Start by marking “Beasts of the Walking City (Walking Cities #1)” as Want to Read:
Beasts of the Walking City (Walking Cities #1)

Beasts of the Walking City (Walking Cities #1)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A roller-coaster ride through another world that will appeal to fans of Naomi Novak, Patrick Rothfuss, Lev Grossman and George R.R. Martin...

It’s not easy being a color-shifting, bourbon-loving Beast, even when you can travel between your own world and Earth’s past. Even when you’re working for the gangster Al Capone.

Now, Blackwell is on a one-way trip into the ruins of a
Published August 3rd 2012 by Choroleos Books

To ask other readers questions about Beasts of the Walking City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beasts of the Walking City

Luc Reid
If Del Law hasn't spent years lovingly crafting the setting of Beasts of the Walking City with layers upon layers of history, culture, clashing and cooperating races, magic, energy, portals to other worlds, cities, villages, feuds, families, conflicts, technology, creatures, and vendettas, he's done an excellent job pretending to have done so. What's more impressive is that he isn't building throwaway detail for spectacle alone: things that are initially fascinating just because they are so unus ...more
Louise K.
A well thought out and cleverly constructed world, with vibrant history and races, interesting and relatable characters, along with an engaging and well paced storyline have made this work very successful as both a Sci-fi and Fantasy novel.
However, as mentioned in other interviews, there were errors in the text which should have been picked up on during the editing. I mostly managed to overlook these during reading, and not be pulled out of the storyline, but there were occasions where I had to
It will leave you wanting more, in the best possible way. A tight page turner filled with imaginative characters inhabiting a vivid fantasy world.
Cheryl Eickhoff
Really enjoyed it. Fast-paced, interesting, with characters that kept me really hooked. I'd love to see a sequel.
I began this book as I do so many of my cheap or free Kindle ebooks, with very few expectations.
I've read numerous books that should never have been published. They lack story, characters the reader can care about, and proper grammar, spelling, form, etc.
This book suffers terribly from a lack of proofreading. There are missing letters in words, missing words altogether, and definite tense shifting that can throw you out of the story.
But, with all of that, the story is good. Very good. That's why
This is one different type of tale, full of all kinds of things: past, future, travel among lei lines, a bit steam punk, a bit dystopian, magic, some interesting species, and hey, Al Capone(?!). Certainly kept me reading almost non-stop as I had to find out what Blackwell was going to find himself embroiled in next. I'll be looking forward to the next installment.
Leif Anderson
This was a great introduction to this world system, and I recommend it. There is an interesting blend of urban fantasy, technomagic, and a few other sub-genres. My one complaint was that Law seems to be reaching hard to place this story in a larger tapestry, even though that tapestry and background do not yet exist. What I mean there is that especially near the end, there are a lot of hints about future events which cry out for sequels. This is fine if there is a whole overarching plot planned o ...more
This book was surprisingly decent, given that it attempts to contain the sci-fi and fantasy genres at the same time. Yes, that does mean aliens with magic. In spite of this, it was an engaging book with a solid plot and interesting characters.
Really enjoyed this story but I want to see THE MOVIE!! No movie yet? Bummer. This story was very creative and interesting but so much I want to see how it works or what it looks like. Great job.
A.R. DeClerck
One of the best epic fantasy and scifi Mashup I've read in awhile. I'll be chomping at the bit to see a sequel for this novel!
Excellent story. Fabulous world building. Excreble lack of editing.
Carey Mckenna Jones
I was mesmerized by the cover of this book and had to have it. And I’m so very happy to report that the story and writing is every bit as amazing as the outside. Do I usually read urban fantasy? No. But this book grabbed me, immersed me and would not let me go. The world the author has created is rich and detailed, with compelling characters and a plot that is so riveting, I just could not put down my Kindle until the end. I am ecstatic to have found this writer!
Interesting concept. Was annoyed by tiny errors that should have been caught in proofreading: in the middle of first-person narrative from Blackwell's POV, he is suddenly referred in 3rd person as in "Blackwell said", and so on. Also, the plural of craft is craft, not crafts, when you are talking about ships.

I think this book works best as a fast read. There is certainly enough texture in the world to make it fun.
Victoria Newman
Is a great book to read
It is very rare for me to not finish reading a book. The way this one continually changed the POV was very distracting, but the thing that annoyed me most was the styling of the main character, especially his language. The lingo didn't seem to fit in this story, and I finally gave up reading it even though I was near the end.
Jordanna East
Too jumbled. Too much going on. And the fact that Al Capone played a part in the plot was kind of ridiculous. I really wanted to like this one. The cover is gorgeous and the Blurb and Prologue were both intriguing and well-written.
Couldn't get into it. The language of the Mage really turned me off. Sounded much too modern teen-speak to me, which didn't seem to fit the story at all.
Maybe the wrong time to try to tackle such a complex story? Couldn't get into it. Didn't like the changing POV.
Jaime marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Kelly added it
Nov 25, 2015
Beatrix marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Steven Whitmore
Steven Whitmore marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Megan marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Amy marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Jan marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Jonathan Tyson
Jonathan Tyson marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Stephen Robertson
Stephen Robertson marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Carla marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Savanna Cowen
Savanna Cowen marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: ASIN in ISBN13 field 3 143 Sep 15, 2012 04:44PM
  • Legend of the Chosen (Destiny's Kingdom #1)
  • Toby Streams the Universe
  • Bad Radio (Emergent Earth, #1)
  • The Burning Sky (Halcyon #1)
  • Arson (Arson, #1)
  • An Oath of the Blood (Island Shifters, #1)
  • Khe
  • Amulet (DragonBlade #1)
  • Revenge of the Mad Scientist (Airship Adventure Chronicles #1)
  • Lacuna: Demons of the Void (Lacuna #1)
  • Savage (Daughters of the Jaguar, #1)
  • Golden Mane (The Adventures of Sarah Coppernick, #1)
  • Little Deadly Things
  • The Demon Of Synar (Forced To Serve, #1)
  • The Sixth Discipline (Haven #1)
  • The Heidelberg Effect (Tempus Fugitives Trilogy, #1)
  • The Girls From Alcyone (The Girls from Alcyone #1)
  • Rosetta (Jim Meade, Martian P.I. #1)