Start by marking “L.L. Bean: The Making of an American Icon” as Want to Read:
L.L. Bean: The Making of an American Icon

L.L. Bean: The Making of an American Icon

L.L.Bean is one of only a handful of American companies to have attained almost legendary status in the minds of its consumers. Thanks to the integrity of its product line, consistently strong brand association, and the ability to change with customers needs, L.L.Bean embodies the best qualities long associated with traditional American living: rugged individualism, stubbo ...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Harvard Business Review Press

To ask other readers questions about L.L. Bean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L.L. Bean

Eduard
Nov 09, 2013 Eduard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Great book, describes how the grandson joined the company in the 60s, became CEO and his story until retirement in the 200s.

Points which impressed me are;
LL Bean had a focus on image before it became fashionable, they actually called it mystique initially for lack of a better term. The story shows that if you consistently focus on your brand and its story, it will pay off in the long term. It does mean you have to forgo incremental short term profits at times, but it's worth it.

The primary manne
Richard
Feb 20, 2017 Richard rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Good book interesting how LL Bean started the company and Leon kept to the strategy as time moved on. Keeping to the golden rules that LL set up! One of the things that LL would say when ask about moving the company forward was " It's good enough I have three meals a day and I can't eat four".
I also like how they would hire people who were into outdoor sports and they would go camping or fly fishing as a group until the mid 90s. LL only sold when he wore and what he liked and how it sold all tho
Kathy
Feb 18, 2017 Kathy rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites.
Brian
Nov 19, 2011 Brian rated it liked it
Shelves: business-retail
Leon Gorman the grandson of L. L. Bean provides a frank and solid analysis of how the retail company was forced to redefine itself for the modern age. The transition from a catalog company to retail and online with varied product lines is an interesting struggle even for the best of companies and L. L. Bean is in a far tighter niche market than most. Other reviewers have summarized well what is covered in each of the sections so I will not be labor that but one interesting note is that there are ...more
Faith
Aug 11, 2012 Faith rated it liked it
The first few chapters of this book, which are memoir by the author, offer fascinating insight into L.L. Bean himself and the author's chutzpah in taking over the company ahead of his uncle. The rest of the book was co-authored with a Harvard Business School bean counter and detail the meteoric growth of L.L. Bean the company. That part is much less interesting, largely because it's horribly repetitive. Bad collaboration.

I read along willingly enough, though. As the author says of LLB customers,
Thomas Mcclintock
Jun 24, 2013 Thomas Mcclintock rated it really liked it
Recommended to Thomas by: Karena Sinnott
I made it a priority to read this book because, while the writing is only practical, the information is fascinating and hard to find. Leon Gorman really seems to take you along with him in a unique review of his decades of leadership of a great company going through both prosperous and difficult times. With little experience at the beginning, he walks through each step of his climb internally and the company's rise globally. I hope to read more books like this!
Chris Gager
Nov 15, 2011 Chris Gager rated it liked it
I work at LLB so I got a free copy. Not a thrill-a-minute but an interesting look at the founding and growth of this still family owned retail semi-giant. I don't really know Leon but I have spoken with him while waiting on him in the store so I can add him to the list of people I know who've got books listed on Goodreads. Date read is approximate.
Debbie Blicher
Sep 02, 2013 Debbie Blicher rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
Best read by those who love and are very familiar with the LL Bean company; otherwise, it might really bore you. I am one of the non-bored, and even I found it tedious at times. As a book about a business, it is full of abstract description and empty descriptors.
Betsy
Aug 05, 2010 Betsy rated it it was amazing
Great book about the history of the L.L. Bean company and how they have changed and adapted and been proactive over the years to stay in business. A very interesting behind-the-scenes read about a successful business.
Dec 28, 2015 John rated it it was ok
Some interesting Bean factoids. The author was wholly responsible for the growth of the LL Bean story since the 1960s but the book is really a pretty dull read of his management undertakings during that time and dwelled on some of the internal employee and family factoids.

I would skip or skim.
Mike
Very interesting start, with the history of the company. The book gets a little sidetracked as Gorman basically talks a lot about how great he was and it goes on a little long, but a solid read. It made me want to go work for Bean's.
Chris
Apr 14, 2013 Chris rated it liked it
Better than I thought it would be as it had some real good LL Bean history as well as how to go about change management. For those of you who are not L.L. Bean fans, there are probably better turn around books to read but if you are a Bean fan, it had some great stories.
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 Lori Grant rated it really liked it
A should-read autobiograpy on leadership for knowledge workers, managers, directors, C-levels, and entrepreneurs.
daniel dirnfeld
Dec 10, 2016 daniel dirnfeld rated it it was amazing
Interesting history of the company.
Lyn
Jun 15, 2007 Lyn rated it really liked it
I love LL Bean and want to know more about the history of the company. We visited the main store in Maine on our Maine 2005 trip.
Alexandra
Feb 19, 2016 Alexandra rated it did not like it
I was really disappointed. I thought this would be a lot better but it is poorly written and frankly kind of boring.
Sidney
Sidney rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2008
Bill
Bill rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2012
Bill Peregoy
Bill Peregoy rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Steve Losier
Steve Losier rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2010
Jacob Kurtz
Jacob Kurtz rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2016
Samuel Katz
Samuel Katz rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Rob Higgins
Rob Higgins rated it really liked it
May 08, 2012
John rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2008
Bmathews
Bmathews rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2015
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2008
C.C.
C.C. rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2009
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Jim Bridger: Mountain Man
  • Tearing Down the Walls: How Sandy Weill Fought His Way to the Top of the Financial World. . .and Then Nearly Lost It All (Wall Street Journal Book)
  • Mr. Jefferson and the Giant Moose: Natural History in Early America
  • The One Best Way: Frederick Winslow Taylor and the Enigma of Efficiency
  • Manhood in the Making: Cultural Concepts of Masculinity
  • Woodcraft and Camping
  • The Go-Go Years: The Drama and Crashing Finale of Wall Street's Bullish 60's
  • Augustine: A New Biography
  • Masters of the Universe: Hayek, Friedman, and the Birth of Neoliberal Politics
  • Woodcraft and Camping
  • Winning: The Answers: Confronting 74 of the Toughest Questions in Business Today
  • The Man Behind the Microchip: Robert Noyce and the Invention of Silicon Valley
  • Leadership
  • War on the Run: The Epic Story of Robert Rogers and the Conquest of America's First Frontier
  • Edison: A Biography
  • Sherman: Soldier, Realist, American
  • Big Science: Ernest Lawrence and the Invention that Launched the Military-Industrial Complex
  • Call of the Wild