Shadowdance (Darkest London, #4)

Shadowdance (Darkest London #4)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  892 ratings  ·  193 reviews
Once a heart is lost in shadow...

Life has been anything but kind to Mary Chase. But the Society for the Suppression of Supernaturals has given her purpose. Now she's been tasked with catching a vicious murderer dubbed the Bishop of Charing Cross. But someone is already on the case—and the last thing he relishes is a partner.

Only someone who lives in darkness can find it.

Ja...more
Mass Market Paperback, 427 pages
Published December 17th 2013 by Forever

To ask other readers questions about Shadowdance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadowdance

Ferdy
Spoilers

-Nowhere near as good as I was anticipating. I was looking forward to Mary and Jack's story, their strange hatred for each other in earlier books was compelling, I was excited to know why they had such nasty attitudes whenever they crossed they paths. Sadly, the reason for their mutual hatred and their romance overall was a let down.

-Mary (immortal human machine of sorts) and Jack (speshul snowflake shifter) are forced to work together to find a notorious killer who's murdering demons an...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

The Darkest London series by Kristen Callihan has quickly become one of my favorites. There’s something to be said about Callihan’s imagination. There are no boundaries with her, no feat to difficult to accomplish. With larger than life characters, Callihan breathes passion and life into each individual, making it so easy for readers to fall in love with them.

Jack Talent has had a difficult past. But his blood is the most sought after thing in London at the moment. With a murderer on the loose,...more
Rose
"Shadowdance" pleasantly surprised me in every way as the latest installment in Kristen Callihan's "Darkest London" series. Wonderful attention to worldbuilding in a steampunk/supernatural environment, smoking chemistry between two very well developed characters, and a plot with many surprising revelations that it had me turning pages, not wanting to tear myself away from the beautiful writing or overarching tale.

This is probably my favorite book in the series to date.

"Shadowdance" begins where...more
AH
Initial Thoughts: Just awesome! Darkest London fans are in for a treat. This is the story of Jack Talent and his love interest Mary Chase. These two are so attracted to each other and the buildup of their relationship is very delicious. A nice mix of historical paranormal romance with some original steampunk elements.

My Review:
I’ve been a fan of Kristen Callihan’s Darkest London series from the first book Firelight. The author creates an intriguing world of 19th century London and adds original...more
Cristina
3,5 stars but 5 stars for the hero!

I have to say I usually feel a connection with Kristen Callihan's characters and I was expecting the same thing from this novel but it didn't feel the same. Something seemed a bit off.

I have two complaints though. One, I thought there were too many different characters in the book and sometimes, as a reader, it was hard to keep up with the many different roles the characters played in the story. The other thing I didn't like was the lead female; I had no stron...more
Aly is so frigging bored
I don't know what happened with this book but I just don't care anymore. I don't care about the characters, i don't care about the action and I don't care about the world...
Jen (Red Hot Books)
The second half of this book rocked my world. It was filled with angsty goodness, tortured hero mana of the gods, sexual tension, tremendous payoff, and a great set-up for the next book. It was everything I hoped Jack’s story would be. The first half? you ask. Well, let’s just say there was a lot of waiting. Waiting for some sign between the hero and heroine that their attraction was returned. Waiting for some hint on the murder mystery. Waiting for the other shoe to drop on Jack’s big secret. A...more
Farrah
Dark, romantic, and thrilling, Shadowdance was a fantastic steampunk romance. The creepy demons of mysterious murders had chills going down my spine, while the romance dark, sweet, and steamy. I really enjoyed reading this book.

Mary was a strong heroine. She wasn't the type to sit and wait around. She fought for what she believed in and what she wanted. She was tough, brave, clever, and likable. I thought she was great.

Jack was also amazing. He had one hell of a dark past, not the least of which...more
Beth

Two wondrously developed characters who are struggling with mental and physical wounds from horrendous pasts come clashing together in Shadowdance.

Mary Chase has been making a life for herself with the Society for the Suppression of Supernaturals. Her only torment is Jack Talent, a difficult, wounded agent that she saved from being a blood whore. A new revelation in an on going case reveals Jack might be their culprit, Mary requests to join Jack's investigation to find the proof she needs. What...more
Julia
Once again Kristen Calihan flirts with the tropes that make paranormal romance so beloved and familiar, while adding twists and flourishes that are entirely her own. Jack and Mary's story started off slow for me, I became distracted by the shear number of obstacles and secrets swirling around them. I loved that Jack may be a murder, hunted by his own colleagues, but add to that his secret history with Mary, both of their past sexual assaults, and the story was muddled and overstimulating. One by...more
Darcy
I would have liked this one better had Mary and Jack not spent most of the book sniping and throwing venom at each other. It got old, especially when you realized that each one liked the other, but had to pretend not to. I was glad when finally they were able to admit their feelings and liked how things ended.

I did like how everyone kept trying to show Jack that he was one of them, part of their odd family, even if he had a hard time believing it.
Jen
Jack Talent and Mary Chase

Wow, this is going to be a difficult review to write. This book was soooo freaking good. It will probably go on my top list for 2013. To say anything will be to spoil though. I cannot wait for the next couple books. The setup for them was awesome. Full review to come on Fiction Vixen Book Reviews
Alicia
May 14, 2013 Alicia marked it as to-read
I like the cover!

But someday someone's going to have to explain to me why having men with their shirts open is so normal on covers. She's fully clothed, and his shirt is open. Not that I'm complaining, but come on. I just don't get it. Are you trying to convince me that he's sexy?
Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}
What a ride! It's always a bittersweet ending when I read the Darkest London series...can't wait for the next book!
Douglas Meeks
The story of Mary Chase and Jack Talent began in the last book Winterblaze (Darkest London) and came into a well written story of intrigue, romance and sacrifice.

Mary Chase and Jack Talent have seemingly hated each other to anyone who watched them, they have been put together to work on a case of deaths of certain supernaturals in London. Talk about your love hate relationships but this is MUCH more than a romance. This is the story of two people whose lives have been intertwined from the beginn...more
Alexa

My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

Shadowdance is the fourth book in Kristen Callihan's Darkest London series. I have yet to read the first three books, so I had no idea what to expect. I figured each book could be read as its own story, but since I wasn't familiar with the world found in this series, I still was a little unsure that I would be able to follow it as well had I read the previous books. I really had nothing to worry about, though, because once I started rea...more
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

There are currently four installments in Kristen Callihan’s Darkest London series and every single one of them has been a 5-star read in my opinion, including Shadowdance. The last three books have fallen more on the historical side of paranormal romance but this newest one is packed full of steampunk-y goodness which only made me love it more. The story is captivating in that I-can’t-put-it-down kind of way and even though there aren’t any love scenes until the very end,...more
Lori
ARC

If you haven't read the previous books then stop reading this review and pick up a copy of whichever book you stopped on! If you are a fan of the series, then you'll probably want to issue a blanket apology to any and all as you'll be ignoring responsibilities until this book is done!

“In a different world, I might have tried to make you mine from the first.” His thick whisper lanced her clockwork heart and had her breath quickening as he continued. “In a different world, I might have deserv
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A fantastical world with dark and terrible secrets and a dose of pent-up sexual tension that kept me hooked to learn all the mysteries of these complex characters.

Opening Sentence: Life was not a long, straight road, but a series of turns.

The Review:

I may be a little biased with this review because it is no secret that I absolutely love this series. I have been intrigued with the relationship between Jack Talent and Mary Chase ever since the...more
Lynn ಠ_ಠ
May 09, 2013 Lynn ಠ_ಠ marked it as to-read
Love the cover! And I'm very intrigued by Talent and Mary Chase's story.
It's the only thing that's keeping me on finishing Winterblaze at the moment..
Keri
Extremely awesome read!! Jack and Mary was phenomenal together. Will have to gather my thoughts to come up with a review that stands up to this book!
Crazy4more
4 stars

What a dance Mary and Jack endured!

I must admit it took them forever to get past the hatred... Thus took me a bit to get into the storyline. Once there, I never looked back.

As with the previous books, this has everything that was dark, mysterious, intriguing. But most of all very romantic.... One they got the party going... Just took my breath away.

Also like the previous books, I wondered how were they going to solve this problem but the Callihan's love for detail, plot and character dev...more
Samina ~ Escapism~

Darkest London books are always a treat for me. Whenever I am bored with the usual Historical romances or even the odd urban fantasy, I pick up Kristen Callihan’s books and chase all my blues away.
I have thoroughly enjoyed the last three book in the Darkest London series so when Shadowdance came out, I was confident that it would entertain me again. Well, it did not disappoint at all. Shadowdance tells the story of Mary and Jack who have an odd relationship. They always argue and bicker but bene...more
Paranormal Haven
Jack Talent has spent years pushing Mary Chase away but it’s not for the reasons she believes. His desire for her only grows more intense yet he has deemed himself irrevocably damaged so he keeps her at arm’s length with crude comments. Mary Chase doesn’t understand Jack’s attitude but he’ll have to learn to live with his discomfort of her because they’re charged with the task of finding a murderer that’s killing demons and leaving their bodies for all of London to see.

If you haven’t read the pr...more
Melindeeloo
I really liked Shadowdance: The Darkest London Series: Book 4, I was really happy to learn the reasons that there has been such animosity between Jack and Mary in the previous books. I was truly interested in their back stories, so I didn't really notice the pacing issues that some people had with the story (but then again I've been listening to audio books lately, so in comparison this popped right along.)

That said, since I was happy learning about Jack and Mary - they both have some pretty bi...more
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
Another great instalment of The Darkest London series. Despite the seeming animosity between GIM Mary Chase and the shapeshifter Jack Talent they are forced to work together to solve a SOS case, The Bishop of Charing Cross murders. But soon these two damaged people cannot deny what is between them, despite the secrets that threaten to tear them apart.

Loved these characters and the expanding world of Darkest London that Callihan has created. She has a lovely evocative way of writing, you can near...more
Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho)
Callihan has suckered me into reading historicals. She does an amazing job of blending the paranormal with historical and with Shadowdance she has given us another element, steampunk. Don’t worry, if steampunk is not your thing. The elements are not heavy but where Callihan hinted at steampunk in the previous books in her Darkest London series she gives us a heroine with a clockwork heart, Mary.

And who has the key to that heart? Master Jack Talent. The surly and handsome hero of Shadowdance. At...more
Alicia
I'm going to make a bold statement: This is the best book, the best story, and the best Hero and Heroine in The Darkest London Series.

That's bold because I really, really enjoy this series and the first story kinda blew me away with how unique it was.

But there's just something about Jack and Mary that are *perfect*. Plus, this story really focuses on the shady underworld of supernatural creatures in London. I don't think Jack and Mary even acknowledge their attraction to one another until almo...more
Melliane
Mon avis en Français

My English review

Ah what a great story! The PNR books by Kristen Callihan are always a pleasure to read and although I have not read the third book, I was excited to be able to immerse myself in this fourth installment. After following the sisters in the first volumes, we now turn the stories to the secondary characters that we had the chance to discover and this is now about Jack and Mary.

Jack tries to escape his past for years, radically changing his life elsewhere to compl...more
Book Giveaways: ARC giveaway: Shadowdance by Kristen Callihan 1 14 Dec 11, 2013 08:01AM
  • My Lady Quicksilver (London Steampunk, #3)
  • Grim Shadows (Roaring Twenties, #2)
  • The Kraken King  (Iron Seas, #4)
  • Wicked as She Wants (Blud, #2)
  • Touch of Steel (Clockwork Agents, #2)
  • Kinked (Elder Races, #6)
  • Long Live the Queen (The Immortal Empire, #3)
  • The Red Plague Affair (Bannon & Clare, #2)
  • Sweet Revenge (Nemesis, Unlimited, #1)
Kristen Callihan is a child of the 80’s, which means she's worn neon skirts, black-lace gloves, and combat boots (although never all at once) and can quote John Hughes movies with the best of them. A life long daydreamer, she finally realized that the characters in her head needed a proper home and thus hit the keyboard. She believes that falling in love is one of the headiest experiences a person...more
More about Kristen Callihan...
Firelight (Darkest London, #1) Moonglow (Darkest London, #2) Winterblaze (Darkest London, #3) Ember (Darkest London, #0.5) Entwined (Darkest London, #3.5)

“Walking next to Talent, she felt the singular, cozy comfort that steals upon one who is with a good friend.” 1 likes
“A kiss, he said, is a conversation. Easing closer, he continued to speak as he caressed her cheeks with featherlight stokes of his thumbs.

"A first kiss", his lips neared hers, is an introduction and then his mouth brushed against hers. The contact sparked, sharp and bright like lightning, yet his lips were soft, unexpectedly so. Her breath caught the same instant his did.

Against her mouth he whispered "That was Hello" His breath mingled with hers as he waited, his lips so close she could feel their warmth. For a moment she simply breathed him in growing heady on the scent of him and the tight anticipation gathering in her belly. Then she understood. Nerves fluttering, she brushed her lips across his as he had done. Again his breath hitched, as if he too felt that same spark, that hot need. Her eyes drifted closed and his voice poured over her like warm cream.

"This is, 'I'm Jack'.”