Little People

Little People

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  484 ratings  ·  30 reviews
"I was eight years old when I saw my first elf." And for unlikely hero Michael it was his last. Cruella, Michael's unfortunately named girlfriend, doesn't approve of his obsession with the little people. But the problem is that they won't leave him alone. And who can blame them when it's Michael's own stepfather who's responsible for causing them so much misery? Oh yes. Da...more
Published September 4th 2012 by Orbit (first published June 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Little People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little People

PRL
Not the best book by Tom Holt, but not the worst either. It was rather inconsistent in its universe construction though, especially concerning the rules on what is and is not possible in its two worlds.

The humour was all present and correct and the first person narrative was a welcome change, but something was missing.

(view spoiler)...more
Victor Hallmark
My absolute favorite Tom Holt story! I only picked it up because there was a note near the Pratchett section of my local bookstore saying that if I liked Pratchett and Douglas Adams I might want to try Holt.

How right they were!
Tarah
I only want to clarify that I did not have this creepy-ass cover on my book. Funny enough- worth my bathroom time.
Jakub
I seem to have enjoyed a Tom Holt's novel at one point in the past. Having read "Little People" I can't imagine why. Our "hero", Mike Higgins is a wimp even by Holt's standards, he's not even a nerd. Nerds are smart. As usual, he has a hyper-competent, smart girlfriend who's too good for him, and as usual he's a Destined Hero who's totally incompetent. Other characters don't even get names, except for Daddy George, our "villain" who has no depth, no motivation and no actual competence.

I really n...more
Robin
At age eight, Mike Higgins was playing Captain Kirk in his backyard when he spotted a tiny, green-skinned man with pointy ears, leaning against a head of lettuce and smoking a hand-rolled cigarette. "'Mummy, mummy,' I yelled out as I ran back into the house. Guess what! There are Vulcans at the bottom of our garden!'" Being the boy who saw an elf shapes the course of his life from that point forward—a life fraught with inadequacy and disappointment, conflict with his rich stepfather, mediocrity...more
Mike Klein
Tom Holt is the English equivalent of Christopher Moore. The big difference is that Mr. Moore puts setup/punchline sets in his chapters, while Mr. Holt is much more subtle and restrained. Douglas Adams is an apt and accurate comparison. Where they are alike is that they both are not shy about setting up outrageous situations but then living within the constraints set up. They also are both very very funny and well worth reading.

This is his first book (or at least the earliest of his works that o...more
April Tolliver
Im not sure why I read the entire book. I found it slow, boring and not funny. One line made me laugh a bit. I spent quite a bit of time thinking i was reading a kids book with Curse words. this was my first tom holt book and Probably the last.
Anna Evans
this only has two stars on amazon, probably because the ending is not a straight up happy ever after deal, but I enjoyed the complexity.
Megan Davisson
I can honestly say that I have never been more disappointed by a read like this before. The book had several lacking elements: The humor was terrible and dry, the story line had no twists, the characters were dull, and worst of all, there was no message behind the story. I had to force myself through each paragraph hoping it would get better, only to be disappointed. If you want to read a bland story about a fictional world just to do it, then read it. However, entertainment will be absent. But...more
Mike
I have the Orbit release...TOO MANY TYPOS!!! At first I thought that I was missing something or that the slight differences in UK and US English were getting to me. But lo-and-behold the book (Orbit edition) is chock full of errors, I'm not sure if it's a printing issue or what but it was frustrating to read.

As far as the story, I think it's great. Like the other Holt stories I have read, I found the plotline complex but not convoluted. I really enjoy the mundane mixed with the supernatural char...more
Martin Willoughby
This is not one of his better books and suffers from an editor without a ruthless streak.

I can live with the ending he provides (sad not funny), but there is too much long-windedness in this book to make entertaining for the general reader.

Fans of Tom Holt's writing will enjoy this a little, but I doubt many others would and it wouldn't be missed on a bookshelf.
Suburbangardener
I loved this book, but the ending ruined it for me. I actually laughed out loud a few times while reading this, but then I do know a lot of life & politics in Britain. This book is in need of a good editor. There was one point where the character makes a comedic remark that he couldn't possibly have knowledge about. Typos bounded across the pages with abandon.
Beth
This is a very silly sci-fi story about a young man's ability to see elves, and the consequences that come from that. Not great literature, but if you're in the mood to read a ridiculously silly story, this is a good start.

I'd read another Tom Hold book - some of his works are better known (Expecting Someone Taller), and may be better.
Brad
it was kind of a playful book. definately got better about halfway through but wasn't great. some turns in the plot just seemed too convenient and made it just "playful" rather than really interesting. and there were several typos or correctly spelling but wrong usage. what the hell do they editor's for if they can't catch those type of things.
Chester
Disappointing. The story was rather bland and insipid. It lacked the humor unlike most of Holt's books, while it did try to make it up with a slightly less complicated plot, the story became boring and predictable. The conclusion killed the weak story, and this is certainly not Holt at his best.
Kevin
Would not recommend. The author couldn't seem to make up his mind about the rules he'd created between our world and 'elf-land'. If that wasn't distracting enough, there were far too many typographical errors. Poor show Tom Holt, and your publisher.
Henrik Andersson
By far the darkest (comedic) book of Holts'. Imaginative as always, but just not... funny. It was quite a heavy read, and I left the book with pretty much the only feeling that I felt so bad for Cru. Certainly my least favourite Holt book so far.
Christina
Intriguing. Probably hysterical for Brit-philes more current with things British than myself, but I still found it amusing. Found the ending a bit odd, going from rather comedic romp to serious interpretation of a Sting lyric all in 6 pages...
Loren Toddy
Surprisingly funny and very odd. I did love the writing style and how the writer set up the imagery. Not great mind you but it a fun read if you are not too critical. People who love fantasy and sarcasm would love this book. I did.
Ben Chenoweth
Well, I kept reading out of politeness. But, really, Tom Holt's best work happened a long time ago (Overtime, Faust Among Equals). But this was slow, unfunny and a waste of time...
Katrina Poole
Didn't get it.... Had to read for a book club - tried to read further into it for any double meaning or analogy to life's experiences? Don't think so, just a silly fantasy piece to me.
Angela
I've enjoyed all the Holt I've read so far - got through this one pretty much in one sitting while home from work sick. Not too hard on a fuzzy brain.
Agata
Well, there were parts where I quit lost it, but all in all a very funnily written, witty little book. Easy reading, a lot of laughing.
cathbodua59
First of Tom Holts that I read. It was a strange and eerie journey; but, the conclusion sums it up to be a very good read.
Andrea
Middle of the road for TH, ends rather abruptly (and unsatisfyingly)
John Hobbs
Aug 20, 2008 John Hobbs rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who hates characters they are supposed to love. Sadists.
Great book, hated the ending with a violent passion.
Mollie
Feb 27, 2009 Mollie marked it as wishlist  ·  review of another edition
Little People by Tom Holt (2003)
Manoj
Ending spoilt it all.
Cheryl
Ending was a bit off, though.
  • Sex & Drugs & Sausage Rolls
Tom Holt (Thomas Charles Louis Holt; born September 13, 1961) is a British novelist.
He was born in London, the son of novelist Hazel Holt, and was educated at Westminster School, Wadham College, Oxford, and The College of Law, London.
Holt's works include mythopoeic novels which parody or take as their theme various aspects of mythology, history or literature and develop them in new and often humor...more
More about Tom Holt...
The Portable Door Expecting Someone Taller You Don't Have to Be Evil to Work Here, But it Helps In Your Dreams Earth, Air, Fire and Custard