Start by marking “Grailblazers” as Want to Read:
Grailblazers

Grailblazers

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  695 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Fifteen hundred years have passed and the Holy Grail is still missing, presumed ineffable. The knights have dumped the quest and now deliver pizzas, while the sinister financial services of the lost kingdom of Atlantis threatens the universe with fiscal Armageddon.
Published September 4th 2012 by Orbit (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Grailblazers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grailblazers

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Terribly silly, like all of his books. They don't all work for me, but this one did. I've been a bit depressed and I needed something terribly silly. It's remarkable how much time Holt must spend thinking up incredibly complicated plots in the service of such utter silliness. Harmless way to while away the hours though, and it does seem to help him earn a living.
Nathan Dehoff
Jan 17, 2016 Nathan Dehoff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this one is a clear improvement over the last few Holt books, showing the author honing his style. As usual, it focuses on one element of folklore, in this case the Holy Grail, but mixes in others as well. When Sir Boamund wakes up a 1500-year sleep caused by drugged milk given to him by a dwarf, he finds that several other Arthurian knights are still alive as well, but have been forced into doing menial jobs. They are charged with finding the Grail, but can only do so after finding thre ...more
Caleb
Sep 22, 2014 Caleb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
I'm starting to see the pattern to Tom Holt books. I say that, but they're far from formulaic. They're full of silly unexpected combinations of myths and modern life, but after a while it feels familiar. This is not a bad thing, but as a result it's probably better to spread his books out across the queue, not read a bunch in a row.

I grab a Tom Holt book when I want to be entertained, and I grab one that's not part of a series when I don't want to have to remember too complicated of a plot. I'm
Kirsti (Melbourne on my mind)
1500 years ago, a knight is put into a magical sleep. He awakes in the present, and is charged with finding the Holy Grail. His fellow grail hunting knights apparently couldn't die, because they'd never completed their quest. But they've given up grail hunting in favour of delivering pizzas and being accountants and what have you. The return of their long lost companion sees them grail hunting once again.

Look, it had its funny moments. But for the most part, it felt to me like a mash-up of Monty
Tom Loock
Jun 15, 2014 Tom Loock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy, graphic-novel
Ratings ranked A-Z:
Absolutely delightful. ***** - me
Amazing. ***** - Tom Loock
Among Holt's very best novels - if not his best! ***** - MaskedMarauder (my nom de guerre)
Astounding how one writer can be so very funny. ***** - anyone with a sense of humour
(...)
Ze best!! ***** - a friend who also read this one

I was lucky enough to have Rog Peyton recommend Tom Holt's novels when those were first published, and over the years I've read 16 of them. In recent years though, I was fairly disappointed by
Simon Mcleish
Apr 27, 2012 Simon Mcleish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Originally published on my blog here in May 1999.

By the time he wrote Grailblazers, Tom Holt's style was well established. Indeed, nearly all of his novels since Expecting Someone Taller have followed its successful format: a comic re-evaluation of themes and characters from a well known medieval legend set in the twentieth century, comedy being provided by the attempts of the characters to fit into a culture alien to them (and allowing Holt to satirise the more ridiculous aspects of the modern
Emrullah Koyunlu
Feb 29, 2016 Emrullah Koyunlu rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The book is not something that could be called really entertaining. For the most part, it feels like a mashup of Monthy Python and Terry Pratchett, but instead of using the best parts, they used the leftovers and reject pile.
It gets close to being funny, and it is not exactly thought provoking either. Also, seeing that this book is lauded as one of writers' better books, I don't think I will be picking another one soon.
Annette
May 24, 2012 Annette rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, fantasy
Considerably funnier and more enjoyable than "Overtime" (with which it is packaged in the Omnibus version), "Grailblazers" somehow manages to provide an explanation for the Holy Grail, Atlantis, and Santa Clause, all wrapped up in a single package. Occasional cameos from Shakespeare's Ghost and a whole host of dead philosophers - not to mention a country-full of incredibly boring bankers / insurance salesmen - round out the action, which is set in the present day.
The griping, incompetent, but s
Dark-Draco
Sep 10, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humour, arthurian
This is anothr cool, wacky romp through an alternative history. The grail knights have given up and are delivering pizzas, but a new leader is being sent to them - but after thousands of years sleeping in a cave, he first has to get out of his rusted armour!! The quest to find the grail is hampered by the fiscal ambitions of Atlantis and a rather angry Santa Claus... and that's even if they manage to find out what a grail actually is!!

Taren't as good as Pratchett by a long way, but it's amusing
David Cozens
Comedy fantasy about the exploits of knights searching for the Holy Grail, set in modern England.
Michelle
Aug 26, 2015 Michelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
read 100 pages and got fed up. I did not find it funny at all.
Tim Schneider
While a step up from the last couple of Holt's novels, this one still isn't Holt hitting on all cylinders. This is a quest novel. And sometimes the quest is the thing. But you still hope for a payoff and there really isn't a payoff at the end. The journey is generally entertaining. And I liked the use of St. Nicholas. But the ending is so weak that it taints what came before and yields mediocrity.

Lemongrass
Mar 26, 2016 Lemongrass rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story. It was the first Tom Holt novel I read, and I read it fairly soon after studying the Grail story at school in depth. Although there is plenty of scurrilous humour, somehow it seems to me that Holt keeps faith with the essentials of the deep and meaningful Grail Knights' quest. Others may disagree, but I found it at once extremely funny and also moving.

(Still true, years later.)
Mike
Oct 20, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holts books finally became available as Nook ebooks and I snapped this one up. It's entertaining, but not up to the standard of the J.W. Wells series. The concept of knights of the grail continuing their quest in modern times is funny, but they quickly drift off into a total fantasy domain. I think this makes the book less compelling, but I still read and enjoyed it.
Hank Quense
May 22, 2011 Hank Quense rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A typical Tom Holt book: hilarious and off-the-wall. Not for readers who want a straight-forward plot and story. Holt's story takes a number of devilish turns. One of the characters is a count who has been cursed by having to deliver toys to all the kids in the world one night a year.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Yet another fun Tom Holt read:-) I just loved the general wackiness of the book (typical Tom Holt!) but what I enjoyed most was the part about Atlantis & Santa, great ideas there;-)
Brett Cottrell
Okay, I guess, but doesn't live up to Blonde Bombshell or Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Sausages. Kind of get lost along the way.
Nick
Apr 27, 2013 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't ever really get into it. Good bubblegum for the mind is probably the best I can say for this one
Arun Divakar
Good read...i suppose it blew out towards the end
Mollie
Feb 27, 2009 Mollie marked it as wishlist  ·  review of another edition
Grailblazers by Tom Holt (2000)
Gregory Peloquin
Gregory Peloquin marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Jorie
Jorie marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Catherine
Catherine rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Rob Murat
Rob Murat marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Christian Foley
Christian Foley rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
Erika Nilsson
Erika Nilsson marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
A
A rated it it was ok
Aug 02, 2016
Anand Nambisan
Anand Nambisan marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
  • A Dog Called Demolition
  • Discworld Thieves' Guild Yearbook & Diary 2002
  • Slay and Rescue
  • The Unbeheaded King (The Reluctant King, #3)
Tom Holt (Thomas Charles Louis Holt; born September 13, 1961) is a British novelist.
He was born in London, the son of novelist Hazel Holt, and was educated at Westminster School, Wadham College, Oxford, and The College of Law, London.
Holt's works include mythopoeic novels which parody or take as their theme various aspects of mythology, history or literature and develop them in new and often humor
More about Tom Holt...