Start by marking “Nothing But Blue Skies” as Want to Read:
Nothing But Blue Skies

Nothing But Blue Skies

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  480 ratings  ·  18 reviews
There are many reasons why British summers are either non-existent or, alternatively, held on a Thursday. Many of these reasons are either scientific, mad, or both-but all of them are wrong, especially the scientific ones. The real reason why it rains perpetually from January 1st to December 31st is, of course, irritable Chinese Water Dragons. Karen is one such legendary c...more
Published September 4th 2012 by Orbit (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Nothing But Blue Skies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing But Blue Skies

Meran
Rajiv Perseedoss
One of the funniest books ever written - tom holt is an amazing writer. This book does an amazing mix of comedy, hilariousness, serious stuff, stereotyping, thriller and awesomeness - hard to get a better deal.
First and foremost though, its very british - the fact that a british writer writes using the british context (weather, pub, BT, TFL, people, manners, newspapers, and etc) is just too funny. At many times, he reinforces the english stereotype and makes it sound so funny. He's right though...more
Karen the dragon (not her dragon name, obviously...) falls in love with a human and takes human form in order to be with him. Which doesn't exactly go as planned. Particularly since her father tries to find her and is captured by a weatherman who has discovered that dragons make it rain who then somehow forces him to take goldfish form (dragon, human and goldfish seems to be their limit in terms of shapes; this smacks of poor research - you'd have thought they'd have chosen a panther or a Jack R...more
George
I am really between 2 and 3 with this one, because though its chock full of British wit and quirky narrative, it was almost too full to be enjoyed properly. That being said, this book was an occasional tudgue to read, and there never was that moment when I was compelled to read to find out what happened next. There was no urgency no matter the conflict, and though perhaps that's the point...it bothered me in the long run.

I'm sorta impressed I read it the whole way through.

But on the plus side,...more
Katy
I was glad to be reading this book during a typical British summer. Pretty funny, I don't usually like fantasy or sci-fi, but this was lighthearted enough for me. :)
Dark-Draco
Another wacky tale from Holt, this one explaining why it always rains on English Bank Holidays and that's why we had such a great empire!! Basically, it's down to Dragons, chinese weather dragons to be exact, and when one of them absconds from her responsibilities and takes up human form (all for love you understand!), she sparks off a series of events that could undermine the climate of the whole world - or at least make England look like a lake!!

Really funny, a great idea for a plot and fantas...more
Derek Baldwin
Mediocre. Plot soon gets boring, style of writing is unexceptional, and this is nowhere near as funny, or clever, as the author seemed to think it was. A good example is his use of the word "draconian" as in "draconian instincts" to convey "the instincts of a dragon". He needs to check his dictionary. That's a minor point, sure, but it reinforced my impression that this had been written in a hurry and never revised.
Gareth
Seemingly like many others I found this a bit plodding. The narrative was hard to follow in places, particularly during dialogue, and the plot was a bit pedestrian and laboured. Think I tried this on the back of the endorsement of Rob Grant (of the Guardian) that appears on the cover of the version I have; "uniquely twisted ... cracking gags". I wonder how much he got paid to tell bare-faced lies ...
Herma Kooiman-klaassen
this is the first Tom Holt book I ever read and after reading more of his books, I really think this is the best one. He tells the story which such wit and sarcasm that you feel sorry for the characters. You almost want to help them and you want to keep on reading to find out if everything will be alright, even though with Tom Holt, you can never be sure how a story ends until you get to the end.
Catherine
Tom Holt is always good for cheering up a rainy day - even when he is writing about rain and its causes. There are digs at all sorts of targets in this book, along with the usual puns and surreal mixture of mythologies (plural) and invention. I'm glad he's a prolific writer and I'm glad there are many more of his books left for me to read.
Kate
This is more of 2 and 1/2 stars, for much the same reasons as other reviewers: it's cute and very British, reminiscent of Pratchett or Adams, but it kinda goes all over the place and drags in bits. I hate to say but I was kinda tapping my foot getting to the end.
Samuel
Hilarious! I picked this off a library shelf out of curiosity, and I was rewarded. An imaginative explanation for the perpetual rain in Britain - Chinese water dragons. Wickedly executed. Tom Holt's style reminds me of Terry Pratchett and Christopher Moore.
Liz
I don't know this author, although he has a billion books out and is apparently a well-known British comedic fantasy writer. It was ok, mildly entertaining, but not really that funny. Try Good Omens instead.
Uyuki
Hahaha! I laughed so much with this book, I mean the fact that Chinese dragons are behind rain in the UK is just amazing, and we have Karen, a furious dragon on the loose!
Kacey
I must find a copy of this book. I was lent it by a friend years back and would love to revisit...
Vikas Datta
Began promisingly but ending seemed a little hurried
Mollie
Feb 27, 2009 Mollie marked it as wishlist  ·  review of another edition
Nothing But Blue Skies by Tom Holt (2004)
Cc Barrett
I recommend anything by Tom Holt.
Clala
Clala marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Connor
Connor marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Chris
Chris is currently reading it
Oct 17, 2014
Natasja
Natasja is currently reading it
Oct 16, 2014
Radini
Radini is currently reading it
Oct 06, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
  • Web Site Story
Tom Holt (Thomas Charles Louis Holt; born September 13, 1961) is a British novelist.
He was born in London, the son of novelist Hazel Holt, and was educated at Westminster School, Wadham College, Oxford, and The College of Law, London.
Holt's works include mythopoeic novels which parody or take as their theme various aspects of mythology, history or literature and develop them in new and often humor...more
More about Tom Holt...
The Portable Door Expecting Someone Taller You Don't Have to Be Evil to Work Here, But it Helps In Your Dreams Earth, Air, Fire and Custard