Start by marking “Cross Roads” as Want to Read:
Cross Roads

Cross Roads

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  8,183 Ratings  ·  1,078 Reviews
Anthony Spencer is egotistical, proud of being a self-made business success at the peak of his game, even though the cost of winning was painfully high. A cerebral hemorrhage leaves Tony comatose in a hospital ICU. He 'awakens' to find himself in a surreal world, a 'living' landscape that mirrors dimensions of his earthly life, from the beautiful to the corrupt. It is here ...more
Published November 13th 2012 by FaithWords (first published 2012)

Gerard Kelly
Jan 30, 2013 Gerard Kelly rated it really liked it
I wasn’t the biggest fan of The Shack when I first read it, but two things changed my opinion, and drew me to the writing of Wm Paul Young. The first was that I saw the evident impact this book was having on its readers: people were discovering, in Young’s writing, a new confidence in the truth that God is love and only love. Especially for those raised in a narrowly-defined faith, the Shack was a breakthrough. 18 million sales later – with perhaps 100 million readers – it continues to be so. Th ...more
James
Nov 18, 2012 James rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trinity, fiction
William Paul Young’s first novel, The Shack, was a publishing phenomenon. Young wrote the novel for his children to explain his thoughts on God and his theological convictions. More than 18 million copies later, Young had an international bestseller which touched the lives of people all over the globe. Itt has got people thinking about what kind of God, God is,what the Trinity really is and how the persons of God relate to one another.

Cross Roads is Young’s second novel and while sophomore effo
Bill
Jul 05, 2012 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Bill by: Requested from Author
NOBODY…NOBODY can write about pain and the space between the unimaginable and unconscionable wounds inflicted during life on earth – and the reality of an ever-present loving, grace-filled, redemptive, triune God like Wm. (Paul ) Young. NOBODY…PERIOD!!!

My review and the cover image are here: http://www.billdahl.net/articles/cros...

On September 7, 2007 I wrote a review on Amazon – for a book entitled “The Shack – Where Tragedy Meets Eternity” — “an odd title,” I thought to myself – before I began
Mike (the Paladin)
This is a great book. I had trouble with his first book The Shack and I have gone back and re-rated it, though I left my original review in place as it might be informative about a lot of my own take. I was raw at the time I read it and may need to read it at a later time.

This book is a fine uplifting read with a great deal of spiritual insight and hope. I suppose there are things that could be criticized about it, but none of much importance.

As a novel I think it succeeds though some may find a
Jerrine Regan
Nov 11, 2012 Jerrine Regan rated it did not like it
As a huge fan of "The Shack" I was really looking forward to Paul Young's new book, "CrossRoads". I was very disappointed after reading an advance copy received at the bookstore where I work.

First of all, I found the writing style much different from "The Shack". I did not find it compelling. At times I was confused as to what the author was trying to say.

I did not find the premise of the book believable and I believe most Christians will be offended at what seems to be a type of possession.

The
Keith
Jan 11, 2013 Keith rated it liked it
Cross Roads, by Wm. Paul Young, is similar to his first book The Shack in that the Holy Trinity has a starring role in the book. Young uses this device effectively in The Shack, but perhaps it is just a tad tiresome when he uses it again in this book. Admittedly, Cross Roads is definitely intended for the Christian market, but Christians (at least this one) want something fresh, too! My reaction to the book reminds me of when you find a great first album by an up and coming band and you are real ...more
Ronald Goetz
Nov 19, 2012 Ronald Goetz rated it really liked it
I confess I had misgivings about reading Wm. Paul Young’s Cross Roads this week. I avoided his best-seller, The Shack, when everyone in my congregation was reading it and my wife was telling me how good it was. But she’s used to my capricious, intellectual aversion to popular books, so she didn’t press it. I’m happy to say that Cross Roads is definitely a good read, both intellectually and emotionally.

Cross Roads is a redemption novel, the surreal spiritual pilgrimage of protagonist Anthony Spen
Lisa Johnson
Nov 19, 2012 Lisa Johnson rated it it was amazing
Title: Cross Roads
Author: Wm. Paul Young
Pages: 304
Year: 2012
Publisher: Faith Words
What happens to those who are in a comatose state? Tony Spencer, a man full of anger and paranoia, discovers that life is more than the world as he once saw it when he succumbs to a brain tumor-induced coma.
Tony finds himself in a strange place where he meets an interesting array of people, including C.S. Lewis, Jesus, and a mysterious Lakota woman, who lead him through the netherworld between earth and heaven in
Amy
Nov 22, 2012 Amy rated it liked it
There were several times that I almost gave up on this one and had it been any other author (as I loved The Shack), I never would have stuck with it. However, I am very glad that I did. Once I got past the first 97 pages, the story picked up and was much better. I found the first part to be just plain confusing and that the author was not reaching his audience with his intended message. However, once the story revealed itself, his representations of the main character's heart, mind and feeling m ...more
Thomas Holbrook
Feb 05, 2013 Thomas Holbrook rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Mr. Young’s book, The Shack, was a best-seller because it was well written, spoke to a specific audience and explored the theological idea that God, through Christ, continues to be connected to humanity. His second book is just as well written, speaks to the same target audience but addresses the theological idea that, also through the work of Christ, God made community possible by the reconciliation of human beings to each other.
Anthony Spenser has it all – money, property, power, influence
Gail Welborn
Nov 13, 2012 Gail Welborn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
***From the author of The Shack with an initial print run of one million copie***

WM. Paul Young, bestselling author of the The Shack that sold eighteen million copies in 2008, now returns with Crossroads. In another provocative tale of healing and hope wrapped in an account of relationships, selfishness, trust and choices. FaithWords releases one million copies Tuesday, November 13th which suggests they believe Crossroad sales could be similar to that of The Shack.

The poignant story begins with
Geoff Little
Nov 23, 2012 Geoff Little rated it liked it
It’s an embarrassing, puerile feeling, the curiosity if someone, once so lucky, now might fail. I felt such a thing as I picked up and began William Paul Young’s Cross Roads novel, out this month. Published by FaithWords (Hachette), Cross Roads is the follow-up to Young’s 18 million-copy bestseller, The Shack, that donkey of a religious fiction title. A donkey, I confess, I rather loved.

The Shack was too clumsy to discuss in any literary circle I know, what with its constant breadcrumbing of the
Rob
Mar 01, 2013 Rob rated it it was amazing
Wm. Paul Young wrote this one more carefully than his last book, The Shack, and he employed the help of Theologian: Baxter Kruger and host of others. Therefore it is more Theologically sound, he takes few liberties with scripture and the traditional doctrines of the Church. This time Jesus is Jesus, no confusion there, God the Father is God the Father again no gender bending. The Holy Spirit is a Lakota Indian woman, this might offend some who like to keep the trinity in the male gender, but in ...more
Elaine
May 21, 2013 Elaine rated it it was amazing
I was quite excited to read this book as I loved the Shack, and O wasn't disappointed. Once again I finished it with the hope that some of the wisdom in the book will stay with me and help to change me.
It is a story of transformation. A cold self absorbed man with no friends and no desire for them goes through an experience of God that changes him for ever, Its a little like Scrooge in Dickens Christmas Carol where the change is achieved in an unbelievably fast time but is an allegory of the gro
Tiffany Simar
Feb 01, 2013 Tiffany Simar rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
When I first started reading this book, I wasn't quite sure how I felt about it. I had read The Shack and enjoyed it and was thrilled when I discovered that WM. Paul Young had put out another book. Reading a little about this book while standing in Walmart, I loved what was mentioned on the back "I can heal someone? Are you telling me that I am able to heal anybody?" This drew me in and I passed up on the last Fifty Shades book for this intriguing read.

When I started the first chapter, I strug
Mike (the Paladin)

As a novel I think it succeeds though some may find a
Paul Wilkinson
Nov 16, 2012 Paul Wilkinson rated it it was amazing
The original distribution target for The Shack was about 15 copies. So it’s not surprising that million-copy-selling author Paul Young refers to Cross Roads as the first novel he intentionally wrote.

I’m drawn to Young’s picture of a loving God — regardless of the size, shape, age or gender in which he prefers to clothe any member of The Trinity — and would have no problem approving him to teach Sunday School at my church, a proposition that no doubt causes his detractors to shudder.

The lead cha
Joey Bryant
Feb 23, 2013 Joey Bryant marked it as to-read
Shelves: pending-read
PRIOR TO receiving this book I purchased and read Paul Young's "THE SHACk' and loved it very much!
An amazing sister in Christ and Colleague of mine that I only met less than 1 year ago Purchased and
mailed to me as a gift this new book "CROSS ROADS!" I was super thrilled and grateful that she was
so thoughtful enough to provide this addition to the "SHACK" because she knew how much i had
enjoyed the first book!

I am only currently on page 5, this book is starting out a bit "WORDY", I'm not the
Leroy Seat
Apr 22, 2013 Leroy Seat rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-fiction
This is a very creative and imaginative book, stretching incredulity, and I enjoyed reading it. But I don’t think it was nearly as good as "The Shack." Nevertheless, there is a deep spiritual message in this book, and I ended up liking it a lot.

The Holy Spirit is pictured as an old Lakota grandmother, and on one occasion she says, “Much of what you must forgive others for, and especially yourself, is the ignorance which damages. People don’t hurt willfully. More often because they simply don’t k
Dottie Parish
Jan 05, 2013 Dottie Parish rated it it was ok
Cross Roads was written by the author of The Shack. This preposterous story starts slowly but is entertaining – especially about half way through. It is similar to The Shack in its depiction of Jesus and the Holy Spirit as affable, loving beings who take on human-like appearances in order to communicate with the main character. It is also similar in its approach to reconciling or undoing psychological trauma around grief. There is some insightful dialog, such as this about fairness. The main cha ...more
Layne
Jan 04, 2013 Layne rated it really liked it
Cross Roads was after the manner of his first book The Shack. It is fiction, it's metamorphic, and takes a vivid imagination to fully explore the author's intentions. Having said all that, I liked it. The message is really good. It focuses on self awareness, repentance, forgiveness, and redemption. These themes resonate through out the book and are what make the story beautiful. If you liked the Shack, you will probably enjoy this book.
Lena ( book-junkie)
Nov 25, 2012 Lena ( book-junkie) rated it it was amazing
Easily the best book I read in 2012! I really like the way the author described what Tony was going through in his coma state of mind and what possible death could be like. I highly recommend this book.
Helena Martinčević
Stvarno odlicna knjiga. Na momente teska za razumevanje, malo vise filozofska, pa mi je trebalo dosta vremena da je procitam, ali provlaci se tu puno emocija do samog kraja. Preporucujem.
Anna
Nov 29, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it
Only the second book by Wm Paul Young, author of surprise bestseller The Shack, Cross Roads is an incredibly complex and ambitious book which needs to be read slowly, carefully and thoughtfully, and ideally with a notepad to hand.

Tony Spencer is a character I had problems getting to grips with. At the start of the book he's ambitious, sociopathic and paranoid. A brain tumour leaves his body in a coma and his soul, or maybe his spirit (the book did explain the difference but not in a way I could
Wanda Hartzenberg
Sep 03, 2013 Wanda Hartzenberg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-lit
Cross Roads by William Paul Young
Narrated by Roger Mueller

Let's start with the narration of the book. The narrator Roger Mueller did a brilliant job in making each and every character come alive and be easily identifiable. Never going over the top. This narrator reads the book like it is written. In everyday language for everyday people with a lesson of the divine.

Now onto the book. After reading The Shack I found a genre in Christian literature I could identify with and could wholeheartedly eng
Michelle Feist
Dec 25, 2012 Michelle Feist rated it really liked it
If you have read and enjoyed The Shack, then you will probably enjoy this book, too. Powerful spiritual truths are woven into the experience of Tony, a self-absorbed, wealthy and powerful businessman, who suffers brain trauma and finds himself in a coma, barely clinging to life. It is while in this "in between place" that Tony takes a journey to an unfamiliar place - a vast, wild countryside where he meets some strange, yet interesting characters who begin to reveal to Tony the "truth" of his li ...more
Thomas
Jan 03, 2013 Thomas rated it liked it
"Some years in Portland, Oregon, winter is a bully, spitting sleet and spewing snow in fits and starts as it violently wrestles days from spring, claiming some archaic right to remain king of the seasons -- ultimately the vain attempt of another pretender."

So begins "Cross Roads". The first half of the book is filled with stilted prose like this. Young is best when he writes more about emotion, which is part of why "The Shack" was such a success, but this story takes much longer to move into an
Angela Oliver
Dec 13, 2012 Angela Oliver rated it really liked it
I fully expected to dislike this novel, which I mainly read because I am up to "Y" in the alphabet. I had read "The Shack" and found it a little saccarine and preachy, and in the start, this book struck me the same way. When Tony went into his "internal world" and started meeting up with various entities, it did feel very familiar and a little bit too preachy for my tastes. However, the moment Tony found himself seeing the world through Caddy's eyes and then jumping from host to host - that was ...more
Paul
Oct 14, 2012 Paul rated it it was amazing
Excellent read and another delightful insight into the dynamic relationship within the Trinity that reflects the understanding of the Nicene Fathers that was later lost and replaced at worst by a schizophrenic Father who alternates between loving mercy and angry wrath and a Jesus who seems to come to save us from his Father.

The story is engaging and captures the tragic storyline that all of us have either fallen into, been tempted to adopt, or been affected by a relationship with someone who ta
Sonia
Apr 02, 2017 Sonia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
“Somehow the pain, the losses, the hurt, the bad, God is able to transform these into something they could have never been, icons and monuments of grace and love. It is the deep mystery how wounds and scars can become precious, or a ravaging and terrifying cross the essential symbol of relentless affection.”
“Is it worth it?” whispered Tony.
“Wrong question, son. There is no ‘it.’ The question is and has always been, ‘Are you worth it?’ and the answer is and always, ‘Yes!’ ”

Es algo complicado hab
Live Web Event with Author Wm. Paul Young 3 31 Jan 18, 2013 12:19AM
My Pre-Release Review is here: 1 13 Aug 08, 2012 06:51PM
  • The Shack Revisited: There Is More Going On Here than You Ever Dared to Dream
  • So You Don't Want to Go to Church Anymore: An Unexpected Journey
  • Neighbors and Wise Men: Sacred Encounters in a Portland Pub and Other Unexpected Places
  • The God Hater
  • The River (River #1)
  • A Step of Faith (The Walk, #4)
  • The Max Lucado Christmas Collection: An Angel's Story/The Christmas Candle/The Christmas Child
  • Double Blind
  • A Day with a Perfect Stranger
  • Divine Nobodies: Shedding Religion to Find God (and the unlikely people who help you)
  • Highland Promise (Sisters by Choice, #2)
  • To Heaven and Back: The True Story of a Doctor's Extraordinary Walk with God
  • The Cat That God Sent
  • Rooms
  • Face to Face with God: Transform Your Life with His Daily Presence
  • The Reason
  • A Story of God and All of Us: A Novel Based on the Epic TV Miniseries "The Bible"
  • The Other Side of Suffering: The Father of JonBenet Ramsey Tells the Story of His Journey from Grief to Grace
Wm. Paul Young is a Canadian author. Young was the oldest of four. He spend the majority of his first decade with his missionary parents in the highlands of Netherlands New Guinea (West Papua), among the Dani, a tribal people. When he was six he was sent to a boarding school.

The manuscript, that later became The Shack, was intended only for his six kids and for a handful of close friends. After mu
More about William Paul Young...

“Somehow the pain, the losses, the hurt, the bad, God
is able to transform these into something they could have never
been, icons and monuments of grace and love. It is the deep
mystery how wounds and scars can become precious, or a
ravaging and terrifying cross the essential symbol of relentless
affection.”
“Is it worth it?” whispered Tony.
“Wrong question, son. There is no ‘it.’ The question is and
has always been, ‘Are you worth it?’ and the answer is and
always, ‘Yes!’ ”
23 likes
“Transformation
without work and pain, without suffering, without a sense of loss
is just an illusion of true change.”
19 likes