Start by marking “Supercrooks” as Want to Read:
Supercrooks

Supercrooks

When the market is flooded with competition and the authorities are always on your tail, what's an all-American super villain to do? Go to Spain, of course! Johnny Bolt convinces his villainous pals to pull off one last heist but will culture shock get to them before the policia do? And when Johnny's target is revealed as the greatest super villain of all time, things go h ...more
Published November 7th 2012 by Marvel (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Supercrooks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Supercrooks

Alejandro
May 20, 2013 Alejandro rated it it was amazing
Evil vs evil, what else can you ask?

This TPB collects "Supercrooks" #1-4.

I bought this miniseries in its four single issues, but I chosen this TPB edition to make a better overall review.

Creative Team:

Writer: Mark Millar

Illustrator: Leinil Francis Yu

AN OCEAN OF ADAPTATIONS

It's really great!

It's not something totally original since it's evident the inspiration from Ocean's Eleven (the original classic film & the remake trilogy) and even it's not the first time that this concept is used on
Anne
Feb 20, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone keeps comparing this to Ocean's Eleven, and I'd like to do something different.

But I can't.
It really is Ocean's Eleven with super-powered crooks. It's not as violent as you might think, but there's enough gore to keep it interesting. So if you're a fan of the Bad-Guys-That-You-Love sort of thing, then you'll probably like Supercrooks.

I never realized how much great stuff Millar had written until I read this. I've always associated him with The Ultimates (which I loved). But when I fli
Martin
Oct 30, 2012 Martin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I'd been eagerly waiting for this one. The blurb on the back cover says « X-Men Meets Ocean's Eleven ». That's a very accurate description (if your X-Men are villains) and one that shouldn't really need any elaboration. But I will elaborate anyway...

In typical Millar fashion (with all the language & violence that goes with it), a recently paroled super-villain recuits former associates of his (super-villains to a man) to go rob "the Bastard", "the greatest super-villain who has ever lived" (
Sam Quixote
Nov 01, 2012 Sam Quixote rated it really liked it
Why would you be a super-villain in America? The place is teeming with superheroes. If you’re a bad guy who sets up shop stateside, you’re asking to be nicked. So if you’re a super-villain looking for cash, how about heading to Spain to rob one of the richest super-villains there ever was? This is the premise of “Supercrooks”, a heist adventure with super-villains (bad guys with powers).

The book started quite slow for me. It read like every heist story, especially Ocean’s 11, with the “old team
Badet
Jun 15, 2013 Badet rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
I really like the idea of super villains taking the limelight and Mark Millar's portrayal on what it means to be an antagonists can be thought provoking. After all when we hear the word supervillain the first thing that pops up into our minds is: 'Evil'. But this piece makes you think otherwise and makes you question whether or not our definition of a 'bad guy' needs to be redefined.

All in all The Supercrooks series is short, sweet and simple with some bad-assery on the side. It's a good read.
William Thomas
Dec 26, 2012 William Thomas rated it liked it
An altogether disappointing offering from a man who is widely known as one of the most inventive storytellers in the comics medium. Typical heist story without any memorable dialogue (which is what drives heist/crime stories such as this), which makes it just another ho-hum book that won't come off the shelf ever again.

Redeeming factor is of course the always phenomenal art by Yu.

Art: A
Writing: D
Rob
Jan 24, 2016 Rob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rob by: Bill
Shelves: graphic-novels
A crew of super villains gets together to pull off one last heist. It will pay each member significantly, but of course, the danger is very high. Since the U.S. is well stocked with heroes looking to bust any villains and their plans, this is going to take place in Spain. Super Crooks is a fun, quick read. 4 books, with good writing and great artwork.
César Viteri
Bien dibujado, pero con un concepto que agota su sorpresa una vez presentado: Ocean's Eleven con superpoderes. El viaje es entretenido, pero una vez que empiezas a hacerte preguntas, empiezan a aparecer respuestas endebles. No desagrada, no deslumbra.
Zedsdead
Nov 13, 2012 Zedsdead rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Supervillains that keep referring to themselves as supervillains rob a retired MEGAsupervillain of infinitytrillion dollars. It's Ocean's Eleven with predictable superpowers and a remarkable lack of wit, style, and self-awareness.

Wow, this book sucks.
Larry C
Sep 04, 2015 Larry C rated it it was ok
As much as I like Millar's books, this one left me feeling "meh." It's Oceans Eleven with super villains. Fast paced, but too fast to care or even gain an interest in the characters.
Paul
Jul 21, 2016 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a solid crime caper with super powered crooks. It is a good summer read.
Asounani
Interesante y con un giro diferente pero que en algunos momentos puede ser predecible, en general se deja leer y entretiene.
Logan
Mar 16, 2015 Logan rated it liked it
Michel
Aug 30, 2015 Michel rated it liked it
Mark Millar is geen verkeerde schrijver, en ik lees zijn boeken al lang met veel plezier.

Supercrooks is een verhaaltje in een universum zoals Superior, Nemesis, Kick-Ass en andere: superhelden en superschurken, maar geen karakters die we kennen van ergens anders. En op de een of andere manier menselijker dan we vaak gewoon zijn.

Carmine, een oude old-school superslechterik (van het genre geen krachten en enkel een ray gun om te vechten) die al jaren niet meer vecht doet een misstap: hij probeert
Bert
Jun 23, 2013 Bert rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-book
Basically it is Mark Millar once again attempting once again to take the familiar superhero genre and doing something interesting with it. In this case by making all characters supervillains who are under the thumb of an aging supervillain and who do not like this one bit. So they set up a heist to rob this boss figure of his riches...

There's lot to enjoy here, and you can see how this could easily be made into a big budget Hollywood movie. Unfortunately it already suffers from the drawbacks of
Tays
Oct 13, 2013 Tays rated it really liked it
It's awesome.

It has a great premise. Who wouldn't want to read about a heist orchestrated by super powered villains with heart? It has a great thought for a plot, but it did somehow lack a little with the executions of its twists. Nevertheless, it may not be as violent as Millar's previous works, it is still as enjoyable. Compared to Kick-Ass, this book was a little toned down and I sort of found a few of the roughness of it a little bit pushed. It has a great story, and a very very decent artwo
La Espada en la Tinta
El mundo de los superhéroes está plagado de posibilidades, y Mark Millar sabe como aprovechar los recovecos que dejan las grandes corporaciones del mundo del cómic para hacer historias que se salgan del canon. Es el caso de Super Crooks: El atraco, donde conocemos a una peculiar banda de delincuentes con poderes especiales que tiene la intención de robarle toda la pasta a un supervillano de cuidado que reside en una mansión de Tenerife, de esos que con sólo una mirada es capaz de reventar los se ...more
Cale
Oct 21, 2013 Cale rated it really liked it
Oceans Eleven meets Super villains. That's the book in a nutshell. Describes it to a T. A group of super villains work together to pull a heist off against a retired mastermind. It plays the story beats of a heist film exactly, just upping the intensity by adding super powers.
It's a lot of fun, and silly, and perfectly executed on the concept. The final twists work perfectly; even expecting them the way they worked out was great. And there are a couple of moments that only work in this environm
Andrew Uys
Nov 26, 2013 Andrew Uys rated it really liked it
A tight fast-paced 4 issue story that reverses the usual superhero POV, and has the reader rooting for the criminals as they head to Spain to take on the world's greatest (even though he has retired) super villain all in a bid to settle a $100 million Vegas debt. Fun with smart snappy dialogue & plotting from Mark Millar (The Ultimates, Kick Ass, Wanted), and stunning artwork from the always amazing Leinil Francis Yu. In the age of sprawling cross-overs and company-wide reboots, it is nice t ...more
Joe Young
Jun 25, 2013 Joe Young rated it liked it
Mark Millar - writer
Leinil Yu - artist

X-Men + Ocean's 11 (written by the great Mark Millar) = ?

The premise for this book excited me greatly, but sadly the execution did not live up to my high expectations. The writing feels lazy and the plot is essentially cribbed from Ocean's 11. Anybody who has seen the movie will easilly guess the plot twists in this book. Frequent Millar collaborator Leinil Yu does his usual, serviceable work on the art. Perhaps it is a matter of personal taste, but I have a
Carl Ingebretsen
Mar 30, 2016 Carl Ingebretsen rated it it was ok
Christopher
Sep 04, 2015 Christopher rated it it was amazing
X-men meets Oceans 11 is an accurate description of his book. Yet somehow it's not a complete fit. A slight
mix if humor, violence and crime are present throughout this, so keep that mind if your looking at for a gift. Clearly intended for mature audiences, this book doesn't skip on the blood or gore.

The charters and world is well drawn and thought out. While it may feature a few superheroes, most of the characters are super villains/criminals. Nothing like some super villain on super villain v
Kat
Holy. Shit.
Another masterpiece by Mark Millar. I can't even tell you who my favorite character was!!! I loved them all, and the story line was awesome. Comicbookresources.com was not joking when they said it's like X-Men meets Ocean's Eleven. If you are a Millar fan, you HAVE to read this! And there is this one part, totally throws you for a loop. And the ending was so good! I definitely can't wait for the next one to come out, if it hasn't already. And I heard this is going to be made into a mo
Casey
Oct 04, 2013 Casey rated it really liked it
Shelves: trade-paperbacks
I just read this today and while little surprises me anymore in the world of comics, I'm not jaded enough to not have enjoyed this little caper tale. If you need an enjoyable one-off tale without the commitment of buying further volumes to find out what comes next, check this one out :) Mark Millar rarely disappoints!
Jhon Daza
May 20, 2013 Jhon Daza rated it liked it
Uno más que trata de sacar el estereotipo de chicos con superpoderes, ésta vez con una mezcla de Oceans Eleven. Debo decir que es entretenida y algo predecible.
Confieso que inicié la lectura de éste cómic por mera curiosidad, porque me enteré que sería una película dirigida por Nacho Vigalondo, y pienso que como película funcione pero sin destacar, espero equivocarme porque me gusta mucho éste director.
Sharon
Feb 18, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Supervillians on a big-time caper? Count me in. Takes a while to really get going, and it suffers from the ensemble cast problem: we don't get enough time with each character to get to know them. But it's fun. The scene where the Diesels get across the molecular chainsaw... priceless. That's when I started laughing and really enjoying the ride.
BTW: this is definitely not YA. Blood & violence galore.
Nicole Trainor
This is probably my favorite work by Mark Millar. It's about as violent as Kick Ass, but much less than Wanted (which I couldn't even read) and Nemesis. Honestly, it was the set-up (super criminals pulling off a huge heist) that really got me. That, and the brothers, who cracked me up. It's really Wanted meets Ocean's 11/12/13. If you like heist movies and don't mind some extreme, yet somehow tasteful, violence, you'll get a kick out of this.
Anchorpete
Nov 07, 2014 Anchorpete rated it liked it
One of the reviews of this book calls it "X-men meets Ocean's 11". I really can't add a more accurate description to this book. It isn't like X-men meets Ocean's 11, it is the exact plot of Ocean's 11, with characters that have super powers. I still like this a lot better than Kick Ass 2 or Nemesis, but this was totally disposable.
***Dave Hill
Dec 27, 2013 ***Dave Hill rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: caper fans, Millar fans
Shelves: illustrated
Super-villains as protagonists is beginning to get a bit old hat (esp. from Millar), and caper tales are a dime a dozen these days. But I enjoyed this story from start to finish. It's not grand literature, and it smacks of "Hey, make a movie out of me!" writing, but that doesn't detract from a nice villain-on-villain romp a la "The Italian Job."
Ian
Oct 22, 2015 Ian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A first draft. Mistakes plot twists for pay-offs. Boringly assumes that we'll care about successful people being successful, which is all the more egregious, given that this is a heist--a story structure whose meat and potatoes are Things Going Wrong.

Millar's talented and successful, but he's clearly done challenging himself.
  • Rover Red Charlie
  • Harbinger, Volume 1: Omega Rising
  • 47 Ronin
  • Winter Soldier, Volume 2: Broken Arrow
  • Good Dog
  • Great Pacific Volume 1: Trashed!
  • 100 Bullets: The Deluxe Edition Book I
  • Mystery Men
  • Captain America: Living Legend
  • The Sentry
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 4: A Town Called Penance
Mark Millar is the New York Times best-selling writer of Wanted, the Kick-Ass series, The Secret Service, Jupiter’s Legacy, Jupiter’s Circle, Nemesis, Superior, Super Crooks, American Jesus, MPH, Starlight, and Chrononauts. Wanted, Kick-Ass, Kick-Ass 2, and The Secret Service (as Kingsman: The Secret Service) have been adapted into feature films, and Nemesis, Superior, Starlight, War Heroes, Jupit ...more
More about Mark Millar...