Start by marking “Shotguns v. Cthulhu” as Want to Read:
Shotguns v. Cthulhu

Shotguns v. Cthulhu

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Pulse-pounding action meets cosmic horror in this exciting collection from the rising stars of the New Cthulhuiana. Steel your nerves, reach into your weapons locker, and tie tight your running shoes as humanity takes up arms against the monsters and gods of H. P. Lovecraft’s Cthulhu Mythos. Grab your pistols, your knives, your gearpunk grenades. Confront deep ones, mi-go, ...more
Published November 1st 2012 by Stone Skin Press

To ask other readers questions about Shotguns v. Cthulhu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shotguns v. Cthulhu

Jonathon Dyer
H.P. Lovecraft died in 1937, five months shy of his forty-seventh birthday. In his lifetime he published over sixty pieces of what he referred to as Cosmic Horror, a blend of science fiction and horror; nearly all of his stories revolved around a complex pantheon of ancient gods and otherworldly beings that has come to be known as the Cthulhu mythos. These works were nearly all short stories, with the exception of a handful of sustained narratives, including The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, At t ...more
Tommy
As most short story collections go, the results were mixed. While some of the stories really embodied love crafts style, and we're great tales, others lacked in the great horror that we all know and love.
Frances
My rule is four stars if I think everyone with an interest in the genre should read the book, and at this point I'm kind of torn on exactly what the genre IS; mythos, horror adventure, horrific adventure...

At that point, drawing back to think about how I'd rate it overall. There are some really good stories, but also one I found it a grind to get through. Keeping in mind that any anthology is going to be a mix, I'm giving it a solid three and adding I'm very glad to have picked it up.
Chris Jackson
I've never been much of an H.P. Lovecraft fan, but this montage of short stories really was a pleasure to read. Many different and vivid takes on the mithos, with some really hair raising and stomach churning tales... Made me want to write one myself.

Dave Versace
An excellent anthology of stories injecting thrilling action into H.P. Lovecraft's often rather staid cosmic horror cycle (though the editor, Robin D Laws, takes care to point out that there was a fair amount of potboiling action in the source stories themselves). With one clunking and risible exception that sounds a lot like after-play report from a particularly overwrought convention scenario, by a writer who has been around more than long enough to know better, these are all fine stories. The ...more
Mouldy Squid
Apr 10, 2015 Mouldy Squid rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Lovecraft
Shelves: horror
A fairly interesting collection of Lovecraft inspired tales where the theme is somewhat different from most anthologies of this type. Instead of the typical Lovecraft hero, here we have those who fight against the decayed tide of Cthulhu not with books or spells, but firearms, axes and steel. Some good stuff here, particularly the Mamatas, who seems to be the rising star of Lovecraftiana, as well as Fifer and Lackey (the minds behind The H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast).

A nice addition to the co
Scott von Berg
It's a collection, and it's pretty hit or miss with me.

If you're a fan of the Chtulu/horror genre, you pretty much know where you're going and what to expect. Execution varies, from a couple of genuinely entertaining yarns to what feels like a bad set of game notes from an RPG session.

The editor's submission was particularly good - Laws has had his toes in and around the tentacles for quite a while, and does a good job showing how things can be done.

I gave it 4 stars, because there was certai
Rob Lightner
I'm somewhat biased, as my friend Rob Heinsoo has a terrific piece in this collection. That said, I enjoyed most of these stories tremendously, and the one or two misses only accentuated the hits. Dark, scary, action-packed, and often quite funny, the book is wonderfully entertaining. The editor, Robin D. Laws, wrote a wonderful story that captures the hilarity and soul-terror of transformation. This is well worth a read.
Robdguk
a thoroughly enjoyable collection of short stories, which draw inspiration for H.P. Lovecraft's cthulhu mythos with more energy.

One or two stories feel as if the are narrative of an RPG, but they were probably some of my favourites, in honesty.
Jessie B.
An excellent collection of action oriented stories set in the world of the Cthulhu mythos. While some stories are better than other, most are excellent and very enjoyable.
Pete731
Awesome collection of freaky fiction. Quite enjoyed it, a good variety of stories, some traditonal cthulhu fare, some pushing the boundaries.
Brian Curley
Overall a good selection of newmythos tales, some a bit more action-film-ish than others. An entertaining read. Now it needs a sequel.
Jordan Valentine
Too slow. Did not like.
Andrew Buchanan
Andrew Buchanan marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Doug Irvine
Doug Irvine marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Frostnorn
Frostnorn marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Alessandra
Alessandra marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Benjamin Brown
Benjamin Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Munderpool
Munderpool marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Dan J
Dan J marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Carly Nicholas
Carly Nicholas marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Fabien Niñoles
Fabien Niñoles marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Jasmine
Jasmine is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2015
Mike Burns
Mike Burns marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Jeremy Maddux
Jeremy Maddux marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Wade Castle
Wade Castle marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Andrew Rogers
Andrew Rogers marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
  • The Book of Cthulhu II
  • New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos
  • My Favorite Horror Story
  • You Shall Never Know Security
  • Harbinger of the Storm (Obsidian and Blood, #2)
  • Historical Lovecraft
Writer and game designer Robin D. Laws brought you such roleplaying games as Ashen Stars, The Esoterrorists, The Dying Earth, Heroquest and Feng Shui. He is the author of seven novels, most recently The Worldwound Gambit from Paizo. For Robin's much-praised works of gaming history and analysis, see Hamlet's Hit Points, Robin's Laws of Game Mastering and 40 Years of Gen Con.
More about Robin D. Laws...
The Worldwound Gambit (Pathfinder Tales) Robin's Laws of Good Game Mastering Blood of the City (Pathfinder Tales) Hamlet's Hit Points Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells (Dungeons & Dragons d20 3.5 Fantasy Roleplaying)