Struck By Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Struck By Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  6,204 ratings  ·  927 reviews
Struck By Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal follows the story of outcast high school senior Carson Phillips, who blackmails the most popular students in his school into contributing to his literary journal to bolster his college application; his goal in life is to get into Northwestern and eventually become the editor of The New Yorker. At once laugh-out-loud funny, d...more
Published November 20th 2012 by Little Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Struck By Lightning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Struck By Lightning

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsThe School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani
Most loveable characters
9th out of 67 books — 72 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenDivergent by Veronica RothIf I Stay by Gayle FormanWarm Bodies by Isaac MarionThe Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp
Fave books
59th out of 164 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)
Okay, I'll openly admit it, I was very wary of reading this book, simply because it was written by someone from Glee and I really don't like Glee. However, I wanted a quick read so I picked this one up and gave it a go. I'll be honest and say that I'm glad I gave this book a chance - though it was pretty much what I expected, I wasn't disappointed.

Struck By Lightning is the journal of Carson Phillips, a high school senior who is determined to get into Northwestern and become a top editor. Carson...more
Connie Tang
I will be honest, I'm a huge fan of Chris Colfer, but I read this book trying to remain very unbiased.

For SBL the book (which by the way, the movie seems a lot better than the book and I'm extremely extremely excited for it).

This book is too obvious. It spells out exactly what the character is feeling and thinking, which makes sense for a journal-entry novel... but Carson, the main narrator also has such a remarkable clarity of how he's transformed that it's entirely too unrealistic. It rings f...more
Lorythme
I’m sorry for all spelling mistakes as well as the grammar mistakes. I’ll correct them later. Also : SPOILER WARNING

So I got my copy of „ Struck by lightning- The Carson Philips journal” by Chris Colfer today and after aprox. 3-4 hours I finished it.

I love and adore Chris but like in my last comment I want to keep him out of the actual story, so I can judge it without problems. This was a little bit harder this time, since I knew that Carson is played by him. So all the time when I imagined Cars...more
Sabrina *The REAL Princess*
When I found out that Chris Colfer wrote a book:

When I read said book:

That was not what I was expecting ... at all

But that's not saying I didn't like the book; on the contrary, I found myself really enjoying Colfer's book.

What I found surprising was the main character, Carson's overall ... douchiness (for lack of better words). He was well, most definitely not Kurt Hummel! He was conceited and so arragont and simply negative.

I loved him.

He was so genuine and I could visualize Carson roaming the...more
Raeleen Lemay
*3.5*
I really enjoyed this book, but everything in it was way too rushed, Carson was way too cynical, and WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT ENDING? LIKE WHAT, DUDE?

I just finished watching the movie, and I'd HIGHLY recommend just watching it and not reading this book, since the book is basically a written replica of the movie, and while reading the book I got that feeling, that it was basically just the movie written down. The movie was great, and it worked a lot better on screen than it did in book form.
Sean Kennedy
I really like Chris Colfer, and think he is immensely talented, but there is just as much to criticise and analyse with this book as there is to praise. There is some wickedly dark humour in here which I love, especially pertaining to high school, but in the end the story seems to have no purpose. I am left baffled by what Colfer was trying to achieve.

The lead character of Carson Phillips is unlikeable. Yes, I get he was an outcast in his school and that led to him getting a certain enjoyment ou...more
Vivienne
So, I should say something clever here.

It was very good. Not only the story, but the writing as well, and it's such a pleasure, because that's what you see less often when it comes to good books.

If you think you can read it in two days, think again. It's not easy to stomach the venom it contains. A venom, that's more lethal than acid, wasabi and the strongest chili pepper mixed together. It's not an exaggeration.

A lot of readers find it hard to love Carson. Well, do you really think he should be...more
Thomas
Struck By Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal by Chris Colfer details Carson Phillips' struggle to gain admission to the school of his dreams: Northwestern University. He absolutely abhors everyone in his small, narrow-minded town - everyone aside from his ailing grandmother and depressed mom. When he realizes that he needs to create a literary journal to bolster his chances of acceptance, he blackmails various people from myriad social groups to write for him.

I empathized with Carson. Trust...more
Meli
El final fue bastante, "¿eh?"

Es un libro muy sarcástico, muy cínico, detrás de la INMENSA dosis de esas dos cosas presentí bastante resentimiento, pero me gustó, distinto e inesperado.

Carson me resultó un poco odioso (si he de ser franca, no me extraña que todo el mundo lo odiara, pobre), pero me gustó mucho su evolución.

Y definitivamente Chris va mejorando como escritor. Además, para mí sus libros tienen un plus: mi mente los lee con su voz jaja

Reseña completa en LEE.SUEÑA.VUELA :D
Alice
Nov 23, 2012 Alice rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Alice by: Land of Stories
I'll be honest, I am biased towards this book simply because it's written by Chris Colfer, and in my opinion, anything to do with Chris Colfer is going to be incredible. This book does not disappoint. It's quick and easy to read; it's not claiming to be anything else either which is fantastic. The plot is so clever and original. It makes me really excited to see the film, so it definitely crosses off one of it's main functions! The writing is incredible; Chris Colfer does not shy away from his l...more
Monica
Being a huge fan of Chris Colfer, when I heard that he was writing books I decided to check them out. I have The Land of Stories which regretfully I have yet to read (it's not catching my interest enough yet) but I just finished reading his newest book Struck By Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal based of the screenplay that he wrote. I fully expected to go into the book and be amused by it but still feeling that it was juvenile considering what it is about, but I was pleasantly surprised. W...more
Darkshadow
Yorumun orijinali: http://kitaphayvaniningunlugu.blogspo...

Sen nasıl tatlı bir kitapsın öyle!

Struck By Lightning tam Chris'den beklediğim gibi bir kitaptı. Komik, eğlenceli, azıcık da duygusal. Chris Colfer'i tanımayanlar vardır belki diye söylüyorum (gerçekten var mı öyle insanlar?) kendisi Glee'de meşhur olup gözümüzün önünde bebelikten süper seksi bir adama dönüşmüş, ardından The Wishing Spell adlı ilk çocuk romanını yayımlamıştır. Aynı zamanda The Wishing Spell ilk kitabı. Sonra Struck By Li...more
Simay
English version of this review can be viewed at CommunityBookStop.

Bu yorum Zimlicious'ta yayınlanmıştır.

Pek çoğunuz gibi ben de Chris Colfer'i Glee sayesinde tanıdım. Her seferinde de "kimse oktavları onun gibi inip çıkamıyor canıııım" diye ahkam keserim. İzlediğim röportajlarından belli oluyordu yaratıcı bir insan olduğu ama her şeyin üstüne bir de iyi bir yazar olduğu hakkında hiç bir fikrim yoktu!

Tipik bir Amerikalı lise öğrencisi aslında Carson Phillips. Futbol yıldızı stereotipine uymasa da...more
Sue Seligman
Dec 01, 2012 Sue Seligman rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: high schoolers
Recommended to Sue by: saw it online
I have been an adult Gleek for many years, particularly because my daughter had always been involved in the theatre programs in and out of school. I enjoyed watching Chris Colfer's portrayal of Kurt Hummel develop over the years, and I respect him as an actor and a role model for children everywhere. Knowing that he struggled with his identity as a gay teenager, and used his struggles to effectively relate to his peers both on screen and off made me admire him even more. My cousin's son, about t...more
Rebecca
So I've just finished this book ... and I want to begin with saying that it was completely HILARIOUS!

Sure, I was already expecting a lot, from reading it, but it still kept on surprising me a lot through-out the whole reading.

So, Carson Philip is a 17 year old boy who lives in a small (also small-minded) town, Clover. The town itself has around 9000 people in it, and he practically hate everyone, except his grandmother.

Carson write a journal. Almost everyday, for around a year. It's mostly, o...more
Emily Stringham
This easily jumped up to take the spot of my 'favorite book'. It's cynical, sarcastic, and brutally honest. It puts high school into perspective- and, in doing so, makes some profound statements about the education system. "... elementary school, aka the first place they try to brainwash you in a small town." (6) "Can I please just say that it has been scientifically proven that teenagers learn and test better when they go to school later in the day? Which I suppose would be taken into considera...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://www.longandshortreviews.com/bo...

My high school was never this interesting.

I’ve never watched Glee and I didn’t know anything about Chris Colfer before I read this book. Maybe I’ve lived under a rock, but that’s okay. When I passed this book at the store, I stopped to check it out. The title grabbed me right away. Struck by Lightning. Okay, I’ll give it a try. I’m glad I did.

Carson Phillips is the standard outcast kid with huge dreams. He’s not had the best start in...more
Brynn Hoffman
This book was a nice, fairly short read, but it was also a very unique story. I had heard of the author, Chris Colfer and seen him on the show Glee, which I enjoy watching, but I wasn't sure if this book would be a success. After reading it though, I was very surprised at how good of an author he was. Overall, I thought that this book was unique, different, and very entertaining.

It's about a boy named Carson Phillips who is sort of a bitter person who has very sarcastic thoughts and says very w...more
Ashlee
I'll admit it, I LOVE Chris Colfer and I LOVED SBL when I saw it in July. So I was VERY excited for this to come out (The amount of times my mom has had to endure me talking about everything Chris Colfer is sad, really. :P)

Honestly my only complaint about it is the scenes I LOVED in the book that I wanted to be in the movie but weren't. And some of the information in the book doesn't fit in with the movie, but it can be ignored very easily.

(view spoiler)...more
Lindsey
Chris Colfer has done it again. I fell in love with his first book and I'm in love with this one too. The way he creates his characters are amazing. He is able to create a character that everyone can relate to at one time in their life. There is the jock, the cheerleader, the nerd, the one always getting into trouble, and of course the one who wants to be the best but is at the bottom of the food chain.

Carson Phillips, the main character, tells his story through his journal and he wants the bes...more
Brooke

Pretty awesome and gripping the whole time. I was never bored, and there were little twists that I enjoyed a lot. Also, I liked all the pop culture references. Some people say that makes a book dated, but personally I want to remember exactly the time I read this when I go back and read it for the 40th time when I'm 70.
Part of this is because I relate to Carson (and several of the other characters) so much. They feel like all different facets of my own life experience, and I want to remember ex...more
Aria-the-fault-in-our-stars_FANATIC-:)-PARAWHORE and proud
Can't freaking wait to see the movie! Of course you can't get it in stores so I have to go to a DVD hire or online to buy it
:( saw the trailer, it was soo funny
Heba
Definiely between a 4.5 and a 5 star rating for this one.
A perfect read for me, after having just finished an EXTREMELY emotionally-filled book, I really enjoyed this novel by Colfer.
Already being a favorite movie of mine, Struck by Lightning is funny, witty, clever, and despite the very cynical narrator, surprisingly optimistic.
I especially appreciate the message the main character, Carson Phillips, sends out to high schoolers, and teens in general. Coming from a broken home, and living in a de...more
Sophie {Bibliophile by Nature}
"Sometimes a personal rain cloud can be deadly."

description

Well, I read this book rather fast. Meanwhile, Blood Red Road is just lying in the corner waiting to be picked up. Not that's it bad, but I've been reading it for forever since I'm sharing the Nook with my sister and she just will not give it to me, ugh.
I like Chris Colfer. I think he's talented and funny and a great singer. And all of my friends loved this book. So I started reading this book nervous, but with high expectations.
This book is r...more
Emma (Miss Print)
Jianne
Who knew that Chris Colfer is one amazing author!

I love Struck By Lightning so much because I see myself as Carson's character. I see myself as him. Like really, really relate. This is such a fun, humorous and well-connected read. I find myself chuckling and laughing like a mad girl from beginning to end. The way Colfer writes is just like any other teenagers out there and even like the way I write (sometimes!) There's so much humor in every page that makes it so unputtdownable to the reader!

I l...more
Cheyanne
First of all, I'd like to give my favorite quote from this book. "Sometimes a personal rain cloud can be deadly."

If you've seen Glee you will know that Chris Colfer's character is Kurt Hummel. Either Chris Colfer really is his Glee character in real life or he wrote his Glee character into a novel and renamed him Carson Phillips. I say this because Chris Colfer=Kurt Hummel=Carson Phillips.

I thought this book was pretty kitschy but I wanted to give it a try because I had read articles in Entert...more
Enchantedtoreadyou
I honestly picked that book up because I am a fan of Chris on Glee. But that it would turn out to be my favourite book in 2012 came out as a surprise. It was witty, emotional and totally gripping. Even though it was short, it still was stuffed with hilarious comments, cynical thoughts and very true and through-thought passages. The characters he created were all placed carefully and contributed to the whole.
All in all, I gushed about this book over an hour, but my fingers would hurt too much if...more
Taylor
There seems to be a lot of wavering reviews about this book. For me, even though it's different than the normal genre of books I read, Struck By Lightning turned out to be one of the best books I've ever read. It was not only impossible to put down but also sarcastic, witty and humorous.

I guess one of the reasons people rate this book down is because of the main character: Carson Phillips. Carson is a difficult character, yes, but he isn't annoying or painful. He is just difficult to understand...more
The Ending?? 4 55 Mar 29, 2014 09:08AM
the book 1 44 Dec 27, 2012 05:01PM
  • Choosing Glee: 10 Rules to Finding Inspiration, Happiness, and the Real You
  • The Paradox of Vertical Flight
  •  How to Rock Break-Ups and Make-Ups
  • Brunette Ambition
  • Summer Break (Glee, #3)
  • The Bully Book
  • Me and Mr. Booker
  • I Am What I Am
  • Tyranny
  • McFly - Unsaid Things... Our Story
  • Wide Awake
  • PLAY (PLAY, #1)
  • Los días que nos separan
  • The Sound of Your Voice, Only Really Far Away
  • Hick
  • Geekhood: Close Encounters of the Girl Kind
  • The Look
  • Kiss and Tell: A Romantic Résumé, Ages 0 to 22
4919495
Chris Colfer is an Emmy-nominated and Golden Globe-winning actor best-known for his portrayal of Kurt Hummel on the FOX television series "Glee".

He is also a New York Times bestselling author whose books include the first three novels in the "Land of Stories" series ("The Wishing Spell", "The Enchantress Returns" and "A Grimm Warning") as well as "Struck By Lightning: The Carson Philips Journal"...more
More about Chris Colfer...
The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1) The Enchantress Returns (The Land of Stories, #2) A Grimm Warning (The Land of Stories, #3) Untitled (The Land of Stories, #4) The Curvy Tree (The Land of Stories Companion)

“...because a life without meaning, without drive or focus, without dreams or goals, isn't a life worth living.” 222 likes
“You've got to show the world who you are before it tells you. Otherwise you become victim to someone you're not.” 185 likes