Start by marking “The Utter Relief of Holiness: How God's Goodness Frees Us from Everything that Plagues Us” as Want to Read:

What a relief it would be to be set free from all that plagues us -- the inner struggle with anger, or contempt, the habitual sins. Is such an experience possible? John Eldredge believes it is, and in THE UTTER RELIEF OF HOLINESS, he shows readers how they can be that free, though the healing work of Christ in their lives. It begins when we discover what the salvation of J ...more
ebook
Published January 8th 2013 by FaithWords (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Utter Relief of Holiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Utter Relief of Holiness

writer...
As a reviewer, I was delighted to discover a new John Eldredge release. And the cover certainly didn't dissuade my interest. I began reading with an openness to hear the author's premise, yet I admit to struggling with this book the further I read.
There seemed to be a greater focus on one's sin than the One Who has already conquered sin and it's wages. And where people focus their attention is where they walk. 'So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spir
Ian
Jan 24, 2013 Ian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I so love John Eldredge’s work. He has a way of capturing the essence of the desire in our hearts. This little book is no exception and in fact I’d suggest it’s one of his best.

He starts out by asking a question that I’ve never asked myself: “What is Christianity supposed to do to a person?” Such an obvious question I chided myself for never asking it of myself. He then points to Scripture to provide the answer. And we’re only at page 7.

A verse that I’ve read repeatedly through my life but never
Rebecca Waring-Crane
It's always tricky when someone gives me a book -- I love books and often love the person giving them -- however, books from close relatives make me nervous. In recent memory, a book came by post from someone who felt my definition of forgiveness needed correction. Fair enough. But the book lacked subtlety to such degree that passages of competent writing were overwhelmed with didactic sap. And I felt insulted. So many good books, so little time. And I'd invested my time in this...

This memory co
Joy Matteson
Oct 26, 2012 Joy Matteson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-finished
Nope, couldn't finish it. Got 75% through, and I found myself getting more annoyed at his conclusions. It's sad, because his earlier books were great.
Shauna
Jan 21, 2017 Shauna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The hope of Christianity is that we get to live the life of Jesus. His beautiful goodness can be ours. Jesus can heal what has gone wrong inside each and every one of us. ... God makes us whole by making us holy; he makes us holy by making us whole. Friends, the pursuit of a deep and genuine holiness is worth whatever it costs you. There is a way to be good again."

Another treasure from Eldredge--filled with the rhetoric he is so famous for, peppered with scripture and drenched in honesty. Oh,
P.A. Pursley
I love John Eldredge's books and this one is no exception. He dives deep into the life of Christ to show how living a holy life is not about restrictions or rules or laws. It's about liberty in God to love God and love others. It's about doing things for the right reason not because it's right. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

If you are looking for a book to show you a deeper way to live...this book is for you.
Jamie Pennington
Jan 02, 2017 Jamie Pennington rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holiness-books
A very good read. Thought provoking and challenging.
Daunavan Buyer
This was a great book. I highly recommend it and anything else by John Eldredge
Jennifer Wilson
Jan 24, 2013 Jennifer Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been a longtime fan of John Eldredge. I would almost venture to say he is my favorite author. At the very least he is the author of one of my favorite books. So when I heard he had written The Utter Relief of Holiness, I couldn’t wait to read it.

Like his other books, Elderdge takes the topic and presents it in a clear but challenging way with great application. However, as excited as I was about this book, it didn’t quite live up to my expectations. I wanted to LOVE this book. As it was,
Richard Kuhn
This is my introduction to John Eldredge. The author of the best-selling WILD AT HEART. What this book convinced me of is that if I ever needed a Christian Counselor, Eldredge is who I would first contact. It's clear that he is gifted at interpreting the Scriptures and experience in application of those scriptures for counseling needs, such as problems arising out of dependency issues, overcoming fear, lack of security, etc. In fact, other than Gary Chapman, author of THE FIVE LOVE LANGUAGES, El ...more
Paul Kurtz
Eldredge says a lot of good things in the book, but I couldn't help feeling that something wasn't quite right. Perhaps it was because I had read one of his previous books and just don't trust him. Anyway, I felt something was off but couldn't figure out what it was. When I get stuck like that, I look for help from other reviewers. I found a helpful review at:

I got the sense that Eldredge's concept of holiness was moralistic and law based rather than truly
Alec
Mar 20, 2014 Alec rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
This book requires you to get honest with yourself. It brings to light, how much do you want Jesus? How much do you love Jesus? Are you willing to allow Jesus full control over your life so that He can accomplish all that He wants for you? This is not a book for the feint of heart but for people that want to grow closer to the Messiah.

It's a great book on Jesus's power in living a holy life. Eldredge address humanities need for wholeness and holiness in God; by giving ourselves to God we are mo
Kristine
Jan 29, 2013 Kristine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"There is a way to be good again." It's the premise that underlies John Eldredge's latest release, "The Utter Relief of Holiness."

At first blush, the title seems an oxy-moron. Most people don't mention "relief" and "holiness" in the same breath. Eldredge shows us how a popular misconception of "holiness" - technical rule-keeping - is so far from the mark: the life of Jesus lived out in you.

Tight prose, personal illustrations and practical applications show you how God's love can make you both w
Scott Wozniak
Apr 02, 2013 Scott Wozniak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eldredge wrote yet another masterpiece. It's easy to read--even fun to read. The stories and challenges are poignant but not overly dramatic. And the insights are so true and so helpful.

A central theme is that wholeness and holiness are two sides of the same coin. We've misunderstood holiness as some austere, abstract posture when it's the freedom and peace and happiness we've been searching for.

Grounded with clear scripture support and not very long, it's possible that this brief book could t
Krista
I love John Eldredge's writings - so even though I've read most of his books and am thoroughly familiar with his style of teaching God's word (obviously I enjoy his teaching style!), I did like the refresher course of reading this book. It's a short book, but don't be fooled: it's not a book you can rush through, unless you're planning on not getting anything out of it. I think this book is a fantastic writing on the APPEAL of holiness, which is something almost no one talks about these days; bu ...more
J.C.L. Faltot
Oct 08, 2014 J.C.L. Faltot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading Eldredge for many years now. Every new entry he releases seems to dive a little deeper into what makes God so mysterious yet so accessible to us at the same time. Another solid book about becoming more like Christ. A small group of men went through this book as part of a study for the better part of about nine months and found it to be a worthwhile read. A great thing about John's writing is that he excels at making the hyperspiritual sound practical. To someone wanting to live ...more
Jonathan Aman
I love John. I've read everything he's written. And, while there is a lot of good theology in this book, it just felt too dogmatic. Sure, I disagree with him on some things, and I don't really take issue with that; I disagree with most on these things. But, he just feels unusually harsh as of late.

As far as the writing, it's fine. His earlier works were beautifully written, but it's been a while since I've found any poetry in his phrasing. It's sad, because he absolutely has it in him.
Alexia Antoine
Aug 26, 2015 Alexia Antoine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eldredge examines those tactics Jesus possessed intuitively and presents them in a way that we can use for our own safeguarding. The result? Freedom from strongholds in our lives so that we are above the effects of sin are dead to sin and alive to Christ! This book allows the scaffolding needed to "gut out" one's faith walk and rebuild it form the ground up beginning with a firm foundation of understanding.
John Fletcher
Aug 04, 2014 John Fletcher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was surprisingly fantastic and enjoyable. Holiness isn't exactly a subject that is something I'm attracted to but the way John writes makes it easy to learn, open up my heart, and see new ways and places Jesus is. It's surprisingly practical with prayers to pray every day, and ways to the Lord in our own brokenness. I encourage anyone to pick it up and read it.
Jacqueline Gabert
Mar 23, 2014 Jacqueline Gabert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I read the book, I did begin to see the utter relief of holiness but I felt that while the step by step prayers were helpful they also seemed simplistic. I can't completely explain why I felt that way. I also had a very difficult time relating to the examples in the later part of the book at times. I would say that the book left me with a more hopeful outlook on holiness.
Bruce Baker
Mar 17, 2013 Bruce Baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. I have a spiritual brother in John Eldredge. This is written not just to challenge or encourage, but offers practical help in seeking holiness in difficult places. I have always appreciated his Ransomed Heart Ministries and this is just another effort in helping us love God more. Highly recommended.
Karen
Jul 23, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Eldredge KNOWS how to explain Christianity in a way that is both inviting and eye opening. Would highly recommend this book to both seekers and mature christians. Did you know that, if you are a believer, your heart is good? This book explains through scripture how that is true and what it should mean in how you live out your christianity.
Lisa Oldham
I LOVE this book! the author really makes you think about how you live your life and your motivations. He pulls no punches about what our motives are, only pure ones count for holiness. Such a simple concept but so profound. If we live like Christ, which we have the power and authority to do, all the things that give us grief melt away.
Jenni Enzor
Dec 22, 2013 Jenni Enzor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second John Eldredge book I have read, and I was not disappointed. I love how he portrays the gospel, always full of grace. There were a lot of interesting insights in this book, and while I had read books about the healing through Christ, which he talks about at the end, I needed the reminder and enjoyed how it was explained.
Carolyn
Jun 05, 2013 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual I really liked this book by this author. I always seem to find what he says in his books to be very true and helpful. I am continuously rereading his books because I never seem to catch every bit of help that it has to offer. So I'm glad that I found one I hadn't read yet. This one was just as incitwful as the other ones.
Warren Nast
Jan 24, 2015 Warren Nast rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book with a deep message. This is the second time I have read this book. I believe Jesus forgives me but do I forgive myself? If I internalized the message correctly then life would be carefree. I know I have thought about this many times and will need to think about this subject about God's goodness and forgiveness more.
Ariste Egan
I love, love, love the title of this book! Holiness is wholeness. This book truly hits home the fact that Jesus has set the example for us, showing us that God's word will bring us closer to Him who loves us completely. I enjoyed Eldredge's reflections on scripture as they truly bring the scripture "to life" for the reader.
Chris
Apr 15, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Eldredge never disappoints. It is amazing to be able to get a grasp, in practical ways, on what it means to live a life of holiness, and no it is not something that you have to wait until you are 80 to attain.
Sarah Jane
Jul 02, 2014 Sarah Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book last year but didn't get around to reading this...which I believe was God's providence as this book actually answered a lot of questions I've been struggling with over the last few mk this, namely: "how do you love God?". What an insightful and encouraging book
Dani Nicole
Jul 06, 2013 Dani Nicole rated it it was amazing
This book really puts into words the state I'm in. It outlines specific goals and demonstrates prayers for healing. I am very thankful to have come across this book and thought it was written very clearly and intentionally. It certainly gave me a lot to think about.
  • God Loves You: He Always Has--He Always Will
  • Pursued: God's Divine Obsession with You
  • The Awakened Heart: Opening Yourself to the Love You Need
  • Max on Life: Answers and Insights to Your Most Important Questions
  • Etched...Upon My Heart: What We Learn and Why We Never Forget
  • The Mother Heart of God: Unveiling the Mystery of the Father's Maternal Love
  • When God Weeps: Why Our Sufferings Matter to the Almighty
  • Girls with Swords: Why Women Need to Fight Spiritual Battles
  • Better Than My Dreams: Finding What You Long For Where You Might Not Think to Look
  • Becoming Myself: Embracing God's Dream of You
  • The Signature of Jesus: The Call to a Life Marked by Holy Passion and Relentless Faith
  • The Unspoken Rules of Love: What Women Don't Know and Men Don't Tell You (Hammond, Michelle Mckinney)
  • All In: You Are One Decision Away From a Totally Different Life
  • When the Trees Say Nothing: Writings on Nature
  • These Are the Days of Elijah: How God Uses Ordinary People to Do Extraordinary Things
  • Holy Habits: A Woman's Guide to Intentional Living
  • Balance: A Story of Faith, Family, and Life on the Line
  • Indivisible: Restoring Faith, Family, and Freedom Before It's Too Late
John Eldredge is an author (you probably figured that out), a counselor, and teacher. He is also president of Ransomed Heart, a ministry devoted to helping people discover the heart of God, recover their own heart in his love, and learn to live in his Kingdom. John grew up in the suburbs of Los Angeles (which he hated), and spent his boyhood summers on his grandfather’s cattle ranch in eastern Ore ...more
More about John Eldredge...

“Now, remember, Jesus did not go around simply being nice to people. This is where the idea of “loving others” has gotten turned into a “get well” card. Christians honestly and sincerely believe that being nice is what they are called to do. No, you are called to do something far more powerful than be nice; you are called to love. And what love has in mind is not “How can I keep things running smoothly here?” but rather, “What does this person truly need?” This will change everything in the way you relate to people; it will help you love them.” 4 likes
“My dear Lord Jesus, I come to you now to be restored in you, to be renewed in you, to receive from you all the grace and mercy I so desperately need this day. I honor you as my sovereign Lord, and I surrender every aspect of my life totally and completely to you. I give you my spirit, soul and body, my heart, mind and will. Cover me with your blood—my spirit, soul and body, my heart, mind and will. I ask your Holy Spirit to restore me in you, renew me in you, and lead this time of prayer. [For husbands and/or parents] In all that I now pray, I include [my wife, and/or my children, by name]. Acting as their head, I bring them under your authority and covering. May the blood of Christ cover their spirit, soul and body, their heart, mind and will. Holy Spirit restore them in you, renew” 1 likes