Start by marking “Grailblazers” as Want to Read:
Grailblazers

Grailblazers

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  474 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Fifteen hundred years have passed and the Holy Grail is still missing, presumed ineffable. The knights have dumped the quest and now deliver pizzas, while the sinister financial services of the lost kingdom of Atlantis threatens the universe with fiscal Armageddon.
Published September 4th 2012 by Orbit (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Grailblazers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grailblazers

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Terribly silly, like all of his books. They don't all work for me, but this one did. I've been a bit depressed and I needed something terribly silly. It's remarkable how much time Holt must spend thinking up incredibly complicated plots in the service of such utter silliness. Harmless way to while away the hours though, and it does seem to help him earn a living.
Tom Loock
Ratings ranked A-Z:
Absolutely delightful. ***** - me
Amazing. ***** - Tom Loock
Among Holt's very best novels - if not his best! ***** - MaskedMarauder (my nom de guerre)
Astounding how one writer can be so very funny. ***** - anyone with a sense of humour
(...)
Ze best!! ***** - a friend who also read this one

I was lucky enough to have Rog Peyton recommend Tom Holt's novels when those were first published, and over the years I've read 16 of them. In recent years though, I was fairly disappointed by...more
Caleb
I'm starting to see the pattern to Tom Holt books. I say that, but they're far from formulaic. They're full of silly unexpected combinations of myths and modern life, but after a while it feels familiar. This is not a bad thing, but as a result it's probably better to spread his books out across the queue, not read a bunch in a row.

I grab a Tom Holt book when I want to be entertained, and I grab one that's not part of a series when I don't want to have to remember too complicated of a plot. I'm...more
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in May 1999.

By the time he wrote Grailblazers, Tom Holt's style was well established. Indeed, nearly all of his novels since Expecting Someone Taller have followed its successful format: a comic re-evaluation of themes and characters from a well known medieval legend set in the twentieth century, comedy being provided by the attempts of the characters to fit into a culture alien to them (and allowing Holt to satirise the more ridiculous aspects of the modern...more
Melbourne on my mind
1500 years ago, a knight is put into a magical sleep. He awakes in the present, and is charged with finding the Holy Grail. His fellow grail hunting knights apparently couldn't die, because they'd never completed their quest. But they've given up grail hunting in favour of delivering pizzas and being accountants and what have you. The return of their long lost companion sees them grail hunting once again.

Look, it had its funny moments. But for the most part, it felt to me like a mash-up of Monty...more
Annette
Considerably funnier and more enjoyable than "Overtime" (with which it is packaged in the Omnibus version), "Grailblazers" somehow manages to provide an explanation for the Holy Grail, Atlantis, and Santa Clause, all wrapped up in a single package. Occasional cameos from Shakespeare's Ghost and a whole host of dead philosophers - not to mention a country-full of incredibly boring bankers / insurance salesmen - round out the action, which is set in the present day.
The griping, incompetent, but s...more
Dark-Draco
This is anothr cool, wacky romp through an alternative history. The grail knights have given up and are delivering pizzas, but a new leader is being sent to them - but after thousands of years sleeping in a cave, he first has to get out of his rusted armour!! The quest to find the grail is hampered by the fiscal ambitions of Atlantis and a rather angry Santa Claus... and that's even if they manage to find out what a grail actually is!!

Taren't as good as Pratchett by a long way, but it's amusing...more
Tim Schneider
While a step up from the last couple of Holt's novels, this one still isn't Holt hitting on all cylinders. This is a quest novel. And sometimes the quest is the thing. But you still hope for a payoff and there really isn't a payoff at the end. The journey is generally entertaining. And I liked the use of St. Nicholas. But the ending is so weak that it taints what came before and yields mediocrity.

Lemongrass
I loved this story. It was the first Tom Holt novel I read, and I read it fairly soon after studying the Grail story at school in depth. Although there is plenty of scurrilous humour, somehow it seems to me that Holt keeps faith with the essentials of the deep and meaningful Grail Knights' quest. Others may disagree, but I found it at once extremely funny and also moving.
Mike
Holts books finally became available as Nook ebooks and I snapped this one up. It's entertaining, but not up to the standard of the J.W. Wells series. The concept of knights of the grail continuing their quest in modern times is funny, but they quickly drift off into a total fantasy domain. I think this makes the book less compelling, but I still read and enjoyed it.
Hank Quense
A typical Tom Holt book: hilarious and off-the-wall. Not for readers who want a straight-forward plot and story. Holt's story takes a number of devilish turns. One of the characters is a count who has been cursed by having to deliver toys to all the kids in the world one night a year.
oOSarahOo
Yet another fun Tom Holt read:-) I just loved the general wackiness of the book (typical Tom Holt!) but what I enjoyed most was the part about Atlantis & Santa, great ideas there;-)
Brett Cottrell
Okay, I guess, but doesn't live up to Blonde Bombshell or Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Sausages. Kind of get lost along the way.
Nick Longley
Didn't ever really get into it. Good bubblegum for the mind is probably the best I can say for this one
Arun Divakar
Good read...i suppose it blew out towards the end
Mollie
Feb 27, 2009 Mollie marked it as wishlist  ·  review of another edition
Grailblazers by Tom Holt (2000)
Hayley
Hayley marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Ingrid
Ingrid marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
C
C marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Louise Barnfather
Louise Barnfather marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Rosie Morgan
Rosie Morgan marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Al Saibini
Al Saibini marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
  • Snuff Fiction
  • The Witches Trilogy (Discworld #3,6,12)
Tom Holt (Thomas Charles Louis Holt; born September 13, 1961) is a British novelist.
He was born in London, the son of novelist Hazel Holt, and was educated at Westminster School, Wadham College, Oxford, and The College of Law, London.
Holt's works include mythopoeic novels which parody or take as their theme various aspects of mythology, history or literature and develop them in new and often humor...more
More about Tom Holt...
The Portable Door Expecting Someone Taller You Don't Have to Be Evil to Work Here, But it Helps In Your Dreams Earth, Air, Fire and Custard