Start by marking “Beasts of the Walking City (Walking Cities #1)” as Want to Read:
Beasts of the Walking City (Walking Cities #1)

Beasts of the Walking City (Walking Cities #1)

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  116 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
A roller-coaster ride through another world that will appeal to fans of Naomi Novak, Patrick Rothfuss, Lev Grossman and George R.R. Martin...

It’s not easy being a color-shifting, bourbon-loving Beast, even when you can travel between your own world and Earth’s past. Even when you’re working for the gangster Al Capone.

Now, Blackwell is on a one-way trip into the ruins of a
Published August 3rd 2012 by Choroleos Books

To ask other readers questions about Beasts of the Walking City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beasts of the Walking City

Luc Reid
Aug 09, 2012 Luc Reid rated it really liked it
If Del Law hasn't spent years lovingly crafting the setting of Beasts of the Walking City with layers upon layers of history, culture, clashing and cooperating races, magic, energy, portals to other worlds, cities, villages, feuds, families, conflicts, technology, creatures, and vendettas, he's done an excellent job pretending to have done so. What's more impressive is that he isn't building throwaway detail for spectacle alone: things that are initially fascinating just because they are so unus ...more
Jordanna East
Jun 17, 2013 Jordanna East rated it it was ok
Too jumbled. Too much going on. And the fact that Al Capone played a part in the plot was kind of ridiculous. I really wanted to like this one. The cover is gorgeous and the Blurb and Prologue were both intriguing and well-written.
Louise K.
Nov 16, 2014 Louise K. rated it really liked it
A well thought out and cleverly constructed world, with vibrant history and races, interesting and relatable characters, along with an engaging and well paced storyline have made this work very successful as both a Sci-fi and Fantasy novel.
However, as mentioned in other interviews, there were errors in the text which should have been picked up on during the editing. I mostly managed to overlook these during reading, and not be pulled out of the storyline, but there were occasions where I had to
LaDawn
Couldn't get into it. The language of the Mage really turned me off. Sounded much too modern teen-speak to me, which didn't seem to fit the story at all.
Michael
Aug 15, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing
It will leave you wanting more, in the best possible way. A tight page turner filled with imaginative characters inhabiting a vivid fantasy world.
Zarah
Jul 11, 2016 Zarah rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-lendable
Hmmm, so-so; more good than bad, but not stellar. I generally liked this story. The bulk of the writing is fine. I certainly liked the idea and I think the characters. But it's that, "I think" that is the problem. The author somehow managed to write a (mostly) first person, present tense book and still allow me to finish it feeling like I didn't know the characters well. How is that even possible?

I say mostly because there are a lot of slip ups where the author dropped into third person or past
Karina
Sep 08, 2012 Karina rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
It is very rare for me to not finish reading a book. The way this one continually changed the POV was very distracting, but the thing that annoyed me most was the styling of the main character, especially his language. The lingo didn't seem to fit in this story, and I finally gave up reading it even though I was near the end.
Cheryl Eickhoff
Sep 29, 2012 Cheryl Eickhoff rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed it. Fast-paced, interesting, with characters that kept me really hooked. I'd love to see a sequel.
Michelle
Jul 26, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
I began this book as I do so many of my cheap or free Kindle ebooks, with very few expectations.
I've read numerous books that should never have been published. They lack story, characters the reader can care about, and proper grammar, spelling, form, etc.
This book suffers terribly from a lack of proofreading. There are missing letters in words, missing words altogether, and definite tense shifting that can throw you out of the story.
But, with all of that, the story is good. Very good. That's why
Tamara!
Dec 05, 2014 Tamara! rated it really liked it
This is one different type of tale, full of all kinds of things: past, future, travel among lei lines, a bit steam punk, a bit dystopian, magic, some interesting species, and hey, Al Capone(?!). Certainly kept me reading almost non-stop as I had to find out what Blackwell was going to find himself embroiled in next. I'll be looking forward to the next installment.
Leif Anderson
Oct 14, 2015 Leif Anderson rated it it was amazing
This was a great introduction to this world system, and I recommend it. There is an interesting blend of urban fantasy, technomagic, and a few other sub-genres. My one complaint was that Law seems to be reaching hard to place this story in a larger tapestry, even though that tapestry and background do not yet exist. What I mean there is that especially near the end, there are a lot of hints about future events which cry out for sequels. This is fine if there is a whole overarching plot planned o ...more
Annelise
Oct 03, 2014 Annelise rated it liked it
This book was surprisingly decent, given that it attempts to contain the sci-fi and fantasy genres at the same time. Yes, that does mean aliens with magic. In spite of this, it was an engaging book with a solid plot and interesting characters.
Heather
Mar 16, 2015 Heather rated it liked it
Really enjoyed this story but I want to see THE MOVIE!! No movie yet? Bummer. This story was very creative and interesting but so much I want to see how it works or what it looks like. Great job.
A.R. DeClerck
Nov 04, 2014 A.R. DeClerck rated it it was amazing
One of the best epic fantasy and scifi Mashup I've read in awhile. I'll be chomping at the bit to see a sequel for this novel!
Anverie
Aug 22, 2014 Anverie rated it really liked it
Excellent story. Fabulous world building. Excreble lack of editing.
Carey Mckenna Jones
Dec 14, 2013 Carey Mckenna Jones rated it it was amazing
I was mesmerized by the cover of this book and had to have it. And I’m so very happy to report that the story and writing is every bit as amazing as the outside. Do I usually read urban fantasy? No. But this book grabbed me, immersed me and would not let me go. The world the author has created is rich and detailed, with compelling characters and a plot that is so riveting, I just could not put down my Kindle until the end. I am ecstatic to have found this writer!
Eero
Aug 26, 2012 Eero rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, free-ebook
Interesting concept. Was annoyed by tiny errors that should have been caught in proofreading: in the middle of first-person narrative from Blackwell's POV, he is suddenly referred in 3rd person as in "Blackwell said", and so on. Also, the plural of craft is craft, not crafts, when you are talking about ships.

I think this book works best as a fast read. There is certainly enough texture in the world to make it fun.
Victoria Newman
Oct 29, 2014 Victoria Newman rated it it was amazing
Is a great book to read
Anna
Jan 14, 2013 Anna rated it did not like it
Maybe the wrong time to try to tackle such a complex story? Couldn't get into it. Didn't like the changing POV.
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Woodenpoet
Woodenpoet marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Emanuel
Emanuel marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Curtis Robison
Curtis Robison marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
SensBaby21
SensBaby21 marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Amy Best
Amy Best marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Terra
Terra marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Andrew Bowers
Andrew Bowers marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Jenny Whetzel
Jenny Whetzel marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Charlie
Charlie marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: ASIN in ISBN13 field 3 143 Sep 15, 2012 04:44PM
  • Legend of the Chosen (Destiny's Kingdom #1)
  • The Burning Sky (Halcyon #1)
  • Arson (Arson, #1)
  • Toby Streams the Universe
  • Bad Radio (Emergent Earth, #1)
  • Khe
  • Amulet (DragonBlade #1)
  • Savage (Daughters of the Jaguar, #1)
  • Lacuna: Demons of the Void (Lacuna #1)
  • The Sable City (Norothian Cycle, #1)
  • An Oath of the Blood (Island Shifters, #1)
  • Chosen (Guardians of the Word, #1)
  • Advance (Advance Industries, #1)
  • Song of the Summer King (The Summer King Chronicles, #1)
  • Little Deadly Things
  • The Heidelberg Effect (Tempus Fugitives Trilogy, #1)
  • Sword's Call (The King's Riders, #1)
  • Bleedover