Start by marking “Flight 1-2-3” as Want to Read:
Flight 1-2-3

Flight 1-2-3

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  44 reviews
What can you see when you go on an airplane journey? 1 airplane, 2 luggage carts, 3 check-in counters, and so much more! Using familiar airport signs, this striking book introduces little ones not only to numbers, but to the world around them. Equally suitable for the transportation-obsessed as well as any child learning to count, this fresh and dynamic picture book follow ...more
Published March 12th 2013 by Chronicle Books (first published January 9th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Flight 1-2-3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight 1-2-3

Edie
A celebration of symbols, especially those at airports with visually striking images that will appeal to all ages. Bold colors help to keep the reader's attention and maximize the theme of each page, be it luggage carts or food service or airport gates. And it is also a counting book if the reader is so inclined. The relationship of the numbers to what is to be counted is rather subtle, adding to the appeal.
Cindy Hudson
Flight 1-2-3 by Maria van Lieshout is a great picture book to give to kids before going on a trip that involves an airplane. Each page covers some part of the trip plus a number. At the beginning it asks the question, “When taking a flight, what do you see?” The answers go from 1 to 10 for things like the airport, the escalators, check-in desks and airplane gates. It also goes to higher numbers that engage the imagination of young children, like “100 fastened seat belts” and “a million places to ...more
Joella www.cinjoella.com
This is a counting book that shows what happens when you go on an airplane. It starts off by doing one number at a time: 1 airport, 2 luggage carts, etc. Then once the book gets to 10 gates it jumps to 100 seat belts and then some other random “airplane” numbers. Then it goes back down to “One happy meeting” with the grandparents at the end of the airplane trip.

This is a fun story that not only explains bits and pieces of what happens on a airplane trip but also goes through various numbers. Kid
Tasha
Take a ride on a plane in this follow-up to Backseat A-B-See! The trip begins with a cab ride to the airport and asks readers what they see. There is 1 airport, 2 luggage carts, 3 check-in desks, and the book progresses to very large numbers, like 100 passengers and 33,000 feet. Van Lieshout uses all of the official signage you see around the airport to inspire her art. Those signs are on each page, right next to the numbers to help with counting. The characters too have a graphic, sign-like qua ...more
John
This counting book takes place in an airport. This would be great for readers who have traveled, and may give some incite to those children who haven't. One very interesting thing is that the text appears as the signs in the airport so it almost seems wordless on the first 10 pages. Great illustrations!
Erin
I checked this book out for my plane/train obsessed little boy, and he is predictably a big fan. This counting story takes a family through the entire airport experience, from 1 airport sign as they arrive, to 6 security officers, to 33,000 feet in the sky. The book incorporates the signs for each of these things (picture the men/women restroom sign, food court signs and so on) which could be fun for an older child to play a game of I Spy with. For my almost-three-year-old the signs are a little ...more
Barbara
While I love the airport setting for this counting book and would have found it helpful to have it with me the first time I tried to navigate an airport, I found some of the illustrations confusing with too many objects for young readers to count without becoming distracted. For instance, there are three suitcases, three check-in desks, three clerks, and three families checking in to represent three, but there's one self-check kiosk. If adults and young readers are sharing the book, they can hav ...more
Miss Sarah
a simple book about traveling and all the things you see peppered with counting. A great book for someone traveling for the first time or a younger storytime.
N.
Great if your airport is SFO. Lots of familiar images like Golden Gate Bridge and the SFO airport. 2-year-olds who love airports and planes will enjoy this one.
Kristina
I like the idea and the way the illustrations look like signs you see at the airport. It doesn't work so well for Story Time, but could be good one-on-one.
Alison Stewart
The boys especially enjoyed this book because we just flew last week for vacation. This book might be less interesting if your child has never flown.
Silly
My review is over here.
Teresa
This clever book is right up there with Byron Barton's Airport, but in a very modern and stylish way. As families read this, kids can learn about the meanings of those cryptic international symbols, and most of the people in the book are those stylized figures, posed in various position--funny! Also, alert counters will notice that besides the named item to count, many of the other items on the page are also the same number, or subsets or multiples of it. I can see lots of discussions around the ...more
Emilia P
Although it doesn't work quite as well as Backseat ABSee, since the numbers chosen are a bit more arbitrary, it's still really fun. 6 security guards. 9 people waiting for the bathroom (the little dude at the center of the tale is doing the potty dance). 100 people on the plane. Grandma and grandpa are waiting on the other end. That was lovely. :) But yeah, using the visual language and designated font of airports worldwide is both cool and effective and a really good learning opportunity for th ...more
The Styling Librarian
Flight 1-2-3 by Maria van Lieshout – quite thrilled to get a new counting book for the library collection. There will be students inquiring into signs and symbols next year in my Year 2/1st grade class and this book is packed with them! Additionally, we have a student population where most of the children are traveling all over the place, they are used to being on planes and will be quite excited to read a counting book that has to do with travelling.
Miriam
I love this book because it can be used with the very youngest air travellers (something there's constant demand for in a public library)but has enough satisfying detail to keep the attention of older siblings, as well. The graphic design is clean, clear and attractive. Reading it feels, in fact, like an idealized trip to the airport-almost as if going through security was a relaxing experience devised for our amusement...
Sylvester
3* art
4* concept

We're going on a trip, so I read this to Squirt twice a day and talk about all the things we will see and do at the airport and on the airplane. I don't know how much he understands, but I hope to prepare him as much as possible. It's a great book for this - gives lots of opportunity for conversation.
Janet
The graphic stylistic illustrations is totally appropriate for show casing airport signage. This is also a counting book. And it has a storyline conveyed within the illustrations about a family with a young child going to the airport, making a trip and meeting important people at the end of the flight. Depicts the routine of going on a flight. Job well done.
Mary
Like the author's other book Backseat A-B-C, this book uses internationally recognized signage to teach a concept. In this case, signs that one might expect to see in an airport are used to teach number recognition and counting. A good book to teach young kids not only about signs and counting, but also what to expect at the airport.
Margie
We take them for granted but they've been guiding us for decades. Maria van Lieshout points out the signs we might see around an airport. Simple enough for very young readers but enjoyable enough for all ages, this book is perfect in design, layout and delivery.

My full review: http://bit.ly/1cL0pPJ
Becky
Another wonderful children's picture book by van Lieshout! If you are getting ready to take your young ones on a plane trip - this would be the perfect way to prepare them. In a simple style, the author takes you on a trip through the airport, into the airplane, and back home again. Great read!
The Library Lady
This isn't THE book for parents wanting a "going on a plane" book, but it does show a lot of what children taking a plane trip will see on the way to that flight. The bold graphics are outstanding and this also doubles as a counting book, so it's all in all a great package.
Lara
Simple, cute book based around the signs you might see in the airport. Kids interested in airplanes and transportation books will probably enjoy this one, and I can imagine it being especially great for a child to have with him or her on a first airplane ride.
Kathleen
Great book for kids who like planes, but as a counting book it's a bit difficult since there is so much going on in each illustration.

Also, for the 5 trashcans, how many people actually try to bring scissors and baseball bats?
Polly
A nice airport/airplane counting book. Now I know what to give little kids who want to read about airports (planes are easy, but we have one or two who wants airports specifically).
Dannie
A clever little concept book. My 3yo loves airplanes and air travel, so it was great for him.

All the kids' books I've read by Chronicle Books have been great.
Samantha
A counting book that uses airport signage.

Digital illustrations show readers what to expect if they are embarking on a plane trip anytime soon.
Marina
Fun counting book. Illustrated to look like airport signs which was a nice idea. I liked how there was metric conversions for the distances.
Alison
A simple counting book that combines the magic of travel, counting and real airport signs and culture into one.
Jodie
This counting book focuses on traveling via plane and what you encounter at the airport. Unique graphic illustrations that will draw readers in.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • One Gorilla
  • Night Light
  • Lucky Ducklings
  • The World Is Waiting For You
  • Inside Outside
  • Planes Fly!
  • Everyone Can Learn to Ride a Bicycle
  • Have You Seen My Dragon?
  • Tea Party Rules
  • Picture a Tree
  • 123 versus ABC
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Bully
  • Bear and Bee
  • Steam Train, Dream Train
  • Sing
  • Giant Dance Party
  • Moo!
Maria was born in Holland and grew up in a small town just outside of Amsterdam called Oegstgeest.
After finishing high school in Holland, she graduated from George Washington University with a BFA in Visual Communications, and worked for The Coca-Cola Company, first in her native Holland and later in the US.
In 2000, Maria's dream of winning the lottery became a reality. She won the green card lott
More about Maria van Lieshout...
Hopper and Wilson Backseat A-B-See Peep!: A Little Book About Taking a Leap Bloom!: A Little Book About Finding Love Hopper and Wilson Fetch a Star