Start by marking “Desolate (Desolation, #2)” as Want to Read:
Desolate (Desolation, #2)

Desolate (Desolation #2)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  284 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Where darkness lives, all becomes desolate . . .

It’s been two months since sixteen-year-old Desolation Black chose Earth over Hell and her friend Miri over her eternal love, Michael.

Desi goes through the motions of life: school, training, remaining vigilant against the forces of darkness, but her dreams are full of the choices she wishes she could change. When she’s injur
Published July 3rd 2012 by Createspace (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Desolate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desolate

Jenette
"Desolate" by Ali Cross is the much-anticipated sequel to "Become", and occurs two months after the events in the previous novel. As the title suggests, this is not a happy-go-lucky book. It is an intense, dark fantasy in which good people are forced to make dreadful choices, then live through the consequences as they continue to fight against evil. The characters are brought face-to-face with nightmares and not everyone comes out unscathed. Throughout the story, however, there are glimmers of h ...more
Cherie
Ali Cross’s DESOLATE emotes darkness like a demon from Hell.

Two months ago, sixteen-year-old Desolation “Desi” Black lost Michael, her eternal love, to the depths of Hell. Now, she must not only find a way to save him but also Heimdall, the keeper of the Rainbow Bridge and the gates between the worlds. Yet an injury threatens to destroy her heavenly spark, and she’ll soon learn her choice on who she is to Become is not so black and white.

DESOLATE drops the reader two months after BECOME. The cha
Jessica Karou
What a crazy story! And the chilff-hanger!! UGH!!

I cannot imagine the battle that will happen next, all the angels and demons fighting. Maybe even Loki and Obin will have an epic battle!
Desi and Michael's love is so amazing. It isn't mushy, it just transcends everything. That is what true soul-mates are.
Pyxi
Ali Cross has done it again! I didn’t think I could enjoy Desolate as much as I enjoyed Become but wow!

Desolate starts us off a few months after Become. Desi is deeply regretting her choices and is slowly destroying herself with the guilt of choosing to save Miri over Michael. She is coming apart at the seams and she only wants to undo the harm she caused her true love Michael.

When Miri starts having dark and prophetic dreams about the end of days, Desi is convinced Hell is just getting started
Penny
**I received this book from a Goodreads first-reads giveaway**

I was so happy to get all three books in the series in the giveaway, so I don't have to stop and wait after every book. From the title I assumed that all of the struggles Desi had in the first book were going to come into play in this book and it did. Her character struggle seems to be a redeeming quality of this book. I appreciated that she wasn't this shining example of goodness. The ending of the book was also a really great cliffh
Heidi Garrett
I am really enjoying this series. I thought the first book, Become, was a clever, fresh addition to the YA Dark Fantasy genre and this second book, Desolate, was even better. And GOSH, I love the covers! What makes me like these books by Ali Cross so much? Here's the short list:

1. Did I mention the covers?
2. Desi Black is the devil's daughter--literally--but she's not just that. And the more than that is what keeps her pulled in opposite directions and struggling with her power.
3. The demon wan
Davidandkelley Crandall
Powerful and Threatening with characters who are in a war of good and evil. Cross vividly begins the storyline with a tone to match the title in every way leaving readers desperately turning the pages to find out which Desi will choose. The characters are very well depicted while fighting their individual demons and discovering the valuable relationships they have with each other. Cross has expertly continued this series memorably with this sequel to Book One.

Evil is a prominent emotion and read
Christine Fonseca
Ali Cross out did herself with this sequel that is better than the first!!! In this story, Ali goes darker and deeper, offering a story that is beautifully written and artfully crafted. If you liked BECOME, you will be blown away with this next installment.

A very enthusiastic 5 stars. Brava!Absolutely one of my favorite reads
Laura Frost
Sometimes the middle book in a planned trilogy feels like a place holder. That is not the case here. Desolate by Ail Cross is a strong stand alone novel that just happens to fall the middle of a trilogy.

Desi holds my heartstrings tight in her evil little fist. Her fight to hold back the evil is one that everyone has to deal with at some point in their lives. Sure, maybe we all don't have the Devil as a father, but we all fight the good fight everyday. Seeing Desi fight for everything right in
Haley Keller
This is the second book in the Desolation series. I reviewed the first book here back in October.

I loved this book so much more than the first one, and I did enjoy the first one. This one though was amazing, I thought. It was very climatic, and I was constantly trying to figure out what was going to happen. The second book in a series is usually the slowest (especially in a trilogy), but I definitely don't think that that was true for this one. The entire book was just one epic event after the o
Gary
Desolate (Desolation 2) is just as amazing as Become, more so because it didn’t have the slow start. Prepare yourself for the twist.

I really wanted to start this book after finishing the first, but life and the Olympics called. In a way I’m glad. It gave me a chance to digest the first book. I like the character of Desolation, but I can’t even imagine what kind of life she’s life to be so freaking pessimistic. This girl isn’t just half empty; she shatters the glass so nothing CAN be held.

Every
Kelly Jones
Sep 09, 2012 Kelly Jones marked it as to-read
I am really loving this series, I can barely wait until the last book comes out in December. It is so torturous seeing Desi being torn every which way, and the guilt she feels over what happens to Michael is almost driving her to the cold wastelands of Hell, where the pull seems to be calling her more and more. She tries so hard to maintain her spark of goodness, and kindle her light from the Valkyrie in her blood, but she struggles more and more as the book progresses.
So much unfolds in this bo
Shannon
"WHERE DARKNESS LIVES, ALL BECOMES DESOLATE..."

Desi’s path is a difficult one. Two months ago, she was forced to decide the fate of the lives of two people she loved – Miri (her best friend) or Michael (her forever love). The Hallowed tell her she made the right choice. Still the guilt of her decision to save Miri and damn Michael into the bowels of Hell to be tormented for all eternity by her father, Lucifer, weighs on her. She finds a feeble distraction in training, school, and the members of
Tiffany Holme
Hear that? The silence, the complete void of anything. That is me in shock and still trying to scramble to recover from this one. I mean I loved it but there is so much to digest, process and hope for. Ali brings her same riveting writing style to the table but throws a much darker and harder spin on this book. This is a place where the evil draws strength and the light struggles to go. *sigh* Nightmares and darkness that makes even the best of people in this one see the shadows and question the ...more
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Ali Cross!)
This is book 2 in the Desolation series, and picks up 2 months after the end of book 1 ‘Become’. **Warning – some unavoidable spoilers for book 1**
Desi is holding it together as best she can, knowing that her beloved – Michael is stuck in hell with her father Loki, and there’s little that she can do to help him.
Her friend Miri is having terrible nightmares about a demon on a grey horse, that
Heather
The second book in the Desolation series by Ali Cross begins where the first book left off. Desi and James are living in Lucy's apartment where they begin trying to live a normal life. The problem is that Desi continues to have dreams about Michael living in Hell. When Desi' best friend Miri begins to have dreams about a horseman from Hell coming to claim the Earth things begin to change.

The Hallowed meet and begin to prepare for the coming of the horseman. Unfortunately Desi begins to be pull
Eric Townsend
Now this is what I’m talking about! Where Become, the first book in the Desolation series, focuses on developing the goodness in Desi, Desolate is all about the evil. Also, Become had to spend a large amount of the story building a religious-heavy framework, since that was already in place Desolate got to focus on action and lots of it.

The pacing and flow of Desolate was perfect, I couldn’t stop reading even if I wanted to. In Desolate there is a great mix of action scenes and internal conflict
Autumn
I received this book to give an honest review.

Poor Desi just can not take a break! When she lost her beloved Michael two months ago, Desi and her friends Miri, James, Longinus, Knowles, and Cornelius all try to figure out a way to get him back! But that is easier said than done.

Miri ends up having dreams of a horseman, and Desi knows she has to stop him before he does any damage to Earth! But who is this horseman? Now while fighting the horseman she is injured and next thing you know Desi's evi
Heather Alexander
I was given this book in return for an honest review. Desolation is back and so are her cohorts, Miri, James, Longinus,Knowles, and Cornelius. Desi is in despair due to her only love, Michael, being sent to hell because of her. She is desperate to find a way to get him back. It happens sooner than she thinks. Miri is having her prophetic dreams about the apocolypse and how Desi is the only one that can stop the horsemen. Desi does come up against the 4th horseman, guess who?? Michael, they wound ...more
C.M. Brown
'Desolate', Book Two of Desolation, by Ali Cross continues Desolation's story as she struggles with the two sides of her inner self - light and dark! A mixture of Greek mythology, angels and demons, this paranormal story brings readers into a new realm as the sides of good and evil try to persuade Desolation to 'Become.'

Trying to understand her love for Michael and her driving need to be loved by her father, Loki, the Lord of Darkness, Desolation is caught up in a personal struggle to decide whe
Cheree Alsop
Ali Cross has a wonderful vision with her books that she shares with wonderful prose and stunning imagery. She takes us back to Desi's world where she battles with the two parts of herself, her halo and her shadow. Her journey takes her to deeper depths and greater inner turmoil as she battles with demons both inside and out. Insight into Michael's part of the journey adds to the story and we get to see more of the devotion and pain they go through in order to protect the world and each other. I ...more
Suka Babe
So I almost tossed my kindle I was so annoyed at this long continuous whine.
Tabitha Wilson
OH MY! I did not see that coming. Michael is back but I’m not sure if he is back for good, Desi is well… I don’t know for sure. She seems to be having an internal battle and I want the good, warm Desolation to win but with Loki in her ear I’m not so sure. Miri, sweet lovable Miri. So much has happened to this girl but she has stayed strong, especially with James by her side. I love the direction this series is going and I cannot wait to get the other books!!
Tasha Seegmiller
It had been a long time since I read Become, and I was nervous I wouldn't be able to remember the story, but Cross does a great job weaving reminders into the plot so I was not lost all. I loved Desi more in this book than the first, primarily because her choices are, remarkably, harder. The characters are phenomenally complex and the plot twists and twists. Thankfully, I can jump right into the final book.
Erika
Meh...I decided to give the second book a chance. The quick action covers over the under developed story. I think I would have enjoyed this novel a lot more if the author has trimmed it back and developed more of the characters and plot points.

Also, I was so sick of conversation-Desi says something mean/rude-Desi runs away-Desi is now evil-but it's okay because Michael shows up and she's good.
Janie
I was given this book by the author in return for an honest review.

I cannot believe how good this series of books are and cannot wait for the third book, as I really need to no if Desi ever get's her "spark" back and if her an Michael end up together as they should or if Desi is to spend the rest of eternity at her father's side in Hell!!! This really was another excellent read.
Kristyn Dodge
Great story that really digs into the light and dark side of anyone. It showed a personal struggle that any reader can relate to. It also covered the complexity of human emotions and relationships, especially in times of crisis. All in all, Ali created a story that both entertains and speaks to the reader. It's a book that I will read again and again.
Lauren
I was given a copy of this book by the author. Desolation finds herself leaning more toward her dark side and away from Michael. I enjoyed the twists and turns even though I wanted to slap her a few times for her lack of compassion!! Excellent series, I can not wait to read the next book.
Veray Carter
I love the characters and the story line. She has an interesting take on the story of Odin and Loki. Lots of action, and good verses evil type stuff. The romance is lovey too. I can't wait for the next book to see how everything comes together in the end.
Angel Boles
Wow, is all I can say. This is so much better than the 1st book. The love shared in this book is amazing. Men are so much in fiction. Startingt he 3rd book now.
  • Libera Me (Requiem, #2)
  • Fire with Fire (Demonblood, #2)
  • Charade (Heven and Hell, #2)
  • Sacred Bloodlines (The Sacred Guardians, #1)
  • Covenant (The Books of Raziel, #2)
  • Centaur Legacy (Touched, #2)
  • Where There's A Will (Good Girl Series #2)
  • ReAwakened (Angel Creek, #2)
  • Falling (Fade, #2)
  • Feathermore (Feathermore, #1)
  • Rhyn's Redemption (Rhyn Trilogy, #3)
  • Dark Seraphine (Seraphine Trilogy, #1)
  • The Curse of the Rose (The Rose Chronicles #1)
  • Caged by Damnation (Caged, #2)
  • Waiting for Mercy (Cambion, #2)
  • The Taste of Magic
  • Any Other Night
  • Give Me Forever (Paranormal City, #1)
Ali Cross is a ninja novelist with a black belt in awesome. She lives in Utah with her kickin' husband, two sparring sons, one ninja cat, one sumo dog and four zen turtles.

Ali writes middle grade fiction under the pen name Alex Banks.
More about Ali Cross...

Desolation (3 books)
  • Become (Desolation, #1)
  • Destined (Desolation, #3)
Become (Desolation, #1) Destined (Desolation, #3) Blood Crown Personal Demons (Desolation Diaries #1) The Seer (Desolation Diaries #2)