Start by marking “Transcendence (Transcendence, #1)” as Want to Read:
Transcendence (Transcendence, #1)

Transcendence (Transcendence #1)

When a visit to the Tower of London triggers an overwhelmingly real vision of a beheading that occurred centuries before, Cole Ryan fears she is losing her mind. A mysterious boy, Griffon Hall, comes to her aid, but the intensity of their immediate connection seems to open the floodgate of memories even wider.

As their feelings grow, Griffon reveals their common bond as mem
ebook, 1st Edition
Published June 5th 2012 by Bloomsbury USA

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Read This Review & More Like It On My Blog!

4.25 out of 5 stars

First, immediate thoughts upon finishing this quick read of a teenage paranormal novel:

That was a lot of fun! That was original and wholly compelling, and it managed to be all that and more without a love triangle or a heroine who is too stupid to live! It can be done!

Though Transcendence inevitably hits a few bumps that keep it from being perfect, it was perfectly enjoyable and fully diverting for the few (far too short!) hours i
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A captivating storyline with plenty of romance, mystery, historical references, suspense and reincarnation. Transcendence introduces readers to an incredible world, fascinating characters and a unique story line. I've not read a lot of YA books that tackle reincarnation, and I was really surprised with how much I enjoyed C.J.'s story. I found it to be an incredibly intriguing, fun read. I didn't think this would be a story that I would get as swept up in as I did, and I really enjoyed it.

Being
J.C. Phillipps
Aug 07, 2012 J.C. Phillipps rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Transcendence is the kind of book that hits my sweet spot. It's based in reality but an enhanced reality, a magical reality. It's here and now but with a fun twist: reincarnation.

I really loved the way C. J. Omololu weaved the snippets of memory of Cole's past lives into the narrative. The flow was smooth and I always felt as though I was right there with her. The overall writing is fabulous. I love good writing where I might think, "Wow, I love how she put that," without being yanked out of th
Andrew
Dec 25, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The concept and characters for this story are very intriguing and quite unique. At the beginning we meet Cole, or Nicole, a girl who's visiting London with her sister and father. She begins to have these sort of 'visions' and eventually it's too much for her and she faints, falling into the arms of a boy we later find out to be Griffon.
Moving along a few weeks, she believes these visions have stopped. Unfortunately for her they haven't and who does she find is living in the same place as her aro
Rose
Initial reaction: "Transcendence" had many elements that intrigued me - mystery, suspense, romance, loose ties to Egyptian lore, a decent time travel story, and nice characterization. It does start a little sluggish with setting the pieces and people in the story in place, but once the story finds its stride, it doesn't let go. I really enjoyed the relationship between Cole and Griffon.

Full review:

"Transcendence" is one of the stronger YA fantasy/time-travel stories I've read in a while. Granted
Jun 17, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, arc-s
At first I wasn’t sure what to think, I was sucked in but started to dislike Griffon pretty much right away. I thought this book had the making of a beautiful disaster, but yet again, I was wrong. This book is beautiful, but certainly not a disaster. After Griffon comes clean, there was no way to not like him. He is totally lovable.

Cole is confused, pretty much throughout the entire book, and I don’t blame her. Just when you think you know what is going on, you, the reader, are left even more co
Kimberly
Apr 25, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
So i won this book for free through the giveaways here on goodreads. I had never heard of the author before so I had not idea what to expect. But boy i wasnt disappointed!

The plot of the story was wonderful. The way it was played out made sense but also kept you wondering and interested. The romance between Cole and Griffon was beautiful, how they just seemed to click. It was a different type of story, fresh and new, which is what I liked so much about it. I think that in some parts it should h
Stephanie Cowart
Jun 03, 2012 Stephanie Cowart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I received a copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley.
This is a fantastic book! I'm so glad it's got a sequel because I definitely want more of Griffon and Cole!
I was hooked from the first chapter that describes Cole and her sister Kat on a Spring Break trip to London. That's where Cole starts having disturbing visions and she meets Griffon for the first time.
When she returns home to San Francisco and the visions continues, Cole thinks she's going crazy. She reconnects with Griffon and
Anna Banana
Mar 31, 2012 Anna Banana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review: What were my expectations of this book? Hmm I thought it sounded interesting enough and I figured I would enjoy it but never did I think I would end up liking the book so much.

From the first page, I was hooked. I could hardly believe it myself as I looked down and realized I finished the book in a matter of a few hours but it was just that good. Everything about the book from the characters, details, even the little things they said had me smiling and eagerly reading on.

Another cool fac
Constance Burris
Jan 25, 2016 Constance Burris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Mature YA Read

Great Mature YA Read. Highly recommend. I usually like my YA with more action, and there were spots that seemed a bit slow. But overall it was a great read and full of surprises.
Sophie
Sep 03, 2013 Sophie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Ich bin begeistert! :) Die beiden Hauptcharaktere sind echt toll und die Handlung sehr spannend. Manchmal haben mich aber Coles Reaktionen ein wenig verwirrt. Ich freue mich auf den nächsten Band!
Shaheen
While I enjoyed Transcendence and it certainly kept me entertained, there are ultimately too many things I didn't like about it to really proclaim it an instant favourite. I think the past-lives, reincarnation aspect is handled well (and ties to Egyptian mythology are always a plus), but the characters and the plotting could have been much, much better.

We begin with the world-building, wherein everyone reincarnates, but only a special few, called Ahket, remember their past lives. The awakening,
Jessica (Stuck in Books)
Transcendence was so much better than I expected it to be. I had been putting off reading it for a really long while now, so I decided I should read it. Now I'm so glad I did. I read this book in something like 24 hours. I started it Saturday night and finished it Sunday night -- Mothers Day! It was intriguing and sweet and just something I couldn't help but keep reading. It was practically glued to my hands throughout the duration of last weekend.

At first glance, this book seems to be just one
BAYA Librarian
This novel has an interesting paranormal concept that plays out in a disconnected, melodramatic plot with forgettable characters. It may appeal to younger teens who still love vampire stories, or are bored of vampire stories but still want that romance-between-beings-with-eternal-life thing. It may also interest readers interested in the concept of reincarnation.

San Francisco high school student and cello prodigy Cole Ryan is visiting the Tower of London during summer vacation when she is overco
Meaghan
May 26, 2012 Meaghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will admit that when I was first approached about this book I was a little hesitant. The historical element made me a little nervous. Since I have been blogging I have learned that I am not a historical girl and I did not want to accept a book to review that I would not end up enjoying. I read a little more about it online and was really intrigued by the whole idea of past lives I so decided to give it a try anyway. I am very happy that I did give this book a chance, because while there are h ...more
Kristin
Jul 17, 2012 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will say this, I love time travel books. Especially those by Connie Willis (just saying check out her books if you haven't). But, until yesterday, I don't believe I have ever read a book dealing with reincarnation. Who know it could be so much fun?

Nicole "Cole" Ryan was just a normal sixteen-year-old girl (minus the whole child prodigy bit). Until she started to "fall" into visions. Visions of things that happened in the past. No, not her immediate past, but from times long ago. We first meet
Chiara (delicate eternity)
A copy of this novel was provided Bloomsbury Australia in exchange for an honest review.

Transcendence was an addictive read. As some of you may know, past lives are kind of a weakness for me. I love the notion that we may have lived entirely different lives to the ones we are living now. Like I said, kind of a weakness.

Transcendence opens with Nicole in London, receiving visions (or flashbacks) of her past lives (not that she knows this – yet). There, she meets Griffon. A beautiful boy who she s
Book Sp(l)ot
Jan 06, 2012 Book Sp(l)ot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, 2012-release
Nicole - Cole to everyone but her mother - Ryan has been getting strange feelings as she tours London with her sister. It's as if she already knows what's around the corner - or what used to be. Streets she's never been on feel familiar to her, old buildings hold a sense of déjà vu as well.

This is Cole's first trip to London so she has no explanation for the feelings, either.

Nor does she know why at the Tour of London she's almost overcome with visions of a beheading - and it feels like her own!
Canadian Reader
While on a vacation visit to the Tower of London, high-school junior and cello prodigy, Cole (Nicole) Ryan experiences a waking dream, a hallucination in which she is not an observer, but a participant. She finds herself to be a young woman in 1538 about to be executed within the walls of the tower grounds. When Cole comes to, dizzy and disoriented among the many tourists, Griffon, a young fellow American also from San Francisco, comes to her aid. He later provides the initially incredulous Cole ...more
Amber
May 29, 2012 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, 2012, for-review
Transcendence was amazing! I couldn't put this book down. There was so much mystery and suspense. If you are interested in reincarnation, this is a great pick for you. The unique storyline was so captivating. I simply can't say how fascinating this story is.

I actually think it would be just amazing to be able to remember past lives. To see how different the world has become through the years, centuries even. Cole and Griffon were two Akhet's, people who can remember who they were in the lives t
A Book Vacation
May 12, 2012 A Book Vacation rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Initially, I had a hard time getting into this story. I felt like everything was a bit pushed and I didn’t understand what was happening with the flashbacks. I liked the introduction of Griffon, but then he disappeared and I was confused as to his role in the book. But then, it all came together, fairly quickly, and Omololu did a great job putting together the pieces of the puzzle, explaining everything, and capturing my interest, especially as the truth behind the Akhet came to light.

In my opin
Stacy
Jul 11, 2012 Stacy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, own
I was in the worst reading slump of my life until I read this book. This story got me excited to read again. It has all the elements that I love in a YA book without becoming cliche. It has love without the instant cheesiness, mystery without the low points and the fresh new concept of reincarnation. The author is also displaying the new wave of feminism. Where a girl is not a helpless creature or a manly brute but a strong female who can take care of herself. I can not wait for the next book in ...more
Christian
Jan 12, 2013 Christian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Knappe, aber doch wohlverdiente 5 Sterne! Das Einzige, was mir nicht ganz so gut gefallen hat, war der leicht vorschnelle Anfang, aber danach gefielen mir Cole und die ganze Handlung einfach nur richtig gut. Das Ende war erst unglaublich spannend - ich dachte erst "Oh nein, nicht so ein Ich-wusste-dass-das-passiert-Ende!", wurde dann aber eines Besseren belehrt - und dann einfach nur unglaublich schön. ♥
Ich freue mich auf "Für immer die Zweifel" *-*
Miri
Supernatural/sci-fi-ish elements: great. Teen romance elements: blech. The plot is interesting (if occasionally predictable), but Cole's internal monologue regarding Griffon sounded a lot, too much like Bella Swan. So right now, four stars; in a few weeks we'll see which feeling I'm left with more strongly, and whether I drop it to three.
Feb 04, 2013 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
‟Für immer die Seele“ von Cynthia J. Omololu ist der Auftakt zu einer Fantasy-Jugendbuch-Trilogie, der mit der Wiedergeburt ein Element zum Thema macht, welches bisher in ähnlichen Romanen kaum Verwendung fand. Die Trilogie versprach in ihrem ersten Band also durchaus Neues, konnte mich aber leider nicht überzeugen.

Inhalt: Die 16jährige Cole, eine begabte Cellistin aus San Francisco, hat Visionen von vergangenen Zeiten. Als sie mit ihrer Schwester Kat bei einem Ferientrip den Tower of London bes
Deborah Milagros
Dec 27, 2015 Deborah Milagros rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: multiple-lives
Book: Transcendence

Author: C.J. Omololu

Length: 336

Published: June 5, 2012

Format: Hardcover (read e-book)

Source: NetGalley

My view

I requested this galley from NetGalley (http://www.netgalley.com) several weeks ago and received no answer. Last Friday, I requested a different book and a couple of hours later, I received four messages from them. I guess they were having issues with their systems since I was approved for two copies of the same book. Plus, I received two emails denying the reques
Stefanie Hasse hisandherbooks.de
Zitat:
"...solch eine Kleinigkeit genügt, um mich in eine andere Zeit, ein anderes Leben zu katapultieren. Und es gibt keinen Ort, an den ich fliehen kann, denn das alles geschieht in meinem Kopf."
(S.93)

"Ich weiß, dass es einen Sinn ergibt, aber ich kann es nicht zulassen, denn wenn ich es zulasse, wird alles anders sein. Dann hat nichts, was ich über das Leben zu wissen glaubte, mehr Bestand."
(S. 109)

Sarina
Jan 23, 2013 Sarina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jugendbuch, 2013
"Ich glaube nicht an Zufälle, sondern daran, dass man offenbleiben sollte für alles, was geschehen kann, damit man sich nicht mit dem Verstand alle Wege verbaut."(S. 114)

Zum Buchinhalt

Die sechzehnjährige Cole verbringt mit ihrer Schwester Kat und ihrem Vater die Ferien in London. Sie genießt den Trip in vollen Zügen, hat jedoch immer wieder das Gefühl, schon einmal an verschiedenen Orten gewesen zu sein. Sind diese Déja-Vu’s nur Zufall? Nein, dafür tauchen sie viel zu häufig auf. Und auch all di
Audrey Graser
Jul 18, 2013 Audrey Graser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: Transcendence
Author: C.J. Omololu
Genre: YA Paranormal Fiction
Publishing Information: 336 pages; June 5, 2012 by Walker Childrens
Series: Transcendence #1

Where I got it: E-book from the library

Synopsis from Goodreads:

"When a visit to the Tower of London triggers an overwhelmingly real vision of a beheading that occurred centuries before, Cole Ryan fears she is losing her mind. A mysterious boy, Griffon Hall, comes to her aid, but the intensity of their immediate connection seems to open th
Tintentraeume
Dec 17, 2012 Tintentraeume rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ich schaue in sein Gesicht, suche Hinweise dafür, dass er lügt. Ich hoffe auf ein Lidzucken oder einen verstohlenen Seitenblick, der ihn verrät und mir sagt, dass das nicht wahr ist. Dass Menschen nicht wiedergeboren werden und dass meine Visionen keine Rückblicke in irgendwelche früheren Leben sind. Aber ich entdecke keine Anzeichen. Er sagt die Wahrheit.
[S. 111]

Erster Satz:
Gleich geschieht es wieder, ich kann es spüren.

Inhalt:
Cole führt ein ganz normales Leben, zusammen mit ihrer Sc
Drew 1 6 Jul 10, 2013 10:49AM
  • Dust Girl (The American Fairy, #1)
  • Candlewax
  • Blackwood
  • Devine Intervention
  • On the Day I Died: Stories from the Grave
  • Peaceweaver
  • I Am (Not) the Walrus
  • Beautiful Decay
  • Living Violet (The Cambion Chronicles, #1)
  • Senshi (Katana, #2)
  • The Académie
  • The Girl is Trouble (The Girl is Murder, #2)
  • Intentions
  • The Emerald City (Osland Trilogy, #1)
  • The Peculiars
  • Logan und Gwen  (Das verbotene Eden, #2)
  • Shinobi Life, Vol. 05
  • Shackled
I write as C.J., but you can call me Cynthia. My YA novel DIRTY LITTLE SECRETS came out in early 2010. My next book TRANSCENDENCE came out in June of 2012, followed by the sequel INTUITION in June of 2013. My newest book is a YA thriller called THE THIRD TWIN and will be out in February 2015 followed by another standalone thriller RECOVERY in early 2016.

You might notice that I only give 4 or 5 st
More about C.J. Omololu...

Transcendence (2 books)
  • Intuition (Transcendence, #2)