Start by marking “White Man's Grave” as Want to Read:
White Man's Grave

White Man's Grave

Michael Killigan, a Peace Corps Volunteer in West Africa, is missing. The search for him is launched separately by his father, Randall, a master-of-the-universe and warlord of the Indianapolis bankruptcy courts. and Michael's best friend, Boone Westfall. Once in Freetown, Boone falls in with Sam Lewis, an unscrupulous Volunteer who's fed up with Sierra Leone, a country whi ...more
Published March 15th 1995 by Picador USA (first published June 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about White Man's Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Man's Grave

Julie H.
Sep 21, 2008 Julie H. rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The quick premise is that an ill/underprepared Peace Corps volunteer goes missing and his ruthless uber-capitalist father goes after him. Neither father nor son is quite prepared to take the local traditions seriously and...well...you learn a lot about cross-cultural respect, about indigenous belief systems and having a healthy respect for things see and unseen and, as but one consequence, you'll pay a lot more attention to trees. Parts are only scary, whereas other parts are ...more
Evan
Dec 19, 2007 Evan rated it liked it
While this is a work of fiction, it's a good backgrounder on the people and culture of Sierra Leone. It was written in the 90s, so you definitely need to keep that in mind when you're reading about the protagonist's custom laptop computer which is equipped with a CD-ROM drive.
Ami
Jun 03, 2008 Ami rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who like reading research papers on other cultures
I found Dooling's book to be a huge disappointment. It's a bit annoying to have the author and characters tell you the culture is too complex to be explained, but then they attempt to explain it anyway and primarily focus on witchcraft, rather than family and inter-village relations, as well colonial failures that have affected the culture of the Mende people. Mostly, I felt like Dooling had written a research paper on the Mende tribe and tried to turn it into a story. While there was some promi ...more
Mike
Dec 09, 2015 Mike rated it it was ok
Well, this was a book. Due to a unique schedule during the fall, my book reading goes to nil Sept-December for the most part. I finally found an opportunity and picked up this "Impressive.....sharply satiric" novel that I hadn't heard of before. Concept was "american people trying to figure out west africa to varying degrees of success" and pretty obvious Dooling was trying to take a Bonfire of the Vanities view to it's extreme. But...end of the day...it was kinda boring. I never really chuckled ...more
Diana Coe
Dec 07, 2007 Diana Coe rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: must-reads
I have read White Man's Grave three times now. This is the one paperback I have bought twice and now keep along with all of my beloved hardcovers. Dooling writes a wonderfully intertwined tale of two very disparate cultures. The crux of the story revolves around the almighty American dollar versus ancient, time-honored African customs. I came away from this book feeling very much vindicated in my belief that cultures should remain intact and while we can do our small part to help (as these peace ...more
Leif Erik
Jan 22, 2008 Leif Erik rated it it was amazing
Shelves: slacker-lit
This is the Great PCV novel. Funnier than any novel on the suffering of western Africa has any right to be, and a corrosive commentary on dominate tribal values of the middle of North America. Westfall's vision of his life in an Indiana sub-division is worth the price of admission alone.
Pat
Apr 01, 2008 Pat rated it liked it
Witchcraft anyone? Bush devils and fierce satire collide in this story partly set in the jungle in Sierra Leone -- a must read for aspiring Peace Corps volunteers who are poised to disappear in West Africa. Dig it!
Stephanie
Dec 27, 2007 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Fun fiction with a suprisingly accurate bit about Peace Corps hostels and bars.
Laura S Segal
Jan 02, 2017 Laura S Segal rated it it was amazing
Talk about West African culture! And wonderful satire regarding attorneys, politics, magic and more. I do not think I have ever had to look up word definitions as often as I did while reading this one!
Kris
Oct 20, 2014 Kris rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobooks
Library Journal
Behind the fairly simple story of a Peace Corps volunteer missing in West Africa and a friend's search to find him, one feels that some larger significance is brooding and expects it to appear at any moment. Unfortunately, it never does. The pace is fast, the style lush, and the atmosphere slightly ominous; there is plenty of action, adventure, and suspense; but somehow Dooling has not quite managed to make it all come alive. The result has to be one of the longest shaggy-dog stor
Titus Burley
Mar 04, 2011 Titus Burley rated it it was amazing
Occasionally a book surfaces that is so thought-provoking it demands insertion into an academic curriculum. If the book is a novel it is a near certainty that if incorporated into a curriculum, that volume will only go into an English or Literature curriculum. "White Man's Grave" is one of those rare novels that deserves inclusion into the required reading list of any Sociology curriculum. The book raises fundamental questions about cultural perceptions of reality and poses a powerful case for o ...more
Margo
Dec 05, 2016 Margo rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books because of its wicked humor and interesting plot lines set in Africa. I stumbled on it by accident many years ago and love, love, loved it. Will read again for sure and now that I think of it, I want to see what Dooling's written lately.
William Dooling
Feb 15, 2012 William Dooling rated it really liked it
Some of the best fiction written about Africa, this book has it all: Witches, Pidgin English, Mercenaries, Lawyers, and Giant Bats.

Obviously, I'm going to be a bit biased (and if you can't figure out why, just look at this page a bit more), but I don't throw recommendations around lightly, if you care at all about belonging to a "global community" that includes west africa, you need to read this book.

Statements like "We must appreciate and respect other cultures" are trite and easily dismissed
Dirk Baranek
Dec 30, 2011 Dirk Baranek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: us-literatur
Eines der komischsten Bücher, das ich kenne! Es handelt sich im Prinzip um einen Vergleich religiöser Kulturen - der des weißen Amerika und der des schwarzen Afrikas. Die Geschichte spielt zumeist in Afrika, wo ein US-Amerikaner in die Irrungen und Wirrungen afrikanischer Vodookulte gerät mit all ihren abgründigem Hexen- und Zauberglauben. Basiert auf wissenschaftlich basierten, religionssoziologischen Feldforschungen und ist hinreißend witzig erzählt, aber nicht auf Kosten dieser Leute. Sagen w ...more
Michael
Jun 16, 2011 Michael rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
This book has ended up in the pile of not-finished, and it's largely because the book features a number of cultural references that were much more relevant in 1994, when the book came out. I bought it for about a dollar, and if I end up needing space on the shelf, this book will probably be on the chopping block. I've attempted to read it four different times, which is about my limit for a book. I've finished books I hated, just to find the endgame. It takes a great deal for me to give up on a b ...more
Hannah Darr
Aug 03, 2015 Hannah Darr rated it liked it
"Suddenly the witch hosts realizes that the darkness he always so quickly saw in others is really only his own dark powers reflected in the looking glasses of their innocent hearts. He discovers that the evil he had always ascribed to human nature is really the fruit of his own wicked labors. He planted seeds, and now the harvest has come in. His life is filled with evil people, because they are his converts, members of his coven. In one horrible instant, he sees that he is the cause of much of ...more
Suzanne
May 12, 2013 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Wickedly funny, ugly American satire of cultural clash between classic greedy Westerners and a superstitious, primitive West African society. When Randall Killigan's Peace Corp son goes missing in
Sierra Leone, he receives a voodoo package that changes his life. Meanwhile in Africa, his best friend is searching for Michael Killigan, unwittingly wreaking havoc by his complete misunderstanding of the culture, and is also changed in ways that will remain with him forever. Not a good recruiting ad fo
Sep 28, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It reads almost as a mystery but Dooling brings an element of fear to the story as well. A father searches for his son in a country with a culture he doesn't understand. I think many Americans have a hard time understanding the many cultural ways that Africa differs from the world we live in. This book made me think about the experiences that my students and their families had living in Africa and how strange the United States must seem to them.
Paul Spencer
Apr 04, 2012 Paul Spencer rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I've ever read. I would recommend it to anyone. Perhaps it is because I've been to countries like this, but this book had it all. A good story, gut splitting humor and a setting that is so interesting. To bad it is such a dangerous place to visit now.

Anyone who reads this - READ THIS BOOK - it's also available on tape and CD read by George Guidell. Also a good way to read this book.
Nancy
Sep 04, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing
This was perhaps my third reread of this amazing book. It is still fascinating and scary. All the stuff Joseph Conrad hinted about in "Heart of Darkness," Dooling actually describes, and it's terrifying. No wonder the people of Sierra Leone are so frightened of Doctors without Borders. This explains their thinking. Highly recommended.
Ann-maree
Oct 01, 2014 Ann-maree rated it it was ok
The author started out with a brilliant idea to write about Sierra Leone, it's culture and beliefs. However, somewhere along the line he lost the plot and what started out to be a good read was similar to buying that craved for chocolate cake and trying to eat the whole lot in one sitting! Nice try, a very heavy read.
Kim Pruitt
Mar 02, 2008 Kim Pruitt rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me during my African studies class at Oklahoma State University. My professor was the most engaging white man of small stature who ALWAYS wore a bow tie and had an undying love for Sierra Leone and Africa itself. he book is a wonderful window into Africa and it's complex relationship with the world including those trying to help.
Maud Bayat
Nov 15, 2014 Maud Bayat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ص=
«مردم جهان اول هر شب سر سفره ی شام، کودکان جهان سوم را می خوررند.»
داستان زیبا و قیاس جالبی بود بر جهل و ظلم دو جهان متفاوت. (مرسی دایی جان)
با سپاس از مترجم ولی انتقادی دارم به ایشون! به اندازه ی کافی واژه عربی در زبان ما هست لطفا واقعا عربی ها را استفاده نکنید. مثل ید (دست)، دق الباب و ...
Thurston
Dec 20, 2010 Thurston rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Having spent two years in the Peace Corps in Sierra Leone, I can attest to its accuracy. Anyone planning on traveling in this part of the world would be well advised to read this book.
Belen
Oct 19, 2008 Belen rated it really liked it
This is a satirical story of a peace corps volunteer who goes missing in Africa and his corporate lawyer father who goes looking for him. It is viciously funny. I really liked it. The same author wrote Critical Care, which is also great.
Rae
Aug 02, 2008 Rae rated it really liked it
An American Peace Corps worker disappears in deepest darkest Sierra Leone. His best friend and father try in various ways to find him and are affected in different ways. This is a campy story in the tradition of Evelyn Waugh and Joseph Conrad. The tribal witchcraft angle is intriguing.
Jeanne
Mar 03, 2009 Jeanne rated it really liked it
This is about the search for a missing Peace Corps volunteer in Sierre Leone by his father and his best friend. It's satirical fiction and very amusing. My friend Belen read it and liked it a lot and since it was set in Africa I had to try it!
Alan
Aug 06, 2011 Alan added it
A peace corps volunteer in Sierra Leone disappears in mysterious circumstances. His best friend travels to Sierra Leoneto find him and is trapped in a world of witchcraft and cultural confusion. A satire with a fresh look at US society and culture from a different viewpoint.
Ashley
Nov 17, 2011 Ashley rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I wonder if this author knows what subtlety means? He bashed me over the head page after page describing the hyperinflation of his character's egos. I couldn't face the idea of reading his descriptions of Sierra Leone. Threw it away after 30 pages.
Ron
Aug 08, 2011 Ron rated it really liked it
A thrilling mystery/adventure tale intertwined with current affairs in a West African nation and a hallucinatory exploration of voodoo culture. First rate story telling from a former attorney who lived in the region as a Peace Corps worker.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »