Start by marking “Alex (The Lawson Boys #1)” as Want to Read:
Alex (The Lawson Boys #1)

Alex (The Lawson Boys #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  643 ratings  ·  35 reviews
On leave from the Australian Army, Alex Lawson has arrived in the little country town seeking answers from generously-curved Harly Bentley. She’s kept a secret from him for years, but he’s here now, he’s furious, and nothing is going to stop him from getting the truth.

But will the results be what he expected?
Published July 19th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Alex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alex

Cop's Passion by Angela VerdeniusDoctor's Delight by Angela VerdeniusAlex by Angela VerdeniusVet's Desire by Angela VerdeniusPerfection by R.L. Mathewson
BBW Heroines
3rd out of 246 books — 145 voters
Perfection by R.L. MathewsonPlaying for Keeps by R.L. MathewsonReasons I Fell for the Funny Fat Friend by Cassie MaeDoctor's Delight by Angela VerdeniusOn the Plus Side by Tabatha Vargo
Sexy Curves
19th out of 336 books — 280 voters

More lists with this book...

Melissa
In Ms. Verdenius’ book Big Girl Lovin’: Vet’s Delight we met Cindy Lawson’s two brothers, Alex the career Army man, and Marty the playboy. Both managed to find a place in my heart as they help tend to Al, her newborn kitten she was adopting. I am pleased that they found a place in her heart also and that each gets their own book with their very own big girl heroines.

Alex was first. He comes home on leave, hurting from the death of buddy of his who never knew his wife had just given birth to thei
Lexxie
I read the second book in this series first, and it was better than this one. The writing was all over the place, and it doesn't seem to have been properly edited - there weren't a lot of mistakes, but the mistakes that were there were quite glaring.

Full review to come soon, both here and at (un)Conventional Bookviews.
Jollychick
That does it!!
I'm irrevocably in love with Alex. The hot military guy who loves women on the fluffier side of life and has a great sense of humor, what's not to love?

Favorite scene:

Alex -“See, when I say strip, you strip. When I say come here, you come. When I say kiss me, you kiss me. When I say you’re walking around in my presence in nothing but silk stockings and a garter belt and a red satin bra, you will do so.”
Harly - “Not happening.”
Alex - “Insubordination will not be tolerated.”
Harly -
Vampress Bathory
“You’re not a big woman, Harly. You’re not a little woman, you’re not a skinny woman, you’re not a fat woman, or petite, or any other word we’ve all heard to describe a person. They’re just labels. You are a woman. " Okay, mr. Alex I think you just stole my heart !!!! So, yeah I read this a long time ago but never actually had the time to put it on my 'read' shelf here on greads, but today I just came across my memorable quotes notebook and I had this quote right under self-esteem. And I told my ...more
Janey
Oh I loved Harly and Alex what a wonderful couple, Alex so proud and honourable, Harly content in her small but valuable life. Alex sweeps back in after 16 years away totally knocks Harly off her feet and totally messes with her orderly life, secrets revealed, truths told and hearts mended, what I enjoyed about this story was the pace, it wasn't rushed, it took it's time so you got in involved with the characters and how they were feeling, I really felt for Harly and her mixed feelings for Alex ...more
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
I am being lazy (again!) with The Lawson Boys you're going to get a two for one experience; one review, two books! In my defense it isn't just sheer laziness that motivates me, but also to stop from repeating myself, both the books in this series, Alex and Marty are very similar and what I think about one, very much applies to the other.

As I wade my way through Ms Verdenius's books I am finding this to be a regular occurrence, her books are very similar in character and tone. I know exactly wha
Rachel
The hero of Alex is now at the top of my list of favorite leading men in books.

Alex has learned secret about his past and the only person that has those answers is Harly, this secret comes at a time where he's battling loss this leads him back to the small town he used to visit in the summers 16 years ago.

Once he comes home he finds Harly is now a woman, a woman who is content to live her life alone and is avoiding Alex at all costs... will he be able to get her open up?

Alex was a military man
Really loved this romance. Alex Lawson, australian army soldier, returns home on leave with one thing in mind, but when he is to go back his life has new meaning & purpose.

Harly Bentley is a pretty girl from his past, who has a heart of gold & a capacity to forgive with her whole heart. Harly has been through so much in her life. She has a secret that she believes is well kept & doesn't want anyone to know about. Whats done was done, the past is the past & she has come to terms
Anna D.
Alex is the perfect guy. If women were allowed to create the man of their dreams, I think it would be Alex Lawson. Which means have a great hero and we also have a very likeable heroine. Harly is the kind hearted next door neighbor type who you would want to be your best friend for life. I really like all the characters in this book and everything that happened, but for some reason I wasn’t satisfied..I WANTED MORE ..there was something missing…

It just seemed like the story needed a conflict tha
CandyCorn
It was sweet, an ok read. This is my second book from Angela Verdenius. I also read Doctor's Delight. These are both rated the same, but I did like the other better. Doctor's Delight was a more fun read and this one seemed to be a more realistic one.

Her books seem very similar and a little repetitive, but I think I will still read the next book in this series.

Dr. Bronwyn Ph.D of Smutology
Once again, Angela delivers a wonderful story featuring a plus size heroine and the hero who comes to love her.

While I have to admit I figured out the 'mystery' I did feel like Harley did the best she could in what would have been incredibly difficult circumstances. I don't think I could be as forgiving of her parents as Harley if I were in her place. But the love between her parents and Harley soothed me a little.

Angela makes a habit of making pets a big part of the story...in a supporting way
nurmawati

agak lama namatin yg ini...agak lambat cerita depannya bikin depreso pembaca...
endingnya mayan deh...begitulah kalo merit ama tentara..pulangnya 6 bulan sekali, semoga idup deh sih alex..dikirimnya ke afganistan sih..
enowei intinya ttg co yg ke kampung halamannya buat konfrontasi ce yg pernah one night stand ama dia..
tuh co marah 13 tahun lalu dia gak dikasih tau kalo ce nya halim..dia tau nya pas baru2 ini aja en si ce juga dulu keguguran...pas ngelabrak si ce dan setelah akhirnya ketauan alasa
Dwi_eternity Lestari
i dont like the way alex blame harly's parents for deceiving her...when he didn't even knew that she was pregnant...how come he didn't know? at least he must be read the sign or what...
Me
buena idea planteada pobremente, army que se entera que ella (bbw) estuvo embarazada, y regresa a reclamar (16 años después) pero a los 3 seg se da cuenta que es el amor de su vida.
Loz
even as an aussie, i found some of the aussie sayings/dialogue within this book overdone. we don't talk like that. not even in the small country town that i grew up in.. not these days, these characters are young, in their 30's! either way, cute story but considering the secret and backstory alex and harly shared, the instant relationship and declaration of love that alex through at harly, just didn't make sence. it came about too easy and wrapped up WAY too quick. i felt cheated, where was the ...more
Sharona
Great feel good book :-).
Mela Remington
This is a continuation of her series "Big Girls Lovin'" (God how I hate that series title). This will be a new series about Cindy's (from book 3 Vet's Desire) brothers. It was a quick and somewhat enjoyable read, but not the best of her books.

The perpetual virgin, or the we dated as teens, i lost my virginity to you and then never slept with anyone else while I pined for you trope is overdone.

I did like the heroine's spunk and moxie though.
Mashieka
top 5 angela v! review to come!!"
Nicky
I believe this one is one of my favorite of this author's books. I liked both of the main characters and could find myself really connecting with Harly. Alex was a dream come true and the sex scenes were very steamy.. Unfortunately it seemed like the story was just getting started when it ended and I wanted more. I thought the letters at the end were very cute. I'll definitely be watching for Marty's story.
PNR
I don't know why I waited so long to read this - I think I thought it was a "secret baby" book, which I don't like. This was great! Loved the angst. The end was a little bittersweet, though - (view spoiler) (3.5 stars)
Alex and Harly are one of those couples you just root for no matter what because you want them to work out. Alex started off with a grudge against Harly but ended up falling in love. Harly has always wanted Alex but was too insecure to go after anything. Alex has to go back in the army and deploy, will Harly wait for him?
Genney Blass
I have to admit from both of the Lawson Boys, I was mesmerize with Alex. His connection with Harley. His emotions going crazy to what happen to his friend at the war. Love the idea the Big Girls also need some love; with no discrimination of the way we look. Congrats to the author another great book created.
Yalda Catalán
Ugh nooooooo!!! whyyyy!!!!!
Loved it, everything about it, the story, the past, him, her....incredible...until...the very end...could be so much better....it was so unexpected, so sudden!! anyways....it was good, i really enjoyed it...but then i was like.....what????? noooooooooooo!!!!!
Mariejeanne26ff
I enjoy the author's writing style, her sense of humour and the Australian lingo. In this instance I enjoyed the plot too. It had just the right level of angst and tension between the main 2 characters. A most enjoyable read.
Lea
Liked Alex, Harley was ok, the story was fairly weak plotwise, but the interactions and dialogue was cute. Quick read, found myself skimming it a bit, but I do enjoy the 'plus size' heroine aspect - and Alex was hot!
Yesenia Gonzalez
Loved it! he was so sweet to her even tho she was not proud of her curves he has enough love for her curves AWWWW!
Marianne
Some weak/repetitive spots but a likable couple and a good "showdown" between the hero and the heroine's parents.
Tina
Wee bit too sweet in places, but a great read for those of us from mil families.
Romina
the end seem kinda a rushed... where is the meeting between Harley and the Lawson family?
Mas
I need to get Marty's book now! Btw, PLUS SIZE Heroines are the best HEROINES ever!
  • Curves by Design (Big Girls And Bad Boys, #3)
  • Stud Muffin Wanted
  • Tony's Haven (Sherman Family Series, #2)
  • Sexting Curves (BBW Erotic Romance)
  • A Whole Lot of Love
  • Guardian Ranger (Shadow Agents, #2)
  • The Fall Of Troy
  • Leader of the Pack
  • Rude Awakening
  • Curvosity
  • Big Bad Wolf
  • Falling In Love With Her Husband
  • Knock Out Curves (Plus Size Loving) BBW Romance
  • Maverick Wild (Wild, #2)
  • Persuading Prudence
I live in Australia, where I am ruled by my cats, adore reading, and I think a perfect day is writing and drinking Diet Coke, followed by reading or a good horror movie.

Reading has always been my escape, writing my dream. Horror, myths, legends, fantasy and history, there are no limits to the wonders to be found. And romance? Well, that adds the spice, hope and happiness ever after.
More about Angela Verdenius...

The Lawson Boys (2 books)
  • The Lawson Boys: Marty (#2)
Doctor's Delight (Big Girls Lovin' Trilogy, #1) Cop's Passion (Big Girls Lovin' Trilogy, #2) Vet's Desire (Big Girls Lovin' Trilogy, #3) The Lawson Boys: Marty (#2) The Virgin Sex Queen

“Now, Miss Bentley,” he said with mock seriousness.   “I’ll have you know that yes, you are correct, I will always be the master in a relationship.   I will always be the master when it comes to sex.   I am the man.”
Harly was having a hard time trying to maintain her own contrite, meek expression; her quivering lips gave that away.   “Yes, Sir.”
“See, when I say strip, you strip.   When I say come here, you come.   When I say kiss me, you kiss me.   When I say you’re walking around in my presence in nothing but silk stockings and a garter belt and a red satin bra, you will do so.”
“Not happening.”
“Insubordination will not be tolerated.”
“I’ll tell my mother.”
“I’m not scared of her.”
“All right.   I’ll tell your mother.”
“Okay, some insubordination will be tolerated.”
“I thought so.”
“And when I say get the bondage gear-”
She guffawed right in his face.”
15 likes