Start by marking “Barking” as Want to Read:
Barking

Barking

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  822 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Duncan's boss doesn't think he's cut out to be a lawyer. He isn't a pack animal. He lacks the killer instinct. But when his best friend from school barges his way back into Duncan's life, along with a full supporting cast of lawyers, ex-wives, zombies, and snow-white unicorns, it's not long before things become distinctly unsettling. Hairy, even.
ebook
Published September 4th 2012 by Orbit (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Barking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barking

Soho_black
I've tended to avoid comic fantasy in recent years. Part of the reason for this is that no matter how hard I've tried, I've always failed to find anything that could match up to Pratchett and Gaiman's "Good Omens" for comedy value. I tried Matthew Thomas' "Before and After", which turned out to be a pale imitation of "Good Omens". I was encouraged to try Robert Rankin on the recommendation of friends, but didn't find his brand of humour to my taste.

I am, however, a big fan of comedy. In films an
Sara
Annette
I read this book over several week's time in my favorite local bookstore - the one with lots of comfy seating encouraging you to try before you buy - before finally purchasing it when the new baby made it clear that reading for more than 5 minutes at a stretch in a public place was going to be pretty unlikely for the next few months (years).
It was worth the price: Tom Holt is a new favorite. I really enjoy his blend of the depressingly mundane and the fantastic, as in this book starring a group
Vergast
This was my first Tom Holt book, follow ups included a quick read i cant find here but was awesome in its portrayal of a man creeping along a tunnel hunting a monster. Of course this lead me to the second proper book of his i have which is 'you dont have to be evil to work here but it helps' which compaired to this one is a let down not only because an ex gf caught me reading it and is now convinced that she turned me to Tom Holt and now uses this whenere i run into her (which is too often we sh ...more
Leigh Terry
Dueling old-firm law agencies -- vampires versus werewolves. Unicorns tempting men all across Great Britain. Zombies employed in menial task positions as a way to undercut off-shoring employment. Star-crossed lovers. And the philosophical debate of who actually declares you dead -- the coroner or the government's tax authority. Simply marvelous.

Wonderfully zany, and advert for one of my favorite novels, "A Dirty Job" by Christopher Moore in the back.
Judith
Barking by Tom Holt starts off a bit dull unless you are terribly fond of puns or your ideal protagonist is a hopeless twit who became a tax lawyer and found his work really boring. Once you give serious consideration to Holt's idea, however, that the practice of law is really better suited to werewolves and vampires than humans, things pick up rather nicely. How lawyers accommodate the effects of a full moon, for example, makes for some colorful scenes, and eventually when it happens that the s ...more
Brian
Barking is a clever book that combines the common theme of vampires versus werewolves with the not-so-common theme of, well, lawyers. The result is a book full of inside jokes about practicing law in England with enough of the supernatural thrown in to keep non-lawyers interested. The only thing that bothered me was Holt's inability to avoid too much of a good thing. The biggest example of this is his climax-by-dialogue in which minor bursts of action are interspersed between really long convers ...more
Jennie
I made it through the first hundred pages or so, then kind of got stalled. As with all of the Holt books I've read, the story starts out strong and funny, and then just buries itself in too-complex plots, a lot of talking about the plot, and a lot of nonsense to just muddy the waters. It's unfortunate, because with some tighter editing I could probably really enjoy these. The way it stands, though, there's just too much unrealized potential.

I don't know what's more disappointing: the fact that
Vikas Datta
Wowie! A biting (pun intended) satire on the most honourable legal profession!
Lori Whitwam
What do you do when you're a mediocre lawyer who hates his job? And your best friend from school (who you now realized you never liked all that much), shows up again? And you're suddenly fired from your job? And your old friend bites you and you are instantly a werewolf? But you now make tons of money? Then find out your ex-wife is actually a vampire? And you now have an urge to chase a unicorn, and gnaw table legs, and can catch a rubber ball almost before you realize it's been thrown?

Read "Bar
Tim Robinson
Too slow. Not funny enough. Or have I just outgrown him?
Bonnie
I needed a book to read on my final retur trip home from my days in Holland. What I didn't realize was that the info on the back cover should have been taken literaly and not as an overtone. The book took me by surprise, but Tom Holt does have a funny sense about him when writing this book. A couple times the story was hard to follow, but as I read on everything unfolded into the big picture. If you like stories of vampires and werewolves in the non traditional sense, then this book is for you.
Jessica Brennan
Tom Holt is fun and clever. This wasn't my favorite book of his, but I enjoyed the silliness. Werewolves and vampires and lawyers, oh my!
Jenny DuRoss
Brilliant. Utterly brilliant. I work at a law firm and that made this book even more laugh out loud funny than it already is. My boss borrowed it and never wanted to give it back, he loved it so much. Once again, Tom Holt manages to take the most ordinary, boring job and turn it into something hilarious and bizarre - all while maintaining the mundane realities that make you feel as though he could be talking about your own office.
Bookfrogglin
This was given to me as a present and having never read any Tom Holt before I was pleasantly suprised (I was told he could be "a bit patchy"). I found it funny, imaginative and relatively well paced. The twisty plot made it a bit less predicatble, and the characters had enough depth to keep me engaged. It was a nice way to spend an afternoon when the alternative was taking a very yappy dog (not mine) for a christmas walk...
Corinna
I picked up this book as a filler to cure my book hangover; I just finished The Tiger's Wife and both books from Patrick Rothfuss' The Kingkiller Chronicle and this seemed a light enough read.

There were a few haha moments in the book but those occurred more in my head, than me chortling aloud. There was still a distinct Tom Holt voice in the book, but the messy story plot 3/4 in the book, was a bit distracting.
Ryan
May 08, 2008 Ryan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy and Humor readers
Without a doubt, this is Holt's most sensible book... and I mean that in a good way. He tends to start off solidly, develop an intriguing climax, and then lose me by the last third of the book. I still enjoy reading to the end, but I don't always get everything that happened. 'Barking' still has a bit of that, but it's far easier to follow, and that allows Holt's humor to shine through. Highly recommended.
Carrie Anne
Holt finished this up in lovely style, and I enjoy his witty, clean, crisp narration. His characters were not likeable, yet I found myself wanting them to succeed- violently, badly, and it kept me reading. The contrast between the "real" life he'd been living before and his "new" life as a werewolf was at times hilarious, at times delightful.
Ross
Mar 30, 2009 Ross rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Christopher Moore.
This is a funny book, and definitely exemplifies British humor at its best, and occasionally, its worst (it sometimes reads like an overdone Monty Python sketch). Some of descriptions of the law firm life and rivalvries are pretty dead-on, and the descriptions of lawyers as vampires, werewolves and zombie warlords is sadly not that unimaginable.
Kris Nichols
I quite liked this, bought on a shelf recommendation at Powell's in Portland, OR. Author's sense of humor was great, and I had a few out-loud chuckles while reading it. The last third of the book gets a little convoluted before the big ending, though, and I had to just sort of plow through assuming it would all make more sense later on.
Angie McGinley
I would say, it was OK. A little bit confusing at times, but the main character was confused so I guess I shared his journey. I guess I expected a little bit more and it seemed like the story was all over the place at times. It was still a fun read, and werewolf, vampire zombie lawyers is a hilarious combo.
Jay Little
It was... okay. Sure, it's a story of vampires and werewolves, but at least there are a few things to make it different, if not interesting. Granted, they are obvious and hit you over the head. Not a big fan of Holt's writing style -- he writes as if he's congratuling himself on what a clever writer he is.
Margery
My first Tom Holt book, I was drawn to it because I liked the font he used for his name then saw the cover art and chuckled, then read the back. Bought 12 more after this one and that is really not much a dent in the Tom Holt library. Worth buying the paperbacks, you will lend them to friends.
Angelique
Strange story but I liked it.
Kara
This is an incredibly long book. It is British humor which I don't get. I thought the ending was kind of anti-climatic. It is a nice twist vampires and werewolves that are lawyers. A shape shifting unicorn that is queen of the zombies and enemy to vamps and weres.
Mike Klein
My favorite Tom Holt book so far. Still the subtle British humor and obscure (to me) British references. Still the real complicated and maybe not completely consistent plot, and a lot of fun.
Louise Armstrong
Funny in the tradtion of Biggles and P.G. Woodehouse. Nobody gets hurt, the chaps have fun, and there's a smashing girl at the end.

'Intution is a bit like your mother - it tends to call when you'r ein the middle of something else.'
Jordan
I loved this book! Tom Holt's writing style is unique and absorbing. It can get a little 'gimmicky' after a while, but the story holds you through to the end. I adore fantasy like this, it made me laugh out loud again and again!
Debbie McGowan
One of my favourite books by Tom Holt - not sure how much further I can go without spoiling the plot, but it involves lawyers at loggerheads, and for something a little more supernatural than the usual reasons.
  • The Brentford Chainstore Massacre
  • A Song for Nero
  • A Fate Worse Than Dragons
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
  • The Bible (the Old Testament) According to Spike Milligan
  • The Fat Man: A Tale of North Pole Noir
  • Final Diagnosis (Sector General, #10)
Tom Holt (Thomas Charles Louis Holt; born September 13, 1961) is a British novelist.
He was born in London, the son of novelist Hazel Holt, and was educated at Westminster School, Wadham College, Oxford, and The College of Law, London.
Holt's works include mythopoeic novels which parody or take as their theme various aspects of mythology, history or literature and develop them in new and often humor
More about Tom Holt...
The Portable Door (J. W. Wells & Co., #1) Expecting Someone Taller You Don't Have to Be Evil to Work Here, But it Helps (J. W. Wells & Co., #4) In Your Dreams (J. W. Wells & Co., #2) Who's Afraid of Beowulf?

“Mostly I sit at home in the evenings watching the box and hoping that one day I'll evolve into plankton.” 10 likes