Start by marking “Nothing But Blue Skies” as Want to Read:
Nothing But Blue Skies

Nothing But Blue Skies

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  685 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
There are many reasons why British summers are either non-existent or, alternatively, held on a Thursday. Many of these reasons are either scientific, mad, or both-but all of them are wrong, especially the scientific ones. The real reason why it rains perpetually from January 1st to December 31st is, of course, irritable Chinese Water Dragons. Karen is one such legendary c ...more
Published September 4th 2012 by Orbit (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Nothing But Blue Skies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing But Blue Skies

Meran
Jonathan
Nov 04, 2014 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tom Holt is ... twisted. In a good, very British way. He takes those imaginary things that we would half like to believe in, and puts them into the real world. He fits very nicely on a shelf with Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

In this story, we see the world through the eyes of a girl whose life is complicated by the fact that she is a dragon. And there is someone out there who would like to study dragons, or at least parts of them, hoping to be able to control the weather.

Tom Holt is darker an
Nathan Dehoff
May 04, 2016 Nathan Dehoff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe this is one of Holt's more popular books, or at least it's the first one I received as a recommendation. Although it largely deals with themes and concepts Holt had addressed in other books, it seems much better organized than the others I've read recently. Based on rain-producing dragons from Chinese mythology, it has as its main protagonist a dragon who's decided to live as a human named Karen. When she learns that her father has been kidnapped, she sets out to find him. While the ac ...more
Michael
Feb 06, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forget all you have read about why it rains. The real reason it rains is... dragons. Most of us just aren't aware of it. Dragons are able to change their shape to human and walk unnoticed amongst us. They can also become goldfish, but that seems to be the limit. What follows is a tale of misunderstood weathermen, true love, family ties, corporate greed and government stupidity. Along the way, Holt skewers many facets of human existence, making us laugh because it's funny and shake our heads beca ...more
Rajiv Perseedoss
One of the funniest books ever written - tom holt is an amazing writer. This book does an amazing mix of comedy, hilariousness, serious stuff, stereotyping, thriller and awesomeness - hard to get a better deal.
First and foremost though, its very british - the fact that a british writer writes using the british context (weather, pub, BT, TFL, people, manners, newspapers, and etc) is just too funny. At many times, he reinforces the english stereotype and makes it sound so funny. He's right though
Jul 30, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humour
Karen the dragon (not her dragon name, obviously...) falls in love with a human and takes human form in order to be with him. Which doesn't exactly go as planned. Particularly since her father tries to find her and is captured by a weatherman who has discovered that dragons make it rain who then somehow forces him to take goldfish form (dragon, human and goldfish seems to be their limit in terms of shapes; this smacks of poor research - you'd have thought they'd have chosen a panther or a Jack R ...more
Hope N
My first foray into Tom Holt's psychotic and hysterical universe: rain-controlling dragons, depressed weathermen, conspiracy theorists... This book only gets weirder and better as you go along. I'll be reading more of Holt soon!
George
Nov 28, 2009 George rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am really between 2 and 3 with this one, because though its chock full of British wit and quirky narrative, it was almost too full to be enjoyed properly. That being said, this book was an occasional tudgue to read, and there never was that moment when I was compelled to read to find out what happened next. There was no urgency no matter the conflict, and though perhaps that's the point...it bothered me in the long run.

I'm sorta impressed I read it the whole way through.

But on the plus side,
Katy
Jun 26, 2014 Katy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was glad to be reading this book during a typical British summer. Pretty funny, I don't usually like fantasy or sci-fi, but this was lighthearted enough for me. :)
Dark-Draco
Sep 10, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humour, dragons
Another wacky tale from Holt, this one explaining why it always rains on English Bank Holidays and that's why we had such a great empire!! Basically, it's down to Dragons, chinese weather dragons to be exact, and when one of them absconds from her responsibilities and takes up human form (all for love you understand!), she sparks off a series of events that could undermine the climate of the whole world - or at least make England look like a lake!!

Really funny, a great idea for a plot and fantas
Daryl
Feb 11, 2015 Daryl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read a few Tom Holt books in the past and love his sense of humour but have never found myself enjoying the story of the novel. I seem to struggle to follow what is going on in all his novels. Primarily I have read them because his sense of humour is so enjoyable.
Derek Baldwin
Mediocre. Plot soon gets boring, style of writing is unexceptional, and this is nowhere near as funny, or clever, as the author seemed to think it was. A good example is his use of the word "draconian" as in "draconian instincts" to convey "the instincts of a dragon". He needs to check his dictionary. That's a minor point, sure, but it reinforced my impression that this had been written in a hurry and never revised.
Gareth
Aug 11, 2011 Gareth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Seemingly like many others I found this a bit plodding. The narrative was hard to follow in places, particularly during dialogue, and the plot was a bit pedestrian and laboured. Think I tried this on the back of the endorsement of Rob Grant (of the Guardian) that appears on the cover of the version I have; "uniquely twisted ... cracking gags". I wonder how much he got paid to tell bare-faced lies ...
Herma Kooiman-klaassen
this is the first Tom Holt book I ever read and after reading more of his books, I really think this is the best one. He tells the story which such wit and sarcasm that you feel sorry for the characters. You almost want to help them and you want to keep on reading to find out if everything will be alright, even though with Tom Holt, you can never be sure how a story ends until you get to the end.
Catherine
Dec 29, 2009 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
Tom Holt is always good for cheering up a rainy day - even when he is writing about rain and its causes. There are digs at all sorts of targets in this book, along with the usual puns and surreal mixture of mythologies (plural) and invention. I'm glad he's a prolific writer and I'm glad there are many more of his books left for me to read.
Katherine
Jan 13, 2010 Katherine rated it it was ok
This is more of 2 and 1/2 stars, for much the same reasons as other reviewers: it's cute and very British, reminiscent of Pratchett or Adams, but it kinda goes all over the place and drags in bits. I hate to say but I was kinda tapping my foot getting to the end.
Samuel
Nov 02, 2007 Samuel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious! I picked this off a library shelf out of curiosity, and I was rewarded. An imaginative explanation for the perpetual rain in Britain - Chinese water dragons. Wickedly executed. Tom Holt's style reminds me of Terry Pratchett and Christopher Moore.
Liz
Mar 10, 2008 Liz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know this author, although he has a billion books out and is apparently a well-known British comedic fantasy writer. It was ok, mildly entertaining, but not really that funny. Try Good Omens instead.
Carol
Aug 29, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hahaha! I laughed so much with this book, I mean the fact that Chinese dragons are behind rain in the UK is just amazing, and we have Karen, a furious dragon on the loose!
Kacey
Jan 24, 2014 Kacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: escapism
I must find a copy of this book. I was lent it by a friend years back and would love to revisit...
Vikas Datta
Began promisingly but ending seemed a little hurried
Mollie
Feb 27, 2009 Mollie marked it as wishlist  ·  review of another edition
Nothing But Blue Skies by Tom Holt (2004)
Cc Barrett
I recommend anything by Tom Holt.
Gregory Peloquin
Gregory Peloquin marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
N C A Jones
N C A Jones marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Jorie
Jorie marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Sarah Bruce
Sarah Bruce rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Malcolm Gardner
Malcolm Gardner marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2016
  • Web Site Story
  • A Tourist Guide to Lancre
Tom Holt (Thomas Charles Louis Holt; born September 13, 1961) is a British novelist.
He was born in London, the son of novelist Hazel Holt, and was educated at Westminster School, Wadham College, Oxford, and The College of Law, London.
Holt's works include mythopoeic novels which parody or take as their theme various aspects of mythology, history or literature and develop them in new and often humor
More about Tom Holt...