge of Scripture, pastoral insight and sensitivity to the Spirit make his writings just as relevant today as when he first wrote them!
Renada Arens
A deceptively slim book. It took me several weeks to read it and digest the many sobering and encouraging passages. One of the most thought-provoking points concerned using the phrase "if it be your will" as a loophole to explain unanswered prayer. Murray contends that we should instead pray for things we KNOW are God's will, i.e., for Him to be glorified. A simple concept yet fundamentally challenging to most of my prayers. Plan to reread.
Jacki
This year I have been focused on learning what it means to pray and how to pray. This book has been a huge part of that.

I love how Andrew Murray tackled the topic. He goes straight to the Bible. Each chapter (32 in all) is set up to be a daily devotional that focuses on a short scripture passage about prayer. However, between the archaic language and comes ideas, it took me a lot longer than a day to get through each chapter.
Adele Pilkington
The title itself tells us that to be effective in prayer we need to learn from Christ Himself. The author truly understands this key aspect of fellowship with God and shares this in 31 short chapters each highlighting a scripture verse which can be used as a reflection, or focus for prayer and ending with a prayer which helps us as we learn from the Master Himself.
Elizabeth
Divided into 31 chapters that could be read as a monthly devotional, I found that I needed more time to read and digest each rich chapter. Part of that is due to the definitely 19th century style in which you sometimes feel he could be making his point in a lot fewer words, yet there are sections of each chapter that beg reflection over time. It's a book that can and should be reread and is transformational.
Ashley
It has some great insights into prayer. I especially like the list of qualities on the holy spirit and how it points out that we can/should pray for the holy spirit into our lives. It's also a very biblically grounded book. However, a large portion of it felt a little obvious or like it was going on and on about a point that doesn't need that kind of exposition.
Jerry Owens
I have read this book before and it is an excellent book on prayer. Has 31 chapters of about 6-8 pages each. Perfect for reading one chapter each day as a devotional. This is the type of book to read and put in practice, not just read and do nothing with it.
Chris
This is very well written, easy to follow and simple to apply book on prayer. It is broken down into 31 daily lessons/readings so it can be incorporated into your daily readings. I just finished it up a couple days sooner because of the holiday weekend.
Ben B
Murray is one of my favorite Christian writers, and this is one of the best books I have ever read. A complete study of the subject of prayer, based entirely on the words of Jesus from the Gospels. Deep, profound, accurate, orthodox, challenging.
Mikey
I read the book years ago (perhaps 1998 or 1999) and in 2010 found it in the public domain free to download audio version from http://librivox.org/with-christ-in-th... so I gave it a listen also.
Megan
I borrowed my copy of this book from a friend seven years ago. He's not getting it back. This is the one classic Christian book I reread. Its theology is sound and what the author has to say on prayer changed the way I prayed.
  • The Complete Works of E.M. Bounds on Prayer
  • Sit Walk Stand
  • Ashamed Of The Gospel: When The Church Becomes Like The World
  • A Christian Manifesto
  • Storm Warning
  • Man, The Dwelling Place Of God
  • The Christian's Secret Of A Happy Life (Hendrickson Christian Classics)
  • Hunger for God
  • A Life God Rewards: Why Everything You Do Today Matters Forever
  • Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret
  • Prayer: Finding the Heart's True Home
  • Living By the Book: The Art and Science of Reading the Bible
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. .

Murray was Born in Cape Town, South Africa, Murray became a noted missionary leader. His father was a Scottish Presbyterian serving the Dutch Reformed Church of South Africa, and his mother had connections with both French Huguenots and German Lutherans. This background to some extent explains his ecumenical s...more
More about Andrew Murray...
Humility: The Journey Towards Holiness Abide In Christ Absolute Surrender Lord, Teach Us To Pray Waiting On God

“The Lord gave the wonderful promise of the free use of His Name with the Father in conjunction with doing His works. The disciple who lives only for Jesus' work and Kingdom, for His will and honor, will be given the power to appropriate the promise. Anyone grasping the promise only when he wants something very special for himself will be disappointed, because he is making Jesus the servant of his own comfort. But whoever wants to pray the effective prayer of faith because he needs it for the work of the Master will learn it, because he has made himself the servant of his Lord's interests.” 13 likes
“Our forgiving love toward men is the evidence of God's forgiving love in us. It is a necessary condition of the prayer of faith.” 11 likes