Start by marking “Renegade (The Protectors, #1)” as Want to Read:
Renegade (The Protectors, #1)

Renegade (The Protectors #1)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  85 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
"Not. Dead. Yet." panted Valeria Banning behind a sour-tasting gag. She still had half a chance to survive." The Collegium Council sheriff for SE US follows the rules. Mage Griffin, sworn to protect innocents from dark magic, breaks rules. Together, they run for their lives - from the law, the threat of a ghoul takeover, and a possible Collegium mole.
Published November 6th 2012 by Forever Yours (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Renegade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Renegade

Katie_la_geek
Mar 22, 2013 Katie_la_geek rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, ebook-arc
Generally speaking I found Renegade entertaining. It started with a bang and is action packed from beginning to end which I like. The fast pace did mean that there were a couple of times where I felt a little confused or failed to understand what exactly was going on, and I thought some of the more fantasy aspects of the book could have been explained more but for the most part it was fine.

I thought the story line was good, I really enjoy fantasy and love to see it in a romance book instead of t
Shirley
Nov 05, 2012 Shirley rated it it was amazing
Wow… yep, that pretty much sums it up…. wow! I’m guessing you’re expecting more from a review, huh? Okay, if you insist. ;)

‘Not. Dead. Yet. Valeria Banning panted behind the sour-tasting gag. She still had half a chance to survive.’ Honestly, when the first line in a book packs that much of a punch, how can you not continue reading?

This book came to me out of the blue. It wasn’t on my radar, the author is brand new and I hadn’t seen much about it anywhere. Trust, me when I say that when Renegade
Lovey Dovey Books
Nov 13, 2012 Lovey Dovey Books rated it it was amazing
Nancy Northcott's first novel of the Protector Series is fabulous. Renegade, very aptly named, is filled to the brim with action, suspense, and of course, sizzling chemistry between the hero and heroine. Griffin Dare has lived the last 6 years in exile from the mages' Council. The former shire reeve, or sheriff, stumbled upon a dark secret that led to the death of his closest friends, and important members of the council. Valeria Banning finds herself in circumstances that lead her to follow in ...more
Sunny
Mar 15, 2013 Sunny rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, favorites, series
This is the start to "The Protector" series by Nancy Northcott. I enjoyed the world Ms. Northcott is creating for us. I especially love the characters. Griffin is heroic, noble, strong, and giving. Valleria is kickass and passionate with integrity and loyalty. For PNR, there is a lot of romance, so I loved it, of course! There is plenty of tension and hot vibrations between this couple and it is wonderful to see it develop. My only critique is Griffin's reasons for his separation with Valleria g ...more
Holly
Nov 25, 2012 Holly rated it it was amazing
This was a nice change of scenery for me with this book being about ghouls and Mages. The characters are likable and the story line if very intriguing with the right about of action and passion. Definitely recommend this one and I cannot wait for the second book to come out!
Cocktails and Books
When Griffin Dune, ex-Sheriff of the Southeastern Collegium discovers the current Sheriff, Valeria Banning, being held captive by ghouls close to his home, he's determined to rescue her and see her to safety before she can discover who he is. But there is something about Valeria that Griffin can't let go and he wants her to believe he's not the man everyone says he is. When she agrees to help him, they find themselves on the run, trying to figure out who they can trust and who the real threat th ...more
D.C.
Nov 24, 2012 D.C. rated it really liked it
ABOUT THE BOOK:
SHE FOLLOWS THE RULES

As the Collegium council's top sheriff of the southeastern United States, Valeria Banning doesn't just take her job seriously, she takes it personally. So when a notorious traitor wanted by the authorities suddenly risks his life to save hers, she has to wonder why.

HE BREAKS EVERY ONE OF THEM

As a mage, Griffin is sworn to protect innocents from dark magic, which is how he finds himself fighting side by side with the beautiful Valeria Banning. But when the coun
Miscjoy
Renegade is Nancy Northcott’s first published novel and is the first in her The Protectors series. She has created an interesting world of mages, ghouls, mundanes (non-mage humans) and demons. This story blurs the boundaries between PNR and UF with its strong romance elements and fast-paced, action-oriented plot. Regardless of how it’s categorized, I just really enjoyed it!

Northcott’s writing style is clean and engaging. She nailed the first sentence and dropped us into the story right in the th
Nancy
Nov 10, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it
This well-written book has all you’d want to keep you reading: great plot, hot men, sexy women and a total misunderstanding which may result in the death of one of the men. A world of mages and ghouls awaits you in Renegade.
Valeria Banning was nearly a match for her predecessor. Griffin Dare was a convicted murderer and ex-Sheriff of the Collegium. He knew self-defense, magic, how to make love (oh, yes he does!!) and how to do nearly anything except get his death sentence revoked. He has support
Terri Osburn
Nov 25, 2012 Terri Osburn rated it it was amazing
Great debut. I don't even read paranormals but I loved this one. Very grounded in the here and now so no new world to buy into. Very character driven. Highly recommend.
Phoenix77
Renegade turned out to be a tough book for me to review, but not for the reasons you’re probably thinking. There were many scenes and characters within Renegade that I enjoyed and highlighting those parts would make this a fairly upbeat review. However there were just as many ideas in the book that were confusing or weren’t as well executed against the whole, leaving me with a rather subdued opinion of the overall story.

Renegade takes place in a United States where magic users, or mages, hide i
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: Outlaw and sheriff must decide whether to trust each other or not.

Opening Sentence: Not. Dead. Yet.

The Review:

The synopsis of this story had me intrigued and moved this book up my rather large review book pile from the bottom of the stack. Plus the cover of this book is just “Yummy”, right? Add the fact that this is the first book in a series and I started to read.

Readers are thrown into a live or die situation from the start of the book. V
All Things Urban Fantasy
Nov 17, 2012 All Things Urban Fantasy rated it really liked it
Review Courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

RENEGADE is an engaging book with complex characters and a thrilling plot set in a world of mages and ghouls. I feared becoming lost and confused throughout the story when the first scene pretty much drops you right into the action but with such concise and detailed writing explaining the world as I went along at a steady pace I was able to easily get the hang of everything. The ongoing conflict between mages and ghouls was fascinating. I was especially
Dianne
Nov 19, 2012 Dianne rated it liked it
Shelves: galleys-arcs

This is your typical fantasy novel. We have of course the good guys (Valeria Banning), the bad guys (the Ghouls and an insider) and the 'maybe' guy Griffin Dare, a mage who has been on the run from an accusation of murder for 6 years.

Ms Northcott does what few authors dare to do and even less authors get away with, and that is to dump the reader directly into the authors world with no explanation of what to expect.

These two meet when Griff defies common sense and saves Val at the expense of his
Sandy
Nov 05, 2012 Sandy rated it really liked it
RENEGADE (The Protector Series #1) by Nancy Northcott

RENEGADE is the first storyline in Nancy Northcott’s (November 2012 release) Protector series. Renegade focuses on 27year old mage protector Valeria Banning and rogue mage Griffin Dare. As the shire reeve (sheriff) for the southeastern United States Valeria is responsible for a team of soldiers and is duty bound to kill Griffin Dare. Considered a rogue mage and a murderer, Griffin has been on the run for 6 years following the death of his form
Kylie Griffin
Jan 09, 2013 Kylie Griffin rated it really liked it
I spent the last couple of days devouring RENEGADE and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

I'm still mulling it all over in my head, digesting the story and characters. For me, this is a positive sign that the story has really impacted on me. I won't rehash the storyline, you can read the blurb for that.

Ms.Northcott's story was a mix of everything. What I really loved about RENEGADE was the mix of paranormal romance, solid world-building and the urban fantasy like feel to the setting/action.

RENEGADE was com
Romancing the Book
Feb 08, 2013 Romancing the Book rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, romance
Reviewer: Aubrey
Source: NetGalley
Aubrey's review was first posted at Romancing the Book's blog.

I really liked this book. It was a lot different than the typical paranormal romance out right now. The writing was witty and fast paced. The banter back and forth between the main characters was interesting and kept me wanting more. I enjoyed the fact that the main characters of Griffin and Val hated each other but had a strong attraction. I really rooted for them from the beginning.

The world build b
Corey
Jul 18, 2013 Corey rated it it was amazing
Valeria Banning is the Sheriff (or shire reeve) of the Mage Council and it is her job to bring in Mage Criminals. She does her job well and holds to honor…until she meets Griffin Dare! Griff is a fugitive on the run for the past 6 years. He has eluded Mage shire reeves for all this time and after an attack he meets the current shire reeve Valeria Banning. Valeria and Griffin meet end up working together to try to prove Griffins innocence and uncover a traitor in the Mage Council. Valeria stuggle ...more
Crystal
Dec 12, 2012 Crystal rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
This review was first posted at Reading Between the Wines!

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. I love, love, LOVE it when I get to read a great new well built world. This book is just that. Set in a contemporary world, it has a beautifully hidden society of mages and magic that the world's mundane (non magic using individuals) population is oblivious to. The action starts right off the bat with this book, and there is a steady of stream of it throughout.

The current Shire Reeve (Sheriff
Betty
Feb 26, 2013 Betty rated it it was amazing
Valeria Banning is a Sheriff in the Southeastern United States. She is dedicated to her job and is respected as one of the top in her field. During one raid her life is saved by a traitor who is wanted by the authorities. Valeria is curious as to why a man who was known as a traitor would risk sacrificing his life for hers. There is plenty of action in this book along with magic and a rather romantic love story. I found the book well written, the characters likable and cearly develpoed with an a ...more
Karilyn
Mar 08, 2014 Karilyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, paranormal
Loved this book! I've found a new author to read.
Spinneretta
Feb 06, 2015 Spinneretta rated it really liked it
A good start to this paranormal romance series.
Kate
Well, I finished it, so that's saying something as I'm currently in the middle of a reading slump. Can't say I love-loved it or anything, but it was diverting and fun, with pretty non-stop action and plot twists and turns. Our hero and heroine could never know who to trust, including each other. There were a few moments when I did get a little teary, and I liked the interesting mythology, though it seemed to get a little too technical near the middle, with some info dumps courtesy of Will.
Ria
Dec 29, 2013 Ria rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, pnr, magic
Dang, I had high hopes for this but it didn't work for me. Lots of effort was put into the world building and the magic system was well thought out. Yet there was something irritatingly perfect about both Val and Griff that stopped me from really caring about either of them. Also... did I read correctly or does our hero wear denim cutoffs early on?! Far too reminiscent of Tobias Funke for me.
Helen
Mar 16, 2013 Helen rated it it was amazing
This ia an amazing story I loved it from start to finish so well written and Griff is such an amazing hero and so so who Val needed. This story is filled with adventure and passion as Griff and Val fight ghouls and dark magic.
I highly recomend this book it has given me hours of reading pleasure
Valorie
Jun 27, 2013 Valorie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-series
The story line of this book sounded interesting but wasn't sure what to expect. I loved this story!! The characters, the action, the twists and turns and the emotions of the main characters put you in the story. Can't wait for the next one!
Janga
Oct 31, 2012 Janga added it
I departed from my usual subgenres to read this fantasy adventure set in Georgia's Okefenokee Swamp. I'm glad I did. The world is fascinating, and the characters are compelling. A review will be posted at Just Janga next week.
Tracy
3.5
2kasmom
2kasmom marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
  • Nobody's Angel (Earth Angels, #1)
  • Luck of the Devil (Speak of the Devil, #1)
  • I Kissed a Dog (Werewolves of the West, #1)
  • Undying Destiny (The Enclave, #1)
  • Hearts of Fire (Deadglass, #0.5)
  • The Fallen Queen (The House of Arkhangel'sk, #1)
  • Stone Lover (Stone Passions, #1)
  • Flamebound (Lone Star Witch, #2)
  • Caged Warrior (Dragon Kings, #1)
  • The Thing About Weres (Mystwalker, #2)
  • Secret of the Wolf (Warriors of the Rift, #2)
  • Night Forbidden (Envy Chronicles, #5)
  • First Bite (Dark Wolf, #1)
  • Four Weddings and a Werewolf (Seattle Wolf Pack, #2)
  • There All Along
  • How Beauty Saved the Beast (Tales of the Underlight #2)
  • Soul of the Dragon (Soul, #1)
  • Dark Wolf (Spirit Wild, #1)
Nancy Northcott’s childhood ambition was to grow up and become Wonder Woman. Around fourth grade, she realized it was too late to acquire Amazon genes, but she still loved comic books, science fiction, fantasy and YA romance. A sucker for fast action and wrenching emotion, Nancy combines the romance and high stakes she loves in the books she writes.

Her debut novel, Renegade, received a starred rev
More about Nancy Northcott...

The Protectors (4 books)
  • Sentinel: A Light Mage Wars Novella (Light Mage Wars #0.5)
  • Protector (The Protectors, #1.5)
  • Guardian (The Protectors, #2)