Start by marking “Shotguns v. Cthulhu” as Want to Read:
Shotguns v. Cthulhu

Shotguns v. Cthulhu

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  107 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Pulse-pounding action meets cosmic horror in this exciting collection from the rising stars of the New Cthulhuiana. Steel your nerves, reach into your weapons locker, and tie tight your running shoes as humanity takes up arms against the monsters and gods of H. P. Lovecraft’s Cthulhu Mythos. Grab your pistols, your knives, your gearpunk grenades. Confront deep ones, mi-go, ...more
Published November 1st 2012 by Stone Skin Press

To ask other readers questions about Shotguns v. Cthulhu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shotguns v. Cthulhu

Jonathon Dyer
Feb 02, 2013 Jonathon Dyer rated it it was amazing
H.P. Lovecraft died in 1937, five months shy of his forty-seventh birthday. In his lifetime he published over sixty pieces of what he referred to as Cosmic Horror, a blend of science fiction and horror; nearly all of his stories revolved around a complex pantheon of ancient gods and otherworldly beings that has come to be known as the Cthulhu mythos. These works were nearly all short stories, with the exception of a handful of sustained narratives, including The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, At t ...more
Scott von Berg
Jul 27, 2015 Scott von Berg rated it really liked it
It's a collection, and it's pretty hit or miss with me.

If you're a fan of the Chtulu/horror genre, you pretty much know where you're going and what to expect. Execution varies, from a couple of genuinely entertaining yarns to what feels like a bad set of game notes from an RPG session.

The editor's submission was particularly good - Laws has had his toes in and around the tentacles for quite a while, and does a good job showing how things can be done.

I gave it 4 stars, because there was certai
Tommy
May 20, 2014 Tommy rated it liked it
As most short story collections go, the results were mixed. While some of the stories really embodied love crafts style, and we're great tales, others lacked in the great horror that we all know and love.
Frances
Jun 27, 2015 Frances rated it liked it
My rule is four stars if I think everyone with an interest in the genre should read the book, and at this point I'm kind of torn on exactly what the genre IS; mythos, horror adventure, horrific adventure...

At that point, drawing back to think about how I'd rate it overall. There are some really good stories, but also one I found it a grind to get through. Keeping in mind that any anthology is going to be a mix, I'm giving it a solid three and adding I'm very glad to have picked it up.
Chris Jackson
Mar 19, 2013 Chris Jackson rated it really liked it
I've never been much of an H.P. Lovecraft fan, but this montage of short stories really was a pleasure to read. Many different and vivid takes on the mithos, with some really hair raising and stomach churning tales... Made me want to write one myself.

Dave Versace
Jun 10, 2013 Dave Versace rated it really liked it
An excellent anthology of stories injecting thrilling action into H.P. Lovecraft's often rather staid cosmic horror cycle (though the editor, Robin D Laws, takes care to point out that there was a fair amount of potboiling action in the source stories themselves). With one clunking and risible exception that sounds a lot like after-play report from a particularly overwrought convention scenario, by a writer who has been around more than long enough to know better, these are all fine stories. The ...more
Mouldy Squid
Apr 10, 2015 Mouldy Squid rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Lovecraft
Shelves: horror
A fairly interesting collection of Lovecraft inspired tales where the theme is somewhat different from most anthologies of this type. Instead of the typical Lovecraft hero, here we have those who fight against the decayed tide of Cthulhu not with books or spells, but firearms, axes and steel. Some good stuff here, particularly the Mamatas, who seems to be the rising star of Lovecraftiana, as well as Fifer and Lackey (the minds behind The H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast).

A nice addition to the co
Rose
Dec 08, 2015 Rose rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
All are at least pretty good, but Kenneth Hite's story stands out as by far the best.
Rob Lightner
Jun 25, 2013 Rob Lightner rated it really liked it
I'm somewhat biased, as my friend Rob Heinsoo has a terrific piece in this collection. That said, I enjoyed most of these stories tremendously, and the one or two misses only accentuated the hits. Dark, scary, action-packed, and often quite funny, the book is wonderfully entertaining. The editor, Robin D. Laws, wrote a wonderful story that captures the hilarity and soul-terror of transformation. This is well worth a read.
Robdguk
Sep 21, 2013 Robdguk rated it really liked it
a thoroughly enjoyable collection of short stories, which draw inspiration for H.P. Lovecraft's cthulhu mythos with more energy.

One or two stories feel as if the are narrative of an RPG, but they were probably some of my favourites, in honesty.
Jessie B.
Apr 15, 2015 Jessie B. rated it really liked it
An excellent collection of action oriented stories set in the world of the Cthulhu mythos. While some stories are better than other, most are excellent and very enjoyable.
Pete731
Aug 27, 2013 Pete731 rated it it was amazing
Awesome collection of freaky fiction. Quite enjoyed it, a good variety of stories, some traditonal cthulhu fare, some pushing the boundaries.
Brian Curley
Jan 20, 2014 Brian Curley rated it really liked it
Overall a good selection of newmythos tales, some a bit more action-film-ish than others. An entertaining read. Now it needs a sequel.
Derrick
Sep 29, 2015 Derrick rated it really liked it
reread and still great
Jordan Valentine
May 12, 2015 Jordan Valentine rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned, weird
Too slow. Did not like.
Tatiana
Tatiana marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Rory
Rory marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
s2
s2 marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Audier Velasquez
Audier Velasquez marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Rusty
Rusty marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Nils Müller
Nils Müller marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Wes
Wes marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Cody Goodfellow
Cody Goodfellow rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Andyhat
Andyhat marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
John Justiss
John Justiss marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Tyler Omichinski
Tyler Omichinski marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Nelson Mendoza
Nelson Mendoza marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Simeon Berry
Simeon Berry marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
  • The Dunwich Cycle: Where the Old Gods Wait (Cthulhu Cycle Book, #9)
  • The Hounds of Tindalos
  • The Lovecraft Anthology: Volume 2
  • World War Cthulhu: A Collection of Lovecraftian War Stories
  • Disciples of Cthulhu
  • Mysteries of the Worm: Twenty Cthulhu Mythos Tales by Robert Bloch (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • Historical Lovecraft
  • A Natural History of Hell: Stories
  • Black Wings: New Tales of Lovecraftian Horror
  • Bleeding Shadows
  • Lovecraft's Monsters
Writer and game designer Robin D. Laws brought you such roleplaying games as Ashen Stars, The Esoterrorists, The Dying Earth, Heroquest and Feng Shui. He is the author of seven novels, most recently The Worldwound Gambit from Paizo. For Robin's much-praised works of gaming history and analysis, see Hamlet's Hit Points, Robin's Laws of Game Mastering and 40 Years of Gen Con.
More about Robin D. Laws...